HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 7:44 PM

Cool LONG BEACH, CA | Upcoming Projects and Construction

Does anyone have any plans or drawing for a huge $750 Million dollar project in down town Long Beach. It is being done by Lend Lease and involves several city blocks along Ocean Blvd. I saw some plans in a presentation but was unable to get them.

http://www.lbciviccenter.com/images/...aerial_map.jpg

•New City Hall
•New Main Library
•New parking facilities
•Revitalized Lincoln Park
•Incorporation of the original Courthouse site

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 10:37 PM

There is a Long Beach forum on the Pacific West section: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=36914&page=94. Perhaps CityKid has info he can share with you.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 10:39 PM

@Exvan:

Please share any info and photos you have. I grew up next to Long Beach, so I'm interested in anything you can share.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 11:32 PM

All I know about the Civic center is that there has been 3 proposals that have been submitted, one hasn't been chosen yet and the plans haven't been made public yet. The old courthouse site is being rezoned for residential/mixed use and a developer is already eyeing 2 residential high-rises for the site. The city wants to badly tear down the city hall, its out dated and was designed poorly but iconic from its era of time. And there is also a plan to reconnect chestnut street with ocean blvd and the pike which should have been done a long time ago.

All that info was what I read in the press telegram a couple of months ago. I think back in march. There was a whole article about the rezoning of downtown for it to be expanded towards Anaheim street. The big development on Long Beach blvd and Anaheim street was suppose to be the poster child of the rezoning, even though its mostly senior housing, there are 4 more projects in the area that were allowed to be squeezed through to promote high dense redevelopment in the area.

But there is already a thread for long beach as 202 pointed out so this one will be taken down I think. The Long Beach thread doesn't receive that much attention unfortunately.... since not that much is going on in Long Beach currently. When I get new info about Long Beach, I tend to post it on the LA metro thread since more people are on that one.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 6:18 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Long Beach is still So.Cal's sleeper city? Is there a height limit? Too many NIMBYs?

You know what Downtown Long Beach needs? A retro baseball park - ala ATT and Petco. Come on Angels ditch that Anaheim hell hole.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Long Beach is still So.Cal's sleeper city? Is there a height limit? Too many NIMBYs?

You know what Downtown Long Beach needs? A retro baseball park - ala ATT and Petco. Come on Angels ditch that Anaheim hell hole.
What's wrong with the current Anaheim stadium? It's a great location having access to multiple freeways, a train station, other entertainment options, etc. moving the team to long beach would be an epic fail on their part.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 8:21 PM

Long Beach is a cool city. I wouldn't say its a sleeper city though, Its pretty active.... Its actually pretty large on its own. If it were in any other state it would be considered a major city, I heard the Population finally broke the 500k mark last month and it has a pretty nice sized downtown, but the problem is its surroundings kill it from having a bigger role in the California.

You have LA to the north, Orange County to the south east, The LA/Long Beach harbor right at its door steps and the more desirable beaches are all to the west side of LA county and further south in Orange county........ And not to mention its surrounded by some really undesirable locations on 2 sides.... Compton on one side and the port/industrial district on the other....

If I remember correctly, last I checked the height limit was somewhere around 800ft with some towers that were once proposed in the 700 range but thanks to the recession the rest is history.

I think theres currently a 450 footer breaking ground soon. "The current Phase 2" condo tower that will reach 400 I believe but have a 50 foot spire.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
What's wrong with the current Anaheim stadium? It's a great location having access to multiple freeways, a train station, other entertainment options, etc. moving the team to long beach would be an epic fail on their part.
Well it's in Anaheim for starters. An urban ballpark with views of the Pacific and downtown towers would be infinitely more interesting than tired old suburbs and freeways. Plus it would be in back in LA County but close to OC. I don't see how it would be an epic fail for the owners of the team. But it would be an epic win for LB.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:07 PM

I agree. I think if the Angels were to move from Anaheim, Long Beach would be an excellent choice, but only if it was beach front. Still accessible from most of the OC and from LA

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 11:58 PM

Here's a decent website that stays current with Long Beach projects:
http://www.longbeachize.com/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Well it's in Anaheim for starters. An urban ballpark with views of the Pacific and downtown towers would be infinitely more interesting than tired old suburbs and freeways. Plus it would be in back in LA County but close to OC. I don't see how it would be an epic fail for the owners of the team. But it would be an epic win for LB.
What do you mean back in LA County?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:42 AM

Had no idea there was a Long Beach thread! Would be nice to see become more active.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

Again, the Pacific West section of this site has a very extensive Long Beach thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=36914&page=94 .

In other news, LA World Airports is starting FlyAway bus service between LAX and Long Beach.

LOW-COST, NONSTOP FLYAWAY BUS SERVICE BETWEEN LAX AND LONG BEACH TO BEGIN IN DECEMBER
http://www.lawa.aero/newsContent.aspx?ID=2072

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
What do you mean back in LA County?
Basically the team started in Los Angeles around the turn of the 20th Century and eventually became the PCL Los Angeles Angels, then became a full fledged MLB franchise in 1961 and remained in LA until 1966 when they moved to Anaheim.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 8:01 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:

And a new Cyclone Racer rollercoaster.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 5:15 PM

Last edited by cesar90; Mar 17, 2016 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:31 PM

^^^ I love the way Long Beach looks from Bolsa Chica and Huntington Beach.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:36 PM

Video Link

A little to far to get a clear shot (7+miles) but I believe it's the new bridge in LB

Last edited by cesar90; May 19, 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:34 PM

25-story hotel tower planned in Downtown Long Beach

427 guest rooms, 19,000 sf of meeting space, 8,000 sf of restaurant space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations