HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 1:21 AM

"building in the round" haha it should be in Beaverton's round

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:38 AM

Yea, I'm amazed at the small windows. There is going to be SO much brick on this thing with only the little narrow windows to break it up every now and then. If the above grade parking (?!) is "naturally ventilated" does that mean that it will be open to the street (ie. like a smart park garage)?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 8:24 AM

brick vs aluminum supply chain energy requirements

I tried to find information on supply chain energy requirements for brick and aluminum. I did not yield any useful information after a minimal search.

I believe that Alcoa shutdown the aluminum plant in Ferndale, Wa; paid the employees their salaries or wages and sold the electricity for a profit during the deregulation fiasco of the 2000-2001 time frame. The descriptions of the building mention an attempt at a LEED silver rating.

Do LEED ratings factor in a generic calculation of energy required for the building materials? Maybe spreading the energy cost over a standard period of time such as 10 years and the estimated lifetime of the building including maintenance.

After a second and third contemplation, maybe I shouldn't ask this question as corrugated aluminum might have a lower energy cost per year over its lifetime. Yiikes

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:37 AM

Residential roulette: Unico bets on Pearl apartments
Portland Business Journal - by Melody Finnemore Contributing writer

When Unico Properties began sketching out plans for a mixed-use project in the Pearl District three years ago, the Seattle real estate investment firm got more than a few raised eyebrows when it decided to include rental apartments rather than condos for sale.

The decision turned out to be serendipitous. The rental housing market continues to hold steady while condo sales struggle amidst a nationwide housing downturn. When The Lovejoy is completed in December, its 231 residential units will be among the few rental properties available in the Pearl.

"When we started this project and said we were going to do rental apartments, people told us we were nuts," said Brian Pearce, general manager of Unico's Portland office. "It wasn't because of any crystal ball we looked into -- it was just Unico's preference to have a long-term holding and steady cash flow. As the condo market has gone through a meltdown, apartment rentals have gone through the roof. That's been great for us."

Bordered by Northwest 12th and 14th avenues and Lovejoy and Marshall streets, the $130 million project spans two blocks. Block One, between 13th and 14th avenues, will consist of a nine-story structure designed by Portland's LRS Architects. The building will feature a two-story Safeway on the ground floor, multiple levels of parking and three stories -- 82,000 square feet -- of Class A office space.

Pearce said office space is expected to lease for $27 per square foot. Law firm Ater Wynne LLP has signed on as the anchor tenant, and Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute also will move into the building. Amenities include a seventh-floor garden terrace, bike parking, showers on every level, and the nearby Portland Streetcar line.

Block Two, designed by GGLO of Seattle, will house 16 levels of retail space and apartments. Its 20,000 square feet of retail space will include accommodations for restaurants in the northwest and southeast corners. Apartments will range in size from 600-square-foot studios to 1,100-square-foot, two-bedroom apartments to larger penthouses. Unico is still determining its rental rates, but the average is about $2.30 per square foot, according to Greg Van Patten, Unico's manager of multifamily investments.

Both blocks are designed for LEED Silver certification under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system. A 20,000-square-foot ecoroof and landscaped terrace will incorporate water-efficient landscaping to reduce runoff and better manage stormwater. The roof also serves as a natural insulator and air filter, and tall windows allow natural daylight. General contractor Andersen Construction Co. is recycling much of the construction debris and using locally manufactured materials when possible.

The Lovejoy has not come without its challenges.

"Certainly the mix of uses on Block One presented some design challenges, but also our decision to incorporate above-ground parking raised some issues because the city does not look favorably on above-ground parking," Pearce said. "The city's desire to have the parking below ground and our desire to have it above ground for ventilation caused some problems. In fact, that was probably our biggest challenge."

The resolution came about in the form of a high-tech polycarbonate material that looks like frosted glass and allows light to pass through the parking levels on Block One. Louvers enable the air to flow through and ventilate the 360-stall parking area. Block Two incorporated a horizontal band element that looks like a façade treatment and also allows airflow, Pearce said.

Van Patten said Safeway's inclusion altered the design plans because a more visible, open space is necessary to draw customers. That eliminated the possibility of a traditional core, reduced the number of shear walls and pushed the remaining shear walls out to the perimeter. In addition, retail stores tend to incorporate as few columns as possible, which led to the use of pre-cast concrete sections in addition to traditional cast-in-place sections, he said.

"We had a lot of engineers on this job and it took a great deal of coordination to bring those pieces together," Van Patten said.

And a great deal of pile-driving. Specifically, 840 pilings support the two buildings and each piling is an average of 65 feet deep. It took 650,000 blows and five months to install them all.

By early this month Block One's precast structure was in place through the building's seventh-floor deck, and the eighth floor was under way as well as Safeway's tenant improvement work. On Block Two, the structure's floors and roof deck were in place. Exterior walls and build-out of unit interiors were progressing throughout the tower, Van Patten said.

Both buildings will be ready for occupancy in December, and Safeway will open by the end of the year. Pearce said the area's office vacancy rate of less than 5 percent bodes well for The Lovejoy's creative space, which already is 50 percent pre-leased.

"Our office space is going to come online at the perfect time. It's turned out to be exactly the right size of mix and uses," he said.

portland@bizjournals.com | 503-274-8733
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 1:45 AM

Fugjoy Update 04-13-08:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:14 AM

Fugjoy Update 4-19-08:

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Residential roulette: Unico bets on Pearl apartments
Portland Business Journal - by Melody Finnemore Contributing writer

"The city's desire to have the parking below ground and our desire to have it above ground for ventilation caused some problems. In fact, that was probably our biggest challenge."

The resolution came about in the form of a high-tech polycarbonate material that looks like frosted glass and allows light to pass through the parking levels on Block One. Louvers enable the air to flow through and ventilate the 360-stall parking area. Block Two incorporated a horizontal band element that looks like a façade treatment and also allows airflow, Pearce said.

portland@bizjournals.com | 503-274-8733
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable
They make it sound as if underground parking can't be ventilated. The developer should be more clear - "... and our desire to have it (the parking) above ground for providing the cheapest ventilation possible caused some problems". What a waste of FAR..

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:43 PM

Above grade parking does seem like a waste of FAR and deadens the streetscape.

That said, it seems like it's something we may see more of for awhile. Given the steady increases in construction costs seems like quite a few recent and proposed projects have above grade parking....the two new projects on Lovejoy, Machine Works, Encore has some parking above grade along the tracks, Block 17 is proposed with above grade parking, Waterfront Place has above grade parking....and so on.

I would like to see Bonus Incentives for below grade parking like the West End has expanded to other areas to help push developers to get it underground. This was discussed in the North Pearl Plan and it wasn't something that neighbors or City Planners thought was important.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:48 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2m2 View Post
Above grade parking does seem like a waste of FAR and deadens the streetscape.

That said, it seems like it's something we may see more of for awhile. Given the steady increases in construction costs seems like quite a few recent and proposed projects have above grade parking....
According to the architects for Cyan, each underground parking spot penciled in at $55,000. The answer really is going to be less parking to make projects more affordable.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 7:57 PM

I agree that less parking is the best answer. Most developers I've talked to aren't quite ready to build less although I think buyers would be open to less - especially in urban areas with the street car and walkable services.

Building one parking space per bedroom just doesn't make sense. I think the new Central City plan update might start to limit parking which would be a great idea.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

One thing that some people do is if they want a car, but don't use it often, or don't have available parking when they live in downtown, is to store it at a friend's house who lives in one of the neighborhoods. I actually know a few people who do that...

It might become more common, albeit not the most convenient, could save a lot of money.

Or they could use automated parking systems, which can cram in a lot more cars per area in a building.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 9:26 PM

I think it would also work if they disconnected the parking spaces from the condos when selling the condos. (i.e., this condo costs $300k, $350k if you want a parking space). Then the extra price of building underground wouldn't affect the building's affordability for residents, and developers could make their money back.

I'm sure any extra spaces could be filled by rich residents with two cars or nearby businesses who want to give employees a few parking spaces.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
One thing that some people do is if they want a car, but don't use it often, or don't have available parking when they live in downtown, is to store it at a friend's house who lives in one of the neighborhoods.
Or use Zipcar (formerly Flexcar). I have been using it for over a year and do not own a car.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutrageousJ View Post
I'm sure any extra spaces could be filled by rich residents with two cars or nearby businesses who want to give employees a few parking spaces.
You need 25,000 sf of non-residential use in a development to legally sell residential parking for commercial purposes. Another great candidate for the chopping block in the central city plan.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2m2 View Post
I agree that less parking is the best answer. Most developers I've talked to aren't quite ready to build less although I think buyers would be open to less - especially in urban areas with the street car and walkable services.
I think this depends greatly on the price point. People with half a million bucks to spend on a condo are going to want a garage space, even if they don't use their car on a daily basis. There are several condo projects in recent years that have tried to get by without providing parking spaces (The Mosaic, North Park Lofts, and H45 come to mind), and they all seemed to have trouble selling.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 2:36 AM

FUGJOY Update

Fugjoy Update 4-26-08:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:38 AM

The, what appears to be, rather tiny windows on a lot of this project really throws me for a loop. It seems that with all we've learned, people aren't going to want to live in a luxury cave...I don't know. I for sure am going to tour the place as a 'prospective resident' once it opens, just out of curiosity.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 6:32 AM

Update 5-10-08:

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 5:50 AM

Update 5-19-08:

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 3:46 AM

Update 6-8-08:

And the aluminum siding is going all the way up to the top <sigh>:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland