HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:02 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerkled View Post
Jesus Christ...

Was that really necessary?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:08 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Bus depots in most cities ussually attract poor elements, but most bus depots are in the inner city.

So if you move the bus depot (Greyhound) to the airport will the problems follow it?
Using a highway bus for long range travel is bar none the worst method of travel available.

I really doubt that many "vagrants" would be able to survive hanging around the airport. The food is expensive, the accomadations are expensive, there is lots of security present, etc. Not exactly a low income friendly environment.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerkled View Post
Jesus Christ...

fucking typos............ dam i need to change the way i type...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
newflyer you ever taken the bus... and never seen vagrants at the bus depo so uhh wtf you going on about
You've truly, honestly never seem the local bums who hang out at the bus depot? You must not go there very often, or maybe our definition of the word "vagrant" differs somewhat.

Either way, the more colorful locals hang out there because it's downtown, not because it's the bus depot. Moving it to the airport won't bring them out that way, there's simply nothing there for them. What you will start seeing is an increase of people from northern communities at the airport, but I'm pretty sure that's not what was meant by "vagrants".

It's about time the city starts getting serious about cleaning up the area around the UofW. It's a shame to have such a large urban campus in an area that many students are afraid to walk around at night.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:59 PM
What could go wrong?

A new Bus Depot would definately not be a part of the new Air Terminal Building. There is a ton of available land at the airport. At worst it could be located at the south end of the existing terminal. The Museum would most likely occupy the northern end of the terminal with an addition. There is a plan to build some form of office building on the northern fringe of the existing terminal to close the gap between the new terminal and the old terminal and hotel.

I really don't think that the added congestion of buses in and around the Air terminal would be feasable. They would most likely build close to the new retention pond near the Sargent exit. Easy for bus movements.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:40 PM
Mooderator

maybe with the Depot there this might open up plans for a direct road connection to the Perimeter?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 8:01 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
maybe with the Depot there this might open up plans for a direct road connection to the Perimeter?
This was in the Plan 2020 (is that what it's called?) which calls for the "Airport Expressway" to connect it to the Perimeter.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 12:03 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
If this was in fact a problem, I still don't like the idea of trying to plan our airport/bus depot so that middle and upper class people don't see the poor... I'd rather work to fix the "vagrant" problem than try and hide it from the world.
Hiding it is probably the best we can do. Obviously the reason for this is to get rid of the sort of people who hang around the bus depot in order to allow for the further gentrification of Portage around the Bay and U of W. I don't really think that bums and drunks have some inherent right to have bus terminals located in places where they can be "visible" and thereby do the greatst possible damage to efforts to reclaim downtown for everyone else.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 12:05 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
It's about time the city starts getting serious about cleaning up the area around the UofW. It's a shame to have such a large urban campus in an area that many students are afraid to walk around at night.
Yes, it's another opportunity missed. Maybe Lloyd Axworthy's ego will prove to be the massive force that is required to get some change going in the area.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 12:35 AM
Density and complexity

Bus depot belongs downtown

In the absence of the quality passenger rail service that once linked Canadian towns and cities, inter-urban bus lines serve travellers without the means or desire to go by airline or automobile.

As a teenager growing up in Portage la Prairie in the late ‘90s, attracted to nearby Winnipeg’s cultural amenities and dusty urban charms, the Greyhound bus was my conveyance. For the hour-and-some ride, I would sit with my walkmen and read, or simply stare out the window and watch farmland turn into suburb, and suburb to city, until the bus finally arrived at the terminal at Portage and Balmoral. For the occasional passengers destined for the airport, the bus would detour to Winnipeg International. It would do the same if anyone wanted off at Polo Park. The rest of us were headed downtown.

In Winnipeg, like in any other city, the bus terminal was a dreary and underwhelming place, devoid of the jet-setting sleekness of an airport concourse, or the soaring grandiosity of a train station. It was cavernous and dull, thanks to neon lights and low ceilings--two characteristics of ‘60s-era design. The bathrooms were perpetually dirty, and the news stand clerks usually ornery.

But it was from this terminal that Winnipeg was at my fingertips. Coming from a small city where the tallest building was a grain elevator, it was always with a sense of wonder that I stepped out onto the street and walked down the canyonesque Portage Avenue. A ten-minute walk would take me to Osborne Village, the Exchange District, or Music Baron on Portage--a popular rendezvous point which to my friends and I what the Eaton’s clock was to past generations. If my destination was beyond downtown, every major transit route stopped at The Bay.

Now, as a new airport terminal is constructed, and the University of Winnipeg announces a flurry of campus expansion projects, the Greyhound’s downtown location is being questioned. While buses aren’t as loud as jet engines, or need a runway for take off, there is talk of moving all the way out to the newly-christened James A. Richardson International Airport.

Not surprisingly, bus passengers are dismayed by this speculatory move. The airport is too far from much more than industrial warehouses, trucking lots and snow drifts. Visitors to Winnipeg--or with a few hours of layover to kill--searching for a hotel, a pub, a coffee shop, or anything remotely interesting, would be in for a disappointment.

It seems the only people that do favour the terminal’s move likely never take the bus themselves. Winnipeg Centre MP Pat Martin, for one, seems happy the Greyhound terminal, along with its jobs and visitors, may soon be leaving his riding. Its current location is “a nuisance, a headache, an absolute disaster,” and “so inappropriate”, he told reporters. Clearly, any pretenses of social justice are lost on the NDP MP of one of Canada’s poorest federal ridings, as Mr. Martin--who travels by air at taxpayer’s expense--seems indifferent to the concerns of financially limited travellers.

For people who actually travel by Greyhound, the current location offers convenience. Downtown has the highest concentration of hotels and attractions, and is equal distance from everywhere else; no matter where in the city you’re headed from the terminal, transit service will be good, and cab fares will be low.

But this is an era of big press conferences, flashy conceptual drawings, and exciting ribbon-cuttings, and pragmatics sometimes get left out in the rapture. Dreary as the bus terminal is, it works fine. It isn’t great, but neither is travelling by bus. What matters is that fares are reasonably priced, and the terminal is central. A facelift would certainly be in order, or perhaps a new downtown location, but it should always remain in the centre of the city.

Recognizing the inconvenience a move to the airport would be for travellers, a shuttle service to downtown is also being pondered. While this may seem like an exercize in redundancy--the shuttle would just take everyone where the bus used to take them at no extra hassle, wait time, or expense--unveiling the new service would make for a great press conference.

Airports, because of their noise and demand for space, have every reason to be at the edge of a city. Bus terminals, like train stations, have every reason to be at the centre.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 3:11 AM
Starring as himself

There's no particular reason that some buses couldn't stop both closer to downtown, or right downtown, and at a terminal by the airport. Buses coming into Toronto often stop at Yorkdale first and then at the grimy downtown terminus.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 5:24 AM

I just gotta share my favourite bus depot story.

It was the late seventies, I was about 6 or 7, and my dad took me to the bus depot to pick up my Grandma who took the bus into town. While waiting I had to go to the bathroom. My dad was upset because he made me pee about 4 times before we left in order to avoid this scenario. My dad's checking out the stalls, banging on a few doors. They were coin operated back in the day. Dad pops in a nickel or whatever, the door swings open, and there's two guys, one kneeling in front of the other. My dad slams the door shut, takes me home, and makes a return trip for grannie. It took me many many years to figure out what was going on.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 5:56 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I just gotta share my favourite bus depot story.

It was the late seventies, I was about 6 or 7, and my dad took me to the bus depot to pick up my Grandma who took the bus into town. While waiting I had to go to the bathroom. My dad was upset because he made me pee about 4 times before we left in order to avoid this scenario. My dad's checking out the stalls, banging on a few doors. They were coin operated back in the day. Dad pops in a nickel or whatever, the door swings open, and there's two guys, one kneeling in front of the other. My dad slams the door shut, takes me home, and makes a return trip for grannie. It took me many many years to figure out what was going on.
Winnipeg had pay toilets in the 70s? Seriously?

I don't think I've ever seen a pay toilet anywhere; I've always felt like I was missing out on something fun.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 6:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Winnipeg had pay toilets in the 70s? Seriously?

I don't think I've ever seen a pay toilet anywhere; I've always felt like I was missing out on something fun.
we had public washrooms under the streets in many places that had a set of stairs right in the midle of the sidewalk to get down to...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 2:30 PM
Mooderator

give me a good ol' alley anyday..

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 7:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Vagrants? How so? What would they be doing at the extremity of the city?
Hopefully leaving.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Hopefully leaving.
..................to Calgary

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Vagrants? How so? What would they be doing at the extremity of the city?
Quote:
Hopefully leaving.
Quote:
..................to Calgary
.... now theres a social program I could really get behind..

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 4:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
.... now theres a social program I could really get behind..
ya put them to work in the jobs no body wants like tim hortans, seven 11, ect ect ect

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:04 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ya put them to work in the jobs no body wants like tim hortans, seven 11, ect ect ect
yeah they could earn $11/hr at Tim's ..... it sure beats hanging out at the bus depot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan