HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Its just the internet in general. Individuals on these forums can get a little snippy, but this is child's play compared the vitriol on Twitter, Curbed, Gawker, Reddit, pretty much any political blog or major news site, or the worst...Youtube comments

When you let people converse anonymously online, they're freed of the consequences they'd normally encounter if they said something insulting face-to-face. The discourse tends to become a race to the bottom. Honestly, I consider it to be one of the major problems with the internet that still needs to be addressed. How does one balance anonymity with civility? Moderation is just a band aid solution; no one has time to moderate every forum and comment section.
Indeed!

Speaking of City Hall, here it was last night with the Lindbergh Beacon on top!

Lindbergh Beacon atop City Hall with Grand Park in the foreground by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:11 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Beautiful shot of L.A. City Hall with the Lindbergh Beacon!

Greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Indeed!

Speaking of City Hall, here it was last night with the Lindbergh Beacon on top
Wow! Nice shot.

Hoping the beacon is still lit when I get back to the west coast.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Wow! Nice shot.

Hoping the beacon is still lit when I get back to the west coast.
I believe it is to be lit through January 5th.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Its just the internet in general. Individuals on these forums can get a little snippy, but this is child's play compared the vitriol on Twitter, Curbed, Gawker, Reddit, pretty much any political blog or major news site, or the worst...Youtube comments

When you let people converse anonymously online, they're freed of the consequences they'd normally encounter if they said something insulting face-to-face. The discourse tends to become a race to the bottom. Honestly, I consider it to be one of the major problems with the internet that still needs to be addressed. How does one balance anonymity with civility? Moderation is just a band aid solution; no one has time to moderate every forum and comment section.
District,
thank you, you've given me about the best explanation possible to the reason for the growing incivility that exists today, not only on the internet but in our American culture as well. I am the product of the tail-end of the Baby boom generation so it does seem to bother me more than perhaps someone younger. As a small example, it used to be that I held a door open for all strangers (men, women, children), more often than not receiving a "thank-you" for the courtesy. A few years ago I never held the door open for anyone under 40, because more often than not the person sauntered through without saying a word, feeling fully entitled to the courtesy without a gesture of thanks. Now a days I never hold a door open for anyone under 50 (and I'm 56). If this keeps up, as I suspect it will, pretty soon I'll just let the door slam in their face. Very, very sad.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:51 PM

Great shots as always, Hunter.

Just to go back to the car thing, my wife and I have one car. I work from home and she walks to work here in downtown. Depending upon your needs I think you could get by without a car (I know plenty of people who do), but it could be more difficult for others. We're always out exploring somewhere (mountains and desert) and it's just easier to have a car. I've been considering a car share like Zipcar, but financially I'm not sure it makes sense for us yet (I think we drive too much). Personally I'd love to be car free. When we lived in Boston we'd go for weeks without driving - a mixture of walkability, mass transit, and a total inability to park anywhere - it's just easier, and often faster, not to drive. The lack of parking in that case is a total plus, IMO.

Last edited by brudy; Jan 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 5:32 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

If it's easier and more convenient to get around with a car than without one, then there's your answer. That being said, there are certainly steps one can take to live a "car-lite" lifestyle here.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider taking the bus as my primary mode of transport -- although LA County has a very developed bus network. For short distances of 2-3 miles, sure. In the future I'd ride the Purple Line to, say, Wilshire/La Brea and take a 10-minute bus trip up to Melrose. I think many (though not most) would be more willing and inclined to do the same.

Ultimately, everyone desires an easy and effortless commute. People will choose to take public transport if it's convenient, comfortable, and economical.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Jan 2, 2015 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 12:17 AM

Deleted

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Indeed!

Speaking of City Hall, here it was last night with the Lindbergh Beacon on top!

Lindbergh Beacon atop City Hall with Grand Park in the foreground by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr
What a beauty, and what history speaks of this building . I have an old book (published 1930) which has a photograph of the original lighting ceremony (President Harding "flipped the switch"). It was a very historic and proud moment for the young city. Destined to be one of the greatest cities in the world.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:12 PM
UrbanEnthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
LA, as someone mentioned earlier, is MASSIVE. You can't generalize LA like you can NYC or SF.

There are many, many areas of LA that are walkable and where you wouldn't need a car. But to get to all those different places efficiently and quickly, will be MUCH easier when you have car. There are areas that are super suburban and not pedestrian friendly, and many that are the opposite. It's a very unique layout.

Haven't heard much about retail? I mean, LA is arguably the retail capitol of the west coast. Beverly Hills, MidCity, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, the list goes on and on.

The key to understanding LA is that there is no real "center", as much as downtown is trying to be. It's multinodal and seemingly infinite.

If you want to get the essence of LA (aside from this amazing thread), I suggest you look through Airbnb's impressive photo essays that capture many of the city's neighborhoods. They call it their neighborhood travel guide. This will give you a better feel of how the LA streetscape and urban experience is.

https://www.airbnb.com/locations/los-angeles
I apologize for being ignorant about all of this, but I am here to learn more about these awesome American cities, so I really appreciate the recommends a lot!

Yes, I've read (my only source of news regarding any city at all) that its better to have a car to experience the whole of LA.
You know actually, I understand how LA is like, because it is exactly like Kuala Lumpur, we also have multiple centers, and the KL City Center is the largest commercial district in our capital, but other "downtowns" are mostly built as a humongous mall and a cluster of buildings and (mostly) built by the same developers. Like LA, public transportation is possible (not reliable) but using the car would be more feasible, I don't know about LA but all the other "downtown" cores in my city are surrounded by highways.

I'm sorry, I should've made myself clear, I meant new retail, not the existing ones. I get all my LA sources from Mr. Brigham Yen and his amazing website. But please, I welcome everyone to correct my possibly false claim.

Lastly, I hope I'm not one of those rude commenters!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:16 PM
UrbanEnthusiast

How reliable is public transportation in LA? Are they (metro, bus) always on time?

It seems most of you guys here seem fine without a car, and that's how I'd like to live in the future.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLee21 View Post
How reliable is public transportation in LA? Are they (metro, bus) always on time?

It seems most of you guys here seem fine without a car, and that's how I'd like to live in the future.
The trains are pretty reliable, so that's a plus. There are a multitude of bus lines - not just Metro buses but also the DASH lines (which are shorter, cheaper local lines). I've taken the DASH a bunch of times and it's usually on time. The metro buses are also fine, but honestly like Quxiote said, the further the trip the less desirable the bus becomes. Lately we've started using Lyft to get around, especially if we're going out at night over to Echo Park or maybe coming home from the AD or Chinatown when walking isn't as palatable. So much easier than driving...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 5:28 PM
UrbanEnthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
The trains are pretty reliable, so that's a plus. There are a multitude of bus lines - not just Metro buses but also the DASH lines (which are shorter, cheaper local lines). I've taken the DASH a bunch of times and it's usually on time. The metro buses are also fine, but honestly like Quxiote said, the further the trip the less desirable the bus becomes. Lately we've started using Lyft to get around, especially if we're going out at night over to Echo Park or maybe coming home from the AD or Chinatown when walking isn't as palatable. So much easier than driving...
Oh that's really nice to hear. An on-time subway is a good subway.
I think long bus trips are undesirable anywhere in the world?

Lyft and Uber sound like amazing things, we don't have it here though, is it supposed to be cheaper than cabs?

Why is it not palatable? Is Downtown LA or LA in general not safe? I hate to sound stereotypical as of now, but are there any gun shootings around town? Or small crimes like theft or burglary?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 5:16 AM

From tonight:

Skyline View with 9th + Olive Onni & 8th + Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

More to come when I have time..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 6:05 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLee21 View Post
Why is it not palatable? Is Downtown LA or LA in general not safe? I hate to sound stereotypical as of now, but are there any gun shootings around town? Or small crimes like theft or burglary?
Most of Los Angeles, as most American cities, is generally safe during the day for most people as long as you don't go looking for trouble. While crime has been decreasing nationwide, particularly in our city centers for many years after it skyrocketed in the mid/late-20th century, we still have one of the highest crime rates in the developed world, and there are still areas that I would not venture into at night (mostly areas of concentrated poverty), where most real crime takes place. Downtown Los Angeles is not the bustling, 24 hour city experience you find in, say, Manhattan, and combined with the large homeless population residing in DTLA, it's probably not the greatest idea to walk around aimlessly at night. The US has the highest gun ownership rate on earth (as far as I'm aware, if somebody has statistics to prove me wrong, please do so) so yes, there are shootings. For the most part they tend to be concentrated in the poorest parts of our cities, and random people are not usually targets. It isn't something I would worry about. Small crime does happen, but it's not common enough that most people worry about or experience it regularly. Personally, I've never been robbed, shot, or burglarized, and very few people I know (even those who live in 'dangerous' areas here in D.C.) have. All this being said, there are walkable areas in LA that are quite safe at night, as previously mentioned, it's such a vast, multi-nodal and multi-layered city that generalizations don't really work. I've found that as long as you use common sense and don't go looking for trouble, you should be fine.

The thing with public transit in the US is that it depends entirely on where you are. City centers and surrounding areas are usually well-served by transit (at least in many of our larger cities), but as you start to go into the (vast, sprawling, spread-out) suburbs, quality of service declines. Not that you'd want to take public transit in the suburbs, since oftentimes there is no (or insufficient) pedestrian infrastructure, and distances are so long it just makes more sense to drive. Los Angeles is a bit of an anomaly as the urban core itself is huge and multi-nodal with widely varying densities, so public transit quality depends on where you are and where you want to go, although it has improved over the years, and will only continue to do so. The suburbs though are the same as anywhere else, you really just need a car.
_____

Why didn't I notice this thread earlier, the quality of photography is excellent!

Last edited by novaCJ; Jan 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaCJ View Post
Most of Los Angeles, as most American cities, is generally safe during the day for most people as long as you don't go looking for trouble. While crime has been decreasing nationwide, particularly in our city centers for many years after it skyrocketed in the mid/late-20th century, we still have one of the highest crime rates in the developed world, and there are still areas that I would not venture into at night (mostly areas of concentrated poverty), where most real crime takes place. Downtown Los Angeles is not the bustling, 24 hour city experience you find in, say, Manhattan, and combined with the large homeless population residing in DTLA, it's probably not the greatest idea to walk around aimlessly at night. The US has the highest gun ownership rate on earth (as far as I'm aware, if somebody has statistics to prove me wrong, please do so) so yes, there are shootings. For the most part they tend to be concentrated in the poorest parts of our cities, and random people are not usually targets. It isn't something I would worry about. Small crime does happen, but it's not common enough that most people worry about or experience it regularly. Personally, I've never been robbed, shot, or burglarized, and very few people I know (even those who live in 'dangerous' areas here in D.C.) have. All this being said, there are walkable areas in LA that are quite safe at night, as previously mentioned, it's such a vast, multi-nodal and multi-layered city that generalizations don't really work. I've found that as long as you use common sense and don't go looking for trouble, you should be fine.

The thing with public transit in the US is that it depends entirely on where you are. City centers and surrounding areas are usually well-served by transit (at least in many of our larger cities), but as you start to go into the (vast, sprawling, spread-out) suburbs, quality of service declines. Not that you'd want to take public transit in the suburbs, since oftentimes there is no (or insufficient) pedestrian infrastructure, and distances are so long it just makes more sense to drive. Los Angeles is a bit of an anomaly as the urban core itself is huge and multi-nodal with widely varying densities, so public transit quality depends on where you are and where you want to go, although it has improved over the years, and will only continue to do so. The suburbs though are the same as anywhere else, you really just need a car.
_____

Why didn't I notice this thread earlier, the quality of photography is excellent!
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 12:07 AM

Not DTLA, but something 30 miles south in Anaheim that deserves to be seen.

This is the caliber of architecture I wish we would get in Downtown LA.

ARTIC Station - Anaheim, CA by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 12:15 AM
life is good

Beautiful shot. MetroLink goes there right?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Beautiful shot. MetroLink goes there right?
Thanks!

Yes I believe they do, and Amtrak, and soon a streetcar.

And in 75-100 years Californias high-speed-rail just might.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 12:26 AM

A better shot of the Lindbergh Beacon:
Lindbergh Beacon Atop Los Angeles City Hall by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos