HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 12:23 AM
proboscum

I was away for the holidays, but the following buildings have also been completed:

Takanawa The Residence (153.9 m), Shirokane Aer City Shirokane Tower (141.9 m) and NBF Platina Tower (116.35 m), and Akasaka Garden City (106.2 m).

That's everything for 2005, making a total of 22.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 7:18 AM
proboscum

Toyosu IHI Building, Park Tower Shinagawa Bayward, Akihabara UDX, and Galleria Grande are all completed.

Now 3 of the 4 main towers in Akihabara's redevelopment plan (Akihabara Dai Building, Akihabara UDX, and Tokyo Times Tower) have been completed. The 4th one (Fujisoft ABC Akihabara Building) should be completed by January of next year.

Brillia Tower Tokyo, Olinas Tower, World City Towers Aqua Tower, Mitsubishi Shoji Marunouchi New Office Building, Axe The Tower Shinjuku are also expected to be completed by the end of March.

Tokyo's one truly interesting proposed skyscraper, Tokyo Mode Gakuen Coccoon Tower, I believe is under construction. I will have to check the site out to be sure.

So far this is the only rendering I've seen of it anywhere. I hope a better quality one will be released, but maybe not since it's not a residential building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 6:32 AM
proboscum

A few more buildings have been completed:

Mitsubishi Shoji Marunouchi Building

Olinas Tower (left) and Brillia Tower Tokyo (right)

Last edited by LeeWilson; Mar 31, 2006 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 3:22 AM

Thanks for the updates and the keeping the list, LeeWilson.

Tokyo has quite alot going up. I dont know how long you have been there, but have you noticed any major or visible overall change in the density or "vertical density" of the city over the last few years from all these towers going up? Or is tokyo just so big that this boom hasn't had much of an effect, so far at least?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 4:10 AM
proboscum

A lot of the buildings (primarily residential ones) are slightly isolated, or at least not right up near other ones, so they sometimes go up without having a huge impact. I've been here for only three years, and it took me a while to get really familiar with most of the highrises in Tokyo. A lot of the construction is pretty spread out, but some of it is concentrated in certain areas, and with so many buildings going up, it's hard not to notice them all.

For example, the six tallest buildings in this picture (including the not so tall but large building in the bottom left) did not exist when I first moved here.

The area around Tokyo station (Marunouchi/Otemachi/Yaesu) is also changing. Also Shibaura/Mita and Shinagawa (Konan) are changing a bit with mostly residential highrises. Shinagawa changed drastically a couple years ago with a bunch of office buildings near the station, but was basically complete by the time I arrived.

Thanks for your interest.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 5:51 AM
proboscum

The panorama I made in this thread might give you an idea of how it's looking.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 8:08 AM
proboscum

3 more have been completed, bringing the total of completed buildings over 99 m in 2006 to 11.

World City Towers Aqua Tower, 138.15 m

G-Project, 126.5 m
This is only a temporary name for the building, but I haven't seen it myself, so I don't have any pictures and I don't know what its real name is.

Axe The Tower Shinjuku, 104.4 m
I don't have any pictures of the completed building, just this proposal picture

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 8:56 AM
YIMBY co-founder

^11 done already? We're not even a third of the way thru the year! :O
World City Towers Aqua Tower looks to like a moster in terms of m², just like alot of Tokyo buildings, yet they made it look good anyway - not all that easy.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 2:07 PM
proboscum

Tokyo Mode Gakuen Coccoon Tower is under construction. I'm looking forward to seeing this one being built since it shows more imagination than anything else going up lately.

Also Konan 4-chome 3rd Danchi Redevelopment Project is under construction. I forgot to post it.

Last edited by LeeWilson; May 22, 2006 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 2:20 PM
Time/Space

^ That one looks really good! Very nice Tokyo.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 7:45 AM
proboscum

The proposal list has been updated and expanded. I'm still working on compiling the renderings.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 4:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I like it! It's a nice departure from the typical Tokyo box.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 8:51 AM
proboscum

Mitsubishi released a rendering of the Mitsubishi Shoji Building - Furukawa Building - Marunouchi-Yaesu Building Replacement Plan, which you can see here:

A couple new proposals have been added.
Harumi 3-chome West Area Redevelopment (preliminary rendering):

Higashi-Gotanda 2-chome Second Area Urban Redevelopment Project

I'll be updating the proposal renderings on the first page soon.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2006, 8:49 AM
proboscum

The renderings for proposed buildings have been added to the first page.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2006, 8:53 AM

props to you Lee!!!!!
good to know whats goin on in the big city next door.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2006, 2:21 AM
proboscum

Thanks. It's hard to keep track of everything going on here.

Here are a couple construction photos from the Tokyo station area. I apologize for the weather, it was pretty crummy.

Sapia Tower

GranTokyo North and South

Here's a rendering with the Sapia Tower on the left and the GranTokyo towers to the right.

Last edited by LeeWilson; Jul 9, 2006 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 1:38 AM

Defending the boxes

I must agree with you that a lot of the new buildings look boxy, but there have been some really interesting designs go up in the last 10 years or so:

NTT DoCoMo Yoyogi Building, Metropolitian Government Building, Tokyo Mid-Town Tower, Roppongi Hills Mori Tower, Shinjuku Park Tower, Opera City Tower, Saint Luke's Tower, Ministry of Defense Building B, NTV Headquarters, Izumi Garden Tower, Shiodome City Center, Dentsu Headquarters Building Tokyo Mode Gakuen Coccoon Tower, Shinjuku Oak Tower, Cerulean Tower Atago Green Hills Mori Tower, NEC Supertower, Mita Project, NTT DoCoMo Shinagawa Building, as well as the cluster of buildings they made in Shinagawa and the others in the Shiodome area.

I think the problem is that the crazier designs involve different styles of structural support, and they haven't got good enough technology to design them big and wacky in a place that"s expecting to get hit by a huge earthquake anytime now.

For really interesting buildings and creativity that beats most cities I have seen, you have to step away from the skyscrapers and look to the buildings that aren't so tall. But, this is the skyscrapers page so I will shut up now.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 4:51 AM
proboscum

Thanks for replying. I would say you're mostly right on all counts there, except that I think your list of examples of outstanding buildings shows that some imagination is indeed possible. Sometimes we get a nice one. As for lowrises, one I like that is interesting and easily noticeable is the New National Arts Center Building:

Anyway, I've been a little lax on the job here. I haven't had the chance to get out to some of the places to confirm construction or completion, but the following buildings are now complete:

Shibarikyu Building:

The Towers Daiba:

East Commons Kiyosumi-Shirakawa

There are at least 10 buildings that may have begun construction, so I guess I will have to check those ones out soon.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 5:48 AM
proboscum

Sun City Ginza East and Toyosu Center Building Annex have been completed.

Sun City Ginza East

Toyosu Center Building Annex

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 8:41 AM
proboscum

Also, Nishi-Shinjuku 7-chome Building Plan, Toyosu 3-chome Block 9-2 Plan, and Toyosu 3-chome Block 8-3 Plan are all under construction. Additionally, I have added Kachidoki 1-chome Project to the proposed buildings:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations