HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 11:32 PM

I was forced to revive my SSP account since all the Portland action takes place on this forum rather than SSC. This is the first I've seen those SoWa rengerings posted by CouvScott. They look phenomenal. I could stare at those all day. Are each of those towers proposed or are some of them simply conceptual?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 11:38 PM

I think they are conceptual

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 12:25 AM
Green Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
I like it although I would rather see whats happening with block 37 that initial render for 37 looked really interesting
I must have missed the rendering of Block 37 somewhere.....can you re-post??? Secondly, is there any update on Block 41. The first posting by MarkdaMan is quoted as saying the project is on hold. Are there any renderings of Block 42 and 45a?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 1:29 AM

Now that you can see the renderings of Block 41, i don't think it looks that bad. Its better than the alexan and most other blobs that get built.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew-Ski
Secondly, is there any update on Block 41. The first posting by MarkdaMan is quoted as saying the project is on hold. Are there any renderings of Block 42 and 45a?
To my knowledge what I posted at the top of the thread was their current plans as of only 4 weeks ago. In a slow market I doubt anything much has happened, especially since Prometheus purchased an apartment tower next to the KOIN Tower and is starting upgrades. The lady from the company did say in a follow up e-mail that the only renderings available right now for public consumption was the one forwarded and posted here.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; May 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 3:40 PM

South Waterfront News

Maybe there will be enough going on in SoWa to keep this thread alive? In any case, I didn't know where to stick this story.

Wind not a blow to South Waterfront buildings
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Alison Ryan
05/02/2007

The Willamette River isn’t Lake Michigan – and South Waterfront isn’t Chicago’s wind-whipping lakefront. But builders are still watching the wind factor as the growing district takes shape.

In some cities, watching the wind is a bigger part of building. The city of Toronto, for example, can require pedestrian-level wind studies for projects of more than six stories in some parts of the city. Studies evaluate pedestrian comfort during typical urban space activities – like sitting and walking – based on factors like wind force and wind chill.

But wind isn’t a factor in Portland’s review process for the South Waterfront District, Troy Doss, a city planner, said. An initial study of the North Macadam greenway microclimate, completed in 2000 by a University of Oregon team, showed that the way the wind blows through the district, as well as the way the streets are laid out, mostly shield South Waterfront from wind’s effects.

“The area tends to be more accommodating, in regard to the negative impact of wind,” Doss said. “But the proof will be in the pudding, when we see the district more built out.”

Wind isn’t often an issue in Portland. Monthly wind averages, collected since 1948, range between 6.5 and 9.9 miles per hour with an annual average of 7.9 miles per hour, according to 2005 National Climatic Data Center data. And according to Jan Curtis, a climatologist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service’s National Water and Climate Center in Portland, the city’s wind levels have been steady for at least the past 15 years.

Though architects and engineers consider wind effects, he said, studies would “generally not” make sense as a widespread requirement for Portland. The city is mostly established, he said, and heavy winds are fairly atypical in Portland and most U.S. cities.

“It’s generally something we kind of live with,” he said.

But it’s something that building teams are looking at anyway. As Oregon Health & Science University buildings, condominiums and other planned South Waterfront projects rise, the dynamic of the district will change. Both, developers say, in terms of urban life and in terms of how the wind moves through the area.

Planning the Center for Health & Healing, said Dennis Wilde, principal at Gerding Edlen Development Co., meant a computational fluid dynamics study – which involved computer modeling of wind – of the area by Arizona State University. Potential for wind turbines was explored, he said, as well as the dynamics created by the high-rise building. And the center, as the district’s first tall building, is experiencing some wind problems.

“It’s a huge issue for short periods of time,” he said. “But as other buildings go in and the neighborhood matures, those wind characteristics are going to change significantly.”

Designers for the Mirabella, a 30-story senior housing tower planned for South Waterfront, will study wind, a team from Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects told the Portland Design Commission on April 19.

Investigation into wind has also been a part of the process for project such as the John Ross Condominiums. The design team, TVA Architects principal Robert Thompson said, analyzed wind patterns as part of the John Ross design process – and the final design for the tower nods to the wind, too.

“The John Ross is an elliptical tower, so it’s far more aerodynamic than a rectangle or a square,” he said. “This allows the wind to pass smoothly by the building, creating very little turbulence as it goes by.”

Working on early South Waterfront projects means, Thompson said, that teams don’t have the luxury of factoring to-come projects into their work. But one thing the podium-tower design of some of the district’s first buildings, such as the Atwater and the Meriwether, do is create a street-level buffer that tower-only designs don’t have, he said.

Although the district’s wind dynamic will change as new projects wrap, South Waterfront’s well-positioned for wind. The street grid is oriented due north. Regulations focused on “permeability,” or keeping views of Mount Hood and the river within the district, bar facades wider than 125 feet on the north and south block sides, meaning buildings’ longer sides have to be oriented east and west. The district’s natural orientation doesn’t create wind tunnels, Doss said, but it does create a setup that’s good for harnessing solar energy.

“On balance, we’re in the black in the district more than anything else,” he said.

Gerding Edlen has seized solar’s potential, most notably through the photovoltaic system on the Center for Health & Healing. Designers left space, too, Wilde said, for wind turbines on the roof of the center, should technology for grabbing low-velocity wind appear on the market. But for now, he said, the same easy wind that makes the district a good place to build doesn’t offer a good return on turbine investment.

“We didn’t find consistent enough winds,” he said, “to justify the expense.”
http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...29363&userID=1

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:37 PM

check out this site plan by Williams and Dame (the link has been posted before)

http://www.wddcorp.com/projects/site...waterfront.pdf

Does anyone else notice that Block 46 has a different footprint, apparently 65' height limits, and now says Simpson Housing Apartments under the Block 46 identifier?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:51 PM

Block 45 is in design process as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:30 PM

I wonder if the design has changed. now all the delays make sense

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:34 PM

do we have a render of block 45?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 11:59 PM

Multiple design schemes are being studied and evaluated...so no, not yet.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
check out this site plan by Williams and Dame (the link has been posted before)

http://www.wddcorp.com/projects/site...waterfront.pdf

Does anyone else notice that Block 46 has a different footprint, apparently 65' height limits, and now says Simpson Housing Apartments under the Block 46 identifier?
^^^I wondered that too when i first saw the revised site plan. I'm hoping its just the height for the smaller building that was a part of the original plan and that the tower will still be built.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 3:05 PM

Does anyone have any insight on what's going on with Zidell?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:16 AM
Green Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
I would like to see several highrise office towers on that site. The SOWA's primary focus thus far seems to be residential. What a spectaculiar location to put speculative luxurious office space and begin a recruting campaigne for new corporations. With so many amenities available, the possibilty of several large Corps setting up shop does not seem far fetched........

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx
Zidell has a M37 claim pending but have put any action on it on hold while they negotiate with the city and OHSU. Zidell has indicated they are open to almost any possibility including land swaps but have the M37 claim as 'insurance' if they determine none of the deals being negotiated are good enough. Currently there are no immediate plans for development but a potential M37 claim could eliminate any FAR or height limits.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
^^^I wondered that too when i first saw the revised site plan. I'm hoping its just the height for the smaller building that was a part of the original plan and that the tower will still be built.
The B46 project is completely different now. No towers. WDD sold the site to Simpson Housing. New design should be made public relatively soon.

Low rise apartment buildings, modern in design.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:15 PM

well darn I hope it looks good

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:20 PM

Keep Hoping... (block 49 - Williams Dame/Ankrom Moisan)

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:33 PM

^that is the affordable housing project?

from amaa.com

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:48 PM

That's the one

The images on the pre ap agenda don't look as nice as your image though, but they do give insight that it will have underground and surface parking. The surface parking will all be in the courtyard created by the buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland