HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15181  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:43 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
We're not getting a Supertall at 8th & Market... that's unrealistic. I wouldn't expect it. The next Supertalls in Philadelphia will be around 30th Street Station in the form of Schuylkill Yards and the capping of the Powelton Yards.

However, I would say it's realistic to expect something the size of FMC Tower 8th & Market. I think on the portion of the lot facing Market Street, we could expect a 700-800 footer, and a 500-600 footer. This will be a mix of office, residential, hotel and retail in two towers. On the lot at 8th and Chestnut, we can realistically expect a 300-400 foot residential tower.



I'm sorry I can't remember what mid rise department store was located at 8th.&Market before it became the mine boggling waste land glutinous joke that it has been since
the 8o's... ?... 70's... ?... or when ever , but a lot of contributors to this site have made their feelings known ( me being one ) . I think there is more in play here than what
meets the eye .
I fear this great location is going to be held hostage for longer than the next three years , and for a shit load more money .
Your expectations , desires , dreams of something in the above 300 ft. range are IMO ,... a bridge too far . If you see the present Market St. East projects ( near PSFS , Loews )
The second tower is topping out at 284' ....... Maybe we should all plan on something around that tall ..... if and when anything gets built there in the next 5/10 years .

I'm just as pissed as anyone else hoping for big beautiful things at this corner ..... but no-one with inside information gives a shit about how pissed I am .....
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15182  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:52 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
I'm sorry I can't remember what mid rise department store was located at 8th.&Market before it became the mine boggling waste land glutinous joke that it has been since
the 8o's... ?... 70's... ?... or when ever , but a lot of contributors to this site have made their feelings known ( me being one ) . I think there is more in play here than what
meets the eye .
I fear this great location is going to be held hostage for longer than the next three years , and for a shit load more money .
Your expectations , desires , dreams of something in the above 300 ft. range are IMO ,... a bridge too far . If you see the present Market St. East projects ( near PSFS , Loews )
The second tower is topping out at 284' ....... Maybe we should all plan on something around that tall ..... if and when anything gets built there in the next 5/10 years .

I'm just as pissed as anyone else hoping for big beautiful things at this corner ..... but no-one with inside information gives a shit about how pissed I am .....
The residential towers in the East Market development topping out at 284 feet means absolutely nothing. There are plenty of apartment towers built in Philadelphia over the past few years that are indeed in the 300-400 foot range. Those include 2116 Chestnut which is 379 feet tall, the Alexander at 1601 Vine which is 370 feet tall, and Evo which is 430 feet tall. 1919 Market is also 337 feet tall. 3601 Market is 320 feet tall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15183  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:01 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The residential towers in the East Market development topping out at 284 feet means absolutely nothing. There are plenty of apartment towers built in Philadelphia over the past few years that are indeed in the 300-400 foot range. Those include 2116 Chestnut which is 379 feet tall, the Alexander at 1601 Vine which is 370 feet tall, and Evo which is 430 feet tall. 1919 Market is also 337 feet tall. 3601 Market is 320 feet tall.
He's likely just referring to East Market. But even so, I think this location is ripe for bigger (and taller) things. There is a tall tower proposed at 13th and Market (albeit not residential), we've got the East Market development, FOP, the revitalization of Chestnut Street, filling in of Washington Square area and Old City further down, etc...the climate is markedly different than it was just a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15184  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:35 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
He's likely just referring to East Market. But even so, I think this location is ripe for bigger (and taller) things. There is a tall tower proposed at 13th and Market (albeit not residential), we've got the East Market development, FOP, the revitalization of Chestnut Street, filling in of Washington Square area and Old City further down, etc...the climate is markedly different than it was just a few years ago.


Yep , you are correct sir . My statement ( argument ) was with regard to East Market . In this case , 8th.& Market in particular .... Also , I
wasn't referring to a particular type of high rise , office , condo , retail or whatever . None of summers above mentioned projects are any
where near East Market , let alone 8th, & Market ..... But I'm a forgiving type of soul .......

PS ; Darren Dalton .... 1-3-62 / 8-6-17 R.I.P
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !

Last edited by Gonzo the Great; Aug 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15185  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 1:13 PM
TallCoolOne's Avatar
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phila., PA
Posts: 1,305
Rooftop amenities are coming along! One Franklin Tower conversion:




I second Gonzo's reply... RIP Dutch Daulton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15186  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:27 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
Awesome shot TallCoolOne! Loving that density
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15187  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 2:37 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
8th and Market site to remain a parking lot—for now

Quote:
Despite the sheer amount of development and construction underway just down the street, the large parking lot at 8th and Market will remain that way—for now.

Philadelphia Business Journal reports that the parking lot’s owner Goldenberg Group hopes to develop the site into something more, but not for another three years.

On July 25, the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) granted the developer’s request to receive a three-year extension on its parking lot permit, which allows for 292 parking spaces. The variance is needed because the site is zoned CMX-5, which allows for the highest and most dense development.

The extension is set to expire on January 21, 2021.

That’s when Goldenberg Group hopes a development deal will come up to turn the site into something more, with the idea that it’s one of the last remaining development sites on the Market East corridor. Goldenberg said:

"We believe the right project has to combine a fabulous retail and entertainment hub that activates the street frontage for pedestrians, with significant tower components that add vitality to the corridor and neighborhood."

By that point, both the two towers at the $600 million mixed-use development East Market and the renovation of the Gallery into the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia across the street will have opened.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/7/1...re-development
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15188  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:16 PM
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
8th and Market site to remain a parking lot—for now



https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/7/1...re-development
With THAT zoning, it'd be a sin not to put something >650 ft there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15189  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:59 PM
Scottydont Scottydont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
With THAT zoning, it'd be a sin not to put something >650 ft there.
You know what, I don't mind this non-development story. Let East Market and the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia get completed and really start to transform the area. Maybe this will drive up interest in developing that spot and by the time the lease is up in 2021, we can get something nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15190  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:50 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
You know what, I don't mind this non-development story. Let East Market and the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia get completed and really start to transform the area. Maybe this will drive up interest in developing that spot and by the time the lease is up in 2021, we can get something nice.
I agree. We'll be stuck with whatever is built there for a long time. So, I'm ok waiting a little longer for something worthy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15191  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:27 AM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
You know what, I don't mind this non-development story. Let East Market and the Fashion Outlets of Philadelphia get completed and really start to transform the area. Maybe this will drive up interest in developing that spot and by the time the lease is up in 2021, we can get something nice.
Small detail----there's no lease regarding this property, at least none that I can imagine, just a zoning variance that runs thru 2021. I would be quite sure that if Goldenberg want to build something before 2021 he could---meaning the present parking operation wouldn't stop plans from moving forward. But likewise there's probably no reason to believe the City wouldn't give another 3 year extension to the zoning variance if one were to be requested.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15192  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 1:14 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
Philadelphia


JAK_1103 by Jack Silver, on Flickr


JAK_1107 by Jack Silver, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15193  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:56 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
Historic Dilworth House on Washington Square still seeks development

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/8/1...pment-for-sale
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15194  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 8:40 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Why Cloudamize's acquisition is good for Greater Philadelphia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...r-greater.html
How Cloudamize yielded '52% a year' for local investors
Quote:
The yearly return on investment, gross of investment fees, was 52 percent, says George Krautzel, partner at MissionOG, the Market Street-based group of early-2000s tech-company founders that led Cloudamize’s $1.2 million capital raising four years ago.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20170807.html

Not only is it great that the acquiring company has already committed to remaining and expanding in Philly, but some local investors really cashed in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15195  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:18 PM
kingtut kingtut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 130
WOW !!!! Almost 900 million investments in Philly Bio companies in one week .
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20170809.html *







* post scrip The state and the city must take measure's to keep these companies in the city and hire philly workers . Way too many start -ups have left the state after being scoped up by Cali bio companies . Start here stay here .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15196  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:47 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,102
Broad and Lombard - Health Center No. 1 nominated for historic designation while development awaits

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/9/1...ter-nomination
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15197  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 11:56 AM
1487 1487 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Broad and Lombard - Health Center No. 1 nominated for historic designation while development awaits

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/9/1...ter-nomination
ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15198  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:08 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
ridiculous.
Agreed. While there is a certain appeal to the building, I almost guarantee what was there before it was superior in at least building materials and urban form. While I like the rounded corners, because the building isn't even sited on the corner, no good way to even preserve it.
__________________
I am a liar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15199  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:37 PM
1487 1487 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,342
what is the current crane count? I counted 9 off top of my head.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15200  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:54 PM
BrenSalsa BrenSalsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
what is the current crane count? I counted 9 off top of my head.
No clue, but we need more.
I want Philly's skyline looking like Dubai's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.