HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 8:51 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Looks like trinity has made this one larger; new render shows up to 9 floors now.

They could change that roof to copper and match the Mizrahi project in the opposite corner, then maybe incorporate some of that detail to the rest of the streetfront to make it more interesting and cohesive.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Condo Canyon is creeping eastward!
Condo Canyon - now with setbacks!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
They could change that roof to copper and match the Mizrahi project in the opposite corner, then maybe incorporate some of that detail to the rest of the streetfront to make it more interesting and cohesive.
Wow, nice, that really does tie it together. I hope someone from Trinity follows these forums.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Trinity floating redevelopment of 'cottage' gas station off Island Park

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 8, 2019

A company is floating a redevelopment idea for the old cottage-style gas station at Richmond Road and Island Park Drive, on the property where a previous plan to install a drive-thru café caused a stir in the community.

Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper said Trinity Developments has what he considers a “rough noodle” of the plan for 70 Richmond Rd., rather than a full-blown project proposal. There is no development application filed at city hall.

Trinity has been featuring the future development on its website, with an opening slated for 2022. Trinity officials weren’t available for comment Monday.

Leiper said Trinity has suggested moving the old building on the property closer to the main street and constructing a tall building behind it.

Doing anything with the 1930s heritage building would require city council’s blessing.

Council would also need to approve proposed changes to the zoning rules for the site, including the maximum height. Trinity’s rendering of the development suggests a new building would have roughly nine or 10 storeys.

The Richmond Road/Westboro community design plan calls for a maximum of four storeys of development at 70 Richmond Rd., with potential for six storeys at “gateway” lands in the area.

“We’ve suggested to them that the community won’t act favourably to something that exceeds the community design plan,” Leiper said.

However, holding a development to the prescribed height could be difficult, since Mizrahi Developments has approval from the Ontario Municipal Board to construct a 12-storey condo building diagonally across the intersection at 1445 and 1451 Wellington St. W., which has been considered a gateway property between Westboro, Wellington West and Ottawa’s core.

On top of that, there are already tall condo buildings, in the eight- to 10-storey range, on Richmond Road west of Island Park Drive.

Leiper acknowledged the Mizrahi development in particular could open the door to more development density around the intersection.

The service station building, designed as an English cottage, was constructed in 1934. Benzolene Corporation Ltd. was the first company listed as occupying the property, according to city research. It became a Champlain Oil Company service station shortly later. (Champlain was owned by Charles-Emile Trudeau, the father of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau).

Ottawa artist Andrew King drew the public’s attention to the unique building in September 2014 and noted that the property had been purchased by developer Main + Main.

City council in September 2015 voted to give the building heritage protection, since it’s a rare example of a 1930s service station located on an important road that connected rural communities with Ottawa. The gas station is a symbol of the growing vehicle ownership in the early 20th century, city planners argued.

Main + Main wanted to turn the property into a drive-thru café, but Leiper and other community leaders opposed the idea because they thought a drive-thru would negatively impact walkability and worsen traffic congestion at a busy intersection.

It’s a tricky property for a complementary development to the heritage building since the heritage building is at the back of the land.

David Jeanes, president of Heritage Ottawa, said the advocacy organization hasn’t heard from Trinity about the company’s idea for the property, but he noted that moving any part of a heritage building is usually a “pretty extreme” move.

“It’s a difficult site for development, but on the other hand, it was designated (as heritage) for good reason,” Jeanes said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ff-island-park

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 5:55 PM

lol, I'd like to see the NIMBY's noodle their way out of this one!

Restaurant? "NOOOOO"
Drive-Thru? "NOOOOO"
Another gas station? "NOOOO"

Ok fine, we'll put a giant condo instead.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:03 PM

1451 Wellington West set the bar way high when it comes to the gateway landmark loop hole. Knowing the City though, they'll probably approve any mediocre project proposed by their friends at Trinity. They won't have to go through the same headaches as Mizrahi.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Trinity floating redevelopment of 'cottage' gas station off Island Park

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 8, 2019

Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper said Trinity Developments has what he considers a “rough noodle” of the plan for 70 Richmond Rd., rather than a full-blown project proposal. There is no development application filed at city hall.
"rough doodle"?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:15 PM

I'm not sure much height is justified here. This isn't actually near rapid transit. (Despite being next to the LRT corridor, it's in one of the long gaps between stations that's common in the west side of the urban core, so it's almost a kilometre away from the nearest one).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:22 PM

Googled it and it's exactly the same distance to Tunney's or Westboro (station the station); 1 km, about a 12 to 15 minute walk. Wasn't expecting that. I actually thought it was further. Distance between Tunney's and Westboro is 1.44 km. We've all said it before, but they should have re-worked station placement between Bayview and Lincoln Fields (LF). At least they added two between Dominion and LF.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
"rough doodle"?
"Rough noodle". I knew he'd quote that before the words were fully out of my face. First day back in the office, face not quite working yet.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleiper View Post
"Rough noodle". I knew he'd quote that before the words were fully out of my face. First day back in the office, face not quite working yet.
LOL
Is that like a cross between a rough draft and a wet noodle? I love it either way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
LOL
Is that like a cross between a rough draft and a wet noodle? I love it either way.

Exactly. Me to myself: "I know what you're going to say. You've already started saying it. Don't say it, don't say it, don't say it... Oh crap."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:38 AM

Updated render:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Updated render:
That guy on the 2nd floor looks like he is about to drop his briefcase to the ground below and isn' t there a building on the north side of Richmond that had a fire a while ago and doesn't look like that anymore.?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
That guy on the 2nd floor looks like he is about to drop his briefcase to the ground below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
... isn' t there a building on the north side of Richmond that had a fire a while ago and doesn't look like that anymore.?
It's the green one between Napoli Pizza and the big grey one. It is still there and looks "sort of" normal from many angles. Driving past, it is an obvious burn out shell.

... and probably just me.. but I'm not lovin the attempt to make an old gas station useful here. Just looks messy and cluttered.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:30 PM

Wonder if they're demolishing the back or integrating it in the lobby like 150 Elgin.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:54 PM

No effort to integrate the shack and the new build together whatsoever. Looks like a jumbled mess.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
No effort to integrate the shack and the new build together whatsoever. Looks like a jumbled mess.
Yep. At least in the first rendering they had the first floor the same colour as the old gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi
This.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:38 PM

I do like the gas station being nestled like that - looks cozy. But the building leaves a lot to be desired. It's jut a regular, boring design. I wish they could have done something more inspiring, especially considering this intersection. There's no shortage of buildings would could look towards for design inspiration.

Who's the architect behind this?

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 5:14 PM
National Capital Region

Trinity consulting on possible options for the site including demolition of the gas station

http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/7...view-3-options

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa