HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21161  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:18 PM
jawagord's Avatar
jawagord jawagord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I saw that piece and had to give my head a shake. Zekelman seems to be channelling Mr. S. Harper in going to meet folks in the USA and then parroting their (i.e. U.S.) negotiating positions back to Canadians. In this case, also prioritizing his own financial interest above those of the nation. His comments about Freeland's "ego" are, is should go without saying, absolute nonsense.
No ego here from Chrystia "let them eat cake" Freeland right KW? The flip side of the US steel tariffs are Canada's new steel tariffs on a host of other countries, so on top of the $12 billion in duties Canadian consumers are paying on the laundry list of US consumer items the Liberals put in place in July, now the Liberals are going to punish Canadian businesses with new tariffs on imported steel. Please KW tell us again how the Liberals are well aware of problems Canadian businesses face and will be fixing the tax structure when?

Canada's new steel tariffs will 'kill businesses' in push to please U.S.

As of next Thursday, a 25 per cent surtax will be applied to all foreign imports of seven specific kinds of steel once they exceed historical average volumes. It's an emergency tool the federal government's never used before. Many manufacturers would love to stop it from being used now.

"It is going to kill businesses," said trade lawyer Cyndee Todgham Cherniak. Her firm, LexSage, represents clients trying to persuade the Canadian International Trade Tribunal to reverse Finance Minister Bill Morneau's decision at hearings scheduled for January.

"Exactly what we said shouldn't be done to us, we've done to other countries. And, quite frankly, to our own businesses."

Getting import permits for tariff-free steel will be "like winning the lottery," so most importers will just start adding 25 per cent to all prices, Goldman said. And that's on top of price increases of 30 to 50 per cent already reported for some products as the market responds to supply shortages.

In an interview with CBC Ottawa Morning host Robyn Bresnahan on Thursday, Freeland was asked what Canada was prepared to give up to get steel tariffs lifted.

"Why should I give up anything? We will lift our tariffs when they lift their tariffs," the minister said.


Seeing Trudeau and ministers like Freeland pop up at steel mills for photo ops makes Todgham Cherniak wonder if Canada's embraced some American political strategy as well.

"It's working well in the United States, with President Trump saying to unions and to workers, 'I got your back.' So are we doing the same thing because oh, we have an election in 2019?" she said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ste...neau-1.4864620
__________________
The human ability to innovate out of a jam is profound. That's why Darwin will always be right and Malthus will always be wrong - K.R.Sridhar

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson
     
     
  #21162  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:54 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,420
LOL conservatives are hilarious. They work themselves into a lather that Canada wasn’t doing enough to please Trump on trade and then when we put tariffs on to avoid third countries using our market to dump steel they shit themselves.
     
     
  #21163  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:25 PM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,041
Funny world we live in these days when it's those on the right that are arguing for tariffs, quotas and capitulating to the Americans. I liked these quotes from Freeland:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia Freeland
I’m not interested in a centrally planned economy. I actually lived in the Soviet Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia Freeland
Canada is very ready to resolve this. It’s exceedingly simple. From my perspective, we could fix it this afternoon. The fix this afternoon is, everybody lifts their tariffs on each other
She's absolutely correct, although these principles should apply exactly the same to the dairy industry.
     
     
  #21164  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:31 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 5,934
That poll is absurd and must of been composed by a first year Pol-Sci student.

What kind of polling company asks people if they think a person who more concerned about looking good and then asks if you will vote for them? Telephone polls are also becoming more obselete as they miss a huge demographic {usually younger and more tech savy educated Millenials} and are more geared towards seniors and rural people with larger families who still have a land-based phone.


If you can take ANYTHING away from that poll, it shows how the Tories are in VERY deep trouble as their support is heavily scewed in Alberta and SK/MB which is like preaching to the converted. It also states that across nearly the whole country 20% are likely to vote for Bernier. That 20% will blow a whole in Conservative support which will be a death sentence for the Tories in Canada`s FPTP system. It also shows that the Tories are more popular with less educated voters who, across all age groups, are far less likely to vote than the well educated who uniformally support the Liberals.
     
     
  #21165  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:54 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Funny world we live in these days when it's those on the right that are arguing for tariffs, quotas and capitulating to the Americans. I liked these quotes from Freeland:


She's absolutely correct, although these principles should apply exactly the same to the dairy industry.
Trump said he wanted to have no tariffs at all so why didn't she accept his offer? Oh, because protecting ~10K dairy farmers and a few other SIGs is more important than 99.99% of the economy.
     
     
  #21166  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:56 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,241
^ Freeland should know how much better Ukraine's economy was under the Soviet Union with a planned economy then. she should also known that 75% of the Soviet Union wanted to preserve it in 1991 and more than 80% of Ukrainians, yet it was still dismantled by Yeltsin and the USA. check out how much population the new capitalist eastern bloc has lost since the end of the SU. she's just spreading propaganda to keep justifying supplying funds and weapons to her facist ukraine

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM.
     
     
  #21167  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:30 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ check out how much population the new capitalist eastern bloc has lost since the end of the SU. she's just spreading propaganda to keep justifying supplying funds and weapons to her facist ukraine
It was kind of hard to leave when you’d be shot for trying.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
     
     
  #21168  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:23 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,732
[QUOTE=headhorse;8352120]^ Freeland should know how much better Ukraine's economy was under the Soviet Union with a planned economy then. she should also known that 75% of the Soviet Union wanted to preserve it in 1991 and more than 80% of Ukrainians

That’s why 92.3% voted for independence in the 1991 referendum.
     
     
  #21169  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:42 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,241
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...ferendum,_1991

after the "dissolution", they voted for independence from RUSSIA, not the SU

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 20, 2018 at 11:01 PM.
     
     
  #21170  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:08 PM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Trump said he wanted to have no tariffs at all so why didn't she accept his offer? Oh, because protecting ~10K dairy farmers and a few other SIGs is more important than 99.99% of the economy.
Trump was lying, it's what he does.
     
     
  #21171  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:20 PM
Black Star's Avatar
Black Star Black Star is offline
Made in Edmonton
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Trump was lying, it's what he does.
lol....You watch to much CNN.

Can you tell me with specifics...dates...times...What President trump lied about??

And try not to use just your feelings
__________________
Beverly to 96 st and then all the way down to Riverdale.
     
     
  #21172  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:51 PM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,041
He lies constantly, there's too much to list - if you truly believe he doesn't you need to give your head a shake. But to focus on that one lie, Trump doesn't want no tariffs, he's quite happy to have them if he erroneously thinks they will benefit America, as you can quite clearly see with varying unjust tariffs levied on Canada.
     
     
  #21173  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:05 AM
Black Star's Avatar
Black Star Black Star is offline
Made in Edmonton
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
He lies constantly, there's too much to list - if you truly believe he doesn't you need to give your head a shake. But to focus on that one lie, Trump doesn't want no tariffs, he's quite happy to have them if he erroneously thinks they will benefit America, as you can quite clearly see with varying unjust tariffs levied on Canada.

No...I need facts. If you don't have any....than your argument is bullshit.

Thats why Liberal are losing all over the world. Concrete facts and a proper explanation are need to back up anything.

Feelings don't count.

The reason the liberal Party is in the shithouse is because everyone is sick to death of all the pc sjw liberal lunatics that were trying to running this country to the ground while the working class was getting treated as mules paying for lazy asses free shit and getting no say in nothing. If you would say anything you're a racist fascist! Not happening anymore.

Failure after failure after failure...after failure...you get the point. Trudeau simply was not, is not, and will never be “fit to govern”. But he is a drama queen who can sell a lie, and too many Canadians bought his lie leading to all these failures. Harper was right, but too many stuck their fingers in their ears, preferring instead stock!Mr. Dress up who is too immature to even be left in charge of a sophomore class in school.

And if so called liberal educated lol people cant see this....well...your future is as bright as BRE-X stock!
__________________
Beverly to 96 st and then all the way down to Riverdale.
     
     
  #21174  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:26 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Identity Condiment
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 38,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
lol....You watch to much CNN.

Can you tell me with specifics...dates...times...What President trump lied about??

And try not to use just your feelings
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

Use Google and research the things you're going to ask people to do first, to make sure that your claim is right, so that when someone actually accomplishes this "impossible task" you've asked them to do, you don't look like a moron for asking them to do it.

The page I linked to has the dates, times, and subjects on which Donald Trump has lied since January 20th 2017. I'll let you click it to find out how many times he has done so.

Now, can you prove those refutations wrong? And try not to use just your feelings!
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
     
     
  #21175  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:33 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Identity Condiment
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 38,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrain...ferendum,_1991

after the "dissolution", they voted for independence from RUSSIA, not the SU
Just so that you're aware, the page you linked to makes no mention of Russia at all. That page, along with other pages related to the independence of Ukraine and the dissolution of the USSR, refer to Ukraine as getting its independence from the USSR, not Russia.

You need to read things that you're providing to back up your claims before you link us to them because some of us actually read them.

Even the Ukrainian version of that article, and the English and Ukrainian versions of the article about Ukrainian independence specifically, make no mention of Russia or Росси́я.
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
     
     
  #21176  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:36 AM
Black Star's Avatar
Black Star Black Star is offline
Made in Edmonton
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

Use Google and research the things you're going to ask people to do first, to make sure that your claim is right, so that when someone actually accomplishes this "impossible task" you've asked them to do, you don't look like a moron for asking them to do it.

The page I linked to has the dates, times, and subjects on which Donald Trump has lied since January 20th 2017. I'll let you click it to find out how many times he has done so.

Now, can you prove those refutations wrong? And try not to use just your feelings!
My God you're so desperate lol. You have nothing. Just Babble. Blah.

No one listens to you...Unless their nuts.

Why do you comment on this political site. Its like you are a robot who knows next to nothing lol. You might find comfort here methinks.

Most right minded people might think you are insane. And they are probably right

let me guess....You love Trudeau....free stuff and open everything lol.
__________________
Beverly to 96 st and then all the way down to Riverdale.
     
     
  #21177  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:50 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Identity Condiment
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 38,701
Is that how you want to play? OK, then.
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
     
     
  #21178  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 12:57 AM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,184
The only way to win with those types isn't to play. They are obviously divorced from reality and manners by the language they use...
     
     
  #21179  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:00 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Identity Condiment
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 38,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
lol....You watch to much CNN.

Can you tell me with specifics...dates...times...What President trump lied about??

And try not to use just your feelings
October 2, 2018:

"USMCA is the most advanced, modern, and balanced trade agreement ever negotiated. It is also the largest trade deal the United States has ever made. And we think it's the largest trade deal ever made in the world -- $1.2 trillion in commerce a year."

Source: Speech to National Electrical Contractors Association

in fact: The new U.S. trade agreement with Canada and Mexico is not even close to the largest trade deal the U.S. has ever made. The Trans-Pacific Partnership, from which Trump withdrew, included the U.S., Canada and Mexico, plus nine other countries.

October 1, 2018:

"I have long contended that NAFTA was perhaps the worst trade deal ever made. Since NAFTA's adoption, the United States racked up trade deficits totaling more than $2 trillion -- and it's a much higher number than that -- with Canada and Mexico."

Source: Press conference on U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement

in fact: Factcheck.org found that Trump was exaggerating. He did so by ignoring trade in services and using a number that only counts trade in goods: "The president, as he often does, may have been referring to U.S. trade in just goods with those nations. From 1994 until 2017, according to Bureau of Economic Analysis trade data, the deficit in goods with Canada was $990 billion and with Mexico it was $1.14 trillion. Combined, that's more than $2 trillion, as Trump claimed. But that ignores U.S. trade surpluses in services, such as travel and telecommunications, with each of those nations during that same time period. Including trade in goods and services, the deficit with Canada was $614 billion and $969 billion with Mexico from 1994 to 2017. Together, that's a deficit of around $1.58 trillion."

September 7, 2018:

"Well, the farmers are going to be in very good shape as soon as I finish the various deals. The farmers have been shut out from the EU, which is basically Europe. They've been shut out from Canada, as you know, Canada is charging tremendous tariffs, almost 300 per cent on dairy products."

Source: Interview with KELO-TV, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

in fact: While Canada does charge high tariffs on U.S. dairy, it is not even close to true that U.S. farmers have been "shut out from Canada"; almost all other U.S. agricultural products enter Canada tariff-free under the terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement. According to Trump's own Department of Agriculture, Canada is the number-one export market for U.S. agriculture, buying $20.5 billion worth of U.S. farm products in 2017.

August 30:

"The United States -- look, since the World Trade Organization, which was probably, I called -- I called NAFTA the second-worst trade deal ever made. I would say the WTO was the single worst trade deal ever made."

Source: Interview with Bloomberg

in fact: Trump has repeatedly called NAFTA the worst trade deal ever made. Until this, he had not called NAFTA the second-worst trade deal ever made.

August 27:

"We're starting negotiations with Canada, pretty much immediately. I can't tell you where those negotiations are gone (sic). It's going to be a -- it's a smaller segment, as you know. Mexico is a very large trading partner."

Source: Remarks on trade deal with Mexico

in fact: U.S. trade with Canada is larger, not smaller, than U.S. trade with Mexico. In 2017, according to the website of the U.S. Trade Representative, "U.S. goods and services trade with Mexico totaled an estimated $615.9 billion," while "U.S. goods and services trade with Canada totaled an estimated $673.1 billion."

July 26:

"And we have a very big deficit with Canada -- trade deficit, although they don't like to say that. But on one of their pieces of paper that they give out with the Canadian flag -- and I love Canada, by the way. I have to tell you, I love Canada -- but they have the Canadian flag -- very official -- it says, '$97.8 billion deficit that the United States has,' or they put it down as a surplus to Canada. And I said, 'Well, if we're doing so well with Canada, how come it's $98.7 billion?' OK? That's a lot of money."

Source: Remarks at Workforce Development Roundtable in Peosta, Iowa

in fact: This is comprehensively inaccurate. Canada did not "give out" an official document with a Canadian flag that boasts of a $97.8 billion or $98.7 billion surplus; the Trump administration found this approximate figure on a chart deep in the Statistics Canada website. Second, this number is not the official trade balance number used by either the U.S. or Canada. According to Trump's own Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the U.S. had a $8.4 billion trade surplus with Canada in 2017. According to Canadian figures, calculated differently, Canada had a surplus of its own of more than $20 billion. The Canadian figure Trump was attempting to refer to, which was actually $97.7 billion, includes "re-exports," goods imported to Canada from other countries -- say a t-shirt from China, and then shipped on to the U.S. By using this figure, Trump is double-counting that t-shirt as part of the trade deficit with China and also with Canada.

Should I keep going? This is what you asked for, Black Star. You said, "Can you tell me with specifics...dates...times...What President trump lied about??" and I have provided to you not just a page with that information, but some examples from it, since you probably didn't click the link.

Do you know how many there are?

No?

There are 2,915 of them.




For the record, I don't like Trudeau, his only redeeming quality is that he isn't as right wing as Stephen Harper. I did not vote him. I have never voted Liberal. You make a lot of assumptions and dare people to prove things that are easily proven, and then when they prove those things to you that you dared them to because you assumed them to be impossible, you spout insults of being "desperate", or "having nothing", of "babbling".

I'm not desperate. I'm informed. You, apparently, are not. I don't have "nothing". I have the skill of how to use the internet as a tool to learn and better understand things. You, apparently, do not. This is not "babble". This is what you asked for. I delivered to you the very thing you requested.

And no one here listens to me unless they're blind. This is a text based forum.

I comment here for the same reason you comment here. If I know nothing, then why have I shared information with you? The context of your claim of my knowledge suggests that you know much, and yet when pressed you just start insulting me. Why is that? I'm not looking for comfort here, I'm looking for challenge. You consistently fail to provide that. You're too easy a foil.

The only one insane is you, because within just 100 minutes and 5 posts, you've apparently forgotten what you asked for.
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
     
     
  #21180  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 1:01 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Identity Condiment
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 38,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
The only way to win with those types isn't to play. They are obviously divorced from reality and manners by the language they use...
I'm a cat. He's my mouse. I don't plan to eat him, I'm just having a little fun. True, he may die. But it's a risk I'm willing to take.
__________________
Toronto & HamiltonThunder Bayother photos | my geofiction | random things | skyscraper diagrams
It's not about what you don't have—it's the little you're given, and how far you can run with it.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.