HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 12:31 AM
dream fast

Ping Tom Park yesterday 10-5

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Man, that building the left is looking in pretty bad shape now. That is the building with the live blues in it, correct?
Both have relocated and the building is coming down very soon

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 6:36 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

riverwalk

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2508669.story

Chicagoland Chicago floats vision for riverwalk
The concept is there; now officials to explore funding options

By Jon Hilkevitch, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:00 a.m. CDT, October 8, 2012

Attempting to create another popular venue like Millennium Park, the city is unveiling a proposed $100 million build-out of the Chicago River riverwalk stretching from State to Lake streets, complete with distinctive names and themes for each of the six blocks.........

The new portion, continuing along the south bank of the river, will house more restaurants. But it is also intended to offer individual spaces between the bridges spanning the river — spaces that are naturalistic, recreational, even playful, and above all welcoming to residents, visitors and people of all ages, according to the design team, which consists of Sasaki Associates Inc., Alfred Benesch & Co., Ross Barney Architects and Jacobs/Ryan Associates. The city hired the firms last year after a competitive bidding process..........

The various themes that the mayor's office plans to announce this week are:

•"The Boardwalk," from Lake to Franklin streets, a wood-planked section dotted by floating gardens and an iconic bridge bringing people from Upper Wacker to the riverwalk.

•"The Jetty," from Franklin to Wells streets, a learning center promoting the ecology of the river, from native plants and wildflowers to fish and frogs.

•"The Swimming Hole," from Wells to LaSalle streets, a recreational area envisioned as featuring a "zero-depth fountain" for children to splash around in. It will be chlorinated, but the goal is to eventually make the river clean enough to swim in.

•"The River Theater," from LaSalle to Clark streets, landscaped with trees providing shade and a full-width staircase linking Upper Wacker and the riverwalk.

•"The Cove," from Clark to Dearborn streets, which may include kayak rentals and space for nonmotorized watercraft to dock next to the promenade.

•"The Marina," from Dearborn to State streets, featuring restaurants and public seating to sit back and watch the river traffic, which ranges from water taxis and sightseeing boats to Fire Department patrols and work barges............

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 7:13 PM

Well. This seems optimistic?
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
HELLS YEAH!

This lot is down the street from one of my buildings, and I have long been keen on what is planned there. A development like this is perfect, and will improve property values. I hope to see it move forward. Spyguy, are you able to provide more details, or larger renderings?
Yeah, West Town is seriously coming into its own now; and about time as it has all the essential elements of being a great urban neighborhood with the bonus of having a fairly progressive neighborhood group that seams to really understand what city living is and wants a higher-density, pedestrian friendly community.

TUP, you should become a member of the East Village Association given your property interest in the community. Their dues are fairly cheap and you can help promote the neighborhood becoming an even better and more active part of our urban fabric.

This was in the EVA blog post on the Chicago Bowl site:
Quote:
Parking would be accessed from the alley behind Commercial Park at 1845 N. Rice St., with a loading dock and 16 retail spaces west of 71 spaces for renters — 27 at ground level and 44 on a mezzanine deck.
What a brilliant way to shove parking into the building envelope. Your ground floor retail is going to be 13' minimum floor to floor anyway, so just have a slightly higher first floor and then double stack in the parking behind the retail. Completely out of sight and out of mind from the streetscape.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 8:27 PM

5436 N Clark Redevelopment

A demolition permit was issued last week for a condemned former auto garage in Andersonville at 5436 N Clark. Candea Development is planning a four story condo development with 6 residential units and 2 retail spots.

Current conditions:

Photo by me.

Proposed development:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 8:43 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Yeah, West Town is seriously coming into its own now; and about time as it has all the essential elements of being a great urban neighborhood with the bonus of having a fairly progressive neighborhood group that seams to really understand what city living is and wants a higher-density, pedestrian friendly community.

TUP, you should become a member of the East Village Association given your property interest in the community. Their dues are fairly cheap and you can help promote the neighborhood becoming an even better and more active part of our urban fabric.
^ Problem is, I'm not a resident of EV, I just own a property there, so I'm not sure if that counts. Also, it would be different if I was a significant land owner, but as of right now just owning one property probably won't cut it. Perhaps that may change in the future?

It's good to see an experienced developer like the Fifields doing this project, which means it is much more likely to get done. They must see the same potential in this neighborhood that I do. The only problem with this hood is that it gets a bit shady as you go further east or south, but the bones are fantastic.

It may not be evident on paper yet, but on the ground property in areas like this are really hot. If the Fifields, a downtown highrise developer, are moving in, then you know that this neighborhood has made it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolk View Post
A demolition permit was issued last week for a condemned former auto garage in Andersonville at 5436 N Clark. Candea Development is planning a four story condo development with 6 residential units and 2 retail spots.

Current conditions:

Photo by me.

Proposed development:

Nice enough and a definite improvement from it's current use.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:32 PM

Riverwalk renders:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:51 PM
dream fast

Varied & ambitious riverwalk plans ^.

3 hotels

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Gems lse

I know that folks have typically posted info about GEMS in the Coast page, but since it doesn't really belong there, thought I would add this here, in regards to GEMS phase I. I noticed yesterday that the construction trailer on the site has very recently been removed. I'm assuming site prep (not that there will be very much at all prior to caisson work, given the diminutive parcel size), may begin very shortly - particuarly given the aggressiveness of the timeline (although it's almost exceedingly difficult to imagine how phase I could still possibly open in 2013!)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Nice enough and a definite improvement from it's current use.
Good to see that condos are being built again. I also see a new condo building going up along montrose and magnolia in Uptown. These are the only condos I've seen go up since the crash. Surprised to see that they aren't going in Lakeview or Roscoe Village again first. I think that when things really going again Uptown will see a big boom. When you think about it, that is the only neighborhood on the northside that doesn't have a huge NIMBY contingency protesting every new development. In fact it has the opposite, most people there seem to be clamoring for more market rate development. So the developers should go in there, where there is the path of least resistance. There are several properties that would be good for hi-rises in Uptown.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:16 PM
You had me at herro...

As far as Grant Park - I really think north of Roosevelt until Randolph you could easily get by getting rid of parking on Columbus and slimming it from 6 lanes to 4. I'm not on it much, but it never seems to warrent 6 lanes. I very rarely see backups there.

Put a planted median down the center and it will open the park up so much more. Now it's an 8 lane road if you include the parking. No one wants to see cars parked in a strip right through the heart of the park and then throw in that huge swath of concrete.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
As far as Grant Park - I really think north of Roosevelt until Randolph you could easily get by getting rid of parking on Columbus and slimming it from 6 lanes to 4. I'm not on it much, but it never seems to warrent 6 lanes. I very rarely see backups there.

Put a planted median down the center and it will open the park up so much more. Now it's an 8 lane road if you include the parking. No one wants to see cars parked in a strip right through the heart of the park and then throw in that huge swath of concrete.
The width of Columbus isn't designed for current traffic needs. It's conveniently at width for event staging. If you narrowed Columbus, the park would get destroyed during all the events. The city needs a linear midway to support this. If you knocked out lanes or put in a median you'd provide obstacles to these events.

The other alternative is to cap Metra tracks with a mix of hard surfaces to stage large events. You could then provide a compelling reason to narrow Columbus.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Good to see that condos are being built again. I also see a new condo building going up along montrose and magnolia in Uptown. These are the only condos I've seen go up since the crash. Surprised to see that they aren't going in Lakeview or Roscoe Village again first. I think that when things really going again Uptown will see a big boom. When you think about it, that is the only neighborhood on the northside that doesn't have a huge NIMBY contingency protesting every new development. In fact it has the opposite, most people there seem to be clamoring for more market rate development. So the developers should go in there, where there is the path of least resistance. There are several properties that would be good for hi-rises in Uptown.
There certainly is a vocal NIMBY contingent in Uptown and we've already seen one dense hi-rise development killed. That said it had a rather large TIF component and an awful developer...I have a hard time gauging how much of the push back was TIF/developer related and how much was classic NIMBYism.

Are you sure Magnolia and Montrose is condo and not rental?

I don't think there's a market for hi-rise development in Uptown right now...especially one done without TIF help.

In general I agree with you general thoughts...Cappleman seems much more pro-development and quite a lot of good things are happening (wilson, several large buildings getting market rate makeovers, etc) If and when the city enters another general growth period, the neighborhood could be well positioned.

As for the Andersonville development...I hate it. That neighborhood is hot, the location is great and should strive for something better than the cheap McCondo crap that went up everywhere during the boom.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:37 PM

I think the main reason people were skeptical about the montrose hi rise on the lake was that, as you said it had a large TIF component and not a great developer. Most people seemed to be for a hi rise there without a TIF. Since the neighborhood got screwed over on the Wilson Yards TIF deal from the previous Alderman they had a right to be skeptical. Plus, the TIF on Montrose was set up by the previous alderman I believe. People in Lincoln park and lakeview by contrast are just opposed to all development on principle, since it lowers their property values, more traffic, ect. In Uptown market rate developments should increase property values, since anything there that's NOT low income housing will bring up property values. Thats why I think hi rises can be built in Uptown without TIF money. I think you can make a case for hi rise apartments.
With the new Wilson station coming in, it will be even more convenient to commuters to the loop and northwestern students.

Yeah, the building on Montrose and Magnolia had a new sign up next to it saying condos for sale in the mid $300's.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:59 PM

Makes sense, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Surprised to see that they aren't going in Lakeview or Roscoe Village again first. .
Plenty were going up in Lakeview before I moved back in June. Two on the 3500 block of Reta, a huge 6 unit on Brompton, a Studio Dwell project at Sheffield and Barry, there are a pair of hideous 3 unit condos going up at Southport and Diversey, another around Sheffield and Diversey... Im sure I am forgetting a few, but these things are still getting built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The width of Columbus isn't designed for current traffic needs. It's conveniently at width for event staging. If you narrowed Columbus, the park would get destroyed during all the events. The city needs a linear midway to support this. If you knocked out lanes or put in a median you'd provide obstacles to these events.
Or narrow the road and line the sides with pavers/decomposed granite/whatever. Keep the space available for events but narrow the roadway to make it less of a visual, and physical barrier in the park... also, no way in hell there should be street parking spaces within the Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
As for the Andersonville development...I hate it. That neighborhood is hot, the location is great and should strive for something better than the cheap McCondo crap that went up everywhere during the boom.
Not many people look to drop big money for a place on a commercial street here in Chicago. Back producing a generic product the developer is simply pandering to the majority... let it happen.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:45 AM

Has anyone heard anything related to 3750 North Halsted? Its been awfully quiet for a good 4 months now. Even the NIMBY group hasnt updated their website since mid May.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post

Or narrow the road and line the sides with pavers/decomposed granite/whatever. Keep the space available for events but narrow the roadway to make it less of a visual, and physical barrier in the park... also, no way in hell there should be street parking spaces within the Park.

I understand, but there's ADA, servicing, crowd concerns that require open swaths of paved anything. The wide distance between curbs provides great utility. I don't like it either, but I don't see any point in narrowing it when you can just bridge over

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development