Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Love the photography from you, but this comment made me want to put a bullet in my head lol
Coming from the guy who rants about the meaning of garish.........

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:05 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
^ugh, learning hard
brain no function beer well without!

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:15 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Coming from the guy who rants about the meaning of garish.........
Well, it's mostly because he's wrong. The glass colors are going to be different. Sure there will be an effect when viewed together, but if they were all looked at separately we would notice differences in coloration. His entire explanation is just silly.

My entire point originally was that people are judging the colors based off one section of glass when we have no idea what it will actually look like once the entire set is placed, making Joe's comment kind of pointless. He is right about the waiting(which I had already said), but for the wrong reason

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Well, it's mostly because he's wrong. The glass colors are going to be different. Sure there will be an effect when viewed together, but if they were all looked at separately we would notice differences in coloration. His entire explanation is just silly.

My entire point originally was that people are judging the colors based off one section of glass when we have no idea what it will actually look like once the entire set is placed, making Joe's comment kind of pointless. He is right about the waiting(which I had already said), but for the wrong reason
In color theory, Shade refers to how much black is added to a hue. Tint refers to how much white is added to a hue.

You originally said "There will be 7(?) different shades used, ranging from blue to green". Shades don't range from one color to another. They range from light to dark to crate a gradient of a single base color.

To me, the rendering looks like lighter and darker versions of a single base color. There aren't blues and greens.

Edit: In conclusion, window tinting should be called window shading.

Last edited by vexxed82; May 2, 2018 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:22 AM
BANNED

^ Nic drop.

Not a typo. Thanks for the thorough explaination, sir

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:06 AM

^^ There's no need to defend what you originally wrote because it was informative, polite, and easy for a layperson to understand. But I love that you wrote it, and the follow-up, anyway. I love learning a little bit more on these forums.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:18 AM

Looks to me like the glass is green

The photo where the glass appears blue might be due to a mirror-like effect in which we see a reflection of the blue color of the sky

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:29 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
In color theory, Shade refers to how much black is added to a hue. Tint refers to how much white is added to a hue.

You originally said "There will be 7(?) different shades used, ranging from blue to green". Shades don't range from one color to another. They range from light to dark to crate a gradient of a single base color.

To me, the rendering looks like lighter and darker versions of a single base color. There aren't blues and greens.

Edit: In conclusion, window tinting should be called window shading.
The render is mostly green, but there are some "sneaky" areas where there are bluish hues. Also, when reflecting off a blue sky will we see blue variation?

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:17 AM
Development Shill

I guess... agree to disagree on how we are viewing the glass :/

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:22 AM

Either way i think the rendering above shows a false translucency that is somewhat deceiving but i digress!

Vista is one of a kind........

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
The render is mostly green, but there are some "sneaky" areas where there are bluish hues. Also, when reflecting off a blue sky will we see blue variation?

Nice graphic!

It'll look like a lot of different colors in a lot of different situations, ha. If I recall correctly, Vista's glass program went from 7 shades down to 5. Cold be wrong. Either way it's tough to say the render is a perfect approximation of color - especially if it takes sky reflections into account.

My suspicion is that the lighter panes will appear more blue on a crispy clear bluebird sky days. While the darker panes retain more of the greenish hue. Generally speaking, overcast days are better for letting you see the actual glass color.

I think Wolf Point West is a good analog for what we might see with Vista. Compared to other buildings, it's my experience that WPW is more chameleon-like than other. Sometimes is a deep, dark green. Other times it's dark blue. Sometimes I've seen it as a light, almost sage, green.

It's tough to get the '"right" photograph...if it even exists. Especially when doing it for the architects . They have a very specific look/color in mind as to what it should be. But that specific color is dependent on: sky conditions, sun angle, time of year, location of photographer, etc. I did some work on WPW a while back and we went back and forth quite a bit on final edits to get the right greenish-blue mix.

Long story short, actual color is relative.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
I guess... agree to disagree on how we are viewing the glass :/
This is what it might look like with blue AND green hues of glass in varying shades of darkness. I sampled the color of glass from Regatta just to the East and did a quick hue replacement in Photoshop. Obviously not the pattern they would choose, but gives you an idea of what having two different hues of glass would look like.

All I was trying to get across is that I'm of the belief they're going with one color (whatever blue-greemn mix we want to call it) and varying the darkness and lightness of that base hue to achieve the final look. In the case of glass they'd simply be adding different percentages of Chrome oxide (or whatever chemical turns glass the color we are seeing) to the molten mix to get the different shades. Not adding different chemicals AND percentages to change the base color and shade. I don't know why I'm so fixated on this...

Last edited by vexxed82; May 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:43 AM

I honestly would love it even more if it did turn out like the pic above!

Where do i sign?

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:28 AM
1st Ward

Kudos to all (especially Nick) for all the info on colors! Felt like I was in Arch 101 with Dan Wheeler at UIC all over again

The above rendering with the green glass I though was an older version, however? I believe the developers decided to stick with a blander and much less interesting blue glass? I would be happy to be mistaken on this, just something that I remember hearing or reading about a few months back.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 10:09 AM

Professor Ulivieri comes through again. Thank you sir.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:42 PM

Bang-up job on that hypothetical color adjustment, NU. At first glance, I wasn't a fan of how it looked. But then came second and third glances, and honestly, it looks sensational. It's crazy how eager we all are to see this thing materialize.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Kudos to all (especially Nick) for all the info on colors! Felt like I was in Arch 101 with Dan Wheeler at UIC all over again

The above rendering with the green glass I though was an older version, however? I believe the developers decided to stick with a blander and much less interesting blue glass? I would be happy to be mistaken on this, just something that I remember hearing or reading about a few months back.
Photoshop color replacement brush is a hell of a tool, ha.

I think you're correct. It is an older rendering, but I don't know that we've gotten a newer, more accurate one since the news of the color change was announced.

Given that, I think we're all a bit surprised to see the first panes of glass had as much green in them at all.

You're welcome. I'm not an expert on construction & architecture, but like to think I've learned a thing or two about color & light in my time as a photographer.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 11:38 PM

TODAY:

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

Nice Picture. But forget the Vista, this photo really highlights the speed of Gems Academy 2 going up. Props to them

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 12:50 PM

I pray GEMS will still be tall enough to cover up that glaring party wall which was the original plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture