HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:52 PM

I just booked tickets Aug 4 - 14 Can't wait...it's been 11 years since I was last there. These pics have got me so excited.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wowsers. Awesome photos. A circle tour of Iceland is very high on my bucket list.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:19 PM

Honest question about Iceland...

I'm incredibly intrigued and it's at the top of the list of places to experience. But I am also a fan of the built environment and how it complements the natural settings we started with. These Icelandic photo threads are always amazing...but how much effort is necessary and how much of a trade-off is it between experiencing the Icelandic landscape and environment and actually doing the Reykjavic thing and exploring the urban element? Are they two distinct, separate entities? Is one more worth pursuing than the other.

I guess my concern is booking a trip to Iceland and then concerning myself with driving the rim constantly in search of photo opportunities and settings, but maybe leaving the trip somewhat hollow without the experiences of the human element.

Anyone care to chime in?

Oh, also - great shots.

Last edited by AFW523; May 17, 2016 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:48 AM

Wow, it looks like a Photograhers paradise! Allot of beautiful shots here! I sometimes see deals of cheaper flights to Europe if you include a stopover in Iceland (Icelandair). Might be worth looking into.
I also love how Iceland handled the Credit Crisis. They let the banks fail and put some of the bankers in jail. From what I've read, the people were hit hard by this, but it was the first country to come out of the recession and they now control their destiny. They recently kicked their leader to the curb for being one of the people exposed in the Panama Papers. He actually seemed to be a decent person, but since he didn't come clean, he paid a price.
I would be inerested if any of the above topics came up during your visit there? Is the above true? How do the citizens feel about it?

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
Honest question about Iceland...

I'm incredibly intrigued and it's at the top of the list of places to experience. But I am also a fan of the built environment and how it complements the natural settings we started with. These Icelandic photo threads are always amazing...but how much effort is necessary and how much of a trade-off is it between experiencing the Icelandic landscape and environment and actually doing the Reykjavic thing and exploring the urban element? Are they two distinct, separate entities? Is one more worth pursuing than the other.

I guess my concern is booking a trip to Iceland and then concerning myself with driving the rim constantly in search of photo opportunities and settings, but maybe leaving the trip somewhat hollow without the experiences of the human element.

Anyone care to chime in?

Oh, also - great shots.

I definitely wouldn't fly all the way to Iceland only to experience the "urban" element of it all. Reykjavik has a very energetic pulse, packs a far larger punch than you'd expect for a greater area of just 200,000 (more than any other city of similar size I can think of) and has lots to do in terms of nightlife and cute little streets to walk around. That being said, it is indeed small and honestly, outside the small core I wouldn't call it a pretty or walkable city by any means. The majority of people in RVK live in relatively drab apartment blocks made out of cement, usually painted in gray or white. The newer developments are much nicer, but generally, it's mid-rise commie block style and also extremely spread out, much like a US city. I can't think of another European city that is as autocentric and sprawly as Reykjavik is.

Example
http://borgarblod.is/wp-content/uplo...0holt-mynd.jpg

http://www.visir.is/apps/pbcsi.dll/s...7.jpg?NoBorder

http://www.rentalsclue.com/wp-conten...15/11/2116.jpg

But it's what I like about being there--it's an interesting mix of European and American design.

I'd give a few days in Reykjavik, and then spend 4-5 days definitely traveling around the country. That is where the wonder truly lies...it's like traversing a different planet. Even when you land, you think you're on a moon. The countryside is sprinkled with wild animals just roaming about and the land is so pure.

Long story short, you can do both the urban and wild experience, and you shouldn't miss out on either.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:09 PM

Incredible set of photos, from stylish urban scenes to surreal natural landscapes. You're making it real difficult on deciding which destination I should go to for my big trip later this year.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 7:18 PM
我是柏林人

A perfect place to enjoy the loneliness.

Thank you for your professionel pictures!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos