HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:49 PM

^ Good news, Rico was referring to it in the past tense which made me assume it was gone. It's a beauty, nice to hear it's being renovated.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It never came down, thankfully. It seems to have about as many lives as a cat.

But it's sat abandoned for many years. Though there are finally concrete plans to do something with it. (Work may even have started - I haven't been in that part of Montreal for a while.)
It's fully restored and occupied by high tech companies, anchored by Montreal’s technology darling, Lightspeed.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 4:33 PM

Can't forget the last grand hotel built for Canadian pacific, the Chateau Whistler.

[IMG]Fairmont-Chateau-Whistler courtesy cooperativeski.co.uk by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Image credit: co-operativeski.co.uk

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 7:43 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Can't forget the last grand hotel built for Canadian pacific, the Chateau Whistler.

[IMG]Fairmont-Chateau-Whistler courtesy cooperativeski.co.uk by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Image credit: co-operativeski.co.uk
Never knew this one existed. When was it built?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 8:25 PM
Look at me!

I`ve always found it strange that while the railway companies, all of which were Headquartered in Montreal, were building palatial hotels across the country, they seemed to have forgotten about building one here. In fact it wasn`t until 1958 that Montreal would get it`s first railway hotel to match the scale of the Royal York, the Laurier or the Vancouver.

The Queen Elizabeth Hotel was the last true railway hotel built. Built by CN right on top of it`s central station, the Queen E was by far the most modern hotel built in Canada at that point. With 1200 rooms and suites, AC, huge convention floors and a direct access to the train station underground, the Queen E`s sober exterior hides a very elegant and fine-tuned tourism and high-society machine within.

It has been renovated 2 years ago and is now once again worthy of it`s 5 star designation. The guest list at this place is crazy, and is today the home away from home of the PM and his staff, any given Quebec Premier, and a nauseatingly long list of heads of states and celebrities.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/1O-L...ehotel.0.0.jpg

https://cdn-image.travelandleisure.c...?itok=ORXAD3ZV

https://ingeniumcanada.org/sites/def...?itok=M5qn5wWZ

Under construction the late 50`s

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Oct 7, 2018 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 8:29 PM

I love the Queen Elizabeth.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I`ve always found it strange that while the railway companies, all of which were Headquartered in Montreal, were building palatial hotels across the country, they seemed to have forgotten about building one here. In fact it wasn`t until 1958 that Montreal would get it`s first railway hotel to match the scale of the Royal York, the Laurier or the Vancouver.

]
CP built Place Viger in the 1890s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_Viger

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Never knew this one existed. When was it built?
Chateau Whistler was built in 1989.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 11:49 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post

Dude, I wrote about the Viger just a few post back...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Dude, I wrote about the Viger just a few post back...
Ok, I didn't notice the post.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post

Viger was small potatoes compared to the massive, grand hotels in other cities. I think Rico was just pointing to Queen E. as the first large scale luxury railway hotel in Montreal.

It truly marked the start of a transformationnel era for Montreal with the re-positioning of the downtown financial district.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:51 PM

L'Hotel was a CN Hotel at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. When CP took over the CN properties.....it became a Crowne Plaza and now the Intercontinental.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:39 PM
Look at me!

What could have been. The Windsor hotel's third expansion before the financial crash put an end to it. It would have brought the hotel to over 1000 rooms and suites and an approximate height of 120 with the spire. Good enough for Montreal's third tallest at the time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:47 PM
Look at me!

Though not commonly considered a "railway hotel", Canadian pacific`s Chateau Champlain was the last railway hotel built in Montreal, and the only railway hotel built and operated by CP since the closure of Viger in 1935.

It was finished in 1967 in time for Expo, across the street from CP`s HQ and Windsor Station. It was the first highrise by a local francophone architect, Roger d`Astous, a disciple of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Affectionaly called the "cheesegrater", the CC was then Canada`s tallest hotel at 139m and 40 floors. It was the 4th tallest building in Montreal upon its completion and the 6th tallest in Canada.

CP sold the hotel to Marriott in 1995.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=st...a2Pz5Rc-KWPmM:

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Oct 17, 2018 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:20 AM

Cool to see the metro construction site right next to it in the 4th photograph.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:04 PM

^ I love the Chateau Champlain, it's a great example of the bold design that Montreal became known for in the 60s and 70s.

I only ever stayed there once, but I definitely enjoyed geeking out over the hotel's architecture up close.

In the later years, CP did get involved in some less conventional railway hotels. They had a chain of motels in western cities called Red Oak Inns... I believe one survives in Brandon, MB to this day under a different name.

Also, they were involved in the development and operation of the Northstar Inn in Winnipeg (now the Radisson). CP was involved in a similar highrise project with the Chateau Lacombe in Edmonton.

Former Northstar Inn, Winnipeg

Chateau Lacombe, Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I love the Chateau Champlain, it's a great example of the bold design that Montreal became known for in the 60s and 70s.
It seems like one of those buildings with a forward-thinking design that moved "downmarket" and therefore didn't age gracefully. Those are apparently precast concrete panels, which would have been novel as a cladding material back in the 1960's. Today the novelty's worn off, and exposed precast is used on cheaper highrises. This building always looked like a bit of a cheapo Lego building to me. I don't feel the same way about, say, the CIBC tower.

It's the same with some early modern buildings from 1910 or so that were built with exposed concrete (cast in place with forms). 100 years later people most people consider them less attractive than wedding cake type masonry work that, at the time, was much more conventional, and today is less interesting in terms of the history of architecture.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:37 PM

An old picture, circa 1982, showing the new hotel standing next to the old hotel, shortly before demolition.

No question which of the two looks better.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's an amazing comparison shot. I had no idea that there had been a previous hotel right next to the Hotel Newfoundland. I was in St. John's in the fall of 1983. I just missed it......

It's a shame it's gone.......

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It seems like one of those buildings with a forward-thinking design that moved "downmarket" and therefore didn't age gracefully. Those are apparently precast concrete panels, which would have been novel as a cladding material back in the 1960's. Today the novelty's worn off, and exposed precast is used on cheaper highrises. This building always looked like a bit of a cheapo Lego building to me. I don't feel the same way about, say, the CIBC tower.
No question that the Chateau is not in the same league as CIBC which is one of the best towers in Canada. But I think it's far from being a cheapo Lego building.

There's no question that it's a product of its time, but at the same time it has aged fairly well. The panels don't look tired or worn out, and certainly the hotel still caters to the same high-ish end business clientele that it always did. The design looks original and fresh, as it did in the 1960s.

To my mind a cheapo building is one where design is a total afterthought. Something like this, an income stream on a spreadsheet with some green cladding on top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada