HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Mosaic Potash Hill Centre Tower III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
They essentially did do nothing. Yes, it's a beautiful building that enhances the Regina skyline. But in all honesty, that's as far as it goes. If the Hills wanted to contribute to revitalizing downtown, they could have easily added street level retail, a real art gallery, and space for restaurant. Instead they opted to not follow the Regina Downtown plan and pay a $400,000 fine. It's just another office building that will be vacant after 6pm.

I hope the city does not approve a 4th tower on the city square, without incorporating aspects that will not only enhance the skyline, but will contribute to making downtown a great place to visit day or night. However, my fear is that the the mayor and council will just rubber stamp any plan that the Hills put forward.
Well while it isn't much they moved CWB out of one of their towers into Tower 3 and are now leasing that area as food retail and have another food/retail area for lease in Tower 3. Basically building the tower has allowed for two potential food/retail locations and they offered a part of their lobby for public viewing and they paid a 400k fine on top of this. All in addition to a couple hundred new jobs downtown and a new 18 story tower. Is it going to generate 1000 new visitors a week to downtown? No but when it is all said and done if they can get two busy restaurants into that location they will have contributed.

Before you start denouncing them, why not just ask yourself if the downtown is better with or without the project.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker58 View Post
Well while it isn't much they moved CWB out of one of their towers into Tower 3 and are now leasing that area as food retail and have another food/retail area for lease in Tower 3. Basically building the tower has allowed for two potential food/retail locations and they offered a part of their lobby for public viewing and they paid a 400k fine on top of this. All in addition to a couple hundred new jobs downtown and a new 18 story tower. Is it going to generate 1000 new visitors a week to downtown? No but when it is all said and done if they can get two busy restaurants into that location they will have contributed.

Before you start denouncing them, why not just ask yourself if the downtown is better with or without the project.
That's great news that the former CWB will be marketed as retail/restraunt space. Only time will tell what happens with it. As for the "restraunt" space in tower 3, it's only 1900 square feet, which doesn't really make it large enough for a full service eating establishment. From what I've heard, and this could be totally wrong, Subway is negotiating on a lease. Great for the daytime crowd, however not likely it will draw people downtown in the evenings.

Anyway my point is, there was a lot more a company like Harvard could have done to enhance downtown, and contribute to the Downtown Neighborhood Plan with tower 3. At the end of the day, their primary focus is making money. They did a cost benefit analysis and determined it's cheaper to pay a fine, rather than follow the guidelines outlined in the downtown plan.

Unfortunately, Harvard has now set a precedent for other developers that it's ok to ignore Regina's Downtown Neighborhood Plan and pay a fine. To me, that way of thinking is disappointing. Harvard has been such a integral part of this community and its history. I would much rather see them in a leadership role, promoting the downtown plan, rather than buying their way out of it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 8:45 PM
Hmm....

I do think it's a bit early to start complaining; as Baker mentioned, there is still time to see how things pan out (for example Flip can't be much more than 1900 sq ft if that), but I also see the point Regina Boi is making.

If we always settle with basically anything slightly improved is good enough, we fall into the same trap that plagued downtown Regina pre-development plan. The Timmies building (Health Canada as the office tenant?) is better than what was there before (an empty abandoned building), but with a front parking lot, a cement wall mural, and all stucco; can we really say is a good development. I'm not trying to say tower III is the same quality or anything (it's definitely heaps better), but just trying to say if we never look for even better ground-floor utilization, it'll eventually go back to where we were and after-hours street-front retail to liven-up the sidewalks won't happen, and we'd be back to the same old problem.

Tower IV though as it would be on the square should not be allowed to pay a fine to get out of street front. That one is probably the most important location to force it to be some sort of restaurant or coffee shop/patio or something.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I do think it's a bit early to start complaining; as Baker mentioned, there is still time to see how things pan out (for example Flip can't be much more than 1900 sq ft if that), but I also see the point Regina Boi is making.

If we always settle with basically anything slightly improved is good enough, we fall into the same trap that plagued downtown Regina pre-development plan. The Timmies building (Health Canada as the office tenant?) is better than what was there before (an empty abandoned building), but with a front parking lot, a cement wall mural, and all stucco; can we really say is a good development. I'm not trying to say tower III is the same quality or anything (it's definitely heaps better), but just trying to say if we never look for even better ground-floor utilization, it'll eventually go back to where we were and after-hours street-front retail to liven-up the sidewalks won't happen, and we'd be back to the same old problem.

Tower IV though as it would be on the square should not be allowed to pay a fine to get out of street front. That one is probably the most important location to force it to be some sort of restaurant or coffee shop/patio or something.
Personally, I also think that if a "4th tower" is constructed, it needs to be built elsewhere downtown. Esthetically, I think having four towers similar towers all in a row, will look somewhat awkward. Secondly, the two buildings that are currently in front of the square have great facades, which help give the square a welcoming, small-town feel. I think a building similar to the one they are constructing on Albert and 11th, would be a far better option for that location. I think they would have no problems filling the ground floor with retail, and have 2 or 3 levels of office space. In addition, because it wouldn't be considered "Class A" office space, square-footage would be more affordable. This would allow smaller businesses the opportunity to locate downtown.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 9:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Any updated pics? Maybe even a nice new skyline pic of Regina?!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:22 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Any updated pics? Maybe even a nice new skyline pic of Regina?!
Here's one I took early in November...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:53 PM

From the Journal of Commerce:

OFFICE BUILDINGS Proj: 9170636-1
Regina, Division No 6 SK CONTEMPLATED
Hill Centre, Towers 4, 5 & 6, 12th Ave and Hamilton St, S4P
$90,000,000 est
Note: Construction of tower three, report number 9126029 is nearing completion. Timeframes for these projects are undetermined based on tenant needs and the owner's decision to proceed.
Project: construction of three commercial office towers.
Scope: 3 structures
Development: New
Category: Commercial offices
Owner Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
This report Fri Jan 04, 2013.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:25 PM

3 NEW towers? Holy hell I never expected that.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:00 PM

Link please, Google is not working for me

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:11 PM

Either Paul or Rosanne Hill told reporters at the opening of Tower III that they eventually want a tower 4, 5, and 6 and I think Reed is basing this report on nothing more than that quote. "Contemplated" and nothing more at this time.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Link please, Google is not working for me
Here's the link.

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/cgi...egion=prairies

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:38 PM
ARTchitecture

New pics?! *wags tail in anticipation

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:51 PM

Are you a dog, Chadillaccc?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 11:00 PM
ARTchitecture

I have been called that

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan