HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
How about restoring the old at grade Interurban track between New Westminster and Vancouver? Remnants of it still exist from New West up to Nelson Avenue in Burnaby.

Obviously, it would be a waste to rebuild it and tunnel it through sections that have since been built over just for a late night Skytrain backup system by itself, but combined with a new rail bridge at New Westminster, could be shared for the following uses:
  • Late night Skytrain alternative.
  • Amtrak train (future high speed rail) to Seattle.
  • South of Fraser commuter rail to Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford. (It could help to alleviate the overflow on the Expo Line when it reaches capacity.)
  • VIA train to Toronto.
  • Possible passenger train to Kamloops and other points in the Interior.
Could it work?

I'm not an engineer, but I have often wondered about that old right-of-way, too. It must be good for something, and I think it merits a study. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable members have an idea. Let's hope so.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 4:51 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
well they have to maintain the switches too.
I don't think switches neet all that maintenance with the exception of the moving parts and controls. If you bring them down for short periods and have maintenance broken down into 15 minute chunks it could work, otherwise have planned outages for big maintenance events. You could also havesome better forms of condition based monitoring keep down the number of unneccessary maintenance events.

Remember the big maintenance item on skytrain is the reactor rail.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 6:12 AM

aren't there enough switches that while some are used to let trains pass each other, others could be down for maintenance, and rotate?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 8:36 AM

I don't understand the maintenance argument. I think it just all comes down to funding. Berlin's UBahn is only two tracks yet on Friday and Saturday nights the run all night at 15min headways with no problem. The SBahn also only has two tracks and runs at 30 minute headways outside the city centre and 10 minutes within (multiple lines on same track through the centre)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 9:56 AM
loafing in lotusland

I can see 24-hour service on Friday and Saturday Night.

Even in New York, some lines are only one train per hour. At those frequencies, I'd rather have a "Train Bus" which runs every 15 minutes and hits most of the stations.

If a bus is marketed as a SkyBus and hits all the stations outside the downtown core, people will be more willing to take it. Sure, it would take longer, but that is less of a concern at that time of the morning.

It would probably be cheaper to run as well.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I can see 24-hour service on Friday and Saturday Night.

Even in New York, some lines are only one train per hour. At those frequencies, I'd rather have a "Train Bus" which runs every 15 minutes and hits most of the stations.

If a bus is marketed as a SkyBus and hits all the stations outside the downtown core, people will be more willing to take it. Sure, it would take longer, but that is less of a concern at that time of the morning.

It would probably be cheaper to run as well.
Problem is currently night bus service doesn't hit all stations.... I use 22nd street and the night buses pretty much do everything but come close to me.

They should extend the hours to 3 am on weekends.... easily done. Hell charge me 10 bucks to use the train after 1... it's just insane in Vancouver to get around late night.

I can either pay 50$ bucks for a cab to new west (WTF is up with cab fares) or take the N19 and walk 30 mins from Kingsway to 22nd street station. Lame options to say the least.

My best option is to park in Pacific Center for 6 bucks and sleep in the bed of my truck until i'm sober to drive home.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 8:41 AM

First off the starting times on Saturday and Sunday are horrific for Skytrain Expo and Millenium. The trains should start at the same time Mon-Sat, and use what is now Saturday for Sunday morning service with the early close still the same for Sunday.

What really needs to be done is bring the NightBuses closer to 24/7 service as we have seen with the N10. And add extra trips when Skytrain is closed. The Skeletal network is great, it just needs another trip and hour later both ways and I would be happy, end of story. Maybe even add a few more NightBuses. No point wasting 5x more reasources when you can do it with a NightBus, and honestly it is only a 4 hour gap. Put in another 1-2 trips, remove some of the duplications of regular buses and NightBuses and we'd all be happy.

What are your opinions on this forumers?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 9:27 AM

I'd love to see the N19 increased in service. Everytime i take it its horrible. Also it would be nice if they could set up one in surrey along the newton to guildford via central route. or atleast maybe push the n19 up to guildford and have another route go down king george to newton in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
I'd love to see the N19 increased in service. Everytime i take it its horrible. Also it would be nice if they could set up one in surrey along the newton to guildford via central route. or atleast maybe push the n19 up to guildford and have another route go down king george to newton in the near future.
The N19 is horrible.......

Every other Nightbus leaving downtown.... I envy. Especially the Coquitlam bound ones... they are always articulated and empty.

The N19 is always a regular bus but departs always half full. Also the other downer is it circles the DTES and picks up some unpleasant people. It also stops so freaking much... damn bus drivers going for Timmy's ect... I get off at New West I feel for people going to surrey.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:07 PM

ha ha, I did that route 2 weeks ago. Left downtown around 2ish, wasn't home till 4:30. And that was with the cab that picked me up from Surrey Central.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 6:01 PM

Agreed with the N19. I can't believe they still use 40' buses for that route.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure