HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2601  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:53 PM
lirette lirette is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Are they planning on having the concessions open the rest of the time? It would be nice for the folks who work in the area to have additional options to grab a bite to eat. In terms of events though, Goji's is a terrible choice. It'll be great waiting in line behind a crowd of 25 who can't decide what flavor and then topping they want. Hopefully they'll be televising the game/concerts across the event center for all the time you'll miss while stuck in line.
Interesting given that the Gojis in Riverview was announced as closing. Wonder if its the same person involved.

The ice cream at the coliseum was actually very good, probably the best quality vendor they had besides Mexi's. So I'll be disappointed if that's not an option. Although with a top of the line AC theres not as big a need to cool down with a cold dessert.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2602  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:04 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Are they planning on having the concessions open the rest of the time? It would be nice for the folks who work in the area to have additional options to grab a bite to eat.
I'd be shocked if the building was open to the general public through the work week for people who might be looking for something to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
In terms of events though, Goji's is a terrible choice. It'll be great waiting in line behind a crowd of 25 who can't decide what flavor and then topping they want. Hopefully they'll be televising the game/concerts across the event center for all the time you'll miss while stuck in line.
Positive. Stay positive.

It's no different than any other concession food option. I imagine it won't be like a full yogurt operation and they will have fewer options and easier selections to make to have lines move through quickly. Ideally it would be a self-serve setup so there's no line except to pay, although I imagine they don't have the space for that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2603  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:12 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Interesting given that the Gojis in Riverview was announced as closing. Wonder if its the same person involved.
It is the same owner.

The Riverview shop was losing money, and they wanted to concentrate their resources on the new concession at the events centre (or so I heard).

Also, I agree with JHikka, I imagine the Goji's at the events centre will be a trimmed down location, selling only a few variations of their yogourt.

Finally, I agree that the ice cream outlet at the old Coliseum was one of the best concessions there. I hope they make the move too (unless there is some type of non compete clause in the lease agreement for Goji's).
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2604  
Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:29 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
Still No Name for the Events Centre:



SMG however very much hopes to have a contract signed for a naming partner by the time of the Keith Urban concert in three weeks time.

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...tory/100684297 (paywall)

BTW - I don't know how well people are versed in symbology, but the rather generic blue "events centre" sign above indicates that you should go "this way" for passenger drop off and handicapped parking. If however you wish to park your car instead, feel free to circle many, many blocks in the downtown core for at least 30-40 minutes before giving up in despair and parking on a residential street near Mountain Road and enduring another 25-30 minute walk back to the events centre, missing the first act (or first period) in the process.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2605  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:26 AM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 578
Not gonna happen. At the risk of hyperbole, anyone who won't be able to park within a 20 minute walk is an idiot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2606  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 11:36 AM
SevenSquared SevenSquared is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If however you wish to park your car instead, feel free to circle many, many blocks in the downtown core for at least 30-40 minutes before giving up in despair and parking on a residential street near Mountain Road and enduring another 25-30 minute walk back to the events centre, missing the first act (or first period) in the process.
...or just drive to Champlain Place for 6:40, take the 6:45 blue line bus and hop off at the front door at 6:55. Lots of time afterwards to enjoy a meal somewhere afterwards, as the last bus leaves at 11.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2607  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 PM
lirette lirette is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Not gonna happen. At the risk of hyperbole, anyone who won't be able to park within a 20 minute walk is an idiot.
Seems abit hyberbolic for sure to say 30-40 mins. Perhaps if someone is not making any sort of adjustment for when the arrive for an event they will encounter this. Showing up at 7 for a 7pm event. The simple matter of fact is that people are going to think they can do this in the beginning..but they will learn rather quickly to adjust.

If you are spending 150+ dollars to go see Keith Urban be sensible and make extra arrangements to be in the downtown area by 6pm or earlier if possible and everything will be fine.Save yourself the stress.

People with common sense will get it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2608  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:15 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Still No Name for the Events Centre:
Wayfinding signage doesn't typically include the sponsored names of the building in question so I really wouldn't take this sign as meaning the building is with or without a sponsor. That way the sign doesn't have to be replaced every time the building changes names. I think the only time i've seen this was the sign for the ACC on the Gardiner Expressway (which just had to be replaced with Scotiabank Arena )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If however you wish to park your car instead, feel free to circle many, many blocks in the downtown core for at least 30-40 minutes before giving up in despair and parking on a residential street near Mountain Road and enduring another 25-30 minute walk back to the events centre, missing the first act (or first period) in the process.
As others have pointed out this feels a bit hyperbolic.

Wayfinding signage is useful for bus and tour operators as well as people in personal vehicles, along with cyclists and pedestrians.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2609  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:45 PM
felip_ars felip_ars is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Laurentides, Qc (Former NB)
Posts: 177
Pretty much every venue here have their full names on the wayfinding sign (Place Bell, Centre Bell, Centre Videotron, Cogeco Amphitheater, etc).

If I was a business interested in the naming right, I would wait closer and closer to opening day, as I'm sure they're starting to get a little desperate as this is another revenue source in limbo (one being the 250k/year that they were supposed to get from Downtown Moncton Centre-ville Inc., and the other, the 5 millions fundraiser that they dont want to divulge where they are at the moment).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2610  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:51 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
If I was a business interested in the naming right, I would wait closer and closer to opening day, as I'm sure they're starting to get a little desperate as this is another revenue source in limbo (the other one being the 250k/year that they were supposed to get from Downtown Moncton Centre-ville Inc.).
I wonder if Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc isn't getting a little nervous over the realization that every downtown parking space occupied by an event goer means one less patron for their downtown business on that particular evening.

I realize that restaurant and pub owners in the core expect a spike in business from event goers, but the simple fact is most people going to Wildcats or Magic games are just going to the games. Same with a lot of concert goers. Sure, there will be some people making a night of it (especially for big ticket entertainers), but in the long run, the lack of available parking in the core will frequently be a hindrance to their businesses.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2611  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:33 PM
HanSoloCup HanSoloCup is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder if Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc isn't getting a little nervous over the realization that every downtown parking space occupied by an event goer means one less patron for their downtown business on that particular evening.

I realize that restaurant and pub owners in the core expect a spike in business from event goers, but the simple fact is most people going to Wildcats or Magic games are just going to the games. Same with a lot of concert goers. Sure, there will be some people making a night of it (especially for big ticket entertainers), but in the long run, the lack of available parking in the core will frequently be a hindrance to their businesses.
There are a myriad of possible outcomes, but the fact that in the past there was no catalyst to drive patrons (excuse the pun) to the various restaurant and pubs and now there is will be is viewed by Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc as a huge plus and will far out weigh any negative effects. With the potential of flowing 4000+ people in and about the downtown on game and concert nights there is nothing but a huge upside to this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2612  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:47 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
There are a myriad of possible outcomes, but the fact that in the past there was no catalyst to drive patrons (excuse the pun) to the various restaurant and pubs and now there is will be is viewed by Downtown Moncton Centreville Inc as a huge plus and will far out weigh any negative effects. With the potential of flowing 4000+ people in and about the downtown on game and concert nights there is nothing but a huge upside to this.
I think it'll be a wash. There will be some increased business, mostly before and after major concerts, and perhaps playoff hockey, but most people that go to regular hockey games are senior citizens and families with kids. They are mostly interested in getting into the game and getting home afterwards. In the meantime, their cars will be blocking parking spaces that could otherwise be used by patrons of the downtown restaurants and pubs.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2613  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:22 PM
lirette lirette is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think it'll be a wash. There will be some increased business, mostly before and after major concerts, and perhaps playoff hockey, but most people that go to regular hockey games are senior citizens and families with kids. They are mostly interested in getting into the game and getting home afterwards. In the meantime, their cars will be blocking parking spaces that could otherwise be used by patrons of the downtown restaurants and pubs.

I don't think it'll be a wash at all. A concert like Keith Urban is likely bringing 6000+ that fall between 20-40 that will absolutely go for a bit or a drink before or after a show on a Wednesday night that is likely a quiet night if there was no concert. On a Wednesday evening I could park almost anywhere. There is no way a private business owner is going to be upset about that. While weekends will certainly be tougher I never saw any complaints during the car show weekend or Canada day. The booters by law that was passed should help as well.

I think you are underestimating also how many people are going to be willing to Cab downtown or have friends drop them off if they want a night of drinking at the hockey game and go out after. I have plenty of first hand people telling me they can't wait to do that. The fanbase of the Wildcats is going to change overtime, it will be a different experience. If you go to a game in Saint John you'll see a very different demographic there. They charged their marketing to go after millennials and have had success drawing in new fans. Helps they've also put a very successful team on the ice too.

Downtown is mostly dead on sundays as well..now there's a few afternoon cats games where a family could head downtown for lunch or stay late and do dinner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2614  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:30 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:



I'm sure tens of thousands of people will take up the invitation of a free tour, and be thoroughly impressed in the process.

Despite my grumbling about the parking situation, there is no question in my mind that the events centre will be a true game changer for the downtown core and will help define our city in a regional context for decades to come. It has been a very worthwhile investment.

Parking will eventually sort itself out as parking structures get built within reasonable walking distance of the centre. It's just a shame that there will be several years of pain before the situation rectifies itself..........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2615  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 10:57 PM
lirette lirette is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 173
Well the box office naming rights have been confirmed. The "Subaru of Moncton" Box Office.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2616  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:31 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Well the box office naming rights have been confirmed. The "Subaru of Moncton" Box Office.
I wonder who's going to grab the naming rights for the washroom facilities........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2617  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:40 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder who's going to grab the naming rights for the washroom facilities........
It will be the Majesta Royale lavatory
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2618  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 11:12 AM
Blue Blazer's Avatar
Blue Blazer Blue Blazer is offline
The Sheriff
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I wonder who's going to grab the naming rights for the washroom facilities........
Irving related I am sure
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2619  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:47 PM
Ire Narissis Ire Narissis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
It will be the Majesta Royale lavatory
I'd be completely okay with this if it meant the stalls were stocked with 3-ply Royale instead of that 1-molecule-thick commercial sandpaper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2620  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:53 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I'd be completely okay with this if it meant the stalls were stocked with 3-ply Royale instead of that 1-molecule-thick commercial sandpaper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:08 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.