HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:37 AM

^ I go by that park daily, and it gets used heavily - from 6am (year-round boot camp) on...

Last edited by Locked In; Feb 7, 2012 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 4:44 AM

Article in the Globe talking to Beasley about his vision for the viaduct area.

A plan to behead Vancouver’s urban serpent: The Georgia Viaduct
HADANI DITMARS
The Globe and Mail
Friday, Feb. 17, 2012 1:03PM EST
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...2342247/page2/

Quote:
Crossing Main Street and the city’s historic railway station, an area that Mr. Beasley predicts could become the new eastern edge of a re-oriented downtown, he turns left towards the viaduct’s Union Street off ramp. Here you can see evidence of recent neighbourhood renewal, sparked primarily by the 10,000 new residents that have arrived here in the past decade, lured by projects like Citygate, and more recently by the Olympic Village.

On the southeast corner of Main and Prior, the old Bank of Montreal building has become a hip new space called the Denim Gallery Café. On its northern flank, the shrine to Jimi Hendrix speaks of the area’s history, and the sad fate of Hogan’s Alley, bulldozed for the new viaduct. Despite community opposition at the time, it was destroyed while Strathcona was narrowly saved from demolition by a robust residents association. “We really have to thank those people as city-building heroes,” says Mr. Green. “Just imagine what this place would be like if they hadn’t fought it.”

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:26 AM

So how, exactly, will they get those massive sweeping towers past the newly implemented view cones?
Seems like anything built in the area will have to be lowrise.

Staff Report on the new view cones:

http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/cclerk/...ents/penv5.pdf

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
Article in the Globe talking to Beasley about his vision for the viaduct area.

A plan to behead Vancouver’s urban serpent: The Georgia Viaduct
HADANI DITMARS
The Globe and Mail
Friday, Feb. 17, 2012 1:03PM EST
Gawd, another article with someone blathering on about Hogans Alley. Just an attempt to throw some political correctness in their argument. Its clear if you look at the footprint of the viaducts, and account for Prior, which would be there anyway, we're not talking about bulldozing the French Quarter. Why not lament for the lost Sikh area in Fairview that got displaced by light industrial, or the residential between Main and Cambie, north of Broadway?

And the anti-freeway backslappers conveniently ignore the fact they basically ruined 1st and 12th as residential neighbourhoods with their crusade.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 9:28 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Gawd, another article with someone blathering on about Hogans Alley. Just an attempt to throw some political correctness in their argument. Its clear if you look at the footprint of the viaducts, and account for Prior, which would be there anyway, we're not talking about bulldozing the French Quarter. Why not lament for the lost Sikh area in Fairview that got displaced by light industrial, or the residential between Main and Cambie, north of Broadway?

And the anti-freeway backslappers conveniently ignore the fact they basically ruined 1st and 12th as residential neighbourhoods with their crusade.
I fully agree!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:58 AM

I think its time people started informing others of what is happening behind the scenes.

Those of you who can, and I know there are a few here, collect and document all information that is suspicious regarding this likely(and im being generous) viaduct fiasco. Make sure to back it up, properly and dont miss any details no matter how trivial. Every little fact counts, trust me. You will know what to do with it when the time comes.

I have said on here a few times that city politics are imo "corrupt" the unfortunate side effect of only some 30% of the population voting and paying no attention. But like in all bad situations you can always find a bit of good, this makes people get lazy and complacent with the "illegal" stuff they do. Oh and yes there is plenty of illegal stuff going on with these viaducts, not just twisting facts but flat out rigging the facts, among other things.

I will have a surprise ready for all of you here, maybe soon, depends on the timing. I will send a sneak peak to two people here who I think I can gamble on making good use of the information and keeping it to them selves for now.

Was it Matrix where they said "if you cant fight the system, use the system" ? Or something along those lines. Anyways good point for people to remember.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I think its time people started informing others of what is happening behind the scenes.

Those of you who can, and I know there are a few here, collect and document all information that is suspicious regarding this likely(and im being generous) viaduct fiasco. Make sure to back it up, properly and dont miss any details no matter how trivial. Every little fact counts, trust me. You will know what to do with it when the time comes.

I have said on here a few times that city politics are imo "corrupt" the unfortunate side effect of only some 30% of the population voting and paying no attention. But like in all bad situations you can always find a bit of good, this makes people get lazy and complacent with the "illegal" stuff they do. Oh and yes there is plenty of illegal stuff going on with these viaducts, not just twisting facts but flat out rigging the facts, among other things.

I will have a surprise ready for all of you here, maybe soon, depends on the timing. I will send a sneak peak to two people here who I think I can gamble on making good use of the information and keeping it to them selves for now.

Was it Matrix where they said "if you cant fight the system, use the system" ? Or something along those lines. Anyways good point for people to remember.
whoot whoot

Last edited by hollywoodnorth; May 30, 2012 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Sure, why not.

I was contemplating going out and putting up a Save the Ducts' sign anyways.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 12:24 AM

anyone else???

interesting article that relates well to us here .... Meegs should read it for sure

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/com...-removals/897/

The Tricky Second Wave of Urban Highway Removals

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:48 AM

Don't think you even need to ask me, hehe. You all know my position! Funny thing is nearly all the students in my class at SFU, many whom are also bike enthusiasts, in URBAN GEOGRAPHY are against their removal as well, as are some SFU geo profs.

But i dont want to see such a facebook group become childish and rude in debating. Simply posting our beliefs and why, and then displaying how they can be incorporated perfectly well and the potential negative effects of having them removed. Also could mention how this has been money wasted during a tight budget period...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 4:30 PM

Proper administration and moderation of the group could cut down significantly on childishness. I'd be willing to help out, but my current location (well outside Vancouver) could handicap the influence of the group should it come to the spotlight. Would have to be one of those "favours from a friend" called in.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:15 PM

It seems a shame to tear down to perfectly good, and useful parts of infrastructure to replace them with low-rise housing that most of us will never be able to afford anyways.

If a park is so important, why not replace the parking lot currently under the viaducts and plant grass.

Bing bang, plan complete.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
It seems a shame to tear down to perfectly good, and useful parts of infrastructure to replace them with low-rise housing that most of us will never be able to afford anyways.

If a park is so important, why not replace the parking lot currently under the viaducts and plant grass.

...because grass doesn't grow well without sunlight.

Bing bang, dead lawn.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:16 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

They don't cover up that much area you know. We have a thing around here called low angle light.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post

Really, seriously? A park between two busy roads, Expo and Pacific, with an elevated roadway overhead. Just who is going to hang out there with the water a block away. I understand some people love the Viaducts but you are going to have to do better than that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 1:58 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

How about a Bike corral for the bikers to park their bikes under cover while they walk to the waterfront a block away, or to the arena or stadium. Surely the VACC could support that...best use

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 3:02 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I think more covered sports areas would probably be used quite well. If you haven't noticed that skate part is also usually quite busy. Rain, shine or after dark. It's partially covered and it's lit.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 9:38 AM

This link may have been posted in the previous 100+ pages.... http://thedependent.ca/news-and-opin...r-january-9th/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 9:35 PM

link broken

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 5:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
How about a Bike corral for the bikers to park their bikes under cover while they walk to the waterfront a block away, or to the arena or stadium. Surely the VACC could support that...best use
Well, if they are going to stay, might as well put a bike path underneath them although the SkyTrain guideway is more than enough to provide weather protection for cyclists.

There is also that silly overpass park over Carrall that could be turned into a covered play area for those that really want something like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure