HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:44 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
Thoughts on all the new hotels, if the economy turns down? Paradigm might be, cheap hotels bring people with a budget...
Just some crazy thoughts.....cheaper hotels might decrease the need for Airbnb and free up more affordable housing space. And that is desperately needed. This might encourage more tech people to come and support recession resistant industries.

Like I said, crazy.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:16 AM

Ah well, economy is BOOMING right now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:59 PM

Locals will recognize the octagon shaped, 50 Music Square West 10 story office building that has been virtually abandoned for years now. Well, it is about to receive the craziest makeover and become a square shaped tower housing a Tapestry Hotel by Hilton.

The news from the Hilton Web Site....
Quote:
ATLANTA and MCLEAN, Va. - Hotel Equities (HE), the hospitality industry’s premier hotel management and development company, and Tapestry Collection by Hilton, revealed plans to transform Nashville’s iconic United Artists Tower into an upscale, 184-room boutique hotel under the Tapestry Collection by Hilton brand. The property, owned by Sai Ram 009 LLC, is located at 50 Music Square West in the heart of Nashville’s famed Music Row in close proximity to music titans BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, CMA and Curb Records to name a few.

Music Row’s famed United Artists Tower was originally constructed in 1974 by two members of Elvis Presley’s backup band, The Jordanaires, and served as office and recording studio space for decades. At nine-stories tall, it remains the tallest building on Music Row, affording 360-degree views of Music City. Transformation of the 56,700 square foot building is scheduled to begin by the end of this year.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 5:16 PM

Regarding the 'RIVER NORTH' development, the TENNESSEAN has this report about funding for road and infrastructure improvements included in the Mayor's budget which was approved last night......

Quote:
In a push to help a massive new private development on the east bank, the spending plan dedicates $20 million to infrastructure work for the overhaul of the Cowan Street area, site of the ambitious 105-acre River North Nashville project.
River North is envisioned as a mix of urban residential, retail and commercial space.
The $20 million in public money would go toward new streets, a revamped intersection at Cowan and Jefferson streets and other infrastructure work.
Here is my card of the original plan which will no doubt be very fluid as builder prospects customize their building needs requirements.

An updated plan (my card again)....showing phase 1 with the location of the marina and Top Golf and a pedestrian bridge across the Cumberland and vehicular bridge across I-24 to the established neighborhoods of East Nashville.

A view from the SKY5 copter showing the development (cluster of warehouses in center on left/east side of river) to downtown which is a couple of miles away by car. The warehouses have been cleared off and the site is 'shovel ready'.

And finally, a card I had made some months ago (which was quoted verbatim in the TENNESSEAN at the time) regarding the easy access to 10's of thousands of existing single family houses in case a Fortune 500 firm was considering locating there and wanted nearby, non-transit related, accessible housing stock. Disregard the light rail line, it is on temporary delay

Regardless of how you interpret these tea leaves or connect the dots, the funding of infrastructure improvements by the city will help start this historically significant development and likely change the Nashville skyline regardless of who moves in.

:

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 17, 2018 at 5:43 PM. Reason: Replaced skyline photo with correct view

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Regarding the 'RIVER NORTH' development, the TENNESSEAN has this report about funding for road and infrastructure improvements included in the Mayor's budget which was approved last night......

Here is my card of the original plan which will no doubt be very fluid as builder prospects customize their building needs requirements.

An updated plan (my card again)....showing phase 1 with the location of the marina and Top Golf and a pedestrian bridge across the Cumberland and vehicular bridge across I-24 to the established neighborhoods of East Nashville.

A view from the SKY5 copter showing the development (cluster of warehouses in center on left/east side of river) to downtown which is a couple of miles away by car. The warehouses have been cleared off and the site is 'shovel ready'.

And finally, a card I had made some months ago (which was quoted verbatim in the TENNESSEAN at the time) regarding the easy access to 10's of thousands of existing single family houses in case a Fortune 500 firm was considering locating there and wanted nearby, non-transit related, accessible housing stock. Disregard the light rail line, it is on temporary delay

Regardless of how you interpret these tea leaves or connect the dots, the funding of infrastructure improvements by the city will help start this historically significant development and likely change the Nashville skyline regardless of who moves in.

:
Very credible rumors have this as Amazon and Morgan Stanley.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:58 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
What? You're joking.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I also certainly hope you are on to something and not joking. My post was strictly meant to highlight the City's involvement in moving a great project forward. However, AHQ2 is the gorilla in the room in the 17 shortlisted metros, and I had to mention it passingly.

Regardless of who fills the buildings, this project will be a pivotal moment in Nashville's growth and development as the urban area expands well beyond the current urban boundaries. Nashville is a great city without Amazon and will attract many world headquarters because of it's awesome quality of life, although, like all growing cities we need to address crime, income inequality and housing affordability.

I have no guess as to where AHQ2 will go, but I'm not going to casually dismiss Nashville's chances either. I can't find any discussion about a Morgan Stanley move other than a potential move to upper westside Manhattan to Hudson Yards, but the Alliance Bernstein move to Nashville certainly came out of nowhere.

We keep winning too much!

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:59 AM

Talked to "source" myself tonight. A close friend of a friend. She seems quite confused abt. where she heard this news. Although she moved here from Seattle in May. Either she's out of loop or intentionally evasive. So I'm scratching this one off till I get better intel.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Talked to "source" myself tonight. A close friend of a friend. She seems quite confused abt. where she heard this news. Although she moved here from Seattle in May. Either she's out of loop or intentionally evasive. So I'm scratching this one off till I get better intel.
Thanks for sharing about your source. Maybe she's intentionally evasive now. She seems to have offered some specific information at one point,

I had pretty much written off Nashville chances, but I'm now a little intrigued by some of the recent news.

The relocation of the Bridgestone North America Headquarters to Nashville was one of the best kept secrets a few years ago. No one heard a peep even though the sale of the land and design of the tower had been in the works for many months. I keep looking for some hint that there is some small AHQ2 actions taking place somewhere, as in Cities doing infrastructure on a large shovel ready 100 acre site, but it is very quiet. I think the eventual recipient of the development should get a hint soon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:21 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
What? You're joking.
Credible or not, it's still just a rumor.

-sb

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:44 PM

Amazon or no Amazon, I'm glad to see that there is movement in the River North project. I don't think the city would be putting money into redevelopment of the infrastructure if there were no serious commitments to moving forward with the project.

While I still wish River North was between Jefferson and James Robertson, or splitting James Robertson and going south of Shelby, I'm really excited about the prospect of the entire East Bank being fully developed someday. Granted, I probably want be around to see it. But I relish in the idea that the core will jump over the river making the river a greater asset to the downtown community. With proper flood control planning, the east bank can become a beautiful stretch of residential and commercial development with entertainment, restaurants and shopping lining the rivers edge.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:47 AM

Even if River North is half the height we might all hope for(instead of topped out 38 tallest, yall get something like topped out 23 tallest for the area), it will still be a grand addition to the city. Nashville seems to get some grief on SSP because of its anti urban past and density. However, with downtown, SB, Gultch, Midtown and possibly RN(among other smaller areas), Nashville could very easily become a pretty urban dense city with real options. It just needs some time, continued growth, and some good leadership.

I love the city, yall are lucky to live there!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:23 AM

It's official. The 26 story office building under construction in the Fifth + Broad development downtown will be the home of the relocated Alliance Bernstein Headquarters. The company's name will be atop the building.

From the TENNESSEAN....
Quote:
New York City-based investment firm AllianceBernstein signed a lease Wednesday to occupy eight top floors of a new building in the sprawling Fifth + Broadway development under construction in downtown Nashville.
Its global headquarters will take over floors 18 to 25 in a 26-story office tower at 501 Commerce, officials said Thursday. It's expected to open in 2020.
From the TENNESSEAN last May regarding the AB move...

Quote:
AllianceBernstein, a New York-based global investment management firm, is bringing 1,050 jobs to Nashville, city and state officials announced Wednesday.

AllianceBernstein’s $70 million investment in Nashville marks a renewal in the financial sector for the city, once known as a Wall Street hub in the South. It also demonstrates a shift from Wall Street as New York firms look for more affordable markets.

"This is not somebody's back office operations that we are going to get in Nashville," Gov. Bill Haslam said. “This is literally the global headquarters of a major financial firm that is coming to Nashville. We are incredibly grateful you have chosen us."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Ah well, economy is BOOMING right now.
The next recession is looming though. Any significant boom is always followed by a bust.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:27 AM

ONEKVB office building has been reduced in height from 30 to 25 stories. I noticed this on their web page the other day and the Nashville Post has just now verified. No other details or revised renderings were provided.

This is a beautiful, Skidmore, Owings and Merrill design and hopefully retains many of the original features. I'm also hoping this means the building will actually break ground in a few months.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:29 AM

Double post.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:58 AM

This will be next door to Topgolf and be close to Nashville's River North project.

Quote:
The group of real estate investors and developers pursuing an $80 million project on the Cumberland River's East Bank is providing a first look at their plans, expecting to begin construction next year.

The 14-story building would contain a combined 190 hotel rooms in two Marriott brands, a Courtyard by Marriott and a Fairfield Inn & Suites. The building would feature a rooftop venue and pool with views of downtown. A planned second phase would create an apartment building.
Story: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...r-topgolf.html

Rendering:

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:39 PM

Time for another update:
These are roughly to scale.

This alone would make an outstanding skyline somewhere, but this is what is being constructed and added to the current skyline. The Embassy Suites is scheduled for a December start and technically should be on the proposed list. And the JW Marriott was just opened.

This would also be a great skyline somewhere else, but this is what is likely to be added to the current and under construction skylines in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:36 PM

As someone not from Nashville is downtown the only skyline in the city? Since I've been following this thread I've read about The Gulch, SoBro etc., are those separate skyline clusters from downtown or are they considered part of downtown?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
As someone not from Nashville is downtown the only skyline in the city? Since I've been following this thread I've read about The Gulch, SoBro etc., are those separate skyline clusters from downtown or are they considered part of downtown?
The Gulch, Capitol View, Midtown, SoBro, Nashville Yards, and River North are separate building clusters from Downtown. The first two are less than a mile from Downtown. Midtown is no more than two miles from Downtown. River North is two to three miles from Downtown. SoBro isnt even 1/10 of a mile from Downtown. Nashville Yards is no more than half a mile from Downtown.

Last edited by cecilism; Oct 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations