HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:04 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I disagree with you on the wicked wedge/Una point. To me the loss of wicked wedge was a major blow to 17th ave and Una does not come close to filling the gap. I liked Una, but I would take the wedge over it any day. It fills a very different niche, one that doesnt really exist anymore. Its not really an either or scenario, there is plenty of room on 17th for both.
Trust me, I loved the Wedge. What 17th needs a bit more of, is some quick food. For me, it is lacking quick healthy food to go, like a Guisseppi's. Jugo Juice just doesn't cut it.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Trust me, I loved the Wedge. What 17th needs a bit more of, is some quick food. For me, it is lacking quick healthy food to go, like a Guisseppi's. Jugo Juice just doesn't cut it.
I'd love to see more small CRU's of 500 sq.ft that provide a space for quick grab and go food. I like Jugo, never had Guisseppi's, what kind of food is it? What food trends in Citities like TO, Vancouver, and NY for quick grab and go are missing in Calgary?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:59 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I'd love to see more small CRU's of 500 sq.ft that provide a space for quick grab and go food. I like Jugo, never had Guisseppi's, what kind of food is it? What food trends in Citities like TO, Vancouver, and NY for quick grab and go are missing in Calgary?
New York has good quality 24/7 hot and cold buffets by weight, with paninis to order, eat in or take out, wine and beer, dessert = everything!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 6:59 PM
Beer me Captain

Not directly food related, but it did happen in a local resto ...

Was at Murietta's last night when the who's who of CBC came in and surrounded us. We were a small table of 3 and Murietta's set up tables in an L shape around us with the entire clan - Rick Mercer, George Strombo, Evan Solomon, Heather Hiscox, Allan Hawco and many, many more (those were the only ones sitting across from me) - must have been close to 40 of them there.

They seemed to enjoy themselves and the food and unfortunately didn't engage in any TMZ appropriate antics.

Over dinner we mused as to what was going on and decided that perhaps CBC was doing lots of fall promos in the Calgary area - anybody have any info on this??

BTW, unfortunatley for me the Digby scallops were subpar last night - find that alot at Murietta's, hit or miss.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:02 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Not directly food related, but it did happen in a local resto ...

Was at Murietta's last night when the who's who of CBC came in and surrounded us. We were a small table of 3 and Murietta's set up tables in an L shape around us with the entire clan - Rick Mercer, George Strombo, Evan Solomon, Heather Hiscox, Allan Hawco and many, many more (those were the only ones sitting across from me) - must have been close to 40 of them there.

They seemed to enjoy themselves and the food and unfortunately didn't engage in any TMZ appropriate antics.

Over dinner we mused as to what was going on and decided that perhaps CBC was doing lots of fall promos in the Calgary area - anybody have any info on this??

BTW, unfortunatley for me the Digby scallops were subpar last night - find that alot at Murietta's, hit or miss.
Nm, I should have looked first myself

CBC brings big guns on tour to defend itself, promote new season

Funny that they ended up at Murietta's and didn't stay at Hotel Arts.

BTW, almost to a tee they were all shorter in person than I expected... rather shockingly so.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:02 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

The Wicked Wedge gap is filled by the ton of shawarma and banh mi places. There's a LOT of good cheap eats on 17th still.

There's also this: The burger at Farm, which I had for reasons I can't specify never had before today. INCREDIBLE. They actually asked me how I wanted my burger done! I got it medium rare- spectacular. The side salad (no fryer, so no fries) remains one of the best side salads I've had in North America. As good as the greens you get in Europe.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:41 PM
not a NIMBY

I read about a Peruvian restaurant called Inti in the Interpacific Business Park on 26 St NE. They specialize in rotisserie chicken.
website has a John Gilchrist review audio:
http://inti-restaurant.com

Also I was told about a place called Nailas that has the best burgers in town, but google can't find anything with that spelling.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Also I was told about a place called Nailas that has the best burgers in town, but google can't find anything with that spelling.
Maybe Naina's Kitchen (by Crossroads Market):

Naina's Kitchen

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:19 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post

Naina's Kitchen
That's the one, I've read some reviews that rave about it.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:42 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post

Naina's Kitchen
thanks! sounds great.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's the one, I've read some reviews that rave about it.
I went to Naina's a few weeks ago after I found out about them having a Juicy Lucy. It's fairly good, but I'm not sure I'd rave about it. I still prefer Rockys, or even 5 guys, over it.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 9:10 PM
Great White Norf

now that Smashburger is here we should do a poll for best burger in Calgary but I'd guess there'd be too many options

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
now that Smashburger is here we should do a poll for best burger in Calgary but I'd guess there'd be too many options
There were hundreds- maybe thousands- of options before Smashburger ever showed up.

I stumbled on the SnoBerryIce truck today- yes I had no idea it existed either. Asian spin on shave ice; I got mine with fresh mango and mochi. It comes with a drizzle of sweet condensed milk like they do it in Trinidad. Absolutely delicious.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

We get a lot of questions about where to buy espresso machines and grinders on here and I just today discovered a fantastic resource for both- it's Orange Works at North Hill Centre. It's been open since November and I thought it was just a store like Kitchen Kaboodle selling various kitchen gadgets- that it is, in part, but it also has an outstanding assortment of espresso machines, really excellent higher-end stuff, and the best assortment of domestic grinders I've seen in any store (and that includes Cappuccino King). I was very impressed.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
BTW, almost to a tee they were all shorter in person than I expected... rather shockingly so.
Strombo is just a little man - must be tough for him.

A co-worker of mine who is from Peru attended Inti a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Also looks like we have a Brazillian food truck town!

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 1:58 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
Strombo is just a little man - must be tough for him.

A co-worker of mine who is from Peru attended Inti a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Also looks like we have a Brazillian food truck town!
I should try out Inti. I lived in Peru for about 3 months with a Peruvian family, so the food grew on me. Rocoto Relleno, Alpaca, Aji de Gallina, Patatas Huancavelicas, Ceviche and my favorite- Lomo Saltado.

Do you know if they make Pisco Sours?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I should try out Inti. I lived in Peru for about 3 months with a Peruvian family, so the food grew on me. Rocoto Relleno, Alpaca, Aji de Gallina, Patatas Huancavelicas, Ceviche and my favorite- Lomo Saltado.

Do you know if they make Pisco Sours?
mmmmm Pisco Sours. I still have half a bottle of that kicking around somewhere. Didn't taste quite the same back in Canada as it did when I was in Chile.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:49 AM
not a NIMBY

I had a great dinner (arctic char) at the former Bistro PicNiq tonight. The new owners are calling it Wine-ohs. They have kept Chef Andrew and the same menu for now.
The cheapest white on their wine list was $46 which I think is too extravagant for me as that is moving into expense account/wine snob territory. I'm more comfortable in the $30 range, and there are plenty of drinkable options at that price point.

Last edited by Jimby; Jun 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:37 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
We get a lot of questions about where to buy espresso machines and grinders on here and I just today discovered a fantastic resource for both- it's Orange Works at North Hill Centre. It's been open since November and I thought it was just a store like Kitchen Kaboodle selling various kitchen gadgets- that it is, in part, but it also has an outstanding assortment of espresso machines, really excellent higher-end stuff, and the best assortment of domestic grinders I've seen in any store (and that includes Cappuccino King). I was very impressed.
do you have a suggested espresso machine? I am heading there today.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:02 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
do you have a suggested espresso machine? I am heading there today.
I'm not that familiar with Expobar except I do know that it's a connoisseur's brand- e61 groupheads and professional-quality componentry. It's not for beginners, which is why it's shocking to see it a mall kitchen gadgets store. They also sell the Rancilio Silvia, which is a superb model for under $1000 but it's a single-boiler, non-heat-exchanger machine so if you're making anything with steamed milk it's not as convenient as a heat-exchanger or a dual-boiler machine. But people do it and it has a massive user base for instructional vids etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation