HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 12:02 AM

Whats going on with these towers?

Does anyone know the situation of these towers right now? Is there an estimated time for construction to begin? I'v heard several rumors about the whole infinity/skytower's development (Hight construction costs, bankruptcy,etc.) and now i'm beginning to worry that some of these towers may not even be built!!

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 1:41 AM

Fuck, nice height for two beautiful buildings. to bad we couldn't get somethign liek these in downtown.

Go surrey!

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:24 AM

I don't think there is any basis in fact regarding those rumors. It's true that the original owner of the Infinity complex had financial issues due to 6 month delays but the new owner has very deep pockets. Not to mention towers 2 and 3 are already under construction and I've heard that there are no issues.

I'm not sure the hold up on Sky Towers (they had expected to start digging the hole mid to end of April). We're only technically a month behind in that regard but there could be a lot of things contributing to that fact.

We'll see what happens.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:46 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The project is on hold, why I don't know. There is an update scheduled for July/Aug. So we'll know then. I haven't heard any rumours why it's on hold and I won't speculate. Holds are not uncommon so I wouldn't get worried yet.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:38 AM

Did some digging earlier today and it seems the project is still on track from the developers standpoint. They are experiencing some delays due to the development permit process with Surrey, but the project is not actually on hold at all.

The only portion of the overall project on hold are towers 4 & 5 for the Infinity complex portion. Sky Towers 1 & 2, + Infinity 2 & 3 are still good to go and ST is simply pending approval for a development permit so that they can finally break ground.

At least that's what I've found out as of earlier today through some digging around.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 7:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Maybe the design of Infinity towers 4 & 5 will be improved over 2 & 3.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:58 AM

Nothing has been done to the site yet. It is still closed off and the grass has reached about 3 feet high. I don't think they will start this project until towers 2 and 3 have topped out because the site is already so busy and every time I take the sky train to Van at the King George station there are usually 3 or 4 concrete trucks parked on the side of the road blocking traffic and the construction workers have to guide the traffic along the side.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 11:49 PM

Hopefully it should all look like this by 2012 or so.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 3:47 PM

Where'd you get that mock-up?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 9:29 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Where'd you get that mock-up?
I have seen this before. It's a Google Sketchup rendering of the King George Station area. It also includes Central City.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...9c02f210c9b868

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 10:46 PM

Now that's the sort of thing I was looking for at that Surrey Open House. Has anyone done the rest of Surrey, like the Urban Village or the City Point towers?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 5:12 AM

I've been working on a hobby project for recreating downtown Surrey for Google Earth but it's difficult as I can only typically go based on plans or images I can find on the net. I wish the city was able to release the Sketchup models they DO have so they could be compiled for public release.

:-|

Also any status update? I'm probably going to end up phoning the dev again in the next few weeks to try and get something out of them but they seemed (last time I talked to them) to indicate the hold up was city related. I'd imagine though with the market as it is right now in the adjustment phase, that they aren't asking the city to hurry up.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

that diagram shows how Surrey is on its way to a Mississauga style skyline...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:18 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Van View Post
that diagram shows how Surrey is on its way to a Mississauga style skyline...
True, but at least it is better than what was there before. And actually, I think Surrey is on the same path as Mississauga in many ways, albeit much further behind. Mississauga has some interesting buildings coming down the pipeline, and then again... so will Surrey.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
True, but at least it is better than what was there before. And actually, I think Surrey is on the same path as Mississauga in many ways, albeit much further behind. Mississauga has some interesting buildings coming down the pipeline, and then again... so will Surrey.
Which is not too bad given the fact Mississauga has technically 100,000 more people than Vancouver itself.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 10:31 PM

Surrey is expected to take over Vancouver population wise in a decade or something

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Surrey is expected to take over Vancouver population wise in a decade or something
What good can surrians do? Surrey is hopeless, might well just move the downtown eastside there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 12:02 AM

Thats not happening anytime soon. Surrey:400,000+ vs Vancouver:670,000

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 12:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I thought Vancouver proper was 613,000. Regardless, Surrey has a ways to go before it surpasses it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 2:13 AM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I thought Vancouver proper was 613,000. Regardless, Surrey has a ways to go before it surpasses it.
As of the 2006 Census, Vancouver 578,041, Surrey 394,976. Vancouver grew 5.9% (32,370 People) from 2001 and Surrey grew 13.6% (47,156 People) in the same amount of time. Since 2006, Surrey has grown to over 450,000.

According to BC Statistics, in 2007 Vancouver had 611,869 people and grew 0.8% from a 2006 population of 606,901 (4,968 People). In the same period, Surrey had 423,935 in 2007 and grew 2.6% from 413,361 in 2006 (10,574 People). That's a difference of 5,606 people more that moved to Surrey. Just to keep everything in perspective, the average growth rate in the province was just 1.4% from 2006 to 2007.

If you take the BC Statistics year over year growth rate and apply every year until 2030, it looks like Surrey will surpass Vancouver between 2027 and 2028. But this isn't logical as the growth rates for both will ultimately change over time. Vancouver's growth rate has been dropping and the density is already fairly high. Surrey's density is much lower and the city hasn't even densified yet. So theoretically, it should be much sooner than 2027, and probably before 2020.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley