HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:44 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

For the record is doesn't matter where somebody lives, if they have something to contribute to any given topic. That's why this is a public forum.

Travis is certainly better informed about much of what goes on locally than most Sacramentans and i appreciate his forum contributions, regardless whether he lives here, has lived here, or lives nearby.

In regards to the arena, Pete Wilson's experience as Governor and his experience as Mayor of San Diego will give Cal Expo the kind of heavy hitter negotiator that doesn't exist in Sacramento. If there were such a person with his credentials, then they wouldn't need to hire out of town consultants.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:08 AM

My buddies and I just returned from Nashville yesterday after watching another Raiders loss to the Tennessee Titans.

First time in Tennessee. Neat little downtown area which was quite walkable and not traffic heavy. Also took a one day trip to Memphis to visit Graceland and Beale Street. Just amazed and impressed at how these cities were able to build arenas downtown and it's effect on the immediate area. The Sommet Center in Nashville is near their nice entertainment area centered around 2nd avenue and Broadway. And in Memphis, the Fedex Forum was right near the entertainment and restaurant heavy Beale street (second most visited street in America after Bourbon street in New Orleans, I read) and Peabody place.

Ah, someday Sacramento. Someday ..... even though it's now more likely at Cal Expo.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 8:27 PM

Have you guys seen these comments?
http://www.sacbee.com/dyn/comments/s...&tie_to=478298

God, I hate Sacramentans sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 10:22 PM

At this point I really dont blame most of the comments.

I think the Maloofs are the worst team owners to ever own a NBA team.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 10:23 PM

I just hope where ever they move to is a huge flop.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
Have you guys seen these comments?
http://www.sacbee.com/dyn/comments/s...&tie_to=478298

God, I hate Sacramentans sometimes.
I read as many as I could..then I started to get sick...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:44 AM
Here we stAy

Former Governor Optimistic About New Kings Arena
Wilson Assisting NBA Negotiations

POSTED: 5:32 pm PST December 4, 2007
UPDATED: 11:05 pm PST December 4, 2007

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Former Gov. Pete Wilson said he's optimistic about talks that could lead to a new Sacramento Kings arena at Cal Expo.

Wilson has been practicing law in Los Angeles since he left politics. He left the governorship in 1998 after two terms.

Wilson was in Sacramento Tuesday to address a conference on government reform. He plans to be in the area often as the arena talks go forward.

Wilson said he thinks it's possible that this can be a win-win situation. He said he's optimistic that the negotiation will lead to results, but that he can't give any specifics.

Moving the Kings to Cal Expo has raised serious questions about traffic in the area. But proponents believe that's outweighed by an arrangement in which Cal Expo land would also be used for residential and commercial construction, generating revenue for the arena.

Wilson said he thinks the National Basketball Association's level of interest is legitimate and high. He said they want a good arrangement and think Sacramento has been a good sports market.

Wilson is reluctant to talk about sticky issues like traffic -- and any financial responsibility the Maloofs might have.

Wilson said his role is to represent Cal Expo in achieving their goals.

http://www.kcra.com/news/14775992/detail.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:54 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
He said they want a good arrangement and think Sacramento has been a good sports market.
Up until this year that is.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:00 PM

Sacramento Kings attendance this year has been one of the weakest in the league.

10 home games
13,649 per game (25th in the league)
78.8% capacity (23rd in the league)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:11 PM
Kodachrome

Voters (from elsewhere) have spoken
Sacramento Business Journal
December 7, 2007

What NBA team is most in need of a new arena? Not the Sacramento Kings, at least according to one survey.

The New Jersey Nets, Seattle SuperSonics and New York Knicks each received a larger percentage of votes in a recent reader survey by SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily, sister publications to the

The New Jersey Nets is the pro basketball team most in need of a new arena, according to 18.5 percent of the 1,496 people who responded to the question. The SuperSonics got the nod from 15.4 percent of respondents, while the Knicks came in at 10.5 percent. Only 7.4 percent said the Kings are most in need.

But wait a minute, sports fans; could the fix be in? Some 18.1 percent of those responding said they were New York residents, compared with 10.1 percent who said they hailed from the Golden State. And while the more than 2,300 reader responses were the most ever, it still reflected a self-selecting fraction of the total readership.

The latest site being considered as a new home for the Sacramento Kings is Cal Expo. Talks continue.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:15 AM

Why is the Cal Expo better location (better option?) than the current location?
There is plenty of room to build another arena next to current Arco arena.
And traffic would be much more manageable if the arena is built in natomas, rather than cal expo.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 7:46 AM
Here we stAy

It's not a central location in the metro area, and there are WAY less options for transit, at least currently.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 3:56 PM

I agree with Cozmoose's line of questioning. The way I see it, if the arena isn't going to be built downtown, in the railyards or on W Sac's waterfront, then just rebuild the thing in Natomas. I would argue that it's MORE CENTRAL than Cal Expo because you can use two major freeways to get there, rather than the capitol city freeway. Neither of them have light rail or trolley lines, and either of those would be a pipe dream for at least a generation. I bet if I drove, it would take me an hour from the time I got in my car at my house in midtown until I turned the car off in the parking lot of a new arena at Cal Expo. That's about, what, 3 or 4 miles? I guess the thing that Arden has in it's favor is the land is worth more, thus the opportunity to pay for the arena by developing the surrounding parcels is more realistic.

BUT I think Thomas could have not only given the maloofs free land for an arena, but he could have PAID the maloofs $10,000,000s to occupy some of his land with an arena. The reasons are several: 1) it would have jumped started development of the railyards. By this I mean that the arena would have been an irresistable catylist for other development immediately surrounding it. Why, because 2) the land would all of the sudden be in the middle of one of the coolest in-fill opportunities this side of the Coors field area of Denver. Whereas before the railyards was just an emoty plot of dirt, now it would be a dining, cultural, entertainment and housing opportunity that any developer in his right mind would want to be a part of. And they'd be willing to pay for it in amounts sufficient for Thomas to realize a nice return on his 8-figure gift to the Maloofs. 3) the city would have fast-tracked Thomas cutting through the tons of red tape involved with getting the development off the ground. Like any other business, time is money in the development world. If Thomas could develop the entire railyards in 15 years instead of 25 years, that's HUGE. Thomas would rather earn $75M over 15 years than $100M over 25 years.

Plus, transit is ALREADY in the railyards. not just light rail, wich is great, but Amtrak would be just as significant. People in Roseville wouldn't have to wait for a light-rail extension in order to get out of their cars- Amtrak already exists and could drop them off within a few blocks of the arena. And here I'm thinking outside the box (so bear with me), but if enough people from Auburn, Rocklin, Roseville, etc took the train, maybe Amtrak could run a special train that dropped people off at the arena 1 or two hours before the game. Let's say it cost $20/Person, but with it you got a coupon for a drink on the train. and you also could present your ticket for a free or discounted appetizer or drink at any of the new establishments surrounding the arena. Amtrak wins, passengers win, nearby establishments win. Maybe the Maloofs could even "charter" a special "game-day" train and split any profits with Amtrak. Amtrak may be willing to do it for little more than break-even if it means introducing 1000's of people to their train service. I could see how the train ride itself might become a popular side-show to the game itself. People having a good time talking, drinking, relaxing or getting fired up and rowdy prior to big games and after big wins.

I truly believe an arena built at Cal Expo rather in the railyards will go down as one of the biggest mistakes and missed opportunities in Sacramento-development history. The sad thing is, it looks inevitable. What a bunch of fucking idiots are the powers that be.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 4:20 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
I agree with Cozmoose's line of questioning. The way I see it, if the arena isn't going to be built downtown, in the railyards or on W Sac's waterfront, then just rebuild the thing in Natomas. I would argue that it's MORE CENTRAL than Cal Expo because you can use two major freeways to get there, rather than the capitol city freeway. Neither of them have light rail or trolley lines, and either of those would be a pipe dream for at least a generation. I bet if I drove, it would take me an hour from the time I got in my car at my house in midtown until I turned the car off in the parking lot of a new arena at Cal Expo. That's about, what, 3 or 4 miles? I guess the thing that Arden has in it's favor is the land is worth more, thus the opportunity to pay for the arena by developing the surrounding parcels is more realistic.

BUT I think Thomas could have not only given the maloofs free land for an arena, but he could have PAID the maloofs $10,000,000s to occupy some of his land with an arena. The reasons are several: 1) it would have jumped started development of the railyards. By this I mean that the arena would have been an irresistable catylist for other development immediately surrounding it. Why, because 2) the land would all of the sudden be in the middle of one of the coolest in-fill opportunities this side of the Coors field area of Denver. Whereas before the railyards was just an emoty plot of dirt, now it would be a dining, cultural, entertainment and housing opportunity that any developer in his right mind would want to be a part of. And they'd be willing to pay for it in amounts sufficient for Thomas to realize a nice return on his 8-figure gift to the Maloofs. 3) the city would have fast-tracked Thomas cutting through the tons of red tape involved with getting the development off the ground. Like any other business, time is money in the development world. If Thomas could develop the entire railyards in 15 years instead of 25 years, that's HUGE. Thomas would rather earn $75M over 15 years than $100M over 25 years.

Plus, transit is ALREADY in the railyards. not just light rail, wich is great, but Amtrak would be just as significant. People in Roseville wouldn't have to wait for a light-rail extension in order to get out of their cars- Amtrak already exists and could drop them off within a few blocks of the arena. And here I'm thinking outside the box (so bear with me), but if enough people from Auburn, Rocklin, Roseville, etc took the train, maybe Amtrak could run a special train that dropped people off at the arena 1 or two hours before the game. Let's say it cost $20/Person, but with it you got a coupon for a drink on the train. and you also could present your ticket for a free or discounted appetizer or drink at any of the new establishments surrounding the arena. Amtrak wins, passengers win, nearby establishments win. Maybe the Maloofs could even "charter" a special "game-day" train and split any profits with Amtrak. Amtrak may be willing to do it for little more than break-even if it means introducing 1000's of people to their train service. I could see how the train ride itself might become a popular side-show to the game itself. People having a good time talking, drinking, relaxing or getting fired up and rowdy prior to big games and after big wins.

I truly believe an arena built at Cal Expo rather in the railyards will go down as one of the biggest mistakes and missed opportunities in Sacramento-development history. The sad thing is, it looks inevitable.
Unfortunately i don't think this is "inevitable". In fact i still think an arena being built is a long shot.

As an entusiats of a vibrant downtown I agree an arena should be built downtown, but Stan Thomas, thinks a hulking shell of an arena will cost more than what it will contribute to his project<< (and who knows it might..)

Which brings me to my next point, Cost..

There's just no way that a new arena along with the needed infrastructure can be built in the railyards today for less than $700-$800 million.

And while i would agree that failing downtown (or my favorit back up of the Trianlge Area, which wont happen), then the arena should just remain where it is. I think that's why the MaGoofs sabotaged the last area deal, imho. They wanted the guaranteed parking revenue that they enjoy in Natomas and there were no guarantees for them in the railyards. And if they don't get the same kinds of concession from Cal Expo they wont want anything to do with this proposal either.

We live in a city that thinks and dreams small, a city fearful of recognizing that it's growing; not to mention a pitiful lack of leadership. and th

So now our only opportunity to keep this team (the Kings) in town is to build an arena in a congested part of the city. The land at Cal Expo can be utilized to help pay for a new arena and for badly needed upgrades to the aging exposition.

Neither of those two things are bad either.

There are ways to minimize traffic, such as using RT to service designated pick up points throughout the metropolitan area; (as VIA does in San Antonio).. Failing that perhaps it will prompt SACOG to address the notoriously bad bottleneck on the Captial City Freeway through the American Ricver Curve? A street car would be nice, but remains fantasy.

This has to get down, but I'm skeptical that it will.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Dec 10, 2007 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:11 AM

Look we have had this endless debate. The NBA is not interested in Natomas or West Sacramento -give it up.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:58 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Look we have had this endless debate. The NBA is not interested in Natomas or West Sacramento -give it up.
Nobody said they were interested.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 6:03 AM

Cal Expo may not be the best option in terms of traffic and central city development, but it is the only option authorized to sell bonds (and bypass public approval, i.e., no sales tax increase) to come up with the necessary funds.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 6:30 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
Cal Expo may not be the best option in terms of traffic and central city development, but it is the only option authorized to sell bonds (and bypass public approval, i.e., no sales tax increase) to come up with the necessary funds.
Exactly..

At this point, anything is better than nothing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
At this point, anything is better than nothing.
Wow... that sounds like a good tagline for Sacramento in general.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 10:49 PM
my posse's on broadway

I'd still rather pay out of my own pocket for an arena in the railyards.

But if they can plan something feasible and still interesting for CalExpo,
I'm all ears. I agree in full to everything that Brandon said, and i just don't
get why they'd bother with the hassle to put it in CalExpo. The public has
already expressed in their double-speak way, that they don't want it there.
So let's just say I'm a bit more willing to be enlightened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area