HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:55 AM

British chef Gordon Ramsay may be opening a restaurant in Vancouver

Monday, April 28, 2008

British chef Gordon Ramsay says he may be opening a restaurant in Canada

Judy Creighton, THE CANADIAN PRESS

BURLINGTON, Ont. - Gordon Ramsay, the British chef known for his expletives and outbursts on his various television shows, says he is negotiating to open a restaurant in Toronto or Vancouver.

During an interview Sunday at an appearance promoting his cookbook "Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food," he said that "hopefully before I fly off Wednesday, I will get a chance to look at the property in Toronto, but it's not in a hotel."

Ramsay, 41, has opened a number of restaurants, many of which are in hotels around the world including Tokyo, New York, Ireland, Dubai and Paris. He has received nine Michelin stars for his culinary creations in three of the London restaurants.

The book signing in Burlington, a bedroom community west of Toronto, drew about 300 fans, including about 80 who arrived Saturday at noon outside the Indigo Bookstore to get in line to catch a glimpse of their favourite chef.

Punctual as befits his perfectionist personality, the six-foot-two Ramsay turned up dressed casually in blue jeans, a T-shirt and size 15 sneakers to meet a group of student chefs who had prepared appetizers for their idol.

"When you finish your training, contact me and I may be able to get you a job," he said to the four students.

Then for the reporter he launched into a mini-tirade about how parents who allow their children to become obese should be fined accordingly.

"It is going to be a matter of time before it is passed by governments where parents will be held responsible for overweight children," Ramsay said. "Parents must stop giving in to their children and stop feeding them crap."

He praised his colleague Jamie Oliver for trying to change what British children were being served for their school lunches.

"Jamie was brilliant by making every parent feel guilty about what their children are eating at school," he said.

On the subject of eating imported produce rather than consuming local, Ramsay said he "gets frustrated when I see chefs use asparagus 12 months a year."

"My motto is if it isn't in season, don't cook it."

He said one of his chefs made a strawberry cheesecake for last Valentine's dinner and "I flipped my lid and asked where they came from. I was told Lebanon and I was livid."

Ramsay admitted he is a perfectionist and "I want it right."

"So whether you are spending $25 a plate or $50 a plate you will get a meal that is absolutely perfect."

Infamous for his four-letter words when appearing on "Hell's Kitchen," and "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" on Food Network Canada, a new show "The F Word" will have its premiere this fall.

"My swearing is something I must cut back on," he said, "but it's an industry language."

"If you were at a hockey match and were eavesdropping on the conversations by the players on the ice you would be horrified."

He doubts that people watch his shows because he uses colourful language.

"Unfortunately, however, when you film for 10 hours you get edited to 45 minutes and it's constant f, f, f."

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 1:46 PM
testify

odd, this one doesn't mention vancouver at all... maybe he'll do both?

Quote:
Sizzling-hot chef Ramsay may open Canadian eatery

Mary Nersessian, CTV.ca News

TORONTO -- Celebrated British chef Gordon Ramsay, who is as famed for his expletive-laced vocabulary as for his lineup of Michelin stars, may soon be opening a restaurant in Toronto.

The bad boy chef, known never to mince words, is in Canada on a whirlwind tour to promote his cookbook "Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food."

While renowned in culinary circles, Ramsay makes it perfectly clear: Don't call him a celebrity chef.

"I hate that word," he pauses, before spitting it out, "Celebrity."

Instead, "I'm a real chef," he says with emphasis during an interview with CTV.ca.

Indeed, the 41-year-old chef has already opened several restaurants around the world, including Tokyo, New York, Ireland, Dubai and Paris.

And now, he is "heavily considering" marking his culinary stamp on Canada's largest city, he admitted, "especially if it's the right place."

Asked by CTV.ca if he was considering any properties in Toronto, he admitted there were two.

When pressed further about details, he said "I cannot say," but followed, "Trust me by September I will keep you posted, yes?"

Recruiting talent will be no problem, he assured.

"I have about two dozen Canadians working for me in London, so I am drawing on a pool of talent," he said.

Indeed, Ramsay spent seven-and-a-half months last year in the United States, he said.

"It's opened up a completely new market, which is exciting."

While Ramsay has said the property is unlikely to be a hotel, he raved about a certain view in Toronto.

"Toronto is going through that transition that England went through 10 years ago in terms of trying to rejuvenate and position itself," he said.

"It's a vibrant city, and architecture-wise it's amazing -- the condos and the buildings and what is happening, lakeside as well -- I don't know where you can get that view," he said.

Ramsay is as well known for his nine prestigious Michelin stars, the highest accolades of the restaurant world, as his foul language.

And he has won over a new legion of fans for his shows. "Hell's Kitchen" and "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares."

A new show, "The F Word," will premiere in Canada this fall.

As a famed chef, best-selling author, TV personality and father of four, his life is "excitingly busy," he conceded.

"I suppose when you are striving for perfection and you look to be busy and you get busy, you stay busy."

Ramsay admitted he thrives on jeopardy and vulnerability.

"I don't like it when things get slow," he said. It's no accident his latest book teaches how to maximize taste on minimal time.

"I live a bit of a manic, hectic lifestyle and I've got four children so it's important to have fun, remove intimidation and cook stuff that is zappy, quick and something that is not long-winded," he said.

Last edited by flight_from_kamakura; Apr 28, 2008 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 5:31 AM
Site 8 Lives

I am really hoping Ramsay sets up in Vancouver. It would shake up the local restaurant scene like nothing we've ever seen.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:07 PM

UGh. Vancouver has plenty of restaurants that are up to the Gordon Ramsey standard. Aside from Royal Hospital Road, none of his restaurants particularly impress me and his gastropubs are average at best

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 4:33 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Have to agree, it would be good for bragging rights but for quality food it wouldn't add anything to the city. It's not like he would be here making dishes, he's become a brand is just capitalizing on his success now. No one can blame him for that.

It would be no different then Trump building a skyscraper in Vancouver, good for bragging but doesn't really do anything for the city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:11 PM

i'm hearing the new Holt Renfrew restaurant is what he's looking at in vancouver

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining