HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:34 AM
A long time gone

well this is a problem of the butt heads in Ottawa... In Winnipeg they seem to clean the roads out of snow very quickly. When it's snowing a lot they could leave those buses parked and take the old ones, also fewer people would go to work/school under a snow storm.

2 story buses would be even cooler! I loved them in London (but preferred the subway). Do you know we have 2-story trains in Italy for light-rail like routes??? They are nice too.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:36 AM
I am a typical

Yes, they got a heavy snowstorm. Articulated buses have difficulty keeping control in heavy snow, the rear end swings too much and drags the bus with it. That isn't a problem with conventional buses as they're one piece, not two. If snow isn't removed from the roads soon enough, there isn't much of a problem. Ottawa gets more snow than Edmonton or Winnipeg (In fact, more than both combined. About 50cm more than Thunder Bay, even) so that is a problem there. That isn't an annual event, but it can happen. As for double decker buses, Ottawa is currently testing them (I assume due to the Articulated bus fiasco) so they would be a viable option, and probably cheaper?

Sydney Australia has two level trains lines for suburban routes, and GO is also bi-level. (For anyone who doesn't know. )

And at least you aren't a hilly city. An articulated bus going down Red River Road in a snow storm would probably end up embedded in PACI.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:40 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yes, they got a heavy snowstorm. Articulated buses have difficulty keeping control in heavy snow, the rear end swings too much and drags the bus with it. That isn't a problem with conventional buses as they're one piece, not two. If snow isn't removed from the roads soon enough, there isn't much of a problem. Ottawa gets more snow than Edmonton or Winnipeg (In fact, more than both combined. About 50cm more than Thunder Bay, even) so that is a problem there. That isn't an annual event, but it can happen. As for double decker buses, Ottawa is currently testing them (I assume due to the Articulated bus fiasco) so they would be a viable option, and probably cheaper?

Sydney Australia has two level trains lines for suburban routes, and GO is also bi-level. (For anyone who doesn't know. )

And at least you aren't a hilly city. An articulated bus going down Red River Road in a snow storm would probably end up embedded in PACI.
good for Ottawa, at least they are testing and trying different things, they care for their people. The Winnipeg council+mayor are a bunch of idiots.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:03 AM
I am a typical

They're probably from Thunder Bay. We're your one stop shop for idiots, retards and dimwits.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

$2.25 Bus Fare
NOV 08 2007 03:00 PM

Cash fares for Winnipeg Transit could take a big jump January 1st.
A spokesperson in the Mayor's office says regular cash fare is set to jump by a quarter to 2-dollars and 25-cents. Seniors and reduced cash fares will also rise, but only by 10-cents. Kids under four will still ride for free. The cost of a monthly bus pass would remain the same to encourage more riders to use them.

Some of the money raised from the fare increase is to go to some type of rapid transit in the future. City councillors will vote on the fare hike at the November council meeting.

CJOB's Colleen Bready reporting.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 9:58 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:

Some of the money raised from the fare increase is to go to some type of rapid transit in the future.
Welcome to a "Made in Winnipeg" rapid transit solution.
"Hey !.... Yeah you in the back...you forgot your transfer !"
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 11:32 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Welcome to a "Made in Winnipeg" rapid transit solution.
"Hey !.... Yeah you in the back...you forgot your transfer !"
[IMG][/IMG]
LOL!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They're probably from Thunder Bay. We're your one stop shop for idiots, retards and dimwits.
Why is there a mindless Thunder Bay comment on every forum relating to Winnipeg? REALLY....No one gives a shit about Thunder Bay!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 3:11 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Why is there a mindless Thunder Bay comment on every forum relating to Winnipeg? REALLY....No one gives a shit about Thunder Bay!
Please... we gladly invite comments from Manitoba's second largest city.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 5:09 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Please... we gladly invite comments from Manitoba's second largest city.
Oh, Good Grief!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 2:46 PM
I am a typical

I'm very sorry for physically breaking into your home and forcing you to read my drivel. I promise it will never happen again.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Oh, Good Grief!
I'm not the first to suggest this falsehood... Its a referendum away...

Northwest Ontario is tired of being completely ignored by the tall foreheads in Toronto... while thousands of Manitobans not only realize they exsist, but many spend summer vactions there. You'd almost assume it is a part of Manitoba, considering the number of Pegers, and easy access to either Winnipeg paper.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:41 AM

It seems most don't seem to find ThunderBay comments intrusive in this forum.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Hell, I don't mind. Why the f*ck not? Of course one would argue that NW Ontario is better off with Ontario, but this issue has been talked about before, and is a whole other topic to talk about.

I'd like to see TB be part of Manitoba one day, then we would have 2 ports to deal with, one in Churchill, the other in Thunder Bay.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 2:38 PM
I am a typical

Imagine if Manitoba had a port to Europe, how prosperous it would have been. Winnipeg might have been a city of a million people by the 70s! (Or Thunder Bay and Winnipeg would both be as big as Saskatoon. Who knows?)

Anyway, this thread is about Winnipeg's potential for rapid transit. Let's get back on track.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:19 PM

37 new heated shelters for bus riders

Winnipeg Transit riders will be able to wait comfortably inside 37 new heated bus shelters this winter as the city begins to roll out some of the transit-system enhancements announced 18 months ago.

In February 2006, the city announced $143 million worth of improvements to Winnipeg Transit, including new conventional and diesel-electric hybrid buses, more dedicated bus lanes, new information kiosks, electronic arrival-time displays, upgraded bus stops at busy interchanges and new heated and unheated shelters.

This morning, transit director Dave Wardrop said 104 new shelters -- including 37 heated structures -- were completed this year as part of upgrades to bus stops along major routes such as Pembina Highway as well as downtown.

The city has spent approximately $7 million on transit improvements this year, aided in part of federal gas-tax revenue as well as provincial funding.

But the new articulated diesel-electric "bendy buses" won't be on the streets until one of the new hybrid vehicles undergoes a cold-weather test run this winter.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:20 PM

what's with the RED lanes? I see they tore up the concrete around confusion corner and re-paved them red. also along St. Annes and St. Mary's they've done that?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:59 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
37 new heated shelters for bus riders

Winnipeg Transit riders will be able to wait comfortably inside 37 new heated bus shelters this winter as the city begins to roll out some of the transit-system enhancements announced 18 months ago.

In February 2006, the city announced $143 million worth of improvements to Winnipeg Transit, including new conventional and diesel-electric hybrid buses, more dedicated bus lanes, new information kiosks, electronic arrival-time displays, upgraded bus stops at busy interchanges and new heated and unheated shelters.

This morning, transit director Dave Wardrop said 104 new shelters -- including 37 heated structures -- were completed this year as part of upgrades to bus stops along major routes such as Pembina Highway as well as downtown.

The city has spent approximately $7 million on transit improvements this year, aided in part of federal gas-tax revenue as well as provincial funding.

But the new articulated diesel-electric "bendy buses" won't be on the streets until one of the new hybrid vehicles undergoes a cold-weather test run this winter.
That's funny, they replaced most signs, say for example, around City/Concert Halls, and the shelters, yet I don't see any apparatus that has anything to do with giving out heat in those new shelters, at least around the City/Concert Hall bus stops as I observed today.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:25 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
So since Katz has taken the position of mayor.. he has annouced $143 million in new spending on transit. Obviously many of you slamming him on transit spending is very misplaced. I think the addition of heated shelters, especailly in the downtown area is a great addition. I also really like the idea of having electronic arrival-time display boards at some chosen stops. Overall Winnipeg Transit is getting a big upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 3:09 AM
I am a typical

"I think the addition of heated shelters, especailly in the downtown area is a great addition."

Yes, it's great news for the city's homeless population! A warm place to sleep AND transit service! BO-NUS!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan