HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:44 AM
All things are possible

A library is nearly a thing of the past. Why would our community spend 10 million dollars for an air conditioned warehouse! People rarely use the library for a real need...they read a magazine, play with the computer, and get out of the heat. I am sure glad we don't have a collection of steam fire engines. This reminds me of the 11 million dollar West Mobile library (warehouse) built on Grelot that nearly always has an empty parking lot. Feeling good about giving money to a white elephant must have its benefits among other feel good givers.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
A library is nearly a thing of the past. Why would our community spend 10 million dollars for an air conditioned warehouse! People rarely use the library for a real need...they read a magazine, play with the computer, and get out of the heat. I am sure glad we don't have a collection of steam fire engines. This reminds me of the 11 million dollar West Mobile library (warehouse) built on Grelot that nearly always has an empty parking lot. Feeling good about giving money to a white elephant must have its benefits among other feel good givers.
Actually, a library is a place of learning and discovery. Students young and old flock to all branches of the Mobile Public Library to work on projects and research papers. Classes are tought, authors are interviewed, and new skills are learned. A library is a cultural meccah of thought. They are far more than a place to "get out of the heat." At most locations of the Mobile Public Library, computers stay full and there is a line to check out books and movies. Specifically, the West Regional Branch maintains a steady influx of guests, which keep the large parking lot 60 to 75 percent full on any given day. Libraries need to be funded so that their adequate and just use is not neglected.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
Please tell me that you are not serious.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 12:36 PM

And on top of what everyone else said about libraries still being important, this is a historic structure in downtown. It might not be the Cawthorne or Bienville hotels, or the original county courthouse, but it is historic no less and we should scrap to save any historic structure we can since we chose to let so many others go in the past. I hate to hear what Blessed will have to say to this article. If he doesnt want to spend 10 milllion to save the library, which still serves the community, I assume he will also think 25 million to save Barton, which has no purpose now, is a folly also. Oh well. I say preserve the library and Barton.

Preservationists open doors for peek at Barton
Friday, June 01, 2007By RENA HAVNERStaff Reporter
As part of an effort to save the ailing Barton Academy in downtown Mobile, preservationists opened the nearly 200-year-old building's doors Thursday for an open house.

All who paid $10 were given a chance to climb up a spiral stairway inside the tilting rooftop dome.

"I had a conversation with an older gentleman who said he kissed his wife in this dome," Marilyn Culpepper told a small crowd taking in the view of downtown Mobile from atop the historic building.

"He snuck her up to the dome and kissed her. They're married now and the rest is history," said Culpepper, executive director of the Historic Mobile Preservation Society.

Looking out, visitors could see the mixture of old and new that makes up downtown Mobile -- historic buildings, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Government Plaza, McDonalds.

For $2,750, Willoughby Barton and several others bought a track of land bounded by Government, Lawrence, Conti and Cedar streets in downtown Mobile in the late 1920s to build a school. Funding from a state lottery helped raise the remaining money needed to open Barton Academy, which became a collection of private and church schools, according to the "Barton Academy Centennial," a book on display Thursday.

In 1852, Barton became Alabama's first public school building, with 400 students in primary through high school grades, the book states. The school quickly grew to 1,012 students. It closed for a few years after the Civil War, but reopened.

At the time of the school's centennial, in 1936, Barton offered just the seventh-grade.

"Succeeding generations have gone by on horseback, in carriages, street cars and automobiles, yet few changes have taken place in the outward appearance of the building," the "Barton Academy Centennial" states. "If the first pupils who entered its doors a century ago could re-visit Mobile today, amid the puzzling confusion of modern activities they would find comfort and reassurance in the familiar features of Old Barton."

Now, they would find chipped paint and mildew-covered walls on the outside; a dome tilting with columns missing; a slow-moving elevator that doesn't always take people to the right floor; and office space divided by cubicles.
The Mobile County Public School System -- which has housed its central offices in Barton since the 1970s -- is moving out of the facility and into a more modern, sprawling campus off Schillinger Road in northwest Mobile. About half of Barton's employees have already left, leaving Superintendent Harold Dodge with his curriculum, communication and security staffs there for just a few more months.

The school system has authorized Culpepper's organization to take the lead in raising about $25 million needed to restore Barton.

So far, the society has raised about $85,000 -- about half of which will be used to conduct an architectural study of the building to help officials determine Barton's future.

"If we can raise $1, we can raise $25 million," a barefoot Culpepper said as she continued to take visitors up to the dome. With Thursday's tours, the society raised another $610 as 61 visitors followed her up.

"I think it's a fantastic building. Everything should be done that can be done to save it," said Mobile resident Joan Hoffman, as she took a break on the tour before walking up to the dome. "You can never replace something like this."

Added Cathy Hayes of Mobile: "It's a wonderful building. Unfortunately, it has been tangled up so much in politics that it has deteriorated. It's good that now there are some loving hands to take care of it."

School officials for several years have said it was difficult to put aside money for the central office building when schools were more in need of repair.

Culpepper said she would like the building to become a school once again, as some school officials, including Dodge, have suggested.

Walking through Barton Thursday, Aileen de la Torre held up an old map of the floorplan as she visualized where classrooms once were. She said she would like Barton to become a school or a museum. "I always see the possibilities with these buildings," said de la Torre, who works for the Historic Development Commission of Mobile.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:35 PM
<- My idol

I thought the idea of turning Barton into a performing arts school was still on? Is the school system going to retain owenership? This article makes no sense.

What else doesn't make sense are the politice involved with public education. Many schools in our urban core remain vacant and/or falling apart while we continue to build schools in basically deserted areas - soon people start moving there to put their kids in "good schools" and then they are overcrowded. Go to West Mobile and check out Allentown and Collier Elementary Schools. They are just a couple of miles from on another. When built, there was not a house in sight. Now subdivisions are popping up around the schools because parents want their kids to go to school there. I for one would prefer my tax dollars go to keep what we have in good shape instead of lining the pockets of the companies that build the new schools and the subdivisions that are surounding them (Mitchell Homes, Adams, etc...). I am not one to beleive in some of the consiperacy theories people throw around concerning government officials and corruption, but I don't know how else anyone could look at the way the school system neglects existing properties and builds new ones.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 6:16 PM

I love the fact that the library was renovated. It needed it badly. The west Mobile branch is always full of people. Everytime I go there I have to park in the back of the parking lot its so full.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 3:07 AM

The city, county, and school system all have enough money in cash reserves to complete this project (Barton), that is so important to the community.

The city of Mobile alone has $600,000,000 in net assets, with around $100,000,000 of that in "Cash" or "securities".

Everyone always looks at the city "budget" yet that is just a fraction of the big picture. Check out the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the city:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...DoVznNQJJDu1tQ

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 4:15 PM

Today's PR is packed with good stuff today. Not all of it is Downtown related but most is. Guess it shows how much momentum the area has right now. I'll just post the links to keep it short.
First is the groundbreaking/fundraising/major announcement on the Maritime Museum which has been stalled forever. A big ceremony with a major announcement will be held on Thursday at 10 am on the museum's site.
http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...650.xml&coll=3
This spring's downtown art market gets some recognition as it wrapped up. Citizens and artist interviewed and all are talking about downtown's momentum and supporting downtown and the art culture that will make it even more unique.
The Mobile Bay Convention & Visitors Bureau spent a majority of its budget on a new website to higlight tourism/conventions in the area(www.mobile.org).
http://www.al.com/business/press-reg...650.xml&coll=3
Mobile gets a Wine Loft(trendy franchised wine bar/store) in Legacy Village.
http://www.al.com/business/press-reg...650.xml&coll=3
In the real estate section several downtown/midtown locations are ebing bought/sold/redeveloped.A 6,800-square-foot office building at 308 St. Michael St. was purchased by investors for $352,500 and will be occupied by Commercial and Ma rine Insurance Brokers.The Market at 219 should open in early July next to the 219 restaurant at 219 Conti St., near Joachim Street, according to Todd Henson, who owns 219 and La Pizze ria at 1455 Monroe St. in Oak leigh Historic District. The market and deli will feature prepared take-home foods, made-to-order salads and grocery items, he said. The Mediterranean Cafe has leased the former TCBY store on Old Shell Road and McGregor Avenue in Spring hill Village shopping center and should open later this summer, according to Vince Cave of L.W. Cave Real Estate. Local investors paid $295,000 for the 6,200-square-foot former Lerner department store building at 10 St. Emanuel St., according to LaSha Powell of Cunningham, Foley & Barnes .
Lastly is an article about testing west mobile fire station locations which quickly turns to an annexation article. Apparently the city is starting to make the push to increase services in those areas as a preemptive strike to encourage annexation.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2007, 8:21 PM

I'm all for annexation, but cover more area than what they were trying to do last time.

300 years of America!

www.cityofmobile.org

Old Posted Jun 4, 2007, 7:25 PM
<- My idol

Nothing to do with downtown development, but this has been crusing up and down the Mobile River all day (I guess in testing):

Maybe one day Austal will build similar boats to ferry people all over Mobile Bay. If the ferry terminal ever gets moving, it might just be a reality!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 1:48 AM
All things are possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyapp View Post
Actually, a library is a place of learning and discovery. Students young and old flock to all branches of the Mobile Public Library to work on projects and research papers. Classes are tought, authors are interviewed, and new skills are learned. A library is a cultural meccah of thought. They are far more than a place to "get out of the heat." At most locations of the Mobile Public Library, computers stay full and there is a line to check out books and movies. Specifically, the West Regional Branch maintains a steady influx of guests, which keep the large parking lot 60 to 75 percent full on any given day. Libraries need to be funded so that their adequate and just use is not neglected.
I am well aware of what a library is all about. I still think that a library is no longer the learning center that it was before the coming of the internet and the big box bookstores. The building itself is great and is well worth fixing. Calling a modern day library a "cultural meccah" is what keeps the old concept of a "place of learning" from advancing into the 21st century. Your point of view is welcomed and understood.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 2:00 AM
All things are possible

Nimsjus...preserving history has nothing to do with my post about the library. The building is well worth restoration as is Barton. I think I know something about preserving historic buildings as I am from Savannah where we did extensive work in the 60's and 70's before it was the sheek thing to do. Barton will have a better chance at being restored and repaired if you can get it from the school board; it has nearly caved in thanks to their poor care. I, for one, believe there is a movement to make Barton a cultural arts center which it so rightly should be. I love this city AND all of her beautiful old buildings. I'm sorry that my post about the library was seen as anti-preservation...I am very, very far from that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:21 PM

Blessed-I guess I just misunderstood your feelings based on your statement. You thought spending that much money on the library was rediculous. Since a good chunk of that money was spent on rennovation/revitalization of the historic library(including redoing the reading room to its original form), I presumed you might be against redoing Barton Academy also because it currently has no purpose(much like you feel libraries in their current form are not terribly useful). The rest of the library moeny went to expand the structure because in it's previsous state, they had desks with computers for public use in narrow back hall ways, and several other major space lmited issues. I apologize for jumping to conclusions, but I felt like it might not be much of a leap considering your disapproval of the library rennovations.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:27 PM

On a completely unrelated note, My girlfriend and I came down for a wedding over the weekend. Friday night we ate at NoJa on North Jackson(hence the name NoJa). The place was amazing and easily the best in town in my opinion. I had a hanger steak with goat cheese and she had panned grouper. Prices from 25 to 34 for entrees. Really amazing atmosphere also with inside and outdoor seating. I highly recommend it. Tried to do the Trellis Room at the BattleHouse, but they werent taking walk up's until after 8pm for some reason. We also went to the after rehearsal dinner at Ezelle House(sp?) which was also very nice place for that kind of thing. It too has outdoor courtyard with a carriage house that now houses a bar for functions there. All in all a brief but enjoyable trip home(my first since the parents moved to Auburn last week).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:26 PM

After reading last week's article on Barton Academy's preservation, I emailed on of the ladies in charge at the Historic Mobile Preservation Society. I always see commercials on the history channel for a program called Save Our History. Basically the program takes historically signifficant buildings and helps preserve them in some form(Example on the commercial is an old hotel in some town converted to lofts). I asked if HMPS had considered using this program. To my delight she said that HMPS is a local partner of the National Trust, which is the sponsor of the program I mentioned above. She said they are working on an application for this program currently. So in short, there is some momentum in the Save Barton movement now that the school board is out. No mention of what might be done with the structure.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp View Post
Nothing to do with downtown development, but this has been crusing up and down the Mobile River all day (I guess in testing):

The RSA Tower looks huuuge(er) in that picture. Like twice the size of the AmSouth Building.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:20 PM

So Sunday's paper had an article(which I linked in an above post) about a big ceremony/announcement regarding the Maritime Museum's fund raising. The announcement was with regards to the quiet phase of fund raising and the beginning of the open phase. No mention of yesterday's ceremony in today's PR. I am really surprised because this project has been stalled, their website has not been updated, and people are concerned that it may never happen(like the condos next door). Why would the PR not seize this opportunity to regenerate some excitment in this project by covering the ceremony? Anybody on the forum hear anything about the ceremony or announcement?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:15 PM

The ceremony is supposed to be today at 10:00 a.m., about now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:05 PM

has anyone heard what's going on with the maritime musuem yet?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:11 PM

Here's a picture of officials gathered under a tent to discuss the proposal...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast