HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:07 PM

Not only would this make it convenient for bar patrons, but also for people who want to buy liquor at a 24-hour market.

I remember one New Year's we spent at home after midnight wanting to buy more hooch at the market and realizing it was already 1:30am... so we didn't bother.

If this law passes and it's only for the aforementioned cities, I would have to go into LA to buy hooch... but my city borders LA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:26 PM
BANNED

I don't understand the 4am last call time when bars and liquor stores can legally sell at 6am again.

Why even stop serving alcohol for 2 hours?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Not only would this make it convenient for bar patrons, but also for people who want to buy liquor at a 24-hour market.

I remember one New Year's we spent at home after midnight wanting to buy more hooch at the market and realizing it was already 1:30am... so we didn't bother.

If this law passes and it's only for the aforementioned cities, I would have to go into LA to buy hooch... but my city borders LA.
Liquor delivery services will prosper.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Liquor delivery services will prosper.
Interesting thought...

It makes me bring up a question: Would liquor delivery be allowed after 2am to the cities that aren't part of the 4am group?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:39 PM

prohibition of booze and substances is ridiculous across the board and just creates more problems

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 10:50 PM

Here's an Op-Ed from the Sacramento Bee that is NOT in favor (not that I necessarily agree with it):

Why a 4 a.m. last call at California bars would be a really bad move
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed...217602005.html

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I don't understand the 4am last call time when bars and liquor stores can legally sell at 6am again.

Why even stop serving alcohol for 2 hours?
Because people in charge think they should regulate everything for regulations sake. People should be able to drink at any time they would like and pretty much anywhere. Why cant i walk around with a beer in downtown (Legally) or have a margarita at the beach? We make laws for the lowest common denominator and are still a puritan country.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Because people in charge think they should regulate everything for regulations sake. People should be able to drink at any time they would like and pretty much anywhere. Why cant i walk around with a beer in downtown (Legally) or have a margarita at the beach? We make laws for the lowest common denominator and are still a puritan country.
You used to be able to have a beer at the beach not too long ago. Now, big ol' ticket. No fun allowed and you're forced to sneak around like an underaged kid. Starbucks disposable coffee cups work great.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Here's an Op-Ed from the Sacramento Bee that is NOT in favor (not that I necessarily agree with it):

Why a 4 a.m. last call at California bars would be a really bad move
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed...217602005.html
I would say leave it alone and cut it off early, or keep it going 24/7 and leave it up to communities to decide what's best for themselves.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
I can definitely see the prohibition of glass containers at the beach. Otherwise . . . .

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You used to be able to have a beer at the beach not too long ago. Now, big ol' ticket. No fun allowed and you're forced to sneak around like an underaged kid. Starbucks disposable coffee cups work great.
Quote:
How to Drink in Public in San Francisco (And Get Away With It)

. . . according to California’s open-container law (business and professions, section 25620) . . .
“Any person possessing any can, bottle, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed, in any city, county, or city and county-owned park or other city, county, or city and county-owned public place, or any recreation and park district, or any regional park or open-space district shall be guilty of an infraction if the city, county, or city and county has enacted an ordinance that prohibits the possession of those containers in those areas or the consumption of alcoholic beverages in those areas.”

However, there are two exceptions:
1. If the public space has a permit.
2. If you are carrying the container for recycling or a related activity.

And luckily for San Franciscans, many public parks already have permanent permits.

Public Spaces with Permits

Golden Gate Park
14th Avenue East Picnic Area
Bunny Meadow Picnic Area
Chinese Pavilion at Stow Lake Picnic Site
Doughboy Meadow Picnic Area
Hellman Hollow Picnic Area
Lindley Meadow Picnic Area
Strawberry Hill Picnic Area
Other Parks

You can look at the full list here, but here are some other popular park spaces where you can legally drink wine and beer:

John McLaren Park
Little Marina Green Picnic Area
Mountain Lake Park Picnic Area
Public Spaces without Permits

There are a few locations where alcohol is technically prohibited, but they still remain popular watering holes for locals.

The Panhandle
Ocean Beach
Dolores Park
Baker Beach
https://thebolditalic.com/how-and-to...o-4ee1ef5b72da

The wine industry being what it is in California, I suspect we are more tolerant of drinking that beverage in more places than other states might allow.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I can definitely see the prohibition of glass containers at the beach. Otherwise . . . .
Agreed with glass being prohibited. I usually walk around with a plastic cup in downtown LA with no problem but it shouldn't even be a concern.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:37 PM
Pay it Forward

An update. The bill passed the state senate last night and is now on it's way to the governor.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...sf-ca.amp.html

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
An update. The bill passed the state senate last night and is now on it's way to the governor.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...sf-ca.amp.html
Oh, are Cathedral City and Coachella no longer part of that group? Is it only 7 California cities now?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:31 PM

According to this, these are the 5 California beaches where you are allowed to drink alcohol:

https://www.tripping.com/explore/5-c...-allow-alcohol

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:30 PM

A follow-up, from EaterLA:

California Governor Vetoes Bill That Would’ve Allowed 4 a.m. Last Call

California Governor Jerry Brown vetoed SB 905 on September 28
by Mona Holmes Oct 1, 2018, 2:08pm PDT

Governor Jerry Brown vetoed the Late Night Bar Bill, or Senate Bill 905 last week on Septmeber 28. SB 905 would have adjusted the last call time to 4 a.m. in the cities of Los Angeles, Long Beach, West Hollywood, Palm Springs, Oakland, and San Francisco.

Governor Brown added comment in a letter to the California Senate, where he shared the reasons for turning down the law:

“Without question, these two extra hours will result in more drinking. The business and cities in support of this bill see that as a good source of revenue. The California Highway Patrol, however strongly believes that this increased drinking will lead to more drunk driving.”

Three Clubs’ co-owner Marc Smith, is baffled by Brown’s decision. Smith believes there’s something missing in the governor’s statement, and the state and businesses will miss out on extra revenue. “Does he have an alcoholic relative or something?” asks Smith. “I’m shocked that he would go out on something like that. I thought he’d be more progressive. As long as its regulated properly, this should be law.”

[...]

Link: California Governor Vetoes Bill That Would’ve Allowed 4 a.m. Last Call

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:52 PM
BANNED

^That's surprising from Jerry Brown.

E] I'll restate that it should either remain at 2:00 am or bumped up to 24/7. I don't understand the idea of increasing it to 4am, and then starting it at 6am, may as well just keep it going so there isn't a rush to crush drinks at 3:45am.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:24 PM

SO ridiculous that he veto'd this. Ridiculous to have a blanket state law.. Downtown LA or SF is not the same as Fresno or Big Sur. There are many areas that could benefit from a later cutoff that dont depend on driving. Hollywood, West Hollywood, Downtown LA, SF, Gaslamp, Long Beach, Pasadena, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica... These are all areas that should have the option to extend to however long they want

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
SO ridiculous that he veto'd this. Ridiculous to have a blanket state law.. Downtown LA or SF is not the same as Fresno or Big Sur. There are many areas that could benefit from a later cutoff that dont depend on driving. Hollywood, West Hollywood, Downtown LA, SF, Gaslamp, Long Beach, Pasadena, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica... These are all areas that should have the option to extend to however long they want
I agree.

I would say, certain areas should be 24 hours, while other areas should remain at 2am.

As for the public transportation argument, who cares in this day and age? Take Uber/Lyft, because there are very few options at 2am or 4am. Most reliable transit starts at 5am or later.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This story reminds me of why I feel so fortunate to have lived in Atlanta in the 90s during my 20s in the era of 24 hr clubs/booze. There was a legendary gay club named Backstreet whose motto was "Always Open and Pouring." Wow was that a crazy time and place to be alive.
I LOVED the nightlife of Atlanta in my young adult years in the late 80s (college) throughout the 90s to mid 2000s when Mayor Franklin cut back on bar hours in the city to 2:30 last call, 3am closing and eliminated afterhour clubs/bars. I'm such a night person so I felt fortunate as well. I remember Backstreet and been there before. We used to party hard. I remember at times getting off work and meeting up with friends for happy hour and then maybe dinner and or party nap. Then head back out around midnight or 1 to the clubs to dance, be seen, people watch, etc. Then at closing at 3-4 discuss if we wanted to hang out more at the afterhour clubs like Backstreet, the Marquette, Traxx, 112, Club Anytime, etc. It was really like Jermaine Dupri said in Welcome to Atlanta, 'parties don't stop til 8 in the morning'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions