HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:05 PM

From GenslerATX's Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/blume_george/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:41 PM

Not only the tallest thing in the skyline by far, but also thick. The Austonian’s going to look like a needle next to it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:45 PM
Voice of the Modern World

We need more thick towers like these if we want our skyline to reach the next level, which is imposing.

When you drive to DT ATX from far away from any given direction, the first and only tower that becomes visible for the first several minutes is the Autonian because it dwarfs all the other buildings in height and size. It isn't until you get much closer to DT that the other buildings become visible.

This and The Independent and other towers should help make the skyline more imposing from a distance, add more symmetry, and more bulk IMO.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:50 PM

Coming in from the South the Independent stands out just as much now as the Austonian. But from a distance it looks pretty far West of the Austonian. We need more towers like this to fill in the middle.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 12:24 AM

I love the color gray. So I'm really hoping at least one of those blank parking podium walls is clad in gray metal panels.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I love the color gray. So I'm really hoping at least one of those blank parking podium walls is clad in gray metal panels.
Sure...why not...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
J E Dunn
I hear that JE Dunn lost this bid and it's either up for resubmission or the next in line best bid is on deck. Something about the JE bid coming in waaaaaaaaaaaaay under the next best which raised some red flags? Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
We need more thick towers like these if we want our skyline to reach the next level, which is imposing.

When you drive to DT ATX from far away from any given direction, the first and only tower that becomes visible for the first several minutes is the Autonian because it dwarfs all the other buildings in height and size. It isn't until you get much closer to DT that the other buildings become visible.

This and The Independent and other towers should help make the skyline more imposing from a distance, add more symmetry, and more bulk IMO.
So... Keep Austin Imposing?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:20 PM
Meh

How about "Make Austin visible from Burnet County"?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
AaahhhhthriridrdaandndsshoahoalCHOOO!! Scuse me did I sneeze?!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:58 PM
looking at plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSky View Post
I hear that JE Dunn lost this bid...
Can anyone confirm?
I had not heard that, but would definitely be interested to know if it is true.
The Subcontractor bid date to JE Dunn for this project was 4/24/18, so I guess it could have just happened.
But they were acting like it had been their project for quite some time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
How about "Make Austin visible from Burnet County"?
yes!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:30 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSky View Post
I hear that JE Dunn lost this bid and it's either up for resubmission or the next in line best bid is on deck. Something about the JE bid coming in waaaaaaaaaaaaay under the next best which raised some red flags? Can anyone confirm?
If that's the case, it's a good call on their (the developers) part. I'd be suspicious of a contractor undercutting others prices by a large amount. Better to make sure they will have quality, even if it means choosing the next up.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If that's the case, it's a good call on their (the developers) part. I'd be suspicious of a contractor undercutting others prices by a large amount. Better to make sure they will have quality, even if it means choosing the next up.
FWIW, I was told that Balfour Beatty was not the lowest bid for the Independent.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Keep Austin Tiered?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:57 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
No I was just talking about the DT skyline, not the entire city.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:05 AM

So do you all really like the design of this building, or are you more excited about the height and size of it?

I just don't see anything particularly interesting about the tower. For a signature tower in the skyline, it's very unremarkable, clumsily proportioned, and lacking a unifying vision. We really shouldn't accept such dumbed down architecture for a building this prominent (IMO).

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 10:00 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey View Post
So do you all really like the design of this building, or are you more excited about the height and size of it?

I just don't see anything particularly interesting about the tower. For a signature tower in the skyline, it's very unremarkable, clumsily proportioned, and lacking a unifying vision. We really shouldn't accept such dumbed down architecture for a building this prominent (IMO).
I've come around to this opinion as well, and seeing how value engineered Third and Shoal is doesn't give me much hope for this building.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:08 PM
Meh

I think I will probably end up liking this building. It has some features that I really do like, such as the hole at the top. I'm curious to see how they'll light that at night as well as the glass that wraps the top. That has the potential to be pretty dramatic.

I think the color potentially could end up being really unique compared to what we have so far. Yes, it has blue glass, but the (metal?) panels almost look like graphite in the renderings. I think the potential is there for some nice subdued contrast.

I really like the setbacks. I'm kind of a sucker for setbacks. I like that they break up the monotony a bit. And I think they actually emphasize the height rather than downplay it. I mean, that last setback on this building is at 655 feet - higher than the main roof on both The Austonian and The Independent.

One thing is that I think it'll end up looking like a different building from every side. I sort of like that but at the same time some buildings that appear different from every angle sort of bug me because I may not like some of those sides, either because of their shape or the facade design.

The one thing that bugs me the most is the office/residential transition, especially on the west side. I like the look of the angled office portion when you're viewing it from the south and southwest, but as you round the corner and see it from the west, that is where it does look clumsy. I'm not really a fan of angled buildings just because they sometimes look awkward in the way facades come together sometimes. I will say that probably the best side of the building for the way the angled office portion meshes with the residential levels is from the northeast corner looking southwest. That side, at least, has a real unifying look to it. I think also the crown on that side is going to look impressive at night since the glass portion of the crown on the north side seems to be taller.

I'm also worried about how the parking podium will look. It looks massive and I'm seeing too much blankness on it for my liking, especially at street level. I'm worried about what kind of street interaction it'll have, which is crazy because this thing should be wrapped with retail as an anchor to the neighborhood.

Otherwise, I really like it. I generally like the top, the setbacks, the color and materials. My two favorite sides would have to be the south and east sides, and the view from the northeast and southwest. Overall, I'm in disbelief that we're getting something that tall. I can't complain.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:23 PM

idk.....the more I look at this one the more it reminds me of a blown up 30 floor bleh tower that will potentially become our tallest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin