HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:34 PM
More transit please

REM work ongoing at Mont-Royal station:

My pic

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:21 PM
InsertCreativeTitleHere

One reason I could possibly see for HSR studies and other related studies is the most efficient use of land purchase, but there comes a point where the studies themselves become more expensive than the most simple land purchasing plan. Other things such as potential ridership, build cost per km of track, and others remain relatively constant, (though high grade steel needed for rails can fluctuate in price, leading to larger discrepancies in prices for larger orders) Ridership is easy to predict with current volume of the proposed HSR routes (Windsor-London-Kitchener-Toronto;Toronto-Kingston-Ottawa;Toronto-Kingston-Montreal & Montreal-Quebec City) and some more local routes which would originate from these high speed rail stations as connections.

So you could expect a small-medium jump in ridership in short term after construction, with a small sustained rise in ridership as people veer away from short range airlines to travel to these cities (Security, Waiting for flight, Getting to Airport, Etc.) We should also as a nation avoid what Amtrak did with Acela Express, which is notoriously slow ( I haven't ridden on it however many friends & acquaintances have, it's also very expensive (in short: NOT world class). While we shouldn't aim to make Canada's potential HSR "world class", we should make sure it's in general: fast, efficient, relatively cheap, and ON TIME. Luckily the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor has some really great straight sections of track ROW or adjacent land that can be made straight-ish, leading to less speed reductions for sharp curves in rail that would require to reduce speed.

One thing that I think might work is a partnership with one of our allies to help create a HSR line in Canada (France, Germany, Japan come to mind). I would prefer Japan, Both France and Germany aren't actively looking to export their TGV/HSR technology since it's mostly used as a nationalised enterprise (this has some upsides). Japan IS however looking to export its Shinkansen technology which it already has to Taiwan and IIRC South Korea, so they have experience exporting transport products abroad (The UP Express uses Japanese manufactured locomotives/trains). The Japanese also want in on the North American HSR market (primarily the USA), so having a deal with JR and VIA Rail (or the Canadian & Japanese Governments) could be a win-win situation, Japan get's to showcase their technology to the North American market, and Canada gets exceptional HSR. JR Also runs as a private rail company, that wouldn't sit well with Canadians, and really wouldn't work in Canada but it can help us maintain a HSR line/system profitably (to help fund government programs, or for service improvements, extensions) or for it to break even while having gov't subsidies to keep prices very low.

JR has offered to build the first 50km (or miles) of a Maglev Line Between Washington DC and New York City fully out of their pocket to export their product, and the American market for HSR can be very valuable to foreign (but allied) countries.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 PM
Electrical Engineer

First rail for the Valley Line has been laid: https://globalnews.ca/news/4380777/e...ed-mill-woods/

Imo pretty exciting to see so much new rail transit being built from coast to coast!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 4:08 PM
Living between provinces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
First rail for the Valley Line has been laid: https://globalnews.ca/news/4380777/e...ed-mill-woods/

Imo pretty exciting to see so much new rail transit being built from coast to coast!
Construction seems to be advancing quickly for that line.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:58 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Happy City St. John's (our civic engagement organization) did a study to determine which mode of transportation individual residents use more than half of the time. So here are the responses where one mode accounted for more than 50% of an individual's trips:

Even Downtown (mostly commercial core) and Centre City (generally the rowhouse areas like mine) have a lot of mainly drivers.

Keep in mind these numbers exclude anyone without a single transportation method exceeding 50%.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:48 PM

Confederation Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
from last night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
Looks like the installation of glass at Hurdman is approaching completion.

There are many more pictures at the following link: https://www.otrainfans.ca/blogs/snap...rdman-and-lees
From various Twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/_stevenli/status...00549747531776

https://twitter.com/Pika3323/status/1029744696833335296

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:31 PM
More transit please

Very exciting to see this one almost completed.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:49 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Not bad Ottawa. Not bad at all.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 6:40 PM
Electrical Engineer

So Montreal is getting some platform edge doors: https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...at-13-stations

I wonder if they will lead to more coming in across the country, I'd personally like to see it, systems that are outdoors could opt for gates rather than full height doors if necessary.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:14 PM
Living between provinces

Quote:
So Montreal is getting some platform edge doors: https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...at-13-stations

I wonder if they will lead to more coming in across the country, I'd personally like to see it, systems that are outdoors could opt for gates rather than full height doors if necessary.
It was a prerequisite for the blue line extension as per STM's requirements. REM will have full height doors for all stations, including indoors.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:33 PM

Areas with mixed fleets are harder to install for. As for full height versus lower, it comes down to a physics problem. In systems where there air being pushed or pulled forward by a train exits through the station, having barriers too high (if they aren't at least semi permeable to air) can impact energy use and cause stress to the barriers themselves. Sealing off the platforms completely (if you want to heat or cool them) is even harder - you have to manage the air displaced by trains entirely without the benefit of the station volume.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:17 AM

Definitely at the very bottom of the list of things to spend money on, and impossible/pointless on all systems other than Van, Toronto and Montreal.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:53 AM
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Definitely at the very bottom of the list of things to spend money on, and impossible/pointless on all systems other than Van, Toronto and Montreal.
Calgary and Edmonton use standard rolling stock, iirc when Edmonton gets their stuff together they could do it as they are using CBTC.

Of course its not worth doing vs. extensions but its a nice item to spend on if the government wants something quick to infuse cash into

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 8:46 AM

Edmonton Valley Line Capacity Issues

For anyone based in Edmonton, is this article an accurate description of the capacity issues there? The price tag of over $2B for that level of capacity and little possibility for expansion seems really questionable. After having so many issues with the metro line, it seems Edmonton really needs to get this one right.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4095116/e...-lrt-capacity/

"Further scrutiny of the design specifications by Global News has revealed that once the first phase of the line is built in 2020, there may not be a chance for the city to increase passenger capacity or train frequency along the busy corridor. The line will eventually run to Lewis Farms in west Edmonton.

The train cars along the Valley Line extension will be 42 metres long, with the capacity to hold about 275 passengers. Due to the length of the cars compared to the length of a city block along the line, the Valley Line LRT trains will be limited to two cars per train, according to a city spokesperson. Adding an additional car to the train would block vehicle traffic.

The city is currently designing the Valley Line trains to run on a five-minute frequency, and any increase in train frequency could affect vehicle traffic, the spokesperson indicated.

To put this into perspective, this means the line will be able to transport a maximum of about 6,600 people over the course of an hour, based on a five-minute frequency.

By comparison, the current Capital Line is able to transport about 12,000 people – nearly twice as many people – per hour. This is because the 24-metre-long cars can accommodate about 200 people each, and the trains are able to carry up to five cars. Peak frequency on the Capital Line is also every five minutes.

Last week, a new city report revealed the cost of the Valley Line LRT jumped by about $440 million, from $1.8 billion to $2.24 billion. The increased price tag is due to design changes at a couple of key intersections, as well as a larger park-and-ride facility at Lewis Estates."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:

What a waste of ressources. Montreal's #1 priority when it comes to station retrofits should be installing elevators and making them accessible.

But yes, if they are going to have this, the barriers should be 2/3 if possible. If it's full height, the platforms will feel enclosed.

As for Edmonton, those capacity issues are pretty bad, and predictable. How's a 13 km surface line come to the pretty much the same price as Ottawa's 12.5 km fully grade separated line (with 2.5 km downtown tunnel, 3 new subway stations, elaborate surface stations)? Yes, it's 5 years later, but that doesn't account fr such an inflation. And what's with the Valley line's one short section with the nice elevated station, while everything else runs on the surface?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:42 PM

The Confederation Line is definitely the mass transit project of the decade in Canada IMO given the impact it will have on reshaping transit in Ottawa / adding another city to Canada's metro system list (from 3 to 4).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:00 PM
Insertoronto

I would argue that it's the best project so far in the 21st century in Canada - surpassing the Canada line.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:06 PM

The Evergreen Line was another well built project in Van, but obviously just being an addition to an existing network it doesn't have any where near the social / cultural impact that the Confederation Line will (also it doesn't run through the centre of a metro area).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:22 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I'm so proud of all the transportation projects going up in Canada, how many countries with our population have so many highly developed cities. Spain maybe, but not much else!

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I'm so proud of all the transportation projects going up in Canada, how many countries with our population have so many highly developed cities. Spain maybe, but not much else!
Australia (pop. 25 million)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada