HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:22 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballain View Post
Nope cant be that one, its only 3 or 4 because it is constructed in wood.
Food for thought:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...648/story.html
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03...od-high-rises/
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/03/w...er-30-storeys/

I don't know whether building codes here would allow for anything over 4-5 floors though.

IIRC, a pretty tall building was going up in Quebec City that was all wood-framed as well.

It would be neat if we could become innovators in high-rise wood construction. It would be a great value-added business to grow the forestry sector in New Brunswick.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 8:36 PM
Our Tide is Rising

- Work ongoing at the "4 corners" will indeed be a parking lot expansion for the Purolator call center

- There is a new apartment started on Gauvin rd...at the end near to the recently finished yellow one. It looks to be the same size...long and 4 floors.

- There is a new industrial building going up on Malenfant Blvd near the Irving HQ...it looks to be arounf 40,000 sq ft. no "for lease" signage so I assume its owner build and occupy style.

- The Jean Coutou is moving along well..."topped out" and exterior work ongoing

- The Ultramar/Second Cup is looking nearly done from the outside.

- The new condos on Amirault are finishing up exterior work...looking very sharp.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, Fisherman's Paradise at the corner of Champlain & Dieppe Blvd will close. This is a prominent building on a high profile corner.

I haven't eaten there in years (which is probably part of the problem ), but I am still sad to see it go. The food was pretty good. Unfortunately, Fisherman's Paradise was mostly off by itself. Most of the better restaurants in the city are downtown or in the power centre district near Mapleton. This geographic isolation was likely bad for business.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:39 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to the T&T, Fisherman's Paradise at the corner of Champlain & Dieppe Blvd will close. This is a prominent building on a high profile corner.

I haven't eaten there in years (which is probably part of the problem ), but I am still sad to see it go. The food was pretty good. Unfortunately, Fisherman's Paradise was mostly off by itself. Most of the better restaurants in the city are downtown or in the power centre district near Mapleton. This geographic isolation was likely bad for business.
That and the fact they haven't changed anything since opening in 89...they are falling victim to the same issue as Ponderosa...if you don't keep it fresh you will die...Resturants and retail are the same in that respect. They need constant change to remain fresh...go into any McDonalds today and look around...you wont see too much the same from even 5 years ago.

That said:

The Keg + Starbucks + Tide and Boar + Moxies + Satay Grill + Papa Johns + Catch 22 + Osaka Hibatchi - Ponderosa & Fishermans Paradise = GREAT

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are well along on bricking the facade for the new Jean Coutu Pharmacy on Dieppe Bld.

A little further down the road, the new Ultramar gas station has now opened. The Second Cup at this location looks to be completed and I presume will be opening imminently.

In between these two developments, there is a new foundation being excavated. Does anyone know what this will be?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Dieppe Boulevard Update:

The facade on the Jean Coutu building across from the Co-op store is largely complete.

Around the Jean Coutu building, there is extensive site work going on for a new commercial development and new roadways are being installed. Fengate Corporation has signs up saying that pad sites are available. Does anyone know more about this?

Further down the road, the new Ultramar/Second Cup is now open.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Dieppe Boulevard Update:

Around the Jean Coutu building, there is extensive site work going on for a new commercial development and new roadways are being installed. Fengate Corporation has signs up saying that pad sites are available. Does anyone know more about this?

According to this from the "village on Dieppe blvd" website, it's just an extension of Principale street to make more lots available for sale.

Seems like the lot across from JeanCoutu has been sold to BMR, a hardware store.

It also shows a 30-Unit apartment building currently under constructions on the lower right-hand side of the map.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 2:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good find! Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 6:19 PM
I have no Title

Dieppe Blvd extension

Something interesting I discovered. If you zoom in on google maps on where Dieppe Blvd will extend to almost all the way. You can see where it will meet up with Route 925. Not to mention several other "Planned Roads" in Dieppe.

Last edited by Hogie75; Nov 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 6:58 PM

It looks like a substantial development is starting up at the corner of Champlain and Rue du Marché in Dieppe. There is a fence around the area and it seems like they doing some foundation prep work. I wonder if it's the proposed Place Évangeline that is finally being built.

Unfortunately I didn't had the chance to take a picture but here is the rendering of the proposed Place Évangeline.

Source:http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...k/DSCN2030.jpg

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 7:56 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

That would be nice, but I don't think so. That development was supposed to go right at the corner, but it appears they're only digging up the smaller lot next to it. There used to be a small white house/office there but that was knocked down recently.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_5 View Post
It looks like a substantial development is starting up at the corner of Champlain and Rue du Marché in Dieppe. There is a fence around the area and it seems like they doing some foundation prep work. I wonder if it's the proposed Place Évangeline that is finally being built.
Unfortunately not. I heard it's a 2 story office building.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are currently debating the municipal budget for the City of Dieppe for 2013.

It appears that a new fire station for Dieppe Blvd serving the uptown area is a given and should be constructed next year. The new station will be 13,000 sq ft, will be built on the extension of Dieppe Blvd south of Melanson and will cost about $5M, and for those who are counting, would be the eighth fire station in Moncton/Riverview/Dieppe.

Other items:
- traffic signalization will be installed on Dieppe Blvd at Chartersville and at Rufin.
- sports fields adjacent to the Centennial Arena will be relocated due to an expected expansion of the arena in 2015.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 1:50 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Good to hear about the traffic lights on Dieppe. They've had the stubs in for the light poles for quite a while. The traffic there is definitely getting to the point where signals would help.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:14 AM

I heard today that the ol' Fisherman's Paradise will be home to Dieppe's long-time rumored St. Hubert Express. Source is from someone that works in the building across the street from the site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithree View Post
I heard today that the ol' Fisherman's Paradise will be home to Dieppe's long-time rumored St. Hubert Express. Source is from someone that works in the building across the street from the site.
Kind of a big lot for a St. Hubert Express. They could put in a full fledged St. Hubert there.

There are two Swiss Chalets in town, why not?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:27 AM

I had the chance to take a picture of the building under construction on the corner of Champlain st. and Rue du Marché. It's called the Market Place.
Here is a rendering of the finished project.

photo-1 by Phil_5, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I had the chance to take a picture of the building under construction on the corner of Champlain st. and Rue du Marché. It's called the Market Place.
Nice infill project for that area. Looks like a parking lot on the west side of the property, hopefully it'll be mostly behind the building and not extend all the way to the corner with rue du Marché.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 1:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Here is a rendering of the finished project.

photo-1 by Phil_5, on Flickr
Something about this in the paper today. This building is already 90% leased and will be the home of Exit Realty and Mistral Communications.

The mayor of Dieppe also hinted this was the first part of the second phase of development in downtown Dieppe and that other announcements would be forthcoming in the next few months....

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 5:08 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Something about this in the paper today. This building is already 90% leased and will be the home of Exit Realty and Mistral Communications.

The mayor of Dieppe also hinted this was the first part of the second phase of development in downtown Dieppe and that other announcements would be forthcoming in the next few months....
Awesome news! Maybe it not 4 floors but thats a great looking building. Glad to hear things are moving forward...

I hope one of those announcements will be that Angies is moving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces