HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:30 PM

Given that I'm now a suburbanite with kids, I spend less time downtown. My visits are generally limited to daytime visits when I'm in court a few times per month. During these trips I'm usually in and out pretty quick and am there during business hours.

I went downtown last night for the Neil deGrasse Tyson show and couldn't believe how much activity there was. Granted, there was also a Suns home game but the place was packed. Furthermore, CityScape's new tower is going to make a massive difference in the area when it comes to urban feel and population density. It was very nice to see.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Given that I'm now a suburbanite with kids, I spend less time downtown. My visits are generally limited to daytime visits when I'm in court a few times per month. During these trips I'm usually in and out pretty quick and am there during business hours.

I went downtown last night for the Neil deGrasse Tyson show and couldn't believe how much activity there was. Granted, there was also a Suns home game but the place was packed. Furthermore, CityScape's new tower is going to make a massive difference in the area when it comes to urban feel and population density. It was very nice to see.
Yes there is usually some level of foot trafic everywhere within the core, definately the deserted feeling is gone.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:34 PM

It was extremely annoying trying to get into the Suns parking garage, so many "no left turn" signs due to construction. Nice having reserved parking, not nice having to spend 30 minutes to access it. May take light rail next time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:52 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

My wife and I went to a play at the Herberger last night and can attest to how wonderfully busy downtown was on a Wednesday night. I was already downtown since I work there. My wife drove down to meet me and said that heavy traffic -- both vehicular and pedestrian -- made it slow going. It's a good problem to have for sure.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It was extremely annoying trying to get into the Suns parking garage, so many "no left turn" signs due to construction. Nice having reserved parking, not nice having to spend 30 minutes to access it. May take light rail next time.
Pro Tip the parking at BofA off washingotn is 10$ and never seems full.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I parked at CityScape and ate at Copper Blues. They validated my ticket for the entire period (I didn't pay any parking)

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
I parked at CityScape and ate at Copper Blues. They validated my ticket for the entire period (I didn't pay any parking)
Whining pig also validates but its like a discount. Still worth it

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:51 PM
Modulator

Or...take the light rail and don't pay anything for parking and avoid all the hassles.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Or...take the light rail and don't pay anything for parking and avoid all the hassles.
Or take my Lyft from my house for 7$ each way

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:02 PM

Or move back to downtown, dump the car, and walk everywhere

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Or move back to downtown, dump the car, and walk everywhere
Or that!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Un-development-related, but what a great game last night. Good to have Booker back. Go Suns.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Un-development-related, but what a great game last night. Good to have Booker back. Go Suns.
On pace to go 82 - 0. Never thought the turnaround would happen this year.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Parking comes with my tickets, that's less than $10.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
I do this when time allows. My daughter especially likes taking the train. Last night wasn’t a good candidate though since we wanted to get dinner and drinks in before the show.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I do this when time allows. My daughter especially likes taking the train. Last night wasn’t a good candidate though since we wanted to get dinner and drinks in before the show.
RonnieFoos's right! Don't bring your car to downtown. Just in case. Please leave your car at home. Take on the bus and then go on light rail. It's very easy. Parking is very extremely expensive.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:26 PM

This is good to see, I doubt Phoenix could ever become a first tier city like NY, Chicago, LA. As it lacks the geography to really do so, however it is nice to see that we are moving from a 3rd tier retiree zone, into a 2nd tier city.

However we are likely doomed into LA's larger regional center of gravity forever.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...or-office.html

Quote:
With 1.2 million square feet of absorption of office space so far in 2018, Phoenix is one of the top secondary markets for office absorption, according to research from JLL.

Phoenix ranks on par with Denver, Austin, Pittsburgh and Orlando, which have similar absorption rates. The region saw 45 percent greater absorption than San Diego, the next highest neighboring office market, according to the research.

“Whether you compare us regionally or nationally, Phoenix continues to enjoy exceptionally positive office market indicators,” said Pat Williams, managing director of JLL, in a statement. “In addition to the active new construction, we also have more than 90 companies – in a wide range of industries – looking for as much as 5 million square feet for relocations, expansions or new offices.”

There is more than 2.7 million square feet of office space under construction in the Phoenix area, 726,000 of which is scheduled to be delivered before the end of the year, according to JLL. There also is 1.5 million square feet of existing and under-construction office space worth of executed leases waiting to occupy next year.

According to research from Colliers International, office vacancy decreased during the third quarter, but is expected to increase slightly by the end of the year as new developments come online.

Approximately 127,000 square feet of new office space came online during Q3, bringing the year-to-date total for delivery to about 800,000 square feet, down from the 1.8 million square feet delivered during the first three quarters of 2017, according to Colliers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:36 PM

Tree Murders?

I live out in the east side of town (shout out to my ev peeps). Anyway I have noticed in recent months an alarming amount of mature trees that are either dead/ dying/ or in some stage of illness. These are of varying species too. Not sure if anyone else is noticing this in other parts of town? I know the desert species are immune to it but not sure if its negligence, disease, lack of rain in past years? I've noticed this recently and it's an alarming amount of tree carnage. Not good for the shade canopy overall.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I live out in the east side of town (shout out to my ev peeps). Anyway I have noticed in recent months an alarming amount of mature trees that are either dead/ dying/ or in some stage of illness. These are of varying species too. Not sure if anyone else is noticing this in other parts of town? I know the desert species are immune to it but not sure if its negligence, disease, lack of rain in past years? I've noticed this recently and it's an alarming amount of tree carnage. Not good for the shade canopy overall.
I mean are you sure? Everything in Central area actually looks quite green with the rain.

Maybe its diciduous trees losing their leaves becasue its beenc ooler than normal?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I mean are you sure? Everything in Central area actually looks quite green with the rain.

Maybe its diciduous trees losing their leaves becasue its beenc ooler than normal?
No, no, no, I've started noticing this trend during the summer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest