HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:09 PM

Food for thought, the city has proposed moving the Farmers Market over to Downing Street or somewhere over there (at least in concept).

If that were to happen the city or private consortium could tear down the existing Farmer's Market and build a honking parking garage (aesthetically pleasing) where it used to be. That would solve a lot of the parking woes while still forcing people to park downtown and provide foot traffic to the downtown core.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:39 PM

I live in Salisbury. I work in Moncton and drive in every day. There is no other option for me. I could carpool, but I don't necessarily leave work at the same time every day, making that option not really viable.

I'm a big fan of public transit. I frequently use public transit when I am travelling, because it is convenient, cheap, and efficient. We don't really have that situation here in Moncton.

The point I am trying to make is that for a lot of people that would be attending events at the Centre, driving into the city is the only option. I personally wouldn't mind driving to a lot (like the Coliseum) and busing it downtown from there, but there has been no confirmation this will happen.

I don't expect to be able to park in front of the door, but I also don't want to walk a half hour to get there.

I (and MANY other people) want to go to events downtown. We want to go to the restaurants and bars before or after the events, contributing to the economy. If it's going to be a pain in the A$$ parking and finding a way back and forth to an event, lots of people are going to forego these extra stops.

When I lived in Hampton, I went to events at Harbour Station very frequently. I was a season ticket holder for the SJ Flames. Game night was a night out for my wife and I. We would frequently get food, etc Uptown before the games. Parking was never an issue, even with a bit of a walk. The difference is that SJ already had a good parking infrastructure and we didn't have to even think twice about it. Moncton needs to be this way as well.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I live in Salisbury. I work in Moncton and drive in every day. There is no other option for me. I could carpool, but I don't necessarily leave work at the same time every day, making that option not really viable.
You do realize you are an exception; and part of the reason why all private parking cannot be eliminated.

But like most cities, the vast majority of downtown workers likely do work within the public transit coverage area of the city. There is no reason why someone working 9-5 M-F in an office should be driving into the downtown, taking up a parking spot for 10 hours 260 days a year. Those are the people who need to be encouraged to take transit to cut back on the amount of private parking needed.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

You understand the problem very well Taeolas

Many people see all the surface parking downtown and assume parking in the core can't be an issue - there is after all literally an ocean of parking in the core.

The problem is that essentially all that blight of surface parking is virtually inaccessible for casual users because it is leased 24/7 to downtown office workers. They may work 9-5, but the parking space they have paid for is theirs on a full time 24/7/365 basis, thus "blocking" the space from anyone else using it. The result is that the ocean of surface parking in the core is a dead zone in the evenings and on the weekend.

The ocean of surface parking is ugly, dangerous (booters) and actually inhibits downtown development because it is a physiologic dead space inaccessible to potential customers of downtown businesses.

I can't see why anyone would be against replacing the surface parking with parking structures, and ensuring that these parking structures are designed to increase the intensity of use by making sure that casual customers can park their vehicles in the evenings while frequenting the events centre of other downtown businesses.

I support densification in the core, I applaud the potential for having more people living in the core, but to ignore the fact that most Monctonians are car dependent suburbanites is pure folly. A real parking strategy needs to be developed, and this strategy must include enclosed parking garages in the core, within an 8-10 minute walk of the events centre.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I can't see why anyone would be against replacing the surface parking with parking structures, and ensuring that these parking structures are designed to increase the intensity of use by making sure that casual customers can park their vehicles in the evenings while frequenting the events centre of other downtown businesses.
I don't think anyone is AGAINST it, just unsure as to who wants to take the plunge with a business case and build.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
You do realize you are an exception; and part of the reason why all private parking cannot be eliminated.

But like most cities, the vast majority of downtown workers likely do work within the public transit coverage area of the city. There is no reason why someone working 9-5 M-F in an office should be driving into the downtown, taking up a parking spot for 10 hours 260 days a year. Those are the people who need to be encouraged to take transit to cut back on the amount of private parking needed.
I see every morning the long lines of suv's with one driver heading downtown. So much for environmentalism but that's another topic. The only way it will change is a better transit system (trying to convince people to use our crappy one will not work) and/or make parking expensive. As oil heads for $100 bbl, maybe that might encourage car pooling or mass transit.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I don't think anyone is AGAINST it, just unsure as to who wants to take the plunge with a business case and build.
There's a reason why three of Fredericton's four downtown parking structures are owned by the city. The business case simply isn't there in smaller cities where parking costs a buck an hour. The municipality needs to lead the charge if they want things to change.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
There's a reason why three of Fredericton's four downtown parking structures are owned by the city. The business case simply isn't there in smaller cities where parking costs a buck an hour. The municipality needs to lead the charge if they want things to change.
LOL, compelling...

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:42 PM

Well, to be a bit more fair, in Fredericton MOST of the parking downtown is city owned/city controlled. There is only one major lot that is not publicly accessible (Regent and King, where the old bus station used to be), and a second smaller lot that will hopefully be sprouting a tower soon (TD Tower II lot on King and Westmoreland).

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:10 PM

We all, of course, realize that the City of Moncton wants nothing to do with parking of any kind. It wants to divest itself of all parking structures (well, I guess that would be the garage near the Capitol Theatre) if it hasn't already. They already sub out the managing of the parking meters. It goes on and on. Therefore, This city will never (at least under this council) get involved in building or managing any parking structures. And for a private enterprise to do this would take an excellent business case. Parking rates would definitely need to increase.

As stated previously, this city has way too many surface lots that are private parking or that simply sit idle. I am all for parking structures. Other cities, many smaller than Moncton, have them. Saint John, Fredericton, Halifax, etc have them. BUT, this city will never be involved. However, if the parking issue isn't resolved, city council MAY need to become involved.

The map of the "free parking" sites published in the parking story a few days ago was a mess, imo. Who on earth is going to park at Bore Park, for example, in the middle of winter and walk all the way to the DEC? Also listed among the spots available were 300 that Irving secured for season ticket holders. If Irving can only secure 300 spots how can the city expect to secure more? You don't think Irving isn't talking with private lot owners as well as the city (at least they "say" they are)?

Parking, folks, is an issue. BUT, only time will tell if it spells the downfall of the DEC. Remember also that competing with the DEC for parking are all of the downtown retail establishments and the Capitol Theatre. And the Capitol has a season ticket holder base as well. It will be interesting to see if those subscribers can't find a place to park when events collide. Yes, time will tell.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:40 PM

1081 Main St. has around 800 employees right across from the event center and a lot of them can't even find parking, free or otherwise. We have people here parking on Weldon, Highfield, Fleet, St. Georges, Foundry, Cameron, High, Dufferin, etc. where on a good day let's assume we're talking 500 cars. When you look at the event center with 10000 seats we can conservatively say 3000 cars need to park. I suspect that areas like Victoria Park will be surrounded by cars the night of events and I wouldn't be surprised if roads like Highfield/Weldon and whatever lies between had cars all the way up to Mountain Rd.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
1081 Main St. has around 800 employees right across from the event center and a lot of them can't even find parking, free or otherwise. We have people here parking on Weldon, Highfield, Fleet, St. Georges, Foundry, Cameron, High, Dufferin, etc. where on a good day let's assume we're talking 500 cars. When you look at the event center with 10000 seats we can conservatively say 3000 cars need to park. I suspect that areas like Victoria Park will be surrounded by cars the night of events and I wouldn't be surprised if roads like Highfield/Weldon and whatever lies between had cars all the way up to Mountain Rd.
I agree with your assessment and to follow up on Victoria Park, I am down there a LOT in the summer for the city's Acoustica Series, Shakespeare in the Park, craft shows etc. And with the new fountain and plaza, it is going to see even more use. Where will patrons of Victoria Park find accessible parking for its events? Or, in many cases in the summer, parking around the Park is always full for its events. My point is, is that the city has many "competing" events. It's not simply finding parking for the DEC events but also for events going on at the same time (plus of course for the downtown businesses and those on other streets like St. George St.).

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:12 PM

There's a great big lot at the corner of High and Gordon with parking at $70/month last time I checked which was a few months ago.
Could it be that, yet again, if a Monctonian can't find parking within sight of the building door, then they "can't find any parking?" Obviously, according to many users of social media like this website, the answer is yes.
Regarding parking up to Victoria Park and surrounding area for an event downtown, in my own opinion anyone who is able to, but not willing to, walk from St. George St. to Main Street has a problem, but it isn't a parking problem.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:46 PM
The Sheriff

Like it or not Moncton needs to invest in at least 1000 parking spots for this downtown arena. Where to put it is the question. Coming from Fredericton who am I going to car pool with also I normally stay at Hampton inn or Best western when traveling to Moncton, which means that's quite a walk to go see a game or a concert.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
There's a great big lot at the corner of High and Gordon with parking at $70/month last time I checked which was a few months ago.
The sign advertising this lot has been gone for at least 6 months.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
The sign advertising this lot has been gone for at least 6 months.
Thanks for the update on that. I guess he gave up after years of no takers on his offer of daily parking for less than $2 per work day.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:27 PM

I'm in my mid 50's and live within visual site of the old MCA Curling Club. I will have no issues walking to the DEC in -10 winter weather. I actually look forward to walking to the DEC in any weather conditions. Sept 15, I'll be walking to see Chicago at the DEC.

Let's not forget, the majority of the events will be scheduled at 19:00 or later. This will not conflict with the working day people who work downtown or attend events at Victoria park.

Moncton Coliseum has 1,995 parking spots for a 6500 seat arena. DEC has 10,000 capacity for concerts and 8500 seats. So DEC needs what...2,995 parking spots?

Everyone who goes to an event at the Coliseum needs to drive there, unless you live in the back neighborhood. The DEC has a much larger walking distance customer base than the Coliseum. How many? Who knows! Time will tell.

The DEC has access to one of the major transit hubs right next to their front door. Coliseum, zero or maybe one bus.

So how many will walk, bike, bus, car pool, fly themselves there by drones (future transportation), and reduce the need of a parking spot? Who knows....time will tell.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:37 PM

I work downtown and have never paid more then 50/mth for parking.. there is always some available I have to walk to 3 blocks steadman to get that rate.. which most people are not willing to do(lol). I know people that pay literally double my price just to be 1 block closer(and yes they have the choice).

Parking at high and Gordon currently is too far from the core of this city for a 70/mth rate. maybe he could sell it off to season ticket holders.

I have lived in vancouver and new york and understand what having no access to parking truly means. Even with their great transit systems it takes an avg of 45mins-60mins to get to work, We are spoiled with convenience here.

Irving should tear down/repurpose the times buliding and build a garage there .. its a good location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Thanks for the update on that. I guess he gave up after years of no takers on his offer of daily parking for less than $2 per work day.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just to get away from the parking debate for a few minutes - here's a fantastic photo of the events centre, found on Twitter.

Andre Audet Photography

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:44 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Everyone who goes to an event at the Coliseum needs to drive there, unless you live in the back neighborhood. The DEC has a much larger walking distance customer base than the Coliseum. How many? Who knows! Time will tell.
I feel as if not enough people appreciate this. The DEC is going to be an immediate upgrade on accessibility. If you want to drive to it you still can but you'll have to deal with the issues of having a car in and around Downtown. If you want to walk or take transit it's infinitely easier than the Coliseum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces