HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Well all the article did mention "mixed-use" but as far as I could tell it only mentioned office space, unless I'm mis-reading something.

You never realized that the street just to the east of State Street is 200 East?

You read that right, office space is mixed use but there aren't plans for retail.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 11:19 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:41 AM

^
It's interesting that LA has less vacant land in their CBD than New York City according to that chart.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:03 PM
SLC Lifer

City and state talks about the Inland Port fiasco have broken down. No special session. No surprises here. This city always thinks it has leverage when it in fact has none. Much like they should have TAKEN the proposed deal that only relinquished 2% of tax increment to the authority. Now it relinquishes ALL tax increment. You play hardball with no leverage, you lose. Every time. This has to be the most disappointing council and mayor of all time.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...and-port-bill/

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
City and state talks about the Inland Port fiasco have broken down. No special session. No surprises here. This city always thinks it has leverage when it in fact has none. Much like they should have TAKEN the proposed deal that only relinquished 2% of tax increment to the authority. Now it relinquishes ALL tax increment. You play hardball with no leverage, you lose. Every time. This has to be the most disappointing council and mayor of all time.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...and-port-bill/
I agree, their understanding of negotiating leaves much lacking. They are clearly focused on what is fair and not what is actually possible considering the reality of the situation. It sucks for the city, but they need to wake up and come to grips that life is full of crappy, unfair situations that you make the best of. You would think this counsel and mayor office is run by millennials.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 4:11 PM

I think they should get the State to agree to only capture up to 5% of the tax increase for incentives. Still more than the 1-3% the City wanted to give and down from the 100% the State currently has.

The City can give on some of the Green portion and through controls. By this they can't ban what goes through but the State should allow and require items such as Coal to be in sealed containers. This will avoid possible coal dust issues when the wind picks up.

It's all about compromise.

From what it sounds like, there hasn't been any discussions per say or negotiations but more of a here is my version of the bill - hot potato- to see which can stay in the hands longer.

Just put them all in a construction trailer out at the new Prison site and lock it until they reach a compromise. No party will get 100% of their items and I doubt SLC will get even 50% of their requests even though 90% of the port area is within SLC directly.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 11:17 AM

Utah top in country for job growth for 2nd month in a row, report says

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...port-says.html

SALT LAKE CITY — The Beehive State’s labor market continued to hum along in April, logging the highest job growth rate in the country for the second month in a row, according to Utah Governor’s Office of Management and Budget...

...“Healthy expansion continues to be the theme driving Utah’s economy,” Carrie Mayne, the department’s chief economist, said in a statement. “The sustained combination of strong job growth and low unemployment indicates Utah’s labor market is operating at an optimal level.”

Phil Dean, chief economist of the Utah Governor’s Office of Management and Budget, concurred.

“The state’s economic strength reflects not only an expansionary national economic climate, but also foundational state policy decisions designed to harness the power of market forces,” he said in a statement.The report noted Utah’s private sector employment grew by 3.7 percent in the 12-month span with the addition of 45,300 positions. Eight of the 10 private sector industry groups measured in the establishment survey posted net job increases in April, while natural resources and mining lost 200 jobs and other services lost 600 jobs.

The largest private sector employment increases were in trade, transportation and utilities (11,600 jobs); professional and business services (9,100 jobs); and construction (7,100 jobs). The fastest employment growth occurred in construction (7.5 percent); leisure and hospitality (4.8 percent); and professional and business services (4.5 percent).

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 12:39 PM

A recap of a few of Building Salt Lake's recent development reports. Thank you Isaac and Mike!!

Downtown Adj. - Missing Middle projects in the Marmalade District nearing completion

Mike Fife Reports - Full Article & Many More Photos @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mis...ng-completion/

Despite the wintry look in the images, the generally mild winter has been a boon to construction throughout the Wasatch Front and significant progress has been made on three missing middle projects in the Marmalade neighborhood...

Marmalade Courtyard

The Marmalade Courtyards project will be the most affordable of the three developments and will consist of 30 housing units with 23 new construction townhomes and seven condo units. The townhomes are almost entirely framed out and are located along a private drive between 800 North and Reed Avenue. Construction hasn’t started yet on the seven condos but the units will replace two existing former retail buildings on the corner of 800 North and 300 West. The new townhouses are in six buildings, the three on the west side are nearing completion and the three on the east side are well underway. Prices will start at $349,900.

The Marmalade Courtyard townhouse as seen looking east along the 300 west block of Reed Ave. Photo by Mike Fife.

These former historic commercial buildings will be renovated into seven condos as part of the Marmalade Courtyards project as seen looking south from 800 North. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Grove at Marmalade

The Grove at Marmalade project consists of 12 for-sale townhomes on the north side of the 200 west block of 500 North. The project is part of the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency’s Marmalade Block development which also includes the completed Marmalade Branch Library to the south and Clearwater Homes’ future mixed-use apartment development that is expected to begin construction in 2018.

Rendering of The Grove at Marmalade as seen looking north from 500 North.

The Grove at Marmalade townhomes as seen looking northeast from 500 North. Photo by Mike Fife.

Almond Street Townhomes

The 17-unit Almond Street Townhome project by Garbett Homes is nearing completion. The project sits on the south-west edge of Capitol Hill in the Marmalade neighborhood. The townhomes are just a block north of downtown, within walking distance many downtown amenities. Built in two phases, the units fronting West Temple are virtually complete and the units fronting Almond Street are framed-out and wrapped. According to the Garbett Homes website, all of the smaller units along West Temple have been sold. Three of the four larger units at Almond Street are still available. These three bed/two bath 2,841-square-foot models are listed at $789,404.

Almond Street townhomes as seen looking north along the 200 north block of Almond Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

The south end of the completed first phase of the Almond Street townhomes and the under-construction second phase as seen from the 200 north block of West Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

One of the completed units of the Almond Street townhomes along West Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

Downtown Update - Affordable housing to replace the Royal Garden Inn

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/aff...al-garden-inn/

The site of an aging motel will soon be the home of downtown Salt Lake’s next affordable housing development. Demolition work has started on the Royal Garden Inn at the 100 West block of 600 South to make way for construction of the Garden Lofts Apartments, a proposed 272 unit affordable housing development.

Garden Lofts will be third downtown adjacent, work-force housing project by Wasatch Residential Group. The developers also built the Providence Place at the 300 East block of 100 South and the 600 Lofts at the southwest corner of the 600 South and State Street intersection.

All of the project’s 272 units will be reserved for residents earning 60 percent AMI (Area Median Income). The units will be a mix of studio, one, two and three-bedroom apartments, the bulk of which will be one and two bedroom apartments. Rents will range between $725 for studio units to $1,065 for the three-bedroom units.

The Lofts will replace the two-story Royal Garden Inn on a 3.18-acre parcel that is completely surrounded by mid-rise hotels.

A preliminary rendering of the south face of the Garden Lofts as designed by BSB design. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Crews have started demolition work on the Royal Garden Inn. Photo by Isaac Riddle.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:06 AM

I haven't seen anything about any actual highrise construction on this thread in quite some time. Does anyone have any news on Tower 8, Cowboy Properties, 370 Millennium Tower, Convention Center Hotel, or even Regent St? These are the things I check this forum to find out about. How many of these projects do you guys think will actually happen?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:19 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I haven't seen anything about any actual highrise construction on this thread in quite some time. Does anyone have any news on Tower 8, Cowboy Properties, 370 Millennium Tower, Convention Center Hotel, or even Regent St? These are the things I check this forum to find out about. How many of these projects do you guys think will actually happen?
Because there's little to report. Most these projects are probably not going to happen and if they do, aren't going to happen for at least a few more years.

Salt Lake City just doesn't have the economy to drive high-rise development like other cities.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:42 PM

Last edited by delts145; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:55 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Because there's little to report. Most these projects are probably not going to happen and if they do, aren't going to happen for at least a few more years.

Salt Lake City just doesn't have the economy to drive high-rise development like other cities.
Wrong. Our economy is cranking. The tallest residential rental tower in our states history was just announced (Cowboy) and there are more apartment units under construction along the WF than any other market of our size in the country. Not sure where you get your data.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Our economy is cranking. The tallest residential rental tower in our states history was just announced (Cowboy) and there are more apartment units under construction along the WF than any other market of our size in the country. Not sure where you get your data.
Which residential tower? 151? Cuz I know that one should be moving ahead, but i didn’t know it was Cowboy.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about it. Comrade is the grouchy man sitting on the bench of the Main Street of the Skyscraperpage Forum town. All towns need/have each type of personality that make the town interesting.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:53 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Don't worry about it. Comrade is the grouchy man sitting on the bench of the Main Street of the Skyscraperpage Forum town. All towns need/have each type of personality that make the town interesting.
ahaha except I'm generally right.

I get told 'wrong' and yet how much do you want to bet we don't see construction on anything 20 or more stories between now and the end of 2019?

Salt Lake City is extremely consistent in its tower development. They average about two 20+ story towers a decade.

1960s:

Gateway Tower East (1962)
136 East South Temple (1966)

1970s:

LDS Church Office Building (1973)
Key Bank Tower (1976)

1980s:

American Tower North/South (1982)
Eagle Gate Tower (1986)

1990s:

One Utah Center (1991)
American Stores Tower (1998)
Gateway Tower West (1998)

2000s:

Grand America Hotel (2001)
222 South Main (2009)

2010s:

99 West (2010)
The Regent (2011)
111 South Main (2016)

Only the 90s and the 10s broke that streak.

The good news is that the decade is winding down, so, we should get a new tower sometime in 2021 or 2022. The bad news is that we're likely not going to see a majority of the proposed towers come to fruition. History tells us most will not see any type of development and we're likely only going to get another tower or two in the next decade. Is that okay? Possibly. But for a state that sure likes to brag about its economy being the best in the nation, it sure isn't being felt in the skyline.

Moreover, here we are, years after initial talk of a convention center hotel, still waiting for that convention center hotel.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:02 PM

I tend to agree with comrade. Just because a city has a great economy doesn't mean it has the economy or demand for skyscrapers/high rises. For example look at Phoenix. I'm sorry to say this and it doesn't matter what any of you say it doesn't change reality, but Salt Lake is far more like Phoenix than we are like Denver, Seattle, or Austin when it comes to high rise economy. (heck even then I think Phoenix has a lot more high rises under construction than Salt Lake) High rise proposals don't equal a demand for high rises, just an interest. High rise construction equals a demand and economy for high rises. Until any of these proposals see shovels in the ground, its just that a proposal or a pipe dream. Very rarely has Salt Lake ever been able to get past the proposal plan. So say what you will but despite there being a great economy, there is no demand for high rise developments until you see actual high rise construction. You can say every excuse there is in the book, but they will remain excuses, if there was real demand, larger developers will notice and will make it happen regardless of financial excuses or any other crap.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
I tend to agree with comrade. Just because a city has a great economy doesn't mean it has the economy or demand for skyscrapers/high rises. For example look at Phoenix. I'm sorry to say this and it doesn't matter what any of you say it doesn't change reality, but Salt Lake is far more like Phoenix than we are like Denver, Seattle, or Austin when it comes to high rise economy. (heck even then I think Phoenix has a lot more high rises under construction than Salt Lake) High rise proposals don't equal a demand for high rises, just an interest. High rise construction equals a demand and economy for high rises. Until any of these proposals see shovels in the ground, its just that a proposal or a pipe dream. Very rarely has Salt Lake ever been able to get past the proposal plan. So say what you will but despite there being a great economy, there is no demand for high rise developments until you see actual high rise construction. You can say every excuse there is in the book, but they will remain excuses, if there was real demand, larger developers will notice and will make it happen regardless of financial excuses or any other crap.

I think it's more because of the suburban sprawl mindset. There is obviously office and housing demand. It's just that a majority of it is being built out in Lehi/Draper with all of the other stand-alone high-tech office buildings. I think these high-tech owners (Pluralsight, etc) are following the mindset of Silicon Valley and southern California and Arizona moreso than they are towards more urban conscious cities like Seattle, etc.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think it's more because of the suburban sprawl mindset. There is obviously office and housing demand. It's just that a majority of it is being built out in Lehi/Draper with all of the other stand-alone high-tech office buildings. I think these high-tech owners (Pluralsight, etc) are following the mindset of Silicon Valley and southern California and Arizona moreso than they are towards more urban conscious cities like Seattle, etc.
I think you say something very interesting, As we all know there are many reasons why some cities don't get the towers and urban scene that they deserve, but what you said may touch on a very real reason. Companies, like the tech companies, are coming from suburban areas of California and keep that mindset with them. But many times have we seen that if these companies would just move into downtown space, people are willing to move into the city to avoid commuting and many other sprawl problems we see.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 8:30 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Yup. It's probably also the natural consequence of trying to fish in two ponds (Silicon Slopes is midway between the U of U and BYU, both of which produce excellent computer science students).

While downtown's location makes it hella scenic, it also sort of dooms it because it can really only be accessed from 2 sides, which isolates it from being the "hub" in the center of the metro.

That said, the constant construction of midrise residential does my heart good. If people live downtown, there may eventually be more desire to build more skyscrapers downtown.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Yup. It's probably also the natural consequence of trying to fish in two ponds (Silicon Slopes is midway between the U of U and BYU, both of which produce excellent computer science students).

While downtown's location makes it hella scenic, it also sort of dooms it because it can really only be accessed from 2 sides, which isolates it from being the "hub" in the center of the metro.

That said, the constant construction of midrise residential does my heart good. If people live downtown, there may eventually be more desire to build more skyscrapers downtown.
If the question is why we don't have more towers downtown than 215 is spot on when he says the location of downtown is driving this issue. SLC has a downtown that is tucked away and is not centrally located, so as the suburbs developed it has relocated that power away from downtown. If your downtown is centrally located and all the suburban development radiates more or less equally from there, the city center retains is status of influence and also is not as far of a commute as the region grows. This creates a situation where company owners and executive officers, who make these decisions where to locate their offices, know they don't have to commute as far. SLC is in a place where the power center has shifted South and many of those people are living 20-50 miles away from SLC.

If the question is why we don't have taller towers the answer is simple: block size. There is a strong correlation between block size and tower height. Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver and even Phoenix have small blocks relative to SLC and not surprisingly have taller towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West