HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:02 PM

Wow...look at these......

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:05 PM

Dusk

Not a bad view - but the skyline needs a few more larger buildings - maybe a bit more modern....

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 8:12 PM

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 9:19 PM
Me?!?

Let's hope that you are right, Mrmidtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Eastside, In recent dicussions with some members of the Harrisburg Young Professionals there is supposedly now 3 distinct markets in the Harrisburg MSA. West Shore (obviously) and now the east shore is supposedly split into the Colonial Park area, and the East Harrisburg Area.
The West Shore/East Shore thing, I buy it (even though it has always been laughable at best to me LOL). But to split up the East Shore in that way is kind of silly to me, as A) those places aren't even close to big enough to support themselves and B) the Colonial Park area is an older' 'burb and has always been right in the mix of it all. If (and that is a really big "if" there) I was going to split up the ES, I would say it is two areas with the second starting at West Hanover and heading to Hershey. But in that case it proves my point even more and the East Mall (er excuse me, the Harrisburg Mall) is not even in the equation because those folks seem to stay in their world or head even further east.

Quote:
I don't think the new movie theatre is just another. I think it is serving a needed market. Where in Harrisburg on the east shore is there a place to see movies?
Umm let's see here, off the top of my head: The Regal, Colonial Park Mall, Colonial Commons...and these are all very, very close to each other. To add another 14 screens so close at a time when box offices are seeing a dramatic drop in movie goers is quite silly IMO. If you can't already find a movie theatre close to you on the East Shore, then you aren't even trying!

And then head right cross the river into the WS and you have how many?!? IMO the HBG metro is SATURATED already.

Quote:
Besides, a theatre will bring people to the mall, meaning it should increase traffic at the mall and help all the businesses out.
That is not always the case and this is why we have seen many mall movie theatres across the country close over the years and replaced by stores. My personal preference: a mall IS a good place for a theatre so I do support this theatre being at the HBG Mall in theory. But what I am not supporting is yet another one, as the market is already saturated enough IMO.

Nice find, crs921! Make no mistake about it: I do miss living in Shipoke and walking/jogging along the river at night, watching the lights reflect off of the Susquehanna.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 12:39 AM

Happy to see some great shots of my hometown! Was just there a couple of weeks ago, and was impressed with the changes happening Downtown, including the Harrisburg University building.

As for movie theaters, I think the ones in jeopardy are those that don't offer stadium seating. The non-stadium seating discount theaters can get away without it, but otherwise, I think patrons prefer the stadium seating experience a lot more. I can say that I definitely do! That said, when Colonial Commons opened, it was such a big deal. Same for the Hampden Center 8 on the West Shore. Now the new theater at the Harrisburg Mall is going to be the premier one on the East Shore, even better than Regal, and along with the upgrades and improvements being made throughout the mall, it may become more of a destination. So many attempts have been made to breathe new life into that place, and last time I visited, it seemed not to be working. Here's to hoping this one does the trick! Seems the new owners may be on the right track.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 7:30 PM
Man on a mission

I am sort of new to the area and don't really run with the party hard crowd Anyone know about This?

Some of the out of state people commenting on the article are less than nice to Harrisburg. I find thier comments ill informed and closeminded. Oh well.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
Man on a mission

Progress

Quick Snap shot on the way to work this morning. Lighting is a little bad (it was before 7am) and the tree is kinda hidding the disassembled portion of the house.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 1:22 AM

Harrisburg Construction Photos

see below!

Last edited by crs921; Sep 18, 2007 at 1:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
Man on a mission

I get the red x's GAH!!!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 1:06 PM

Hbg Construction Photos - Take 2 :)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 1:09 PM

List?

anyone have an updated listing of all the towers planned for downtown Harrisburg?

other than Aloft Hotel - what are the other hotels planned and anyone have specs?

any updates on the nearly 20-story tower for 2nd street (restaurant row) with a skybar on the top level?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 1:15 PM

Aloft Hotel Construction Begins

Several buildings at the southeast corner of North Second and State streets are scheduled to come down later this month in order to make way for a nearly 170 foot tall Aloft Hotel.

Developer J. Alex Hartzler said today that while the project had been delayed from its original July start date, demolition work would begin this month, with construction to follow.

Hartzler, president of WCI Partners of Harrisburg, said the company is still hoping to begin checking in guests in late 2008.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 2:17 AM
Man on a mission

I've heard nothing of the 19th story tower since you posted the breif excert. The other hotel planned in the downtown is actually visible in the last rendering of the Aloft. See the Barto building at the end of the block (tallest on the right side of the street) It is to have 3 stories added and be totally gutted

The demolition is proceeding to clear the lot for the hotel. See above for some snap shots.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 10:25 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Nice updates.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 9:37 PM
Me?!?

So I heard that Cumberland County has officially f'd up Corridor One and are not going to be included in any way. A really big shame, and the system will be barely effective now but I can't say that I am surprised at all.

I popped over to the website and it seems to be true, as CC has been totally cut out:

http://www.corridorone.info/Maps.html

http://www.corridorone.info/News.html

What a bunch of morons. Now when Cumberland Co. wants to buy in sometime in the future (which will eventually happen IMO) it will cost them/the taxpayers 3 times as much.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:33 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
So I heard that Cumberland County has officially f'd up Corridor One and are not going to be included in any way. A really big shame, and the system will be barely effective now but I can't say that I am surprised at all.

I popped over to the website and it seems to be true, as CC has been totally cut out:

http://www.corridorone.info/Maps.html

http://www.corridorone.info/News.html

What a bunch of morons. Now when Cumberland Co. wants to buy in sometime in the future (which will eventually happen IMO) it will cost them/the taxpayers 3 times as much.

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but was really busy at work.

I don't think that cumberland county will really want to buy in at any date until they expirence congestion. Congestion in Cumberland county on a commute to work is slowing to 55 on the interstate. The east shore/west shore divide is significant. You grew up on the east shore. West shore is very conservative. What are the biggest population centers in Cumberland County? Shippensburg and Carlisle. Frankly I don't believe there is a demand In cumberland county. Kinda saddens me as I commute to Shippensburg to work, but I believe its true

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:38 AM

Quote:
I wanted to respond to this earlier, but was really busy at work.

I don't think that cumberland county will really want to buy in at any date until they expirence congestion. Congestion in Cumberland county on a commute to work is slowing to 55 on the interstate. The east shore/west shore divide is significant. You grew up on the east shore. West shore is very conservative. What are the biggest population centers in Cumberland County? Shippensburg and Carlisle. Frankly I don't believe there is a demand In cumberland county. Kinda saddens me as I commute to Shippensburg to work, but I believe its true
The biggest population center in Cumberland county by far is the west shore area. But the Cumberland County Commissioners are all from Carlisle and the western part of the county. In the Republican primary earlier this year, there was a supporter of Corridor One from Mechanicsburg and she lost.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 4:18 PM
Man on a mission

sorry I totally blew off Mechanicsburg. I could see them and camp hill using rail into the city but then that is already a short commute. I guess if you could get a monthly pass that cost significantly less than the cost of parking downtown you could convince me to ride the train

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 9:44 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I don't think that cumberland county will really want to buy in at any date until they expirence congestion. Congestion in Cumberland county on a commute to work is slowing to 55 on the interstate.
Huh?!? (see my post below)

Quote:
The east shore/west shore divide is significant. You grew up on the east shore. West shore is very conservative. What are the biggest population centers in Cumberland County? Shippensburg and Carlisle. Frankly I don't believe there is a demand In cumberland county. Kinda saddens me as I commute to Shippensburg to work, but I believe its true
You're right, because it makes so much more sense to wait until the problem is totally out of hand to do anything about it. The CC Comm. are so short-sighted!!! And I see it has already been mentioned, but Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Wormleysburg...LOTS of congestion in these parts!!!

And yes I grew up on the East Shore, but I sat for 5+ yrs. of my life on 581, 83, the Market St. bridge, etc., on the WS when going to/from work and I never, ever went 55 at rush hour...not even close. I know it is even worse now...

Oh well, Cumberland County is a sprawled out, congested mess just like the rest of South Central PA and this was a really dumb move. But this latest move goes to show that the region as a hole still is and thinks very "small town" sadly.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 2:24 PM

progress shots

Last edited by crs921; Sep 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations