HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 1:49 PM

If my history is correct, I believe it was so, that Commerce was the first building to physically break the barrier. However, I believe Liberty 1 was the first building planned and approved to break the city hall height barrier. A quick google search has come up with nothing, but I believe that is how it went.

Edit: on a side note, anyone else (minor-ly) annoyed that we only have one building with 60 or more stories? It just seems silly especially when you have buildings in Houston that have more floors but are just as tall as our tallest buildings! Anyway, first world problems.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:13 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post

Edit: on a side note, anyone else (minor-ly) annoyed that we only have one building with 60 or more stories? It just seems silly especially when you have buildings in Houston that have more floors but are just as tall as our tallest buildings! Anyway, first world problems.
Hehe, yes! But, I realize many of our tall buildings were created at a time when more "modern" ideas of worker productivity and building economics were being implemented. Things like higher ceilings with bigger windows, which increase worker productivity along with the overall floor to ceiling height, which decreases the overall floor count of a building for any given height.

I guess to sat that another way, is that had our tallest buildings been built 60 years ago, they would be even shorter!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
You're not the only one who thought/thinks that Liberty 1 was the first to break the gentlemen's agreement about being taller than City Hall. I also thought that there was quite the controversy about Liberty 1 breaking it, even back in the day. So, before we actually go in record, we better figure that out.

apetrella, can you comment on this? You were, after all, the photographer of these pics.
Philly-Drew, back in the late 60's, early 70's, there was a proposal for a skyscraper that would break the height limit. The location was where Centre Square now stands (15th & Market). If my memory serves me, (which is not good at all), I think(maybe)was the same developer who changed the design to make Centre Square a twin. (as it is now). ALSO.....around the same time, the Philadelphia Bulletin (newspaper) had a FULL PAGE AD of a development proposed on the Ben Franklin Parkway. It was an apartment, hotel? and the design also topped Billy Penn's Hat. It was a "stepped" design, it really looked cool. But I think that's where all the hoopla started (nimbyism), and they created a height barrier of 250 feet, and so many feet in. Maybe someone like Bryson, or another moderator can elaborate on this? I wished I had saved those newspaper articles! Another side note: Mellon Center, when first proposed was supposed to be 6 more stories higher. But Mellon decided to cut those floors (I guess Mellon only could spend so much, HA!) It would have looked as tall, if not taller than One Liberty, because the spire would have made One Liberty the winner. AND LASTLY, there was a Hyatt Hotel with a revolving restaurant proposed where 2000 Market stands today, or very close to that same site. Oh well....

PS: Apetrella, that was wonderful to watch the progress of One Liberty. I used to watch Brad's site everyday. I just put 2 + 2 together. I thought Brad had taken those shots. Nice Job!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:20 PM

This is proof that Norman Foster is overrated. This plus The Bow in Calgary & The Hearst tower in New York definitely prove that he is lacking in aesthetic sophistication. This is a disappointing design. It's asymmetry doesn't work with the rest of downtown. It's expression of diagonal bracing(a signature feature of Foster's work) is overly mundane. The only recent works by him that are pretty cool, must have had a lot of influence from younger design staff. London's city hall, and another London project, a performing arts center with a curvy roof design. This man is obsessed with the expression of x-bracing. SOM or KPF would have been a much better design firm to go with.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Bryson, or another moderator . . .
Bryson is a moderator - he of occasional and random obscene image posts?

Heh heh. I had no idea.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:41 PM

They are getting loads done. The corner lot is already 9 feet below with the retention wall finished on that side.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:22 PM
Realtor

added some pics on the facebook page today. Cool to see that retention wall starting up!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
added some pics on the facebook page today. Cool to see that retention wall starting up!
They are going to town on it. Was there last week and the progression is remarkable. Where are they dumping because that is a lit of land being dug. When I was in NYC years ago I loved hearing how Battery Park was basically built by the dirt dug for the Original WTC.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 11:27 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post

Philly-Drew, back in the late 60's, early 70's, there was a proposal for a skyscraper that would break the height limit. The location was where Centre Square now stands (15th & Market). If my memory serves me, (which is not good at all), I think(maybe)was the same developer who changed the design to make Centre Square a twin. (as it is now). ALSO.....around the same time, the Philadelphia Bulletin (newspaper) had a FULL PAGE AD of a development proposed on the Ben Franklin Parkway. It was an apartment, hotel? and the design also topped Billy Penn's Hat. It was a "stepped" design, it really looked cool. But I think that's where all the hoopla started (nimbyism), and they created a height barrier of 250 feet, and so many feet in. Maybe someone like Bryson, or another moderator can elaborate on this? I wished I had saved those newspaper articles! Another side note: Mellon Center, when first proposed was supposed to be 6 more stories higher. But Mellon decided to cut those floors (I guess Mellon only could spend so much, HA!) It would have looked as tall, if not taller than One Liberty, because the spire would have made One Liberty the winner. AND LASTLY, there was a Hyatt Hotel with a revolving restaurant proposed where 2000 Market stands today, or very close to that same site. Oh well....

PS: Apetrella, that was wonderful to watch the progress of One Liberty. I used to watch Brad's site everyday. I just put 2 + 2 together. I thought Brad had taken those shots. Nice Job!

Awesome news man! I appreciate the memory! Good stuff. Like you said, if anyone else has a memory of those days, let it roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is proof that Norman Foster is overrated. This plus The Bow in Calgary & The Hearst tower in New York definitely prove that he is lacking in aesthetic sophistication. This is a disappointing design. It's asymmetry doesn't work with the rest of downtown. It's expression of diagonal bracing(a signature feature of Foster's work) is overly mundane. The only recent works by him that are pretty cool, must have had a lot of influence from younger design staff. London's city hall, and another London project, a performing arts center with a curvy roof design. This man is obsessed with the expression of x-bracing. SOM or KPF would have been a much better design firm to go with.
Dude, chill out! This is Norman Foster, straight up. Everyone is allowed to have their opinion, and that's yours. I happen to think the building looks cool, that Norman Foster is a stud, and that this building will ultimately be one of the buildings that defines the man when he's gone.

The diagonal bracing is awesome and reminds me of how the John Hancock building in Chicago, stands out on Michigan Ave. CITC is in a more detailed pattern. I was at the Signature Room last night actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
Believe it or not, I don't have Face Book and don't really plan to. And, I'm an IT guy!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 11:29 PM

Some pictures from this evening. 7/25/14

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 12:41 PM
BANNED

So when does this thread move from Proposals to Under Construction?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
So when does this thread move from Proposals to Under Construction?
Not until there is foundation work/caisson installation. Still got a little bit of time.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:02 PM

waiting for construction status

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not until there is foundation work/caisson installation. Still got a little bit of time.
at least the little tool booth/stand is gone!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:31 PM

I wouldn't know how to do this, but can anyone with computer skills do a quick copy and paste of CITC and where it should add up with this shot? Nothing fancy I just want to see where it all adds up.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post

I wouldn't know how to do this, but can anyone with computer skills do a quick copy and paste of CITC and where it should add up with this shot? Nothing fancy I just want to see where it all adds up.

here's my quick attempt based on this:

http://philadelphiaheights.files.wor...pg?w=640&h=480

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:16 PM

Nice work. I think that's pretty accurate for a quick attempt.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Very, very impressive. If its not to hard, and tell me if it is, I might bug a few people to do this, because in my opinion Comcast has not gave out enough renderings from enough angles. Thanks again. Exactly what I was thirst for.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Really great shot! I love the industrial look of the new Comcast tower. I think it will add tremndously to the skyline, not only for height but for aesthetics too.

Also, good shot of Liberty 1 & 2, two classic contemporary gems in my book.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:39 PM

Lol I just pulled this off of the internet!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The Comcast siblings. Both dominate the skyline. I never realized how bulky
this was. Hmmmm looks nice and it works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture