HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 5:07 PM
tilted & shifted

How a once-promising development off the Mag Mile became a cautionary tale for Chicago's next megaprojects

by Blair Kamin

Put the 60 acres between Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue under a microscope and what you see is a cityscape of great expectations and half-kept promises, writes our architecture critic. The district’s shortcomings loom large as city officials review new plans in Lincoln Park and South Loop.

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/c...-center-kamin/

Old Posted Today, 5:21 PM

Tribune Site on the North Branch

Approved today....

-Phase 1A

-$305M first phase build out

-1500 residential units

-4 buildings: 508', 307', 154', & 124'

-497 parking spaces

-70'-80' setback from the river

-100' distance between towers

-Underfeeder park

-Overall buildout of 30 acres is a $2,500,000,000

-All affordable housing on site

-10 year project

-2020 possible start?

Old Posted Today, 5:33 PM

wow fantastic!

Old Posted Today, 5:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ whoa, that's huge.

for whatever reason, i wasn't expecting towers that tall there. more like in the 300' range.

500+' is great and will really pull the skyline NW.

Old Posted Today, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
How a once-promising development off the Mag Mile became a cautionary tale for Chicago's next megaprojects

by Blair Kamin

Put the 60 acres between Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue under a microscope and what you see is a cityscape of great expectations and half-kept promises, writes our architecture critic. The district’s shortcomings loom large as city officials review new plans in Lincoln Park and South Loop.

Must we share articles from that hack?

Old Posted Today, 5:55 PM

MORE TRIBUNE SITE RENDERINGS...

Old Posted Today, 6:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
MORE TRIBUNE SITE RENDERINGS...
Nothing's loading up...

Old Posted Today, 6:18 PM
TL;DR

Wow, looks like they are seriously gonna preserve that rail spur. That's a great idea, it will make a perfect transit corridor some day. Even a streetcar line could offer something close to rapid transit here, as it would run in its own right-of-way and have a grade separation at Chicago/Halsted.

And with the Blommer family looking to cash out, the chocolate plant might close and there goes the last industrial customer on the rail spur. At that point UP might be willing to finally vacate the entire corridor including Carroll St...

The city seriously fumbled by allowing the old rail spur on the east bank to get built over with condo towers. Otherwise we might already have a functional transit line serving the North Branch.

Old Posted Today, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post

by Blair Kamin

Thanks for sharing. I ran into a reference to a master plan for Cityfront Center a while ago, somehow landing on this page. My reaction was "that area has a name? and a master plan?". This article very much helped to explain my confusion.

Old Posted Today, 6:29 PM

Sexy stuff especially the two closest to kingsbury

Old Posted Today, 6:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
Thanks for sharing. I ran into a reference to a master plan for Cityfront Center a while ago, somehow landing on this page. My reaction was "that area has a name? and a master plan?". This article very much helped to explain my confusion.
Cooper Robertson was really the brains behind Cityfront Center's planning. I believe they were hired based on the success of their plan for Battery Park City in NY, and the original ideas in Cityfront Center were very similar.

I'm not sure why Battery Park City was a success while Cityfront Center was a failure. Certainly the factors aligned for BPC to be truly mixed-use with a significant office component (World Financial Center, Goldman Sachs) while the office market in Chicago actually moved away from Cityfront Center (and Michigan Ave/East Loop generally) right after NBC Tower was completed. The residential and other uses in Cityfront Center got built in fits and starts.

Overall though, I think city building is an art and not a science. In our capitalist system, you can't create vibrant neighborhoods overnight without unusually long boom periods. Cityfront Center isn't a finished product, it still has several building sites left and the completed buildings will evolve over time. We're already seeing the first generation of 70s and 80s towers in Streeterville get remodeled with better street fronts and more retail space, now that the population is there to support it. Parkview West's modernist park was ripped out less than ten years after it was built, and will be replaced with the new Bennett Park that will certainly be more successful. Eventually the same will happen to the Cityfront Buildings.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations