HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It would be nice to have them back provided that someone else, other than taxpayers, pays for them.
Why can't the taxpayers through in a bit of $? Imagine having 20 or so additional millionaires living in the city....is that a bad thing? Yeah they might only live here for 8-9 months a year, but do you not think they'll buy up real estate, eat in restaurants and buy nice clothes? many of the Jets players lived in Tuxedo back in the day as that was one of the only "higher end" areas of the city. Some of these millionaires would buy places in Pritchard Farms or Lindenwoods or Wellington cres but the younger dudes with no families would probably be in the Exchange in 1/2 million dollar lofts. In the old days I went to a party at Igor Ulunof place at the Ashdown Warehouse, it was cool. He was renting it and barely spoke a word of english. Man those jets were mean to him (in a fun way). Man to my rant...bring them here, use a BIT of gov't money and these guys will return it 10-fold in reveneue from taxes.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 2:18 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Arizona folks claim Coyotes' demise all lies

By: Randy Turner | Winnipeg Free Prss - Jan. 21 - 2009

AN OPEN LETTER TO PHOENIX: First of all, congratulations on that Super Bowl business. And take good care of our boy, Steve Nash.

But we've got to set a few things straight for you Coyotes fans. We know that the local media there is doing the "Hear No Evil, See No Evil" thing lately when it's come to their NHL team. Not much in the papers about how the team could lose up to $45 million this year and has essentially given itself into hands of lenders.

Oh, there was a story recently in the Arizona Republic that began, "Some media types in Canada -- many who would probably like to see Original Six stay put and every other franchise move north of the border -- have been working themselves into a frenzy about the Coyotes. They seem convinced that the Coyotes are about to pull up stakes any day now."

The article was headlined, "Coyotes CEO chairman sets record straight" and quotes Coyotes boss Jeff Shumway saying, "Hockey will be a great sport in Phoenix and Glendale, probably way beyond my years."

While admitting that the Coyotes have suffered "significant financial losses, and that needs to be fixed," Shumway dismissed the "rumours" about the Coyotes not meeting payroll and being under league supervision. "A lot of this is coming from out of the state, out of the country," he said. "Rumours are rumours."

Anyway, we just wanted to set the record straight, too. By the way, is it Phoenixians? Phoenixites? Whatever, we just wanted to let you Arizona hockey fans know that whatever is happening to our... excuse me, your team has nothing to do with us in Winnipeg. We understand there are some Coyotes fans who think these media reports are some sort of conspiracy being dreamed up by bitter, twisted Jets fans.

"Those stupid Canadian journalists from podunk towns need to knock this crap off," said one thread posted with the handle, LetsGoCoyotes. "Winnipeg is NOT going to get another NHL franchise. Get over it."

Look, this stuff isn't even coming from Winnipeg. But you're right. There is somewhat of a conspiracy at play, but look no further than Toronto. That's where the leaks have been reported, and that's also -- coincidence? -- the home of a Leafs board of governors that writes a cheque of over $10 million every year to subsidize perennial money losers such as the Coyotes.

It's not about a bunch of shivering Jets mourners dredging up the past and pining for the NHL's return. There's some of that, of course, but let's just say we're much more realistic about the NHL in these parts than probably anywhere on the planet.

For the record, if the Coyotes were for sale, nobody in Winnipeg would buy them. That team is so mired in debt and a long-term arena lease that it would take a martini bar full of lawyers and accountants to sort out that mess. We're not sure if it's worth all that trouble to see Joakim Lindstrom take a regular shift.

Besides, we're not sure we could afford it, either. No, a team in Winnipeg probably wouldn't lose $45 million unless the ice was cut out of diamonds but there's no one around here that can write a blank cheque. That guy is named Jim Balsillie and he lives in Windsor, Ont., which is waaaaay east of here, just so you guys know.

Look, we know it hasn't been easy. I mean, you've had to pay to watch the Coyotes for, like, 12 years now. We feel your pain, dudes. That could have been us.

But, honest, we're not revelling in your misery. No, it doesn't exactly break our hearts -- after all, we didn't see any tears in Phoenix when Keith Tkachuk showed up -- but we're not dancing around our ice fishing holes, either.

Because it's not like you guys are stuck with the only sinking NHL ship. There's a whole armada out there now.

So, really, good luck with our... sorry again, that team. It's not your fault. You tried. It's just that nobody ever stopped to think that, "Hmmm. Maybe a hockey team in a desert might not be the greatest idea ever." Maybe not at first, but sometime after the $100-million loss mark. We're just sayin'.

Go Cardinals.

Randy Turner

Podunk, Canada

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:01 AM
visionary

nah nah nah nah hey hey goodbye
nah nah nah nah hey hey goodbye!!!
lol
adios phoenix

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:06 AM
surely you agree with me

a friend of mine is going to two habs games in the next couple of weeks...he bought one ticket in montreal against the bruins for $160.

he is then taking his family to florida where he will see the habs play in tampa bay...he got 4 tickets, 4 beers, 4 hot dogs and a free parking pass for $100 total.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
a friend of mine is going to two habs games in the next couple of weeks...he bought one ticket in montreal against the bruins for $160.

he is then taking his family to florida where he will see the habs play in tampa bay...he got 4 tickets, 4 beers, 4 hot dogs and a free parking pass for $100 total.
Oh but I hear Tampa Bay is not in financial trouble either....how could they be making a profit with prices like that? especially with the Habs in town. ughhh

I saw the Habs play in Tampa Bay back in 2000...loved it. bought a 300 level ticket with plans on moving down like the old Winnipeg Arena days, but nope...no moving aloud. oh well we still loved the game. go habs go!!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 4:27 PM

unbelievable

Report: Predators may buy own tickets to ensure NHL funds

TSN.ca Staff

1/22/2009 10:34:10 AM

On the heels of reports the Phoenix Coyotes lost out on revenue-sharing funds, the Nashville Predators are looking at boosting ticket sales with their own money.

According to the Tennessean, Predators officials have discussed the option of buying up unsold tickets to ensure they collect the maximum revenue-sharing from the league. Earlier this month, an ESPN.com report indicated the Coyotes forfeited 25% of their full share for failing to meet specific targets.

"We've consistently said that we're here to give everything we've got to make this work," Predators' lead owner David Freeman told the Tennessean.

For the Predators to qualify for a full share of their revenue-sharing monies from the league, average paid attendance in Nashville must reach the level of 14,000. After 22 home games, the team is 256 tickets short of that mark.

Last season, the Predators received their full share of revenue-sharing equalling $12 million, money that is crucial to the ongoing operations of the team. Falling short of just one target could mean forfeiting 25% of the full share.

"It's absolutely critical to us," Freeman told the Tennessean. "We're doing everything we can to grab as many dollars as we can so we can build the best hockey team we can build."

Currently, the Predators sit 14th in the Western Conference, eight points out of a playoff spot.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:55 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
unbelievable

TSN.ca Staff

1/22/2009 10:34:10 AM

On the heels of reports the Phoenix Coyotes lost out on revenue-sharing funds, the Nashville Predators are looking at boosting ticket sales with their own money.

According to the Tennessean, Predators officials have discussed the option of buying up unsold tickets to ensure they collect the maximum revenue-sharing from the league. Earlier this month, an ESPN.com report indicated the Coyotes forfeited 25% of their full share for failing to meet specific targets.

"We've consistently said that we're here to give everything we've got to make this work," Predators' lead owner David Freeman told the Tennessean.

For the Predators to qualify for a full share of their revenue-sharing monies from the league, average paid attendance in Nashville must reach the level of 14,000. After 22 home games, the team is 256 tickets short of that mark.

Last season, the Predators received their full share of revenue-sharing equalling $12 million, money that is crucial to the ongoing operations of the team. Falling short of just one target could mean forfeiting 25% of the full share.

"It's absolutely critical to us," Freeman told the Tennessean. "We're doing everything we can to grab as many dollars as we can so we can build the best hockey team we can build."

Currently, the Predators sit 14th in the Western Conference, eight points out of a playoff spot.
American desperation at it's finest

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:02 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
unbelievable

Is this even legal? Smells a bit like the good'ol trick backdating stick options.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:46 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

just got my annual Arizona State Visitors guide. of interest on page 43-45:

Quote:
Sports fans will find plenty of spectator events in downtown and throughout Phoenix. NBA's Phoenix Suns hold court at US Airways Center, as do the WNBA Phoenix Mercury and the AFL Arizona Rattlers; a few blocks away, MLB's Arizona Diamondbacks get the hits at Chase Field, an engineering marvel with its retractable roof. Watch the Milwaukee Brewers at Maryvale Baseball Park and the Oakland As at Phoenix Municipal Stadium, two of seven spring training facilities in Greater Phoenix
it mentions the NBA, WNBA, AFL, and MLB franchises that call the city home. along with two teams that are only there for MLB spring training.

i also got my Manitoba Vistitors Guide, top of Page 34:
Quote:
MANITOBA MOOSE HOCKEY
The Manitoba Moose is a member of the American Hockey League and the primary affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks. The Moose home games are downtown in the state-of-the-art MTS Centre.
wake up Bettman, hockey is a JOKE in these markets if the WNBA and AFL teams are making it in the tourism guides and the NHL isn't!!!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:28 PM

I would hate to play in one of those empty arenas down south.

On RDS the other night, when Montreal was playing in Atlanta, the commentators mentioned that when the crowd was making some noise, it was because of the trivia game being played on the jumbotron.. not the game, even though Atlanta was winning. I've never seen so many empty seats.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 6:29 AM
Capitalist

Bettman will be the featured guest during the second intermission of the NHL All-Star game on CBC. The failing US markets should come up ... and more than likely Winnipeg will come up as well.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 25, 2009 at 6:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 6:31 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
just got my annual Arizona State Visitors guide. of interest on page 43-45:

it mentions the NBA, WNBA, AFL, and MLB franchises that call the city home. along with two teams that are only there for MLB spring training.

wake up Bettman, hockey is a JOKE in these markets if the WNBA and AFL teams are making it in the tourism guides and the NHL isn't!!!
I am not surprised in the least. Hockey falls well below most sports down there .... including the ones you mentioned.
Honestly the NHL doesn't even register down there... highschool sports get more coverage than the NHL on most days.

Bowling gets higher TV ratings down there ... the NHL is little more than fading couriosity. If they dropped back down to the AHL most people down there wouldn't know the difference... and the team would remain at its lofty level in the local tourist guide.

... and don't think for a second that Bettman hasn't been completely aware of this fact for many years now.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:33 PM
Youth of a Nation

I think Bettman needs to read the Winnipeg Free Press and read that article ranking MTS Centre 19th in the WORLD! Only behind Toronto and Montreal in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The article was headlined, "Coyotes CEO chairman sets record straight" and quotes Coyotes boss Jeff Shumway saying, "Hockey will be a great sport in Phoenix and Glendale, probably way beyond my years."
That is a total hallucination on Shumway's part. Perhaps he has spent too much time in the Arizona desert? It doesn't take a university education to figure out an NHL franchise will never, ever be successful if there isn't a market for it. People aren't interested in hockey there, come on! Nothing they can do will ever create demand, even in 10,000 years. Why did Major League Baseball pull out of Montreal? If Bettman was running the MLB, the Expos would still be in Montreal, and the Big O would be Big Empty for every game.

Shumway sounds like a typical business suit type, who still has faith in a product long after everyone else has given up and gone home.

The NHL needs to simply shut down a few teams. Bring it back down to 16 teams, and move some others up north. But knowing Bettman, the NHL will expand yet again, and the next NHL franchises will pop up in Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Guadalajara, Monterrey, and of course, Distrito Federal. I'll still be cheering for the Leafs when they play the Bogota Volcanoes.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

actualy i would not be surprized if a team wound up in mexico city or Guadalajara theres some rity good up and comming talent in mexico...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:04 AM
Youth of a Nation

We will see if they talk to Bettman tonight in Montreal about the League and ask obvious questions.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if hes got a brainhe would move a team back here and one to mexico

.. what times this game at?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:20 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if hes got a brainhe would move a team back here and one to mexico

.. what times this game at?
On right now on CBC 1st intermission.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

doh ok goes and figures out the rabbit ears crap

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 12:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww wtf weres cbc?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan