HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 9:38 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

This is a good question for the airport authority (you can email them) but I believe the current capacity is around 5 million pax per year, jumping to around 6-7 million when phases 2-3 of the expansion are complete.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:38 PM

there's a phase 3?, what's phase 3, it won't be done right after 2 right, there will be a waiting period

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 12:01 AM

Yes, there is also a phase 3. And yes, it won't happen immediately but rather when traffic warrants it.

Details on it are a bit sketchy, but as I've heard phase 3 will expand parking facilities and add more aircraft gates. By more gates I believe they mean remote parking stands (between the terminal building and the Esso/Shell FBOs) and not additional terminal expansion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 4:09 AM

Part of phase 3 is already done -the parking garage expansion. The other part involves knocking down that hangar just north of the terminal and lengthening the north 'finger' of the terminal to add 2 or 3 more gates for larger planes.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 1:24 PM
Closed account

JL Richards and Associates used to have a rendering on their website showing the different phases of development, but they've since replaced it with photos from the new terminal. I *believe*, from what I recall of the picture, that the airport was supposed to be further expanded on the transborder side, but I can't be absolutely certain and it seems that there isn't a whole lot of space to expand there. Current renderings for Phase 2 show a few remote stands, so I expect that will be included with this phase of construction

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 1:27 PM

Construction Update

March 18, 2007

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 4:13 PM
Community Guy

YOW feels like YEG so much and in so many ways...under the shadow of tor and mtl.

what are YOW's stats? I would love to compare to YEG given how both cities are about the same size.

Here are YEG's most recent from 06:

Domestic: 4,346,788
Transborder: 693,378
International: 171,745
---------------------
Total: 5,211,911

we are on pace for 6,000,000+ this yr.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:41 PM
Community Guy

this pathetic little chart was all i could find...more?

http://www.ottawa-airport.ca/FlightI...paxchart-e.pdf

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:19 PM

YEG should be happy her geography doesn't suck as much as YOW's. Our numbers should be similar to yours but ...

Totals for 2007:

Domestic - 2,807,377
TB + Int'l - 1,001,432
Total - 3,808,809

At least we have you beat on the TB + Int'l number

BTW, I am fully aware of the explosive growth at Alberta airports but to see +800k pax growth in a year is nuts for an airport like YEG/YOW. We'll have to revisit that 6 mil number in a year.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
YEG should be happy her geography doesn't suck as much as YOW's. Our numbers should be similar to yours but ...

Totals for 2007:

Domestic - 2,807,377
TB + Int'l - 1,001,432
Total - 3,808,809

At least we have you beat on the TB + Int'l number

BTW, I am fully aware of the explosive growth at Alberta airports but to see +800k pax growth in a year is nuts for an airport like YEG/YOW. We'll have to revisit that 6 mil number in a year.
interesting transborder...thanks for the numbers.

for Jan/Feb this yr we are up 18.3% and that is over the 15% records from last yr. YEG finally has the service it deserves so we will see even more people using it.

do a lot of people drive to MTL to fly?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:49 PM

ac, where did you get your numbers for YOW? The airport authority doesn't seem to want to share much of anything these days on their website (no mention of the current project under construction, no updates, no statement of numbers for 2006 apart from incomplete quarterly reports, etc). I had to remind them to update their data last year several months after additional destinations were added. It's like their web presence is always an afterthought.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Community Guy

So YOW and YWG are within 450,000ish...interesting.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
do a lot of people drive to MTL to fly?
YOW loses well over 200k pax per year to YUL. About half of them drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j
ac, where did you get your numbers for YOW? The airport authority doesn't seem to want to share much of anything these days on their website (no mention of the current project under construction, no updates, no statement of numbers for 2006 apart from incomplete quarterly reports, etc).
I get my information from a few sources who either once did, or currently do, work for the airport authority.

I agree that their web site could use more regular updates. They covered Phase I of the expansion pretty well (regular news, picture updates) but there is complete silence for Phase II. That's why I'm trying to do a monthly picture update of some sort.

And yeah, they do seem to keep official numbers a bit close to the chest for whatever reason. I don't see why they don't just publish the information like pretty much every other airport does.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:30 AM
Community Guy

how about to YYZ?

same?more?

"YOW loses well over 200k pax per year to YUL. About half of them drive."

YEG loses roughly 500,000-1,000,000 to YYC i figure...prob closer to 500k now...was 1mil 2-3 yrs ago, hence part of the reason for our growth.

Does YOW have a 20yr outlook? PDF?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:34 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I would like to place a wager on this one. My guess that YEG will either surpass or just slightly fall short of 6 million PAX in 2007.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:42 AM
Community Guy

will YOW beat 4,000,000?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I would like to place a wager on this one. My guess that YEG will either surpass or just slightly fall short of 6 million PAX in 2007.
I'm not saying it won't happen. It will be very impressive if it does, that's all. The recent introduction of currently 3x-weekly (eventually daily) YEG-LHR with Air Canada will certainly provide a good portion of the boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
how about to YYZ?

same?more?
Oh god, while I don't have any official number on this I'm sure it's many times more. I'll try to get some hard numbers though.

I figure between YUL and YYZ, YOW probably loses over a million pax per year. Again this is just a brutal estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
will YOW beat 4,000,000?
YOW will need roughly 5% growth over last year to reach/surpass 4 million. That will be difficult because I haven't yet heard of many significant route increases/introductions. A full year of Porter service to YTZ and seasonal YHZ service will help, as will the 1-2 month extension of the season YOW-CDG by Air Transat, but even still 5% will be a challenge.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 8:36 PM

what flights have benn and are planned to be added to the flight schedule of the airport. It did get a Frankfurt flight right

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 9:43 PM
Community Guy

so this is how it looks for cities of around 1 mil:

(2006)
calgary - 10,000,000+
Edmonton - 5,200,000+
Ottawa - 3,800,000+
Winnipeg - 3,300,000+
Hamilton - ?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 11:18 PM

calgary is 11million not 10 as for hamilton i only foumd the aircraft movement

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation