HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 8:48 PM

Um, mouais... I hope you don't work for the State Department.

Again, that's an Orthodox church. We don't have many of those. The French Republic is officially secular, but doesn't prevent anyone from going to church. It's up to them. Then it's normal for everyone to have a significant church of theirs here.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Um, mouais... I hope you don't work for the State Department.

Again, that's an Orthodox church. We don't have many of those. The French Republic is officially secular, but doesn't prevent anyone from going to church. It's up to them. Then it's normal for everyone to have a significant church of theirs here.
Considering their disgusting anti-gay propaganda is in full swing, it's safe to say I don't exactly have a favorable opinion of that country's government. France can associate with better. But congrats on the relationship I guess.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 5:23 AM

Many countries have houses of worship of those in an area who practice said religion. Historically France and Russia have been friends. The Russian courts of the czars spoke french as well. In Paris, the beautiful pont du Alexandre III was a gift from Russia. Bonds like that should be hard to break.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 4:08 PM

Meh, that might be true for their governments; the general population of the French certainly don't like Russian influence. Putin is essentially a dictator, so I'm not exactly jumping for joy for such a church, but who cares.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 7:04 PM

This is nearly amazing... The church of our sweet Saint Denis finally refurbished, and there's hardly a fucking cross to it. Saint Denis was martyred facing this ugly nasty world, but there's hardly a cross on this church for him, which is sweet. The Holy Cross belongs to the only Lord exclusively.

Why won't you realize, you sorry moron? Why won't you just think for 2 seconds that would change your whole sorry life? The exclusive Lord came to us already, and was martyred from facing the nastiness of random men. He was the only needed sacrifice, and I'm not exactly sure you understand what that means... That means there's no need for any more sacrifice, for the world was saved already anyway. Mwaha! I bet almost all sweet women worshiped Him, but then all sorry pathetic men crucified the Lord.

This church in Saint-Denis, Saine-Saint-Denis, France is most historic in this country. Saint Denis was merely beheaded for his faith in Christ.

Oh, and fuck you if you think I'm only stupidly high, huh. Yes, I used to smoke marijuana, but now I'm only finally myself, which actually feels sweet.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 9:03 PM

Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport goes Chinese!

(just saw this in a video released last week by the Paris Airports authority)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport goes Chinese!

(just saw this in a video released last week by the Paris Airports authority)
Is this good or bad?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Is this good or bad?
I would say that helping people to go where they need to go is good. This is equally true if the people in question are Chinese. I'm sure the airport analyzed what would be the most effective way to improve circulation (CDG is reasonably small considering the passenger volumes) and make the most customers as comfortable as possible.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 1:31 PM

Good news today regarding the Tours Hermitage. In a (grossly biased, as in anti-skyscrapers biased) report on the French channel Canal + (the channel of left-wing Parisian bearded liberals), we've learned that the French administrative supreme court (the Conseil d'Etat) will rule on the final appeal of the tenants still resisting relocation on... December 30!!

If, as is likely, the Conseil d'Etat rejects their final appeal (their appeals were already rejected by the administrative tribunal in July 2012 and then by the administrative court of appeal in October 2014), we will be at the end of the long judicial road regarding this project, and the last 20 or so tenants who resist relocation will become evictable by force starting on April 1, 2016 (when the so-called "Winter truce" ends in France).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 6:27 PM

Nous Sommes Parisiens

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-man View Post
Many countries have houses of worship of those in an area who practice said religion. Historically France and Russia have been friends. The Russian courts of the czars spoke french as well. In Paris, the beautiful pont du Alexandre III was a gift from Russia. Bonds like that should be hard to break.
Every royal court spoke French. So did many of America's "Founding Fathers". There's a reason the term "lingua franca" exists.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 1:33 AM

Final map of the 12 EPTs of the Greater Paris Metropolis. The names are provisional.

The population of each EPT in 2012 as well as the yearly growth rate between 2007 and 2012.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 11:40 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

A photo montage with Hekla tower made by New Brisavoine and Tyu61 of SSC.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:11 AM

^ Looking cool. The location makes a real skyline changer of it anyway, no doubt. Would it be 50m shorter, it'd still look sort of big anyhow. At least, seen from that Central Paris long axis which the Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre sit on, that's to the east of the cluster, as seen on that picture. And only on this side of the axis. If it sat on the other side, the north one, it'd be too short to change anything skyline-wise.

People are obsessed with that most touristy point of view, right? Yet I find the cluster looks bigger and better from the south and the north of it, that is from the surrounding suburban municipalities.

As usual, a main concern goes to the ground level redevelopment. It's absolutely crucial to build something decent and friendly at pedestrian level, so everyone would enjoy the very spot to walk and do some shopping. I don't even remember whether any street shop would be planned, don't think so, unfortunately.

Fingers crossed for the layout and the pedestrian feeling anyway.

This is supposedly an official rendering of the same view they've got on SSC, maybe more realistic.

Heavy massing... Still hard to get anything slender that would look like an arrow to the sky here, but I'll take it the way it is as a booster on that spot of the district.

Last edited by mousquet; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:41 PM

A Look at BIG's 200-Acre EuropaCity

Quote:
Designed by Danish architect Bjarke Ingels Group, the project known as EuropaCity was recently supported by Chinese developer Dalian Wanda Group with a $3.3 billion investment. Scheduled to open in 2024, the complex will offer 230,000 square metres of retail space, 150,000 square metres of entertainment venues — this covers everything from a contemporary circus, a theme park, a water park, and an indoor ski slope to a cultural centre for children — 110,000 square metres of hospitality with 2,700 planned hotel rooms, 50,000 square metres of eating venues, food trucks and farmers' markets, a 20,000 square-metre congress and concert hall with up to 5,000 seats, and more than 10 hectares of public spaces including a seven-hectare urban farm.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 8:36 AM

^ I think it's interesting to roughly spot it on a map of the metro area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonesse

It lies 10 miles north of the central city, at the edge of the more dense inner suburbs, served by only one RER D station and a couple of bus lines for now.

So this is obviously very suburban and most definitely massively car-oriented. There'll be thousands of parkings hidden somewhere in there.

No criticism, however. I like the project that will boost the bunch of suburban towns around and beyond. It's just underlining the diversity of the metro area. Like this thing wouldn't annoy anyone over some post-war affluent suburbia of North America, which is cool.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:29 AM

There must be thousands or so of mid-rises under construction over the metro area. Some are noticeable for various reasons, like this found by Minato.

http://www.batiactu.com/edito/deux-p...iaux-43617.php

Noticeable for that's some social / affordable housing in Aubervilliers, a northern suburb neighboring Central Paris, but still known to be rough. I think it's worth posting to show today's improvement in that matter.

This is what the other side of it looked like while it still was under construction some months ago.

That's a good catch, Minato. The seeming quality of some affordable housing is enjoyable, now. The relevance of more subsidized housing over Aubervilliers is yet another debate, but that building is just looking cool anyway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ I think it's interesting to roughly spot it on a map of the metro area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonesse

It lies 10 miles north of the central city, at the edge of the more dense inner suburbs, served by only one RER D station and a couple of bus lines for now.

So this is obviously very suburban and most definitely massively car-oriented. There'll be thousands of parkings hidden somewhere in there.

No criticism, however. I like the project that will boost the bunch of suburban towns around and beyond. It's just underlining the diversity of the metro area. Like this thing wouldn't annoy anyone over some post-war affluent suburbia of North America, which is cool.
Yes, it does seem really remote. I know it will be transit-accessible from the airport and the city, but there's no residential in the project, so I'm not totally sure who will go there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:00 PM

New Paris Courthouse Now Rising Above the French Capital
Quote:
Several highrise development applications have since been submitted and approved by the city's planning department. Currently under construction on the northeastern edge of the city, the new Palais de Justice designed by Italian architecture firm Renzo Piano Building Workshop is making its way toward its final height of 38 floors and 160 metres above ground level. The tower's total surface of 120,000 squared metres makes it the largest building under construction in France at the moment, with more than 700 construction workers shaping one concrete floor every five days.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateyb View Post
Yes, it does seem really remote. I know it will be transit-accessible from the airport and the city, but there's no residential in the project, so I'm not totally sure who will go there.
Bah, people will drive. It seems big enough to be entertaining, so even dwellers of the inner city will visit it at least once, or more if it's friendly enough.

They take their kids to Disneyland, after all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations