HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 10:59 AM
Meh

2 wheels, 10 miles, 10 views & 45 photos [South Side views]

2 weeks ago (on the 23rd) I went out for a bike ride in South Austin to check on "the views". Most of the photos were taken from the ground. I did take a few from the railroad bridge at William Cannon Drive, the South Austin ACC Campus garage, and the 3rd floor of an apartment.

A map of where I went. The drops in the lower right are in my neighborhood. From there I went west

360. I actually took this shot and the next one last April. It wasn't showing up very well this last time. When I first went out it was a little cloudy, but it later cleared up nicely. I took this shot near an auto parts store on South First near Eberhart Lane. The communication tower to the left of 360 is near South First and Ben White near the fire station.

This shot and the next 4 are from Emerald Forrest Drive. This is a ~5 minute bike ride from my house. L2R: One American Center, The Ashton, Frost Bank Tower and the top of One Congress Plaza. The building in the foreground is the 5-story South Austin Hospital "tower" on Ben White Boulevard. To the left of One American Center, you can see the top of the hospital's parking garage. And of course you can see the crane for The Austonian. The building's going to show up big time here.

Chase Bank Tower showing up too to the far left.

Dobie Center, with the UT Tower behind it, 360 Condos, 300 West Sixth and the Chase Bank Tower to the far right.

Spring. I had really doubted that I'd be able to see it since it's so far west in downtown, plus it stands at a lower elevation than the rest of downtown. I hadn't been looking for it either until I went out for my ride. With the winter weather and clouds, downtown usually disappears around my neighborhood.

I took this one from Cooper Lane near Austin Highlands Boulevard. I've watched this view get better and better over the years. L2R: One American Center, The Ashton, the very top (angled roof) of 100 Congress with The Austonian behind it, the Frost Bank Tower and One Congress Plaza. The water tank is located near South First Street & Ben White Boulevard. Notice that you can just see The Austonian peeking over the roof of 100 Congress. It'll be more than twice as tall as 100 Congress.

This one and the next 3 are from the William Cannon Bridge over the railroad tracks. L2R: 300 West Sixth, (far left) Chase Bank Tower, One American Center, The Ashton with the Bank of America Center behind it, Frost Bank Tower and One Congress Plaza. You can just see the top of 100 Congress too in front of the Frost Bank Tower. And of course The Austonian's crane.

The Austin Hilton Convention Center Hotel to the right. You can also just barely make out the Four Seasons Residences crane next to it to the left.

Spring and 360. You can also see the Dobie Center with the UT Tower behind it. You can also just barely see the roof of The Monarch in front of the Dobie Center. And you can even see the twin flagpoles of the Wells Fargo Tower about two inches to the right.

Spring, the UT Tower and Dobie Center with 360 to the right. And, the shocker. Notice that directly over the railroad tracks you can see something sticking up above the tree line. That's 21Rio in West Campus.

This one and the next 3 were taken from Manchaca Road. The Ashton, Frost Bank Tower and The Austonian crane. One American Center is there too, low in the trees near the center of the pic.

360 Condos.

Spring, Dobie Center and UT Tower.

This one and the next 4 were taken from Austin Community College's South Austin Campus. They have a 5-story parking garage there. This is just a quarter mile from my house.

Frost Bank Tower's top with The Austonian's crane. You can see 360 and Palisades West from there too, but they were harder to find and the light wasn't cooperating. You can also see the One American Center's very top to the left.

JDawgboy's grocery store? This is the very top of the Randall's grocery store at Manchaca Road & Ben White Blvd.

Looking southwest over Manchaca Road.

This photo and the next 5 were taken near a new retail building that finished construction last year on William Cannon Drive near Deaton Hill Lane.

The rest of the photos were taken from a hill on Deaton Hill Lane. The street overlooks the city then quickly drops back down. It's one of the best views in the area. They just got finished building a new 3-story condo project there. It was surprising how much and how far I could see from up there.

Lots of buildings. Even the Capitol. Thanks to the Capitol, it's amazing to think that there's been a skyline view here for just over 120 years.

Western edge of downtown. The freeway overpass is Ben White Boulevard/Texas 71. You can even see the Texas Memorial Stadium on the UT Campus.

UT Tower and Dobie Center with Spring and The Monarch.

West Campus neighborhood to the left with 21Rio putting on the facade. That one midrise way in the background is actually in North Austin about 10 miles away from where I was.

Ye olde water tower. A fixture of my neighborhood. I can see the beacon from my driveway.

Four Seasons poking up to the right (with crane). The building should be about level with its crane once it's finished.

The Shore and Legacy on the Lake. Also note the roof of the Hilton Garden Inn to the far left just above the treeline. You can also see the gentle rise on the horizon of the US 290 landfill in Northeast Austin. The water tank to the right is the one on 290 near the landfill.

Highrises at I-35 & Ben White/Texas 71. You can also see the massive highway flyovers. The tallest one is 120 feet tall.

ACC Pinnacle Campus in Southwest Austin.

Palisades West office building in West Austin.

Saint Edward's University in South Austin.

South Austin Hospital.

Toys 'R' Us on Loop 360 & Lamar Boulevard in Southwest Austin.

Overlooking the former Albertsons grocery store at West Gate Boulevard & William Cannon Drive just down the hill.

The Decker Lake Power Station in East Austin on the horizon. The communication tower in the foreground and water tank are near South First Street & Ben White Boulevard in South Austin.

In case you like what you've seen.

~ Thanks for looking.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 12:17 PM
Austinite

Great shots Kevin! I espeially like the last batch from atop the hill. Amazing to see the progress of our skyline. The North Austin buildings you can see includes the Radisson Hotel, next door to Highland Mall, and Drury Inn (sits atop a ridge).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 1:40 PM

thanx for representin' the south side, now just imagine these with the W and Austonian.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:12 PM

great vantage points from s. austin! thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 8:20 PM

Cool photos Kevin!

Cant wait to see The Austonian in this photo.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 12:39 AM
Meh

I also caught the infamous 100+ foot tall billboard at Ben White & Lamar near Strait Music. That thing is a monster. They built it tall enough so that drivers on the Ben White overpass could see it. I've spotted it from several places around South Austin.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:08 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I love the hills.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 2:58 AM

Awesome. Austin's skyline has changed so much since I lived in SA from 2001-2004.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 11:35 AM

Wow - those are some sweet views from Deaton Hill Drive, And that Toys R US? That's my 'hood.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I also caught the infamous 100+ foot tall billboard at Ben White & Lamar near Strait Music. That thing is a monster. They built it tall enough so that drivers on the Ben White overpass could see it. I've spotted it from several places around South Austin.
Thanks for the pics.

I can see that billboard, as well as the electronic one a little farther east, all the way from Lost Creek.

BTW, where did you take that pic of Pallisades West from? I see that view driving down the south access road from the Lamar exit at Ben White, right at the Westgate signal. But I've never seen a place to pull off and take a pic.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 2:07 AM
Meh

I took the pic of Palisades West in the parking lot of the Deaton Hill Condos complex. They're located at 6810 Deaton Hill Drive. They're near the corner of Deaton Hill Drive and William Cannon Drive about a block west of West Gate Boulevard. If you go, from Ben White, take West Gate south to William Cannon and turn right onto William Cannon. There's a KFC and Starbucks Coffee on the corner. Pass those and go about a block on William Cannon. You'll go up a big hill. To the right is a new looking retail building. Behind it there's a cellphone tower. To its left is a China Hill restaurant and a Texaco gas station next to it. They're at the corner of Deaton Hill Drive. Turn right onto Deaton Hill Drive and go for about a block. There's an older condo project at the corner of Deaton Hill & William Cannon, (brown buildings) on the left side of Deaton Hill Drive The newer complex where the views are is next to it. Turn in the drive and go up the hill. You can walk around and see some of the views between the buildings. For the shot of Palisades West, there was a spot on the property near the back that was vacant right off the parking lot. From there you can see Palisades West and ACC's Pinnacle Campus just to the left through the trees. For the views of downtown, there's one building that faces in that direction. If you go up the stairs to the third level facing downtown, there's a window in the stairwell looking out. You can see downtown as well as the I-35/Ben White highrises, Saint Ed's, South Austin Hospital, the Toys R US and that water tower. I knew I'd see downtown, Saint Ed's and the Ben White highrises, but not the others. It was a bit of a surprise.

On the map here, the two droppers off to the left are in that area. The one on the bottom closer to William Cannon is behind the retail building. There's a porch area that goes around the building above the parking lot. It looks out over the shopping center nearby. But the better view is from the condo complex up the street.

You can also see Palisades West near South First Street & Ben White. If you're headed north on South First, there's a nice view of the hills to the left and you can see Palisades West fairly easily. I've never stopped for a photo, but there's a City Market grocery store at the Southwest corner of the intersection. You could probably find a place in the parking lot to get a good shot of it. Also nearby on Ben White, the bridge that crosses the railroad tracks has a good view of the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:04 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hey, how did you know I go to that Randall's? I figured you probably saw me there one time or something LOL. But yea, thats where i go for grocery shopping and gas! you can get some good deals on the gas points.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:00 AM

Quote:
I took the pic of Palisades West in the parking lot of the Deaton Hill Condos complex. They're located at 6810 Deaton Hill Drive. They're near the corner...
Thanks Kevin. I want to check that view out!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:49 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Hey, how did you know I go to that Randall's? I figured you probably saw me there one time or something LOL. But yea, thats where i go for grocery shopping and gas! you can get some good deals on the gas points.
Haha, nah, I remember you saying that's your hood. I've been in there a few times, but we usually go to the HEB at Brodie & William Cannon, or else the one at South First & William Cannon.

There's also a new grocery store, a Newflower store that is opening up at an old Safeway store. It later became a Hobby Lobby, but it's been vacant for a while. But they're opening this new grocery store there. It's at Manchaca & William Cannon. It's great, we'll have 4 grocery stores within 2 miles of our house. Newflower apparently is the new name of the Sunflower Markets.

http://www.gourmetretailer.com/gourm...e5bde677b87ae5

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:48 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Haha, nah, I remember you saying that's your hood. I've been in there a few times, but we usually go to the HEB at Brodie & William Cannon, or else the one at South First & William Cannon.
Guess what, I have gone to the HEB on Brodie and William Cannon over 100 times. It was our dependable store around. It is in my hood'. Now though, we depend on the new HEB at Escarpment and Slaughter. It is in my hood, but Circle C isn't my "location", but I consider Villages at Western Oaks, my location, and Circle C to be my "region".
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin