HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 3:58 PM

PARIS | Full Summary of Projects

With all the different announcements in the past weeks in French media, I thought it was time to make a general summary of skyscrapers u/c or planned in Paris, for those interested. I preceded them by the number of skyscrapers already built, for perspective. Only skyscrapers above 150 m (492 feet) are mentioned.

As of the end of March 2006:
*12 skyscrapers above 150 m in La Défense and city proper are already built (note: the figure does not include Eiffel Tower)

U/C and planned (March 2006):
*two 180 m (590 ft) skyscrapers in La Défense: under construction (due to be completed in 2007)
*renovation of the 159 m (522 ft) Axa Tower due to be turned into a 220 m (720 ft) skyscraper: renovation starts in 2007
*two 165 m (541 ft) skyscrapers in Levallois-Perret: approved, construction due to start soon
*one 400 m (1,300 ft) skyscraper in La Défense: proposed (approval due by June 2006). This one will have about the same height as NYC Freedom Tower without antemna.
*one 300 m (1,000 ft) skyscraper in La Défense: proposed (approval due by June 2006)
*three to four skyscrapers in the 200 - 250 m (650 - 800 ft) range in La Défense: proposed (approval due by June 2006)
*one 200 m (650 ft) skyscraper by architect Jean Nouvel in La Défense: proposed

All projects are due to be completed by 2015, at which time Greater Paris would have 21 to 23 skyscrapers above 150 m, including the tallest skyscraper in western Europe (400 m), announced as the "signal" tower of the renovated La Défense. At the moment none of these projects appear in the Paris diagrams unfortunately. Maybe someone could add at least the projects for which we already have official renderings.

If the center-right win the 2008 Paris municipal election, building of skyscrapers in the city proper may also be forthcoming. Paris opposition leader, Françoise de Panafieu, said she supported the building of tall skyscrapers on the fringes of the historical center, at the moment hampered by opposition from the Green Party, a key partner of the curent center-left municipal coallition ruling the city.

Last edited by brisavoine; Mar 31, 2006 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine
Paris opposition leader, Françoise de Panafieu, said she supported the building of tall skyscrapers on the fringes of the historical center,
She really said that ? But will she have the guts to do it if she's elected ?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
She really said that ? But will she have the guts to do it if she's elected ?
Time will tell. Eventually there will be skyscrapers built inside the city of Paris proper, it's just a matter of time. French polls show the younger generations are in favor of skyscrapers. Generation change and economic pressure (no more space to build inside the city) will result in the building of skyscrapers inside the city sooner or later. But let's not forget that at the moment there is already a large concentration of skyscrapers in La Défense, which is administratively outside of the city proper.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Time will tell. Eventually there will be skyscrapers built inside the city of Paris proper, it's just a matter of time. French polls show the younger generations are in favor of skyscrapers.
I want to believe that, but I've never heard of such polls.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I want to believe that, but I've never heard of such polls.
Bertrand Delanoë, mayor of Paris, mentioned these polls at the MIPIM in Cannes last month.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 11:46 AM

All right. I don't trust the man.
Do you have more info on Nouvel's project and the renovation of AXA ? (is the height figure just a speculation ?)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 12:59 PM

The exact height of the renovated Axa Tower was officially announced two days ago. Exact roof height will be 225.11 meters (738.55 feet). There will be an antenna on top of the roof, whose exact dimensions are unknown yet (anywhere beteen 30 and 60 meters / 100 and 200 ft). The current Axa Tower is 159 meters (522 feet) tall at roof height, so the renovation means a 66 meters (217 feet) increase in height.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 5:54 PM

Quote:
The exact height of the renovated Axa Tower was officially announced two days ago. Exact roof height will be 225.11 meters (738.55 feet). There will be an antenna on top of the roof, whose exact dimensions are unknown yet (anywhere beteen 30 and 60 meters / 100 and 200 ft).
Great news !
What's the source ?

Who's in charge of the redesign ? I bet it's KPF...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 6:16 PM

Yes, it is KBF. As for the tower's height, it was announced by the Prefecture of the Hauts-de-Seine département.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 6:29 PM

So it's official.
I can't believe that the tallest skyscraper in France has been approved and (almost) nobody knows.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 6:51 PM

Here is the official announcement for the renovated Axa Tower posted at La Défense.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 6:58 PM

And this is how the Paris skyline will look with the renovated Axa Tower (that's the tallest skyscraper in the middle of the cluster).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 2:40 AM
Administrator

Fantastic thread!

Remember... the more renderings, the merrier...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 9:53 AM

So, it's still not approved.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So, it's still not approved.
It has been approved. Now they are waiting for the building permit, which is just a mere formality.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 11:47 AM

Well, for those who like renderings, here is a view of Paris skyline in 2015 when all the projects are completed. The image was made by Metropolitan. The four tallest skyscrapers on the picture have designs unknown yet, so Metropolitan just pasted some skyscrapers from other cities, but their exact location and height is correct (only the exact design is unknown yet). All other skyscrapers on the pictures are real (i.e. already built or under construction). For a sense of proportion, the tallest skyscraper on the picture is as tall as the destroyed World Trade Center in New York (400 meters).

Paris 9 years from now:

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 3:47 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Menara Telekom is building a copy in Paris? And what looks like Roppongi Hills is putting in a new supertall, I see.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 9:39 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

^Those renderings are absolutely incredible. It is great to see so many skyscrapers proposed or under construction in Paris.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 12:40 AM
Community Guy

Is it just me or does anyone else think these are just out of place for grande paris?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 11, 2006, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
Is it just me or does anyone else think these are just out of place for grande paris?
Remember, Metropolitan just pasted skyscraper images from other cities for the tallest few -- but -- IF the new buildings did end up looking like the ones in the skyline compilation above, then I would totally agree with you. Maybe I just don't like their architectural style, but I think you're right that those pretend buildings look out of place in "grande" Paris.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations