HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:42 AM

When I first saw this rppc I thought it was a building from the recently discussed Pacific Southwest Exposition in Long Beach.

Angeles Abbey, Compton, Cal., # 107

The same building can be seen in this aerial of Compton in 1928.

& note the large onion dome (it isn't visible in the sepia photograph)

Looking north on Long Beach Boulevard, but I'm not sure what cross streets are visible.

I don't recall if we have seen this building on NLA. (I searched for past posts)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 4, 2017 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:54 AM

Angeles Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Looking north on Long Beach Boulevard, but I'm not sure what cross streets are visible.
__

google maps

Lindsay at IAMNOTASTALKER.com has a good post on Angeles Abbey with info about it's use as a filming location and a link to images of the interior:

ETA:

plan-it locations

1515 E Compton Blvd:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 4, 2017 at 4:56 AM. Reason: add images

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Maybe someone has more insight into what this object could be. Its a charmed mystery for sure.

http://www.dramainnature.com/_border...dellPoster.JPG
Having spent the last two years of high school working my old man's gas station in the 1970's, I can hazard a guess. The owner tied the bathroom key to a broken pump handle to keep ne'er do wells from walking off with the key.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:02 AM

I wished I lived during the time bread and pastries (and milk in glass bottles) were home delivered. Sparkletts just isn't the same.

Helms worship always depresses me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
I wished I lived during the time bread and pastries (and milk in glass bottles) were home delivered. Sparkletts just isn't the same.

Helms worship always depresses me.
It depresses me too, somewhat. I admit to being guilty of over-romanticizing the past, and I tend to be excessively nostalgic about certain early memories. In 1967 or so my first grade class was taken on a field trip to the Helms Bakery in Culver City. The only part of the tour I remember is how thrilled I was to be given a single tiny donut at the conclusion. My brother and sister and I were occasionally allowed to get a treat from the Helms truck when it came down our street. I also remember Sheriff John on TV exhorting me to urge my mother to buy Helms bread, and how unimpressed she was when I relayed the message.

Milk in glass bottles was a little before my time. Are you allowed to be nostalgic about something that took place before you were born?

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
In 1967 or so my first grade class was taken on a field trip to the Helms Bakery in Culver City. The only part of the tour I remember is how thrilled I was to be given a single tiny donut at the conclusion. My brother and sister and I were occasionally allowed to get a treat from the Helms truck when it came down our street. I also remember Sheriff John on TV exhorting me to urge my mother to buy Helms bread, and how unimpressed she was when I relayed the message.

Milk in glass bottles was a little before my time. Are you allowed to be nostalgic about something that took place before you were born?
The Helms truck used to stop at our house in the 1950s. I would run to see what he had in the huge drawers. I could see and smell the wonderful donuts. Sadly I can recall that my mom never bought any donuts, cakes or pastries....all she got was just a loaf of bread.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/389772542725836227/

Being nostalgic for something that was before your era does not seem to make sense to me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Are you allowed to be nostalgic about something that took place before you were born?
Jack Smith, the longtime LA Times columnist, used to say that there ought to be a word for the phenomenon of experiencing nostalgia for things one did not experience first-hand. It happens to me too, and I think it is fine, as long as one takes the feeling with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Dec 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM. Reason: I left a word out!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Jack Smith, the longtime LA Times columnist, used to say that there ought to be a word for the phenomenon of experiencing nostalgia for things one did not experience first-hand. It happens to me too, and I think it is fine, as long as one takes the feeling with a grain of salt.
The phrase might be....Déjà vu a la cryptomnesia. .....or maybe some other one.

://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 2:14 PM
BANNED

1937, Culver city aerial view...MGM Studio....now Sony. This is where I used to make late night deliveries of film cans
of new movies after a preview. It was kind of a chore actually but I was paid for car mileage and time....plus I was only 17 years old at the time.

http://www.sonypicturesmuseum.com/pu...lot-aerial.jpg

1950....work day at MGM, 5,000 employees, who made 50 films per year.

http://www.sonypicturesmuseum.com/pu...1-building.jpg

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 4, 2017 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Just for fun, here's an extremely beautiful fob from the Biltmore Hotel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-BILTMOR...gAAOSw0nJZcG9Z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-BILTMOR...gAAOSw0nJZcG9Z
When I was traveling in England and Europe in the 1980s, hotel desk staff were perpetually exasperated with Americans because of our custom of walking out of the hotel with our room key. The Hotel Colbert in Paris had a cure for that -- their key fob was in the shape of a miniature mace with a spiked head the size of a tennis ball.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
Having spent the last two years of high school working my old man's gas station in the 1970's, I can hazard a guess. The owner tied the bathroom key to a broken pump handle to keep ne'er do wells from walking off with the key.
Last time I had a sojourn over on Catalina, the very modest establishment I stayed at had a large piece of scrap metal chained to the room key, so the practice is still current.

(Don't look at me like that. The cheap places are the fun places on Catalina.)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:59 PM

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00077/00077319.jpg

Photo shows 4th Degree Members of the Knights of Columbus each wearing a plumed hat (or as they call it, a "chapeau.")

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Writer John Koenig suggests the word "anemoia" n. nostalgia for a time you’ve never known. from his Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe CBD, but a bathroom key disguised as a good luck charm? (& why the high number?)

I wonder where exactly this little lodge was located?

"Sycamore Lodge Club House San Gabriel Mountains, Photograph ARNOLD Pasadena"

EBAY

I see it says Sycamore 'Shade' Lodge.

interior

EBAY

This is what you call cozy.

the seller adds:

"This would be in Sycamore Canyon in the local San Gabriel Mountains just above Pasadena here in Los Angeles County
and the area was very popular with hunting lodge places and recreation hiking and camping with Mt Lowe and Mt Wilson
and so many other trails locations and such. These places came and went through the decades with some wiped out due to a fire
or flood or just being abandoned."

The photographer is identified on the front and back as A. E. Arnold 111 North Bonnie Avenue Pasadena Calif

_
I'm wondering where that was as well, I've been hiking up there recently, I did the Mt. Lowe summit hike Thanksgiving morning(incredible view, 100 mile visibility). I know most of the canyons up there and Sycamore Canyon doesn't ring a bell. There is one in the Santa Monicas(Mugu State Park) that my dad and I used to hike in when I was a teen.

Here's the view from Mt. Lowe:
_B230126_PTGui Panorama_small.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Anemoia ....anna-moy-ah.....

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 AM

[QUOTE=BillinGlendaleCA;8008326]I'm wondering where that was as well, I've been hiking up there recently, I did the Mt. Lowe summit hike Thanksgiving morning(incredible view, 100 mile visibility). I know most of the canyons up there and Sycamore Canyon doesn't ring a bell. There is one in the Santa Monicas(Mugu State Park) that my dad and I used to hike in when I was a teen.

I agree with you Bill, the only Sycamore Canyon I know of is in the San Rafaels; its name was changed to Chevy Chase in 1926.

From back in the day:

https://www.chevychaseestates.us/his...s-association/

That being said, ER's picture doesn't say "Sycamore Canyon".....so we remain in the dark (shade).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:00 AM

Thank you for the address of Angeles Abbey tovangar2 [1515 E. Compton Blvd] I really appreciate it.

This afternoon I found a 1920s photograph of the abbey.

ucla archive

but then I was like, WAIT...this building doesn't match.

for comparison / here's the photo from yesterday

original post HERE

It turns out, the building in the black and white photo is a separate mausoleum located behind the building shown in the sepia above.

Here's a pretty good view of it from Palmer Street.

gsv

The residents on the other side of Palmer Street were given a much less charitable view.

gsv

Those poor people in that little blue house.

If the abbey owners had left enough room, a nice row of trees or bushes would have been nice.
___

I'll end my post with this close-up of the dome. [taken from a drone]

video HERE

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 5, 2017 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:52 AM

Quote:

The residents on the other side of Palmer Street were given a much less charitable view.

gsv

__
Wow, what a great opportunity for some Boston ivy (which I love almost as much as a challenge...not that anyone asked me). There's enough space to fit it in:

google maps

Boston ivy grows extremely quickly:

pinterest

It changes color in the autumn and drops it's leaves (keeping the compost fed and happy), leaving a pretty tracery on the wall:

pinterest

Boston Ivy isn't dormant long in Southern California. It greens right up again, often starting before the previous year's leaves have all dropped.

There's a somewhat similar missed opportunity near me:

gsv westwood and olympic

Jeepers creepers.

Does Boston ivy have any drawbacks odinthor?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Wow, read through some of the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, GREAT stuff

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 7:15 AM

That photograph you took on your recent hike was amazing BillinGlendaleCA. Thanking for sharing it with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

I think it's a good possibility Sycamore Shade Lodge was located in this canyon ScottyB.

I didn't know this:

"Sycamore Canyon was a private game preserve for the wealthy Doheny family, and locked gates once barred entry to the canyon." link

Have we discussed this on NLA?

& imagine being rich enough to block off a whole canyon. (I think it sucks)

The game preserve is also mentioned in this second passage.

"It was originally named Canon de Sicomoro and was part of the original Verdugo Land Grant from the King of Spain.
In the early nineteen hundreds, the canyon was a private game preserve
for the Doheny family and the last bear shot was in 1906."

Surely there's a photograph somewhere (online) of the Doheny's hunting on their private game preserve. (if there is....I couldn't find it)

I'll end with this photograph of a young man posed on a Sycamore tree in the Verdugo Park area. (that's close to Sycamore Canyon, right?)

New York Public Library

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 6, 2017 at 7:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos