HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I was under the impression that they only wanted the top floor? It would make sense because a theater doesn't really rely on walk in traffic.

Not needing to be right on the street makes some sense, but I was assuming the theater would need two floors to accommodate stadium type seating.

All in all, this project feels to me like its still trying to find its focus. It seems like the owners have 50% of their dance card filled and are trying to figure out how to fill the rest without turning off the people they already have.

My answer-----go ahead and build 600 apartment units on top of the existing buildings and much of the market will be living right there. Now, where is that $100M I had laying around here-------------------

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I've been meaning to post this picture of the sand sculpture at Liberty Place:

(I wonder if they were just not paying attention to the source of whatever picture they were copying from to realize one of the buildings doesn't actually exist.)
I work in that building and just took a picture yesterday because of the inclusion of ACC

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Definitely agree with that! I would rather have all of those surface parking lots knocked out before we see anything happen on the 2300 block of Market, as sad of a stretch as it is. 22nd Street Station could use some of the much-needed new ridership resulting from the development of those blocks.

If we do get something over there, I would hope that a developer, whether it turns out to be PMC or not, use the facades of the current buildings while constructing something at least as tall as the PECO Building.
I would also like to see something at the height, especially if (if I recall correctly) 2100 Market got drastically downsized and pushed back. It would be nice for something to be taller in that area, as the PECO Building (where my grandfather once worked) is kind of out there by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
yeah , and built by the same crew that molded that sand castle ...
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating... and it gets everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:23 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating... and it gets everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Not needing to be right on the street makes some sense, but I was assuming the theater would need two floors to accommodate stadium type seating.

All in all, this project feels to me like its still trying to find its focus. It seems like the owners have 50% of their dance card filled and are trying to figure out how to fill the rest without turning off the people they already have.

My answer-----go ahead and build 600 apartment units on top of the existing buildings and much of the market will be living right there. Now, where is that $100M I had laying around here-------------------
Retail in Philly, and more broadly nationwide, is starting to go through a tough period right now.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 11:36 PM

Ok , unrelated to the currents subject matter .... So I'm watching channel 6 news a while back and they had a shot
of center city that I believe was recorded from some roof top at Temple U. It is one of the better center city inclusive
views I have seen ...... That got to wondering , has anyone ever tried to shoot the city from the zoo ballon
I think that might be quite a perspective we haven't enjoyed yet ..... or has it been done , and I was just asleep at
the helm .....

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:19 PM
Hello

Walt Whitman Bridge painters live the high life

Carol Comegno, @CarolComegno Published 9:41 a.m. ET Aug. 18, 2017 | Updated 8:44 p.m. ET Aug. 19, 2017

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ers/545314001/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
Walt Whitman Bridge painters live the high life

Carol Comegno, @CarolComegno Published 9:41 a.m. ET Aug. 18, 2017 | Updated 8:44 p.m. ET Aug. 19, 2017

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ers/545314001/
Does anyone know the origin of the death, puke, horror hospital green color that was chosen for this bridge? Did the designer hate Philadelphia or something? Paint it crisp Phillies Red, light it at night and we have our own landmark version of the golden gate.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Does anyone know the origin of the death, puke, horror hospital green color that was chosen for this bridge? Did the designer hate Philadelphia or something? Paint it crisp Phillies Red, light it at night and we have our own landmark version of the golden gate.
Honestly. I could not believe they decided to go for the same color in the repaint. I was hoping for the same light blue that is used in the Ben Franklin and the Philadelphia Flag. But Phillies Red would have been cool. Really anything other than this color.

Sometimes though I feel like shit like this is typical in this town. Did anyone actually choose this color, it feels like bridge default and no one cared enough to even think for a moment about what the possibilities could be.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ Was it 10 or 11 Penn that was going to have work done on the lobby to provide more retail/restaurant amenities? Did anything ever come of that?
Speaking of expanded retail on West Market, seems like 1700 Market is looking to get their two story retail addition back on track as part of their renovation process:

Quote:
Shorenstein Properties plans to dust off plans to construct a two-story glass retail box connected to 1700 Market St., a 32-story, 848,000-square-foot Center City office building it bought in 2016.

The project, which has been talked about for years, was fully designed, priced and ready to go, but two restaurants that had been secured for the space decided to bail. Now, with renewed interest from other restaurants and a plan to plow $7 million in other renovations to the office building, Shorenstein is looking to revisit the project.

“We don’t have anything signed yet, but we have some serious tenants interested in the first and second floors,” said Chris Caltabiano, senior vice president of asset management at Shorenstein.

Key to getting that project done is landing a tenant for the second floor, which can be a hard sell, he said. The first floor is an easy lift but to maximize benefits granted by what has been approved, it doesn’t make sense to develop a single-story building, Caltabiano said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e-revived.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

28 Story Condo Building at Northeast corner of Broad and Pine

New 28 Story Condo Propsal at Northeast corner of Broad and Pine

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-at-broad-pine

Interesting. Though seems even less likely SLS is happening anytime soon if they move forward with this fittest.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
New 28 Story Condo Propsal at Northeast corner of Broad and Pine

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-at-broad-pine

Interesting. Though seems even less likely SLS is happening anytime soon if they move forward with this fittest.
Isn't that the site for the Hyde Hotel? Seems like he's shifting gears from hotel to condo, but same location and similar size.
Right.. see ShadowBat's post on Hyde thread..

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Speaking of expanded retail on West Market, seems like 1700 Market is looking to get their two story retail addition back on track as part of their renovation process:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e-revived.html
Thanks. I was wondering about this the other night when on date night with my wife at Gran Caffe L'Aquila around the corner.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Isn't that the site for the Hyde Hotel? Seems like he's shifting gears from hotel to condo, but same location and similar size.
Right.. see ShadowBat's post on Hyde thread..
You're right. Damn, the article makes it sound like a brew proposal. Can't decide if this change makes SLS more or less likely.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
You're right. Damn, the article makes it sound like a brew proposal. Can't decide if this change makes SLS more or less likely.

No , for a long time now , I have believed this fairy tale has about as much chance
becoming anything more than another parking lot , as the ACC project had a chance
in the down turn in the economy ...... You all remember the ACC project .... right ??

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:13 PM

Sneak Peek: Philly’s new Aloft Hotel in the old Liberty Title building

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/21/...uilding-photos

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:21 PM

Pier 122 in South Philadelphia gets a new life handling autos

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20170822.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:29 PM

This article appears to contradict some of the popular opinions on this forum. As usual, the facts are in the middle somewhere and what you want to believe may depend on your perspective.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...TAt?li=BBnbfcN

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
This article appears to contradict some of the popular opinions on this forum. As usual, the facts are in the middle somewhere and what you want to believe may depend on your perspective.
Perspective has a lot to do with it. I'm an urbanist, but a realist. My wife and I have seven young kids. We aren't going to fit into two Priuses, let alone one. Riding transit may be doable, but not fun. A van or SUV is the only practical mode of transportation. While I'm sure it would be interesting to honor our ancestors' way of life by squeezing everyone into a row house, a roomier craftsman-style house with a back yard is more functional for us. At least it is within walking distance of my office and restaurants. "Suburban" is a broad term. It isn't all a bunch of Levittowns.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator1 View Post
As a millennial, I'm sick of reading articles on millennials...they so badly want to fit a massive group into a box and declare that we all do the exact same thing - like eat f*cking avocado toast. Everybody has their own goals in life, some will live the single life in the city for a long time, some will get married and have kids in the suburbs, some will travel the world and never settle down. First, the suburbs were going to die an agonizing death, now, everybody is buying SUVs and living the suburban life their parents did, I've already seen articles about how cities will now grind to a halt and start their spiral. It's ridiculous and annoying. Isn't it time to start focusing on generation Z?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations