HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Here's the thing, though:
One source (which I don't remember by now) says that Boushie was sleeping the entire time when the entire fiasco happened.
(No, I did not overlook the fact that a robbery was taking place and that Gerald Stanley just wanted to protect his property and family. I had borne that in mind.)

If that was the case, Boushie really had no part in the robbery, at all.
If that wasn't, though, then, I have nothing else to say.

Ps: Maybe that FSIN "don't want business owners/farmers to have more rights to protect themselves" prompted the defense to disqualify anyone looking aboriginal during peremptory challenge??

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:18 PM

I havent read or really heard anything about this case till yesterday, on the radio they were talking about the protests in vancouver and said the victim was looking for help for a flat tire. Not sure what is what now.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I havent read or really heard anything about this case till yesterday, on the radio they were talking about the protests in vancouver and said the victim was looking for help for a flat tire. Not sure what is what now.
That's what the half-dozen media reports I'd heard about this over the past year or so led me to believe about this as well.

Until I started reading up on it more in the wake of the recent judgement.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 9:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I can sort of deduce a "us vs them" mindset from SpongeG's response, though.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:31 AM

how so? Until the verdict i heard about a few seconds of coverage on the radio in the car yesterday

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how so? Until the verdict i heard about a few seconds of coverage on the radio in the car yesterday
Oops sorry I meant Saskscraper. I'm bad with names.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa is now at 5.

If this keeps up the city is on pace to end the year with a murder rate of 3 or 3.5 per 100,000. Which would be similar to... New York City's.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's what the half-dozen media reports I'd heard about this over the past year or so led me to believe about this as well.

Until I started reading up on it more in the wake of the recent judgement.
Same here. However, the situation turned out to be much more complicated than that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:31 PM
the first stamp is free

The big issue with this case is that Boushie's family went into the trial looking for nothing other than justice, which in their minds meant Stanley had to found guilty of something - or justice wouldn't be served.

While this is understandable, it is certainly the wrong tact to be taking, especially for anyone outside of the people/families with direct involvement.

The purpose of the trial was to go through the evidence, not to confirm someone's preconceived opinions. To me, this is a failure of leadership, especially with respect to the all the various First Nations organizations and groups that have been vocal throughout this process, and now after we all have a better idea as to what lead to the entire altercation.

Honestly, I think the Crown became a little caught up within this outside pressure, as to me, following this trial - second degree murder was not even a remotely provable charge in this case. I think manslaughter should have been the ultimate verdict, but the Crown kept hammering away at the second degree charge. It became pretty obvious based on the testimony of the witnesses, that this was not going to hold up.

I think personally, if they had gone for a manslaughter charge, it is possible that would have been the verdict.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The big issue with this case is that Boushie's family went into the trial looking for nothing other than justice, which in their minds meant Stanley had to found guilty of something - or justice wouldn't be served.

While this is understandable, it is certainly the wrong tact to be taking, especially for anyone outside of the people/families with direct involvement.

The purpose of the trial was to go through the evidence, not to confirm someone's preconceived opinions. To me, this is a failure of leadership, especially with respect to the all the various First Nations organizations and groups that have been vocal throughout this process, and now after we all have a better idea as to what lead to the entire altercation.

Honestly, I think the Crown became a little caught up within this outside pressure, as to me, following this trial - second degree murder was not even a remotely provable charge in this case. I think manslaughter should have been the ultimate verdict, but the Crown kept hammering away at the second degree charge. It became pretty obvious based on the testimony of the witnesses, that this was not going to hold up.

I think personally, if they had gone for a manslaughter charge, it is possible that would have been the verdict.
Yeah, the Crown can most definitely screw up a case sometimes.

As they kind of did in the Jian Ghomeshi trial IMO. (Though the circumstances were quite different of course.)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:17 PM

2 more for Ottawa. Currently at 6. Gatineau still at 1.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So Ottawa is currently running at about one murder per week. If it ends the year with that pace, it will have 52 murders or a rate of about 5 per 100,000.

Sorry to harp about NYC but I checked their stats and they have about 30 murders so far. At this rate they'll end up with about 250 which is less than last year's historical low which was around 285 I think, and gave them a murder rate of about 3.5 per 100,000.

I've lived in or near Ottawa off and on for about half of my life, and if you'd have told me in the 1980s or 1990s that it might one day have a higher murder rate than the Big Apple, I would have sent you to have your head examined.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think Montreal is at 3.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:45 PM

Apparently Baltimore just had it's longest streak without a homicide in 4 years, 11 DAYS!!!!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Apparently Baltimore just had it's longest streak without a homicide in 4 years, 11 DAYS!!!!
I'm actually impressed by that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:14 PM

January 2018 Canadian Homicide Statistics

http://homicidecanada.com/january-20...de-statistics/

Canada January Homicide Count: 58
Males: 41
Females: 17

Up from 50 last year.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:18 PM

An Ottawa man was shot and killed in Ottawa the other day in a "police involved shooting". The dead man had apparently stabbed two people in a supermarket in a "dispute over cereal" (sic). Not one for the homicide count, in all likelihood, but stabbings and shooting attributed to cereal really demand to be posted.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
An Ottawa man was shot and killed in Ottawa the other day in a "police involved shooting". The dead man had apparently stabbed two people in a supermarket in a "dispute over cereal" (sic). Not one for the homicide count, in all likelihood, but stabbings and shooting attributed to cereal really demand to be posted.
Part of the "new normal" for Ottawa, or so some people seem to think.

Still in Ottawa, the police are reporting a 7th homicide for 2018 but the assault actually took place last year. The victim had been hospitalized since then but died just a few days ago.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:06 PM

Ottawa the Murder Capital of Canada in 2018?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:33 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay had its second homicide on Monday, and the accused has fled and is now subject to a nation-wide warrant.

CBC Article

The victim was a 63 year old man. He also assaulted a 25 year old woman. The accused is 31.

https://www.thunderbaypolice.ca/news...charles-casmey

I've actually met this guy on a few occasions (he lives in my neighbourhood and would walk around it a lot, selling drugs and stuff), he's squirrelly as fuck and I didn't feel particularly comfortable around him. This occurred near my neighbourhood which has seen a significant reduction in homicides in recent years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada