HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Wait!! Booing your home team/player at home?!!
How common is this.. anywhere?.. very different football culture in Manitoba as compared to Saskatchewan I guess.

The BBombers may have lived up to their name by 'bombing' last couple games, but they were each close games against the Riders.

The last couple weekends are traditionally tough against BBombers with Sask Riders winning each season. Riders winning last 13 out of 14 labor day classics in Regina & winning the last 4 straight seasons Bango bowls against Bombers in Winnipeg.

What's Bombers next games, maybe they can get back some wins by playing some eastern teams next/cross over to the east in playoffs?
That was not in response to 1 or 2 games. This has been building for many, many years. When they don't win the Grey Cup this year (let's be realistic) it will be the 28th year in a row that this has happened. They have fielded garbage for many years and after fooling the fans the last 2 years, it appears it's back to the same old garbage. And it's pathetic when your only hope of winning is to play the bottom eastern teams.

I am sure many fans like me are sick and tired of hearing the same old BS from O'Shea about these loses. And where is this magical mirror that they keep talking about after each pathetic loss that they are supposed to be looking into? I do feel very sorry for some players, like Harris,who are playing their hearts out but virtually always in a losing cause.

But mostly I feel sorry for the fans in Winnipeg who have gone faithfully to see the garbage year after year only to be rewarded with the same garbage in the end.

The entire coaching staff and management have to be put under a microscope and most likely shipped out of town based on that evaluation. I will temper that a bit by saying it is not required for O'Shea and Hall. Their results are overwhelmingly negative. Get rid of them now as NOTHING will change until they are gone.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
That was not in response to 1 or 2 games. This has been building for many, many years. When they don't win the Grey Cup this year (let's be realistic) it will be the 28th year in a row that this has happened. They have fielded garbage for many years and after fooling the fans the last 2 years, it appears it's back to the same old garbage. And it's pathetic when your only hope of winning is to play the bottom eastern teams.

I am sure many fans like me are sick and tired of hearing the same old BS from O'Shea about these loses. And where is this magical mirror that they keep talking about after each pathetic loss that they are supposed to be looking into? I do feel very sorry for some players, like Harris,who are playing their hearts out but virtually always in a losing cause.

But mostly I feel sorry for the fans in Winnipeg who have gone faithfully to see the garbage year after year only to be rewarded with the same garbage in the end.

The entire coaching staff and management have to be put under a microscope and most likely shipped out of town based on that evaluation. I will temper that a bit by saying it is not required for O'Shea and Hall. Their results are overwhelmingly negative. Get rid of them now as NOTHING will change until they are gone.
Exactly. 2nd worse run sports club in North America. 28 mother fucking years and same old shit. I’d like to seee now Riders fans would be if they sucked for 28 years. And yet we the tax payers pay for this new field of dreams for the Bombed out Bombers.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:31 PM

B.C. Lions legendary head coach Wally Buono unplugged
Steve Simmons Toronto Sun August 17, 2018

The numbers are beyond crazy.

Wally Buono has coached or played in 14 Grey Cup games — winning seven — and has been around the Canadian Football League for only 45 years as a linebacker, punter, assistant coach, head coach, general manager, team president and, now, back for the last hurrah, his final season coaching the B.C. Lions.

It’s a lifetime for some — a coaching lifetime that will end when this season does. He has won 276 games, more than any coach in CFL history, more than anyone in pro football history except for Don Shula and George Halas.

And not to be the least bit underrated, but probably appreciated, is the fact he has managed all of that as a Canadian, in a league historically dominated by American coaches and American managers.

Buono was an immigrant kid who grew up not speaking English in Montreal. Italian was his language of choice. And he was a kid whose mother cried when he left home for Idaho State University. What kind of decision was that when he had a construction job waiting for him after high school? Who thinks that way?

But he played at Idaho State, then for the Montreal Alouettes in that unusual combination of linebacker and punter, and he followed that by moving from assistant coach in Montreal and Calgary to a head-coaching position that changed his life — and the lives of so many that have played for him over the years.

The Sun had a rare opportunity to have a lengthy conversation with the 68-year-old living legend on Thursday as the unofficial farewell tour continues with a game on Saturday afternoon in Toronto. Here is Wally Buono, unplugged, in his own words.

As you approach what might be your last game coaching in Toronto, what comes to mind about games played here in the past?

“Two things come to mind. One good, one bad. The good was the ’92 Grey Cup game. We had a dominant win. The bad came from a 1990 game against the Argonauts. The great people of SkyDome decided not to take out the pitching mound, home plate, and second base for the game. They just put turf over it. And we (the Stampeders)got whipped (final score 70-18). It was a staggering defeat. Nothing was right about that game, our play or the field.”

Who have been the great influences of your career?

“There’s so many people you learn from. I think you learn as much from the people doing things wrong as you do from the people doing things right. You learn what not to do.

“But I would say I learned the most in a positive sense from Marv Levy, who was obviously a great coach and a great director of people. From Rod Rust, who was very, very different and a real people person. From Joe Galat, in his own way, who always tried to make football fun even though there was a seriousness to it. And from Dick Roach, who worked for Marv. He’s from a great football family.

“A lot of people influence you but those are the ones I remember most.”

You never got the opportunity to coach in the NFL. Does that bother you?

“People find you. You don’t have to find them. If they think you have value, they’ll find you. There’s no borders in this. To me, I have no regrets about that. Did I want to chase the dream? Obviously, at some point, you think about coaching in the best league in the world.

“But is that something that bothered me? No. Did I stress about it? No. Did I ever want to chase it? No. I wasn’t willing to put my family through that. The CFL has rewarded me and my family personally and financially. I have no regrets about this life at all.”

I’m told today’s athletes are different. You’ve been coaching for a quarter of a century — your thoughts on today’s athletes?

“Behaviour hasn’t changed. Expectations have changed. How you were brought up, how you brought up your kids, that’s all changed. What society deems as right and wrong has changed. Players, bless them, still want to win, still want to achieve, still hate running conditioning drills. But, today, you have to do it differently.

“The athletes, his expectations are different. They feel like they’re owed an explanation (for everything). You almost have to prove things to them. The whole trust element is totally different. When I started, if you were the coach, you were the trust person. Now you have to earn that trust and respect.”

On being liked and coaching athletes …

“They don’t have to like you. You have don’t have to like them. You’re not there to be liked. They’re not there to be liked. It’s all about production. What they can do for you, what you can do for them.”

Your first head coaching job, you took over the almost-bankrupt Calgary Stampeders, who were a financial disaster and on-field disaster. How did you make that work?

“I feel like we surrounded ourselves with good people. I feel like we changed the culture of the team. I believe God, in his own way, blessed me. Many times I asked, ‘Why me, why not someone else?’ But at the end of it, we never had any money, we were always in receivership, we always struggled to pay the players. It’s a tremendous credit to that football team and organization that we got through that. We weren’t sure we could pay the players. At times, we put money on our own credit cards, and I’m talking large sums of money so we could do things. It never got into the front office or the locker room. We just did it and kept hoping for the best.”

On the difficulty facing the three largest cities in the CFL, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal …

“Be careful how you portray this. The three biggest cities may be more cosmopolitan and way more international (than the rest of the CFL’s cities). We’re not just talking about finances, arts, diversification in population, sophistication. When you come downtown in Vancouver, you could be in Hong Kong or Paris or another international city. When you go to Montreal, you could be almost anywhere in Europe. Toronto, to me, feels like a major American city. The separation in the three markets are there and we, as a country, have become so global and the young people are global that I think it affects our game.

“When you look at TV numbers, people are still watching the game. Wherever I go — and I go a lot of places — I am very recognizable, people are talking football with me. But you don’t see that translated to the stands. There’s a lot of reasons for that.

“Say you’re in Vancouver and you live in Abbotsford or Langley or Surrey, and there’s a weeknight game. Are you going to go home after work, are you going to fight traffic, are you going to pay for parking that’s gouging for high prices, or are you going to sit down, have your dinner and watch the games on TV? I believe deep down … they’re what I call paci-fans. They’ll watch the game from home or a local bar. It used to be if you win, they will come. We have to give them more now.”

On being an innovator and changing the offences in CFL, which led to changes in the passing game in the NFL …

“The NFL gets way too much credit for opening up the offensive game. Who started that? Me, John Hufnagel and Jeff Tedford did. We didn’t have a good offensive line in Calgary. We came up with the five-pack and six-pack of receivers and getting the ball. We revolutionized the offensive game. When we did it, hardly anybody said anything about it. When they (the NFL) did it, they were being creative.

“Same thing with the goal posts. We move the goal posts back and nobody says a word about it. The NFL follows us and does it and they’re the great innovators. Our league, for whatever reason, just isn’t appreciated as much.

“I understand the NFL has the greatest players. We have some great athletes doing great things here. The NFL wouldn’t want Bear Woods or Solomon Elimimian and Adam Bighill. All great football players. For a lot of reasons, a lot of great football players don’t make the NFL…Unfortunately, it’s easy for the NFL to sell itself. It’s in American culture. High school football Friday. College football Saturday. NFL on Sunday.

“We don’t have that. They have money, we don’t. They have population, we don’t. They have technology, we don’t. But I like our game better. I always will.”

About his final game in Toronto Saturday afternoon against the Argos …

“It might not be my last game. It’s my last game of the regular season. But we might be the crossover team in the playoffs. And who knows? We might be playing them. I’m not thinking about this as my last game. I’m not retired yet. If I answer that question like it’s something final (for me), then I’m already retired.”

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post

This is pretty much the fan mentality in Winnipeg in a nutshell. I think patience wore pretty thin with O'Shea back in 2016 and I suspect he must have gotten pretty close to getting the axe back then, as rumours to that effect were flying around. However, he managed to string some wins together and had a very solid 2017 season that convinced most fans the team was heading in the right direction.

So while expectations were quite high heading into 2018, the team is now in the process of pooping the bed in an ugly way. The fanbase openly hates Matt Nichols in a way that I don't really remember seeing since the days of Sammy Garza. In some ways it's a little unfair, but he has become the whipping boy for the many deficiencies of the current Blue Bomber team. And the number of fans still loyal to Mike O'Shea is dwindling to almost negligible numbers.

From what I've seen in the past, it doesn't take long until fan anger turns into fan indifference. If the Bombers don't do something about this mess, the remaining games will be played in front of thousands of empty seats. Going to Bomber games is already a bit of a hassle for most people, and if the team stinks with little hope on the horizon, then there is simply no reason to go.

So I guess the bottom line here is that team management can keep buying whatever O'Shea is peddling as they continue getting pummeled on the field and at the box office. Or they can take action now and do something to turn this around.

Last edited by esquire; Sep 10, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:49 PM
arf

That game was hard to watch. Two teams that both deserved to lose. Thank you Lauthier for not missinng again and thanks to the defense.

Highlight of both weeks for me was Willie Pless signing mini footballs for fans. My kids love them.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 11:05 PM

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/09/12/new-er...outfitter-cfl/

I hope they don't mess with the Bombers unis which I think are the best in the league. Argos and Ti-Cats are pretty solid as well.

I hope they DO change the Stamps from looking like the RedBlacks and go back to the more traditional red and white.

Also hope they do something, anything to fix the absolutely horrendous Als set! (including their cartooney logo)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:38 AM
ハルウララ

The jerseys won't be altered for next season. 2020 at the earliest for different jersey designs.

New Era won't be touching the Als logo - that's a decision for the Als.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The jerseys won't be altered for next season. 2020 at the earliest for different jersey designs.

New Era won't be touching the Als logo - that's a decision for the Als.
Good point on the logo but would be nice if they recommended a change.

Wouldn't the jerseys/uniforms need to be altered somewhat in order to fit a different company's template?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post

I hope they don't mess with the Bombers unis which I think are the best in the league. Argos and Ti-Cats are pretty solid as well.

I hope they DO change the Stamps from looking like the RedBlacks and go back to the more traditional red and white.

Also hope they do something, anything to fix the absolutely horrendous Als set! (including their cartooney logo)
I have seen many positives and negatives for New Era as a sponsor and here is my 2 cents
I like the fact is a new hungry growing sponsor rather than say Nike (my guess is NE would pay more, just like Under Armour had to years ago)
Their hat game is the best and this can help with youth branding and get more CFL hats on kids and young adults
New Era sponsors the Bills stadium, so hopefully that adds to their credibility in the CFL especially S. Ontario
They are not a show manufacturer so player will have the freedom to choose and I think they will like that, many did not like being allowed to only wear Adidas shoes.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:

The Stamps uniform is a hot mess. The Flames uniforms are hot messes. Heck even the Dino's uniforms are hot messes. WTF Calgary?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The Stamps uniform is a hot mess. The Flames uniforms are hot messes. Heck even the Dino's uniforms are hot messes. WTF Calgary?
Someone needs to tell the Stamps two things as it relates to uniform design:

1. You guys are the red and white... Ottawa has the red black thing.

2. Less is quite often more.

That said, I hate the constant changing of uniforms just because suppliers change. There is something to be said for continuity... after all, it's not like the Habs go changing their look everytime the NHL switches Vietnamese sewing factories for their sweaters.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Someone needs to tell the Stamps two things as it relates to uniform design:

1. You guys are the red and white... Ottawa has the red black thing.

2. Less is quite often more.

That said, I hate the constant changing of uniforms just because suppliers change. There is something to be said for continuity... after all, it's not like the Habs go changing their look everytime the NHL switches Vietnamese sewing factories for their sweaters.
Nothing wrong with those Stamp uniforms at all.

I also really like these ones for the Roughriders.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

Kind of bordering on the irrelevant here, but a backup quarterback somewhere is frustrated over not getting more playing time

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...ck-controversy

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Wouldn't the jerseys/uniforms need to be altered somewhat in order to fit a different company's template?
New Era aren't bringing a new template yet. Just slapping their logo on the same jerseys next year - they'll be using the same jersey manufacturer as Adidas is using this season.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:16 PM

UBC’s Michael O’Connor looks to avoid the pressure of The Next Great Canadian QB
Gemma Karstens-Smith 3Down Staff September 13, 2018

The only quarterback in the CFL’s fall scouting report doesn’t want to talk about the possibility of getting drafted to play professional football.

For Michael O’Connor, discussing his future is a distraction from his current goal – leading the University of B.C. Thunderbirds to another national championship.

“I’m just focused on the season,” said the Ottawa native. “I don’t want to let my teammates down. I feel like if I were to think beyond this season, I would be letting them down.”

O’Connor knows there’s talk that he could get picked to play either in the CFL or even the NFL. He knows he was ranked 20th overall in the CFL’s fall scouting report. He knows how rare Canadian quarterbacks are.

He just isn’t ready to think about what could happen when he’s done playing university football.

“I’m honest when I say I really haven’t thought about it,” said the 22-year-old. “I just want to be all-in with my team and try to do everything and try to get this team back to where we were a couple of years ago.”

O’Connor has already had a taste of national glory, getting to the Vanier Cup in 2015, his first year with the team.

Expectations for the T-Birds were low that year, said UBC’s head coach Blake Nill.

It was Nill’s first season with the team, too, and he’d previously racked up a series of lopsided victories over UBC during his nine years coaching at the University of Calgary. He came to Vancouver wanting to recruit big talent, but didn’t have high hopes for winning immediately.

“I was mentally prepared just to play young athletes and try to turn the culture around,” he said.

When the coach heard O’Connor was looking to transfer from Pennsylvania State University, Nill reached out. He didn’t think the star athlete would be interested in signing because of interest from U.S. schools, but he wanted to show that UBC was “going to go after the best.”

O’Connor visited the picturesque Vancouver campus on a February weekend where the temperature reached 20 C and found an opportunity to build something special.

“Everything was sort of starting fresh, so I thought it would be pretty neat to be part of that process and kind of change the culture here,” he said.

Despite low expectations, the T-Birds beat Montreal 26-23 to capture the national championship. O’Connor was named MVP after passing for 389 yards and a touchdown.

Since then, he’s continued to grow both as a player and as a leader, Nill said.

He’s also finished a degree at UBC’s competitive Sauder School of Business and the coach called O’Connor “a deep thinker, a very composed young man.”

In 2017, O’Connor threw for 2,308 yards with a 67.5 per cent pass completion rate and 14 touchdowns. And he’s started off 2018 strong, putting up 515 yards in UBC’s first two games.

During Friday night’s match in Calgary, the quarterback struggled to find an open receiver, but spotted a path to the endzone. O’Connor sprinted the 25 yards himself, scoring B.C.’s only touchdown of the night. The T-Birds lost 57-7.

Now in his fourth year with UBC, O’Connor is eligible to play into 2019, but Nill isn’t expecting him to.

“We’re preparing for life without Mike O’Connor right now,” the coach said. “Of course, if we got him back, that would be incredible.”

He thinks O’Connor will be drafted into the pros, but whether he goes to an NFL or CFL team remains unclear.

Playing in Canada would come with unique pressures, given the relative rarity of Canadian quarterbacks, Nill said.

“I believe it’s something the CFL needs to increase fan interest,” he said. “And I think the league in general is looking at a few guys, and especially Mike O’Connor, as an opportunity. And they’re going to do everything they can to secure his services for the good of the entire league.”

The young man can “for sure” handle the pressure, he added.

Being a role model for young athletes is a position O’Connor said he would welcome.

“I’d love to be a hope for other Canadian quarterbacks that are in high school right now or even younger, to show them that it’s possible for them to play at the next level, too. That it’s not just for the other position groups,” he said.

Right now, though, his focus is on the rest of his U Sports career, including the T-Birds’ matchup against the University of Regina Rams on Friday.

“In a sense, I just see myself as a quarterback like any other quarterback,” he said. “And I think that my play will speak for itself. If I’m good enough, I’ll play at the next level and if not, I won’t.”

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:41 PM

A few years ago I spoke with a big time university guy (now a retired professor) who tried out for Montreal and Ottawa in the early 70s. He told me about three guys he knew, liked and admired: Ottawa offensive lineman Bob McKeown (CBC/NBC/CBS/CBC Fifth Estate), the infamous Jim "King" Corcoran (if you don't know him you gotta read the Washington Post obit) and quite likely the greatest player to ever play Canadian university football, the previously forgotten (until now) legend, Paul Brule. (elly)

HOF Profile: A ring designed for the Hall, now one for Brule
September 14, 2018

Every entrant into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame has done something unique, but no one will enter the hall the way that Paul Brule will.

“I go back in my mind through one of my jobs,” the former St. Francis Xavier star running back said.

“I worked with the Hall of Fame committee to design the current rings. I was working for Jostens at the time. They make championship rings and the Hall of Fame contacted me and said, ‘Paul, we’d like to create these rings. Can you help us?’

“Lo and behold I end up at the head table and end up presenting one of those rings. I think back and say, ‘I never, ever dreamt or expected or thought I’d be going up there myself, receiving a ring and a jacket and being honoured. You talk about things coming full circle in your life. Holy cow. It is really incredible.”

Brule enters the Hall as an amateur player, having racked up unprecedented yardage with the X-Men from 1964 to 1967. In 1966, Brule became the first player in Canadian university history to crack the 1,000-yard rushing mark in a season. He set a single-season record with 20 rushing TDs and would go on to break that in 1967 with a 25-touchdown season.

He scored a USports record eight touchdowns (seven rushing, one punt return) in one game; a record that still stands today. He graduated after the 1967 season with 51 career touchdowns (49 rushing). Fifty-one years later that record stands across the country.

Hall of Fame coach Don Loney convinced Brule to leave home in Ottawa and move out east, where he was building a powerhouse football program. The X-Men went 133-31-2 under Loney between 1957 to 1973. In Brule’s time at X, the school won the Atlantic University Sport championship three out of his four years and won the second-ever Vanier Cup, beating Waterloo in 1967. Brule tells a great story about how the Toronto media called X the weak sisters of the east that didn’t belong in the game. “40-12 later and yeah,” he laughed, “we belonged.”

The school won seven out of eight AUS banners between 1960 and 1967.

“I was going to a university and a team that hadn’t lost a regular-season game in five years,” Brule said.

“It was loaded with great talent and good veterans and I really had to bide my time and learn the system. Believe me, it was a system. It took me two years before I became a starter.”

In his first two years with the program he saw the field on special teams and played backup running back. He didn’t get the starting job until the player in front of him had graduated. The learning process began from the second he joined the team, though. He saw how the town of Antigonish, N.S. embraced the team and the type of environment Loney had built.

“It was so professional, really. I say this to the dismay of some CFL people, but going from St. FX and the way we were treated, we were treated like pros,” he said.

“Everything we did was on a pro level because Don Loney had been a professional football player himself and a very good one. Everything we did, we traveled in shirts and ties and blazers and dress pants. We bussed everywhere. We left campus in the morning and drove to Fredericton, N.B. which was eight hours. We looked like a pro team stepping off of a bus, every time, everywhere we went. There were no sweat suits and jeans, anything like that. It was first class.”

Brule established himself as a first-class talent and in 1968, his hometown Ottawa Rough Riders made him the second overall pick in the CFL draft, but ended up in Winnipeg that same year. Things changed for him when he got to the pro level. The fast, powerful athlete that ran through the opposition for a solid two years prior was moved to the other side of the ball.

“I always considered myself a running back. I get to the pros and all of a sudden they’re trying to convert me into a cornerback,” Brule said. “Out covering the fastest guys in the league.”

Brule successfully made the transition. Playing free safety, he was named a West Division all-star in 1970, pulling in nine interceptions. He also returned kicks and punts. He was with the Blue Bombers through the 1971 season and spent 1972 with Montreal before retiring.

Sport has played an integral role in his post-football days. He went from the Alouettes to doing marketing for the Olympic Committee in Montreal, leading up to the 1976 Games in a role that let him travel the world. Jobs with companies like Bauer took him to more Olympics. Working with Jostens had him dealing with college programs and professional leagues across North America.

Now, 46 years after he stepped away from football as a player, he’ll get the ring that he helped design, tying his personal achievements and his second professional life together.

“It’s been a fun ride. No complaints,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 3:44 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Hey, elly. Just a quick reminder that you only post portions of the article. Posting all of the article is copyright infringement.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:24 AM
arf

This might be the worst offense in CFL history. If they win this game Collaros better be buying the special teams players something nice.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:53 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
This might be the worst offense in CFL history. If they win this game Collaros better be buying the special teams players something nice.
The offensive co-ordinator should cover it. Getting really tired of running play after running play. There's been some decent throws when there's actually a passing play. Basically the same as the first game against Calgary, we just didn't spot Ottawa a 24 point lead.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 4:12 AM
arf

Collaros has been atrocious. 7-19 for 120ish and an interception. This is a 30-3 game of you only count our offense. I believe the radio play by play just called it "the most putrid offensive game."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada