HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:03 PM

Combine Schuylkill Yards with the 30th Street Master Plan... and I don't know how Bezo's couldnt be more excited. He gets his own imprint smack in the middle of some of the best Universities in the world and some of the best transit access in the nation. All the legwork between the 2 projects, is like a shining silver platter waiting to be delivered. Pennsylvania is not totally inept when it comes to attracting business. Yes, the state can do a much better job, but Comcast would not be making the billions of investments in the state, if there was not a pro business climate. Massachusetts and New York really do not fair that much better in relation to business friendly policies. They prosper because of their capital and talent pools.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
I can't imagine they were concerned about any city's arbitrary boundaries. Boston and its adjacent cities effectively work as one.
All of the articles explicitly say "city" not metro area and the Times notes only a handful of cities meet that criteria, which would not be the case if it meant metro areas.

So let's hope they strictly mean cities, or else Philly will have a lot more competition out there, despite its very strong offering.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsiegel View Post
All of the articles explicitly say "city" not metro area and the Times notes only a handful of cities meet that criteria, which would not be the case if it meant metro areas.

So let's hope they strictly mean cities, or else Philly will have a lot more competition out there, despite its very strong offering.
The RFP on Amazon's site says "metropolitan area" of 1m+....not city.

Anyone who thinks Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas City, etc aren't in the running are mislead. Philly has advantages over them....we just need to be strong about positioning ourselves.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:31 PM

The RFP provides a break down of the location and size specifics:

Quote:
Within 30 miles of population center
Within 45 minutes of an international airport
1-2 miles from major highways
Mass transit on site

500,000 sq ft. requested by 2019
8,000,000 Total sq ft by 2027
And going further on priority for consideration:
Quote:
1.) Existing buildings of at least 500,000+ sq. ft., meeting the core requirements described
above and that are expandable or have additional options for development nearby.
2. A greenfield site of approximately 100 acres certified or pad ready, with utility infrastructure
in place. The sites do not have to be contiguous, but should be in proximity to each other to
foster a sense of place and be pedestrian-friendly.
3. Other infill, existing buildings, including opportunities for renovation/redevelopment and
greenfield sites, meeting the proximity and logistics requirements of the Project. This can
also be a combination of the above.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post

Anyone who thinks Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas City, etc aren't in the running are mislead. Philly has advantages over them....we just need to be strong about positioning ourselves.
Well that's an onion in the ointment. I think Philly's asset that no other city has is its proximity to DC and NY, with significantly lower prices.

I'd be shocked if they chose NY, but I could see a more central city like Chicago or Austin getting picked and sadly I think Boston is most likely to give us a run for our money-they already have two smaller Amazon offices in the area.

It'd be smart for city and state leaders to wrangle in Comcast to cheerlead for us. That's an incredible asset that few other cities have and Schuylkill Yards has the potential to be unbeatable. At the end of the day, it's going to be whatever packages a city can offer though.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:40 PM

I think the area north of 30th St. Station might appeal to Amazon if they are looking to build a 'campus' and not just a office tower. That area has room to build whatever they want presently and still have room to grow. Plus, what better, more noticeable spot for a trophy building or two.

I wonder if the argument could be made to give, free of land costs, the development rights for building over the active tracks (its not like that area 'costs' Amtrak anything!) in exchange for the idea that a large complex of buildings is going to increase train travel, which Amtrak certain does care about. This might offset the addition building costs related to building at that area, and be a jump start for development.

What are other cities offering?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:15 PM

Within 30 miles of population center
Yes for Schuylkill Yards or Navy Yard
Within 45 minutes of an international airport
1-2 miles from major highways
Mass transit on site
Yes for Schuylkill Yards, but kind of lacking for Navy Yard. Has the 17 bus.

500,000 sq ft. requested by 2019
Seems possible for both Schuylkill Yards or Navy Yard?
8,000,000 Total sq ft by 2027
Schuylkill Yards site says 7m sq ft, but then there's the 30th street station master plan.

1.) Existing buildings of at least 500,000+ sq. ft., meeting the core requirements described
above and that are expandable or have additional options for development nearby.
Yes for Schuylkill Yards

2. A greenfield site of approximately 100 acres certified or pad ready, with utility infrastructure
in place. The sites do not have to be contiguous, but should be in proximity to each other to
Anyone know how to interpret this? I think Schuylkill Yards + 30th street ends up being 100 acres.

3. Other infill, existing buildings, including opportunities for renovation/redevelopment and
greenfield sites, meeting the proximity and logistics requirements of the Project. This can
also be a combination of the above.
Yes

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post

Anyone know how to interpret this? I think Schuylkill Yards + 30th street ends up being 100 acres.
My thought is that SY is more or less pad ready. Buildings need to be razed but the infrastructure is there. However, over at the 30th Master Plan there is still substantial infrastructure required to build over a busy railroad artery before you even get off the "new" ground level.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:39 PM

Schuykill yards has about 85-90 acres of adjacent development site once the platform is built. So it's fair game.

Honestly I think Schuykill Yards is the best shot the region has outside Wilmington DE. They are looking for +100 acres with potential to build up to 8M square feet of space over 10 years. Oh, it also has to be directly on top of a rail line or major transit system, with arterial roads, and under 45min to an international airport. You can't just plop 100 acres of open land into manhattan, brooklyn, or even queens. I'm not as familiar with Boston but I'm pretty sure they don't have that level of space available with all the characteristics desired. If you look at their timeline also it's incredibly fast. The want the RFPs back by late October with a decision made in 2018 which means development would get going by the end of the year or early 2019. That's INCREDIBLY fast. I suppose Northern VA or Maryland outside the beltway could also be potential contenders.

The only other spot I would think has great potential is Pittsburgh. Google & Uber located there for similar reasons.

Those are the 3 big shots I think PA or the Phila MSA has.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsiegel View Post
Well that's an onion in the ointment. I think Philly's asset that no other city has is its proximity to DC and NY, with significantly lower prices.

I'd be shocked if they chose NY, but I could see a more central city like Chicago or Austin getting picked and sadly I think Boston is most likely to give us a run for our money-they already have two smaller Amazon offices in the area.

It'd be smart for city and state leaders to wrangle in Comcast to cheerlead for us. That's an incredible asset that few other cities have and Schuylkill Yards has the potential to be unbeatable. At the end of the day, it's going to be whatever packages a city can offer though.
They seem to be asking for a lot in their RFP (100 acres and 8m sq ft?). Boston is probably the main competition; specifically their seaport project. I'm not sure what other large metro areas have huge redevelopment projects sitting so close to both their downtown and transportation hubs. NY has Hudson yards, but I don't know if it checks all the boxes.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:58 PM

Camden has the kind of space they are looking for too. SY is really a unique opportunity for them though. If Philly would help knock down some of the barriers, that is a chance for Amazon to completely design a section of the city around their business. It could be insane.

The thought of having Amazon and Comcast anchored in Philly blows my mind. Philly would be positioned for a very different future with that massive change.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Camden has the kind of space they are looking for too. SY is really a unique opportunity for them though. If Philly would help knock down some of the barriers, that is a chance for Amazon to completely design a section of the city around their business. It could be insane.

The thought of having Amazon and Comcast anchored in Philly blows my mind. Philly would be positioned for a very different future with that massive change.
I'm not sure Camden does have the space or the infrastructure. To put in perspective they want enough space to fill all of our 90s trophy towers.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySteaks View Post
Schuykill yards has about 85-90 acres of adjacent development site once the platform is built. So it's fair game.

Honestly I think Schuykill Yards is the best shot the region has outside Wilmington DE. They are looking for +100 acres with potential to build up to 8M square feet of space over 10 years. Oh, it also has to be directly on top of a rail line or major transit system, with arterial roads, and under 45min to an international airport. You can't just plop 100 acres of open land into manhattan, brooklyn, or even queens. I'm not as familiar with Boston but I'm pretty sure they don't have that level of space available with all the characteristics desired. If you look at their timeline also it's incredibly fast. The want the RFPs back by late October with a decision made in 2018 which means development would get going by the end of the year or early 2019. That's INCREDIBLY fast. I suppose Northern VA or Maryland outside the beltway could also be potential contenders.

The only other spot I would think has great potential is Pittsburgh. Google & Uber located there for similar reasons.

Those are the 3 big shots I think PA or the Phila MSA has.
Does Wilmington have a large-scale project like Schuylkill Yards? The only thing I know about Boston is that they have the Boston Seaport development, which is a lot of land but I don't know how much is left (lots of companies already moved in). It's also right next to South Station (Amtrak station) and has a couple sliver line stops (underground bus rapid transit). Baltimore recently announced Port Covington, but I don't know how realistic it is given the time-frame and the fact there is basically no transit there yet.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:18 PM

@PhillyMayor We think Philadelphia would be a PRIME location for Amazon that would make people SMILE! Look forward to submitting a proposal!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Does Wilmington have a large-scale project like Schuylkill Yards? The only thing I know about Boston is that they have the Boston Seaport development, which is a lot of land but I don't know how much is left (lots of companies already moved in). It's also right next to South Station (Amtrak station) and has a couple sliver line stops (underground bus rapid transit). Baltimore recently announced Port Covington, but I don't know how realistic it is given the time-frame and the fact there is basically no transit there yet.
I don't think they are targeting places that specifically have these types of in place designs ready. Don't get me wrong it's a great leg up to have something of the sort - but yes I'm sure Wilmington could come up with the space. They also offer extremely competitive tax rates, access to an international airport and interstate highways, proximity to amtrak lines, and a multitude of universities. I wouldn't rule them out. Their big drawback is being adjacent to those universities and talent pools - but similiar to the banking sector down there. People will go to them - that is also why some Midwestern locations shouldn't be ruled out either. Most of their drawbacks though include concentration of universities. You could probably narrow down a short list of potential suitors by filtering all the 1 million population MSAs in the country outside of the West Coast - which I'd think they'd want to stretch out a little further? But who knows.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:32 PM

Schuylkill Yards is a NO BRAINER for Amazon...

It's up to our City, the State, Brandywine, Drexel, Penn, Comcast, and even Amtrak to show them this.

This is basically 7M+ square feet ready to go. What other city can say this?

What other location in the country is ready for this much developable space directly next to two top tier schools in UPenn and Drexel, as well as a large research campus in the University City Science Center, and directly next to the downtown of a major city and major metropolitan region? This is also directly next to highway access, and 30th Street Station with subway, regional rail and AMTRAK access... all of which will take you to the Philadelphia International Airport, the Newark International Airport, New York City, DC, Boston, Baltimore, etc. etc....

This site not only connects you to Philadelphia and it's region, but the entire Northeastern United States and beyond. Amazon would have easy access to almost every top tier school along the entire Eastern seaboard for an endless talent pool.

Landing Amazon would instantly speed up the timeline of not only Schuylkill Yards, but 30th Street Station district as well... and likely many other Office project proposals as well like uCity Square, 1301 Market, etc... as this would take a ton of potential office space off of the market.

Let's make it happen! This would be a GAME changer for Philadelphia, and I really don't think any other city currently has what Philadelphia can offer to Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:37 PM

Hell, I would be ok with them renaming it Amazon Yards if it brought them here...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Hell, I would be ok with them renaming it Amazon Yards if it brought them here...
Yes, 100% yes.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yes, 100% yes.
He'll, I'd get an Amazon tramp stamp if it was a requirement.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:

Seattle is a great city - but doesn't have the elite higher-ed/research cluster available that's needed to replenish and refuel it's talent pool year to year. There's basically one major school there - UW - and with due respect to the Huskies it's not exactly Stanford. So places like Amazon have to fight tooth and nail with Silicon Valley to attract Palo Alto talent up to Seattle - which can't be easy. Plus, their neighbor - a 2 ton elephant in the room (Microsoft) - is in the exact same boat and both companies compete for elite recruits.

That's why you'll see Amazon constantly recruiting on national job boards for talent from all over the country - with the disclaimer "Relocation Opportunity." To me, this is about:

1) being more competitive for elite recruits. (You graduate Stanford and you have 2 job offers: Google or Amazon, which one are you taking?)

2) establish an east coast beach head for further expansion into the 2nd largest global economy (the EU) as well as strengthen ties to political elites and corporate regulators.

As have noted, Philly is in an insane position - with its surplus of higher-ed/research institutions and proximity to DC/NYC/LHR/CDG etc. - it's nearly shovel ready project near said higher-ed/research institutions... - to land a whale.

God, for just this once, could our proximity to NYC and DC pay off for us?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations