HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:42 PM

The free booze is always good. But from my experience connecting through the nightmare and unfriendly Toronto Pearson or even Montreal (more unfriendly), I'd take a connection or flight out of friendly relaxing Halifax Stanfield any day.

Last edited by q12; Aug 20, 2017 at 12:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:46 PM
Closed account

If New Brunswick had a single concentrated population centre like Nova Scotia, I'm sure it would have much better flights and connections. Alas, there's 3 airports competing for the 1.25-1.5 million passengers, so small aircraft are the order of the day.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
The free booze is always good. But from my experience connecting through the nightmare and unfriendly Toronto Pearson or even Montreal (more unfriendly), I'd take a connection or flight out of friendly relaxing Halifax Standfield any day.
Hear, hear!

Small airports are lovely. Flying out of Ottawa was far more pleasant than Pearson, so I could see why Halifax is great too.

Porter flies out of Billy Bishop Airport in Toronto, which is far more pleasant than Pearson, FWIW.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:11 PM

Most of the places I go I can't get to directly from Halifax and since it's the winter time, the quicker you can get to a major "hub" the better. I'd rather have a flight cancelled in TO than in Hali, just because there are more options at that point.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Most of the places I go I can't get to directly from Halifax and since it's the winter time, the quicker you can get to a major "hub" the better. I'd rather have a flight cancelled in TO than in Hali, just because there are more options at that point.
Exactly! Im with you. Also everytime ive flown from halifax ive had a weather related delay. Last time we sat 3 hrs at the gate before we took off. The return flight to halifax was delayed almost 12 hrs due to the AC crash in 2015. Didnt bother me though as we got to spend more time on the beach lol

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
In theory that is true, but in my experience, those "options" are directly dependent on how thick your wallet is. I have had flights go tech at Pearson on AC and still not had a frame available, and that's AC's main hub! Airlines run the the fleets so overbooked now and frames are scarce. It's like everything else, money talks.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
In theory that is true, but in my experience, those "options" are directly dependent on how thick your wallet is. I have had flights go tech at Pearson on AC and still not had a frame available, and that's AC's main hub! Airlines run the the fleets so overbooked now and frames are scarce. It's like everything else, money talks.
I'm not sure I 100% understand you but I haven't noticed a difference, $-wise in the flights out of TO. Some are more, some are less, yes, but that's always the case and unless you are flying last minute, there are tons more options for next-leg times. (leaving at 10:00am instead of 5:30am, for example)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Reported in the Halifax section that New Leaf is pulling out of Halifax/Stanfield as well.

The airline told the HSIA the same thing they told the GMIA - "we look forward to returning to serve you in the future".

We'll see.............

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Reported in the Halifax section that New Leaf is pulling out of Halifax/Stanfield as well.

The airline told the HSIA the same thing they told the GMIA - "we look forward to returning to serve you in the future".

We'll see.............
That's a bunch of BS i just seen that they added more flights out west and I can't quite figure out why they are pulling out of the maritimes?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 12:49 PM

Air Canada’s YYT-LHR route will just be a stop twice a week this winter on the YHZ-LHR B767 service…..but beginning next May it will use one of Air Canada’s new 737MAX8 aircraft instead of the A319 that has previously served the route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-may-2018/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Air Canada’s YYT-LHR route will just be a stop twice a week this winter on the YHZ-LHR B767 service…..but beginning next May it will use one of Air Canada’s new 737MAX8 aircraft instead of the A319 that has previously served the route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-may-2018/
Is the MAX ETOPS ready out of the box (I know the LEAP engines are certified) and is there anything else they have to do to make them ready for TATL?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the CYQM website:

CBSA increases capacity at YQM
OCTOBER 12, 2017

DIEPPE – The Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) is pleased to announce the opening of a larger terminal space for Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) processing. The YQM designation has increased from an Airport of Entry (AOE) 225 to AOE/300, allowing the CBSA to provide screening services and process aircraft with up to 300 passengers (including the crew). This newly renovated area provides YQM the ability to receive more trans-border and international flights.

The renovations took place over the summer period and were just recently completed. Airport Authority President and Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Bernard LeBlanc, said “This newly renovated space allows us to accommodate even more international travellers and flights at the same time and will be a good customer service incentive when attracting airlines to offer flights to the US, the Caribbean and trans-Atlantic.”

The Regional Director General for CBSA in Atlantic Region, Calvin Christiansen, stated that “The CBSA always strives to provide service excellence to every traveller. The improvements made to the CBSA area at the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport will certainly facilitate the work performed by our officers, enabling an efficient airport experience, while maintaining safety and security at our borders.”

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:35 PM

Porter has added holiday flights between Stephenville and Halifax during Christmas. It only means a handful of flights but hopefully represents another step toward year round service to the mainland from YJT.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This was posted in the Canada section:

Quote:
Canada Jetlines has dropped Kitchener-Waterloo airport from their startup plans. The are going to hub in Abbotsford and Hamilton. They will start with 4 planes and add at least 4 planes a year. The start date is still June 1, 2018. Tickets go on sale 90 days before the first flight. Here is their tentative program from Hamilton (YHM) for the summer 2018 to the winter 2019 - 2020.

Summer 2018

Halifax (YHZ)
Winnipeg (YWG)
Calgary (YYC)
Edmonton (YEG)
Abbotsford (YXX)
Total Destinations 5

Winter 2018 – 2019

Halifax (YHZ)
Winnipeg (YWG)
Calgary (YYC)
Edmonton (YEG)
Abbotsford (YXX)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Orlando (MCO/SFB)
Tampa (TPA)
Ft. Myers (RSW)
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)
Cancun (CUN)
Punta Cana (PUJ)
Total Destinations 12

Summer 2019

St. John’s (YYT)
Moncton (YQM)
Halifax (YHZ)
Winnipeg (YWG)
Lethbridge (YQL)
Calgary (YYC)
Edmonton (YEG)
Abbotsford (YXX)
Victoria (YYJ)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Orlando (MCO/SFB)
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)

Total Destinations 12

Winter 2019 - 2020

Halifax (YHZ)
Winnipeg (YWG)
Lethbridge (YQL)
Calgary (YYC)
Red Deer (YQF)
Edmonton (YEG)
Abbotsford (YXX)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Phoenix (PHX)
Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
Orlando (MCO/SFB)
Tampa (TPA)
Ft. Myers (RSW)
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL)
Cancun (CUN)
Montego Bay (MBJ)
Punta Cana (PUJ)
Total Destinations 17
So, upstart low cost carrier Canada Jetlines has tentative plans to service three Atlantic Canadian airports. The proposed dates for commencement of service are:

Halifax - Summer 2018 (service year round)
St. John's - Summer 2019 (service seasonal)
Moncton - Summer 2019 (service seasonal)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Marlin Travel opens an agency in the Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport
NOVEMBER 1, 2017

DIEPPE – The Greater Moncton International Airport Authority (GMIAA) is pleased to announce the opening of a travel agency within the terminal building. It will be fully operational early November.
Welcoming the travel agency, Airport Authority President and CEO, Mr. Bernard LeBlanc, said “We are very happy to have Marlin Travel as a new business partner in the terminal building. This addition will certainly help passengers, visitors and employees with all their travel needs. We believe there could not be a more natural fit to have travel agents in the airport, this will be very
convenient for many.”

http://cyqm.ca/news/marlin-travel-op...ional-airport/

I not sure about the rest of you, but I think locating a retail travel agency at an airport terminal is rather odd. Most people in the terminal are already on their way somewhere. It's hard to imagine them making travel arrangements while they're there.......

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 9:49 PM

Any jets at YQM now? I note the photo on the home page is all Q400s. Don't get me wrong....I'd take a Q400 over an AC CRJ anyday.....but is Westjet still operating '737s?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 10:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Any jets at YQM now? I note the photo on the home page is all Q400s. Don't get me wrong....I'd take a Q400 over an AC CRJ anyday.....but is Westjet still operating '737s?
We now have 3x daily service to YYZ via WestJet, but the tradeoff was using Q400s rather than 737s. Porter of course is all Q400 too.

The AC service is pretty much all turboprop too, although i think that the CRJs may still be used to Montreal or Ottawa - I'm not entirely sure.

Of course we still get the big passenger jets in here for the winter sun flights, and this can be up to 14 flights per week.

Also, as an added bonus - I double checked the winter flight schedule out of YQM before responding and I see that the Celebrity Cruise flights to Miami have been reinstated.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 11:50 PM

Odd though that the Miami flight shows only on March 17 and a Ft Lauderdale departure on March 25.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Canada Jetlines Spreads Its Wings by Announcing Halifax Stanfield International Airport as its Eastern Operational Base

DECEMBER 5,2017

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, Canada Jetlines Ltd. (JET: TSX-V) (JETMF: OTCQB) (the “Company” or “Jetlines”) is pleased to announce that it intends to offer ultra-low fare service from Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), when it begins flight operations targeted for Summer 2018.

Stan Gadek, CEO of Jetlines stated, “We are pleased to announce the selection of Halifax Stanfield International Airport as our eastern operations base. Halifax is the leading airport of the Atlantic provinces and we look forward to lowering the cost of air travel to and from Atlantic Canada with our Ultra-Low Fares.” This announcement marks the third airport that Jetlines has agreed to terms with, in addition to Hamilton, ON and Abbotsford, BC, as we continue to implement our strategy of becoming Canada’s first true Ultra-Low Cost Carrier (ULCC).

Bert van der Stege, Chief Commercial Officer, Halifax International Airport Authority stated, “We’re delighted that Canada Jetlines has selected Halifax Stanfield as one of their first airports in the country. Experience has shown that the model of low cost and low fare travel stimulates demand and we look forward to offering passengers more travel options between Atlantic Canada, Hamilton, ON and Abbotsford, BC.”

About Canada Jetlines Ltd.

Canada Jetlines is set to become Canada’s first ultra-low cost carrier (ULCC) airline, with plans to operate flights across Canada and provide non-stop service from Canada to the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean. Jetlines is led by a board and management team with extensive experience and expertise in low-cost airlines, start-ups and capital markets. The Company was granted an unprecedented exemption from the Government of Canada that will permit it to conduct domestic air services while having up to 49% foreign voting interests.

Jetlines plans to operate modern Boeing 737-800NG aircraft in a 189 seat, all-coach configuration. Additional services for baggage, seat selection and onboard beverages will be available to customers for an additional charge. Jetlines is planning to begin ticket sales through its website www.jetlines.ca in Spring 2018 and targeting start of flight operations for Summer 2018, subject to government approval.

For more information on Jetlines, please visit our website at www.jetlines.ca.
https://jetlines.ca/2017/12/canada-j...rational-base/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:45 PM

It makes sense that Halifax would be an Atlantic hub for an airline. Not sure if it is a secondary airport as there model suggests... more like the main for this region. Moncton would be more of a secondary airport but whatever the Southwest/Ryanair model they want to follow, good luck to them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces