HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of this new format?
I really like it 17 45.95%
I'm still trying to get used to it 5 13.51%
I'm not sure...give me more time 6 16.22%
I [still] hate it (warning: you may be banned) 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 3:36 AM

This new format (the sequel)

It's been 7 days, lets hear what you think now.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 3:39 AM
be nice to the crackheads

What's not to like? It's very organized and easy to use. I find myself posting more these days because of the change.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 4:03 AM

same, i find that there is way more activty and it is more spread out.

I also find it intresting to note that some, but not all of the people that were against the change never really posted to often, and simply aren't posting at all now. While I feel sorry for the people who feel alienated, I feel that the change is best.

ALso, where the hell is our "recent topic list" to ease in finding the most up to date topics?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
same, i find that there is way more activty and it is more spread out.
While the novelty lasts.

Need more new users to keep it going. Has word gotten out about it yet?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 6:40 PM

well, since we got our own sub-forum within the Canada regional forum, alot of people from other regions have noticed and quite a few are begging for there own. A number have dropped in to say hello.

Problem is we are still simply another forum within SSP, we need a new URL to link to here, otherwise we will never be noticed by people outside this forum.

Mr.x2, get a move on it or I will find out where you live and... get your mother to nag at you all day.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 6:52 PM

We're working on the URL, but before we fly head first into the costs involved we'll need to make sure this works and hiccups are worked out. If we do go with the URL we'll have a custom banner for Vancouver, too, which will be nice.

As for the new threads listing, still working on it. Might require a custom mod which would be a travesty to implement Too bad this forum software has several shortcomings that should have been included in the package.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
well, since we got our own sub-forum within the Canada regional forum, alot of people from other regions have noticed and quite a few are begging for there own. A number have dropped in to say hello.

Isn't it fun to be sucking on the lollipop with all the other kids that don't have one watching?

Quote:
Mr.x2, get a move on it or I will find out where you live and... get your mother to nag at you all day.
*pokes Mike K.*

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 12:47 AM

Someone say my name?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
As for the new threads listing, still working on it. Might require a custom mod which would be a travesty to implement Too bad this forum software has several shortcomings that should have been included in the package.
kk, URL bit is undeerstandable... besides, should we be able to vote on one?

As for the whole custom mod bit... why can't we start up a donation system whereby the forum goers are welcome too, but not forced to donate 10 or 20 bucks to the cost of upgrading the forum, database, new URL's, etc. I've always wondered who is actually paying for this?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 2:39 AM

The only issue with custom mods is a development project like that, even though small, could still run a couple g's. Developers these days charge a lot of $$$ and getting some kid to do it on the cheap could leave us with a bug that causes more problems with future updates and other mods. Dylan, being a programmer, may attempt to tackle something like that but as things stand now he's putting all of his effort into coding other components of the site that are in desperate need of updating.

There may still be a ready-made mod out there which Dylan is still searching for. He might stumble on it and then we're set.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 2:50 AM

Well my idea for the thing originally came from the forums at www.canadaka.net, as did the donation idea. Perhaps he could talk to the site admin and owner over there.

The guy's name is Trevour, and he happens to be a Vancouver local. (hell, I think he lives downtown and runs the server out of his apartment <---rumoured)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:32 PM

Not a fan of the new changes. I can appreciate the desire to accomodate newcomers and people who can't keep up to date with the projects discussed in the Vancouver construction thread, and it is certainly easier to navigate, but it is way easier to check one thread as opposed to checking a dozen for updates.

Same thing with all the subsections, why so many? I'm less inclined to check each section, let alone post.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 9:31 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
This is simply not the case in the Alberta subforum. Most of us are very opposed to any change to this format. We still very much regard the breakup of the Western Canada subforum as a miserable failure, although I know many of you Vancouverites were pining for your own forum.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
This is simply not the case in the Alberta subforum. Most of us are very opposed to any change to this format. We still very much regard the breakup of the Western Canada subforum as a miserable failure, although I know many of you Vancouverites were pining for your own forum.
Why???

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 12:09 AM

Now if only we could break down the votes into locals and outsiders.

I suspect most of the outsiders voted for the negative categories.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
This is simply not the case in the Alberta subforum. Most of us are very opposed to any change to this format.
From the poll that was launched to see how many forumers in Alberta came from CGY, EDM or other towns, 86 people responded. Of those 86, 10 sounded like they did not immediately warm up to something like SSP:Local.

10 individuals is not a majority, and of those 10 some were not clear whether or not they wouldn't want to see a change or whether or not they simply didn't like the thought of change. Others still liked the SSP:Local concept but pointed out C2E in Edmonton, which is something similar. Someone else even pointed out that C2E was a product of SSP's success in attracting EDM forumers and which was born out of SSP's lack of urban-themed discussion potential. So during that discussion when I presented a format to support urban discussions to help keep those people around, the same forumers were unhappy that it was being presented (not sure what to make of that). So I'm getting the sense that it's not SSP:Local format people dislike, it's the process of getting used to it and changing their routines that's the real problem.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:08 AM

With the BC forum near-dead, on life support....maybe that forum should be merged with Alberta? The Alberta forum has 20x more traffic than BC.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
With the BC forum near-dead, on life support....maybe that forum should be merged with Alberta? The Alberta forum has 20x more traffic than BC.
That is, until we start plucking them out with a SSP:Local Calgary and SSP:Local Edmonton.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
That is, until we start plucking them out with a SSP:Local Calgary and SSP:Local Edmonton.
Nah, i'd prefer to suck on the only lollipop in the world, while all of them are watching.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 4:10 AM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
10 individuals is not a majority, and of those 10 some were not clear whether or not they wouldn't want to see a change or whether or not they simply didn't like the thought of change. Others still liked the SSP:Local concept but pointed out C2E in Edmonton, which is something similar. Someone else even pointed out that C2E was a product of SSP's success in attracting EDM forumers and which was born out of SSP's lack of urban-themed discussion potential. So during that discussion when I presented a format to support urban discussions to help keep those people around, the same forumers were unhappy that it was being presented (not sure what to make of that). So I'm getting the sense that it's not SSP:Local format people dislike, it's the process of getting used to it and changing their routines that's the real problem.
You must be reading a different discussion. Of all the people who made responses about the SSP Local concept, only 2 forumers have supported it (Xelebes and Itom). All the rest of the respondents have indicated that they oppose any such change, including all of the Calgary forumers except for freeweed, who has said he would only give support on the condition that there would be software available for "user-defined thread/forum grouping." A few of the Edmonton forumers have said that they like the concept of a local forum, but that SSP is not the place for it, that is what C2E is for. Again, many of the Calgary forumers have expressed that this is not something they want to see changed and have provided reasons, they consider the Western Provinces rearrangement to have been a dumb move, and the underlying sentiment is that a local format would hurt the Calgary forum rather than help it.

If such a change ended up killing the Calgary section, and our construction thread, I would very strongly consider abandoning any further updates here and setting them up on CUI site, since the infrastructure is already in place for such a move. We have only made the choice to continue maintaining the development inventory here since the community is very strong.

Not coincidentally, many of the top Calgary posters on here are CUI members...

Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion