HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 9:18 PM
seamus21514

I was on an express bus today, and we passed by the WTC, and about maybe 5-10 feet above street level across from 7 WTC wa what truly looked like a core, with green steel, and the one of the large cranes were moving a large steel beam, like the ones that were put into december. I dunno what this is.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...EEDOMTOWER.XML

NY-NJ agency seeks Freedom Tower equity investors

Jul 26, 2007

NEW YORK, July 26 (Reuters) - The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on Thursday said its financial adviser is seeking equity investors interested in buying a stake in the Freedom Tower, the centerpiece of the rebuilding site of the World Trade Center.

Selling all or part of the 1,776-foot (541 metre) skyscraper is not the only option.

The bi-state agency also wants partners that could help it raise capital for the $3 billion project, which might also rely on tax-free Liberty bonds, other project debt, and proceeds from insurance policies taken out on the World Trade Center.

The Port Authority on Thursday extended its contract with Jones Lang LaSalle, which will help it identify the "most advantageous structure to achieve the lowest cost of capital and highest risk adjusted return," according to board documents.

In February, the agency, which owns the 16-acre site in Lower Manhattan where the World Trade Center stood until the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, said real estate companies and hedge funds had expressed interest in buying the Freedom Tower.

The agency said six "leading" financial and real estate firms responded to its request for proposals to provide financial services for the project. It now is evaluating those responses.

Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman could not immediately identify the companies. He said it might take as long as six to 12 months to determine the best financing strategy for the Freedom Tower.

Port Authority Chairman, Anthony Coscia, after a board meeting, told reporters, LaSalle "will be looking at a whole variety of different mechanisms that we could use to finance in the most efficient manner the completion of construction of that project."

Asked if this could include bonds, he replied, "It would include all types of financing."

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
Bionic Boogie

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...esult=1&stid=8

More Possible Human Remains Found At WTC Site

July 26, 2007

Workers have found 65 potential human remains at the World Trade Center site over the last two days.

The medical examiners office says they were recovered from the Liberty Street section of the site.

The remains will be tested to see if they belong to 9/11 victims.

City officials announced earlier this month that the search for remains was expanding and will continue for the foreseeable future.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=72031

September 11th Rescue Dog Dies Of Cancer

July 26, 2007

A black Labrador named Jake who became a four-legged hero in the aftermath of September 11th was put to sleep Wednesday after a battle with cancer.

The pup from Utah helped rescue workers search through the rubble at the World Trade Center site and later worked in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina.

The 12-year-old was one of less than 200 federally-certified rescue dogs.

There have been reports from some rescue dog owners that their animals became sick from working at the Trade Center site.

Autopsy results on Jake's body will be part of a medical study of September 11th search-and-rescue dogs.
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:27 AM
BANNED

OMG!!

That's so sad. His name should be posted along the list of victims who died that day.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:49 PM

PA: Freedom Tower rising
By Marlene Naanes, amNewYork Staff Writer
MNaanes@am-ny.com

July 27, 2007
The steel skeleton of the tallest building to replace the Twin Towers in the skyline will begin to soar next year, the Port Authority said.

"Progress at the Freedom Tower is moving rapidly forward," said Steven Plate, the authority's capital program director.

About 43,000 tons of steel will be used for the skeleton in the $76 million portion of the project authorized by the authority's board Thursday.

So far, contractors have poured nearly 10,000 cubic yards of concrete for the building's foundation and erected the initial structural steel columns for the tower, which will rise 1,776 feet and be completed in 2010. Five towers will eventually rise at the new World Trade Center.

The board also approved a $46 million project to build supportive walls for the museum, memorial and original World Trade Center site slurry wall. The support structure will allow museum visitors to see the original wall, which keeps the Hudson River from seeping into the site.

The board also approved a $13 million project to install 3-foot concrete-filled steel posts around some LaGuardia and Newark Liberty airport terminals to prevent vehicles from crashing into or driving explosives inside the buildings.

The first posts will be constructed by the end of the year around LaGuardia's Marine Air Terminal and Newark's Terminal B.

The authority will eventually construct posts around all 16 of the agency's owned and leased terminals.

The attack on Glasgow airport earlier this year didn't prompt the project, said authority Executive Director Anthony Shorris, "but obviously Glasgow reminds the importance of moving this forward."

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 8:57 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
OK I have a question. It seams that the core of the buildings usually rises before the outer shell. It's been almost a year and the core has not begun to rise. Why??? In Chicago the cores rise really fast why not here?
Remember in NYC the core rises usually behind the steel, look at Goldman Sachs and One Bryant Park. This has been discussed on the BOA thread among others... Even if you look at the BOA forum's current pictures, you'll see the massive core about 5 floors behind the rest of the structure.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
PA: Freedom Tower rising
By Marlene Naanes, amNewYork Staff Writer
MNaanes@am-ny.com

July 27, 2007
The steel skeleton of the tallest building to replace the Twin Towers in the skyline will begin to soar next year, the Port Authority said.

"Progress at the Freedom Tower is moving rapidly forward," said Steven Plate, the authority's capital program director.

About 43,000 tons of steel will be used for the skeleton in the $76 million portion of the project authorized by the authority's board Thursday.

So far, contractors have poured nearly 10,000 cubic yards of concrete for the building's foundation and erected the initial structural steel columns for the tower, which will rise 1,776 feet and be completed in 2010. Five towers will eventually rise at the new World Trade Center.

The board also approved a $46 million project to build supportive walls for the museum, memorial and original World Trade Center site slurry wall. The support structure will allow museum visitors to see the original wall, which keeps the Hudson River from seeping into the site.

The board also approved a $13 million project to install 3-foot concrete-filled steel posts around some LaGuardia and Newark Liberty airport terminals to prevent vehicles from crashing into or driving explosives inside the buildings.

The first posts will be constructed by the end of the year around LaGuardia's Marine Air Terminal and Newark's Terminal B.

The authority will eventually construct posts around all 16 of the agency's owned and leased terminals.

The attack on Glasgow airport earlier this year didn't prompt the project, said authority Executive Director Anthony Shorris, "but obviously Glasgow reminds the importance of moving this forward."

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
well thats good to no

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Remember in NYC the core rises usually behind the steel, look at Goldman Sachs and One Bryant Park. This has been discussed on the BOA thread among others... Even if you look at the BOA forum's current pictures, you'll see the massive core about 5 floors behind the rest of the structure.
OK May I ask what is the BOA ? and Please post a link,so I can read them. Thanks
Lance

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
OK May I ask what is the BOA ? and Please post a link,so I can read them. Thanks
Lance
Click here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=44861&page=78

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 12:31 AM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Lance

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 12:54 AM

Thank you fleonzo I appreciate that link. And I see that the core to that building is 8 floors below the steel.
Lance

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 5:49 AM

ok, so, nobody may care, but i just watched world trade center, and all i can say is, God bless the Freedom Tower! hurry up and stand tall, please!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 2:31 PM
BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
ok, so, nobody may care, but i just watched world trade center, and all i can say is, God bless the Freedom Tower! hurry up and stand tall, please!

Aint THAT the truth!!!

This thing is going to be AWESOME!! When completed!

You'll be totally captivated, intrigued and just dazzled by this monster as you gaze upward to the top from the sides of the building in awe!!!

And it should be done well before the CS, given that it got started last year.

Last edited by Daquan13; Jul 29, 2007 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Aint THAT the truth!!!

You'll be totally captivated, intrigued and just dazzled by this monster as you gaze upward to the top from the sides of the building in awe!!!

And it should be done well before the CS, given that it got started last year.

Yes! And Bin Laden is going to be so pissed off and frustrated, that he can't keep this great country down, the son of a bitch won't know what to do! So take that, motherfucker!!!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:49 PM
let's work together

Exclamation

Allright. And now, please let's get back to the Freedom Tower or 1WTC or whatever you wanna call it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Sure is. You haven't even seen the best part - the material they will use to cover the wall right behind the entrance. It's crazy. It's highly reflective, yet it reflects everything as blurry-ish shapes in very bright and not true-to-life colors (ex. green things may be reflected as bright purple, etc). When we were doing material testing on a mockup about 6-12 inches tall last year, it gave me that Christmas feeling of cheer immediately, though it was mid-summer. I was in a good mood for the whole day afterwards, ib big part because I watched such a groovy display. It's trippy, and I can't wait till it takes up a massive lobby wall. And I'm not even talking about the spire lighting tests we did, which is a whole other story.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 8:47 PM
Bionic Boogie

Freedom Tower No More

courtesy of Myfreebird flickr

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-trade-center/

July 30, 2007, 11:24 am
It Seems That Freedom Is Just Another Name for 1 World Trade Center

By David W. Dunlap

The Freedom Tower column, painted white above, was the first to be set in place last December, but now is getting lost — perhaps like the name itself. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

Four years ago, Gov. George E. Pataki bestowed the name Freedom Tower on the tallest building planned for ground zero. Now, as the 1,776-foot high tower is finally taking form, is the name slowly fading from view?

In a news release last week, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey referred to the structure as “1 World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower.”
That seems to suggest that the more straightforward designation now gets top billing, to go along with 7 World Trade Center, which has already been rebuilt, and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 World Trade Center, which have been designed.

The “Freedom Tower” name has come in for its share of criticism and mockery. Christopher Hawthorne of Slate called the name inane and “bluntly jingoistic.” Curbed once quipped, “Freedom Tower, Now With 34% More Freedom!”

(The evolving design has drawn plenty of criticism too: Nicolai Ouroussoff, the architecture critic of The Times, said the fortress-like tower embodied “a world shaped by fear.” His predecessor, Herbert Muschamp, called it “a piece of bombast.”)
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSY WILLOW View Post
courtesy of Myfreebird flickr

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-trade-center/

July 30, 2007, 11:24 am
It Seems That Freedom Is Just Another Name for 1 World Trade Center

By David W. Dunlap

The Freedom Tower column, painted white above, was the first to be set in place last December, but now is getting lost — perhaps like the name itself. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

Four years ago, Gov. George E. Pataki bestowed the name Freedom Tower on the tallest building planned for ground zero. Now, as the 1,776-foot high tower is finally taking form, is the name slowly fading from view?

In a news release last week, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey referred to the structure as “1 World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower.”
That seems to suggest that the more straightforward designation now gets top billing, to go along with 7 World Trade Center, which has already been rebuilt, and Nos. 2, 3 and 4 World Trade Center, which have been designed.

The “Freedom Tower” name has come in for its share of criticism and mockery. Christopher Hawthorne of Slate called the name inane and “bluntly jingoistic.” Curbed once quipped, “Freedom Tower, Now With 34% More Freedom!”

(The evolving design has drawn plenty of criticism too: Nicolai Ouroussoff, the architecture critic of The Times, said the fortress-like tower embodied “a world shaped by fear.” His predecessor, Herbert Muschamp, called it “a piece of bombast.”)
I agree with all these sentiments. The building should pay more homage to the 19 brave warriors of Islam who martyred themselves on 9/11. "Freedom Tower" is an insulting and embarassing name, as is the 1776 ft height. I suggest a tower with a roof height of 570 feet, representing the birth of the Prophet Mohammed and a spire height of 1968 feet, representing the birth year of Mohamed Atta. The building should be oriented such that every September 11th a beam of light gleams along an axis running through the western mountain region of Pakistan to honor the great leader who made 1WTC possible. This, no doubt, will satisfy Islamic terrorists to the point where they may allow the tower to remain standing.

But wait. "One World Trade Center"? Isn't "One" really a boastful claim? Typical American hubris to claim the building is #1! I don't think there should be a building #1. Labelling should start at #2 and go down from there. Also, the idea of a "world trade center" smacks of capitalist imperialism. This title should be dropped. I suggest that the building simply be known by its street address. That would be much better - perhaps even 34% better.

But wait, the building will be close to the intersection of West St. and Liberty St. How embarrassing! In order to further insure the new construction does not inflame the Islamists and placates liberal New York reporters, West Street could be renamed Middle East Street, Liberty Street could be renamed Abu Ghaib St, lower Manhattan could be named Upper Mohammed, and Tribeca could be recast as TriMecca.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:28 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I agree with all these sentiments. The building should pay more homage to the 19 brave warriors of Islam who martyred themselves on 9/11. "Freedom Tower" is an insulting and embarassing name, as is the 1776 ft height. I suggest a tower with a roof height of 570 feet, representing the birth of the Prophet Mohammed and a spire height of 1968 feet, representing the birth year of Mohamed Atta. The building should be oriented such that every September 11th a beam of light gleams along an axis running through the western mountain region of Pakistan to honor the great leader who made 1WTC possible. This, no doubt, will satisfy Islamic terrorists to the point where they may allow the tower to remain standing.

But wait. "One World Trade Center"? Isn't "One" really a boastful claim? Typical American hubris to claim the building is #1! I don't think there should be a building #1. Labelling should start at #2 and go down from there. Also, the idea of a "world trade center" smacks of capitalist imperialism. This title should be dropped. I suggest that the building simply be known by its street address. That would be much better - perhaps even 34% better.

But wait, the building will be close to the intersection of West St. and Liberty St. How embarrassing! In order to further insure the new construction does not inflame the Islamists and placates liberal New York reporters, West Street could be renamed Middle East Street, Liberty Street could be renamed Abu Ghaib St, lower Manhattan could be named Upper Mohammed, and Tribeca could be recast as TriMecca.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKEN MIND!!!????? "Pay tribute and dedicate this building to those animals"???????

Did I read this right, or are you just a sick person??????????

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 10:36 PM
Bionic Boogie

I think he was being sarcastic...the NY Times critis i believe are muslims...

SSP member since 2003

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive