HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 5:27 PM

Block 216 Tower - Ritz Hotel and Condos | 459'-11 1/2" | 35 floors | Complete

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
It will be a damned shame to lose those food carts but I guess it was a matter of time.

Congrats also to Mac for the nextportland mention at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:58 PM

I have always thought the food carts, at least some, should go to O'Bryan Square. The city needs to get the situation fixed and that park reopened. I think it would be a great food cart location.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 7:01 PM

This is fantastic news. I only wish --and I rarely say this-- that it was proposed to be (and zoned for) about twenty stories taller. This would be a good spot IMO for a really tall (for PDX) building. The comments on the linked O article are priceless, btw.

I also hope, because the timing seems a little dicey to me, that it doesn't become another hole in the ground a la PAW.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:23 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I also hope, because the timing seems a little dicey to me, that it doesn't become another hole in the ground a la PAW.
My thoughts exactly.

I'll be honestly surprised if the U.S. isn't in a recession 2 years from now, and it could be another bad one.

I'll also echo the comments above about O'Bryant Square. It would be great to see that spot become the next food cart site. Either that, or sell the darn block and redevelop it, because O'Bryant Square has been awful for as long as I can remember and now it's closed - indefinitely.

Quote:
Portland closes O'Bryant Square and underground garage 'indefinitely' for safety concerns

"After hearing the expert opinions of engineers who have studied this facility, we feel it is necessary to close off access to O'Bryant Square Park and the O'Bryant Square SmartPark Garage," Transportation Director Leah Treat and Parks & Recreation Director Mike Abbate said in a joint statement. "This closure will ensure the public is safe while we consider long-term options."

All options are on the table, according to transportation spokesman Dylan Rivera, including rehabbing the garage or demolishing the structure altogether.

"We need more time and information," he said.

The Oregonian - 3/5/2018

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 PM

Great to hear about a tall proposal, but of course I'd much rather see it around the Ankeny blocks, with its multiple dead zone parking lots. This site is a huge people draw with the food carts. I hope they find a good replacement home nearby.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 12:07 AM

DJC reporting ($) that the architects are GBD.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 12:44 AM
A before E

Great news, although in the very early stages, it will be sad to see the food carts go but they have always been temporary. Moving them to other empty lots should be the focus once this gets closer to construction.

Of course redeveloping O'Bryant Square into an outdoor food cart square would be ideal to create a permanent location for outdoor food carts. Plus it makes sense for developments to take on indoor food cart markets similar to Pine Street Market.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Great news... But whatever happened to the 24 story tower proposed couple blocks from here? I’m thinking if that one got cancelled this one has no chance

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxguy View Post
Great news... But whatever happened to the 24 story tower proposed couple blocks from here? I’m thinking if that one got cancelled this one has no chance
This one?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ht=Eleven+west

It was approved a few months ago but I haven’t heard any updates on it since.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 5:00 AM

They're still trying to obtain financing. For those without a DJC subscription the story should be unlocked next week.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
This is fantastic news. I only wish --and I rarely say this-- that it was proposed to be (and zoned for) about twenty stories taller. This would be a good spot IMO for a really tall (for PDX) building. The comments on the linked O article are priceless, btw.

Portland office market is in an interesting situation. Rents have risen significantly in recent years, but vacancy rates have been rising at the same time. Downtown office vacancy rate is over 10%. Projects under development will add 3% to downtown office space inventory. Lloyd office vacancy rate is much tighter. Overall Portland office vacancy rate is nearing 11%, up from under 9% a few years ago. Some new office buildings seem to have good leasing demand (Field Office etc), other seemingly desirable space is having a hard time leasing (Meier & Frank building). Construction costs are high and rising. There is still a pretty good flow of design work in office, unlike in multifamily (say architects I know - what say you all?).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:14 PM

Eleven West

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Portland office market is in an interesting situation. Rents have risen significantly in recent years, but vacancy rates have been rising at the same time. Downtown office vacancy rate is over 10%. Projects under development will add 3% to downtown office space inventory. Lloyd office vacancy rate is much tighter. Overall Portland office vacancy rate is nearing 11%, up from under 9% a few years ago. Some new office buildings seem to have good leasing demand (Field Office etc), other seemingly desirable space is having a hard time leasing (Meier & Frank building). Construction costs are high and rising. There is still a pretty good flow of design work in office, unlike in multifamily (say architects I know - what say you all?).
the vacancy rate in Portland is pretty low as compared to other major cities

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
the vacancy rate in Portland is pretty low as compared to other major cities
Granted. Portland CBD class A vacancy rate 8.3% vs national 11.9%. But both rates are going up. Office market is slowing or peaking and about to slow, depending on area. There are some markets still in the earlier growth cycle, we're not one of them.

I think in future years we'll look back and see that 2017 was the peak of development activity in Portland. Depends on role. The contractors see the peak a couple years after the design firms.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:00 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 10:00 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Quote:
"Some of the carts could move to the block immediately north and east of the proposed downtown tower."
I'm not a subscriber, so the rest of the article is locked... but O'Bryant Square was closed 'indefinitely' for safety concerns (scroll up the page here for more info on that). O'Bryant Square would definitely be better off as a food cart block, though due to the current design of the park there, I'm not sure how many carts it could fit.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I'm not a subscriber, so the rest of the article is locked... but O'Bryant Square was closed 'indefinitely' for safety concerns (scroll up the page here for more info on that). O'Bryant Square would definitely be better off as a food cart block, though due to the current design of the park there, I'm not sure how many carts it could fit.
Andy Giegerich – Digital Managing Editor, Portland Business Journal a day ago
Should a new 33-story office tower take the place of the 10th and Alder food cart pod, a new option for what's a legitimate Portland tourist attraction could sit just 50 feet away.
A source said Greg Goodman, of the Downtown Development Group, is floating the idea of establishing a pod at the embattled O'Bryant Square, which sits kitty-corner from the 60-cart offering that attracts thousands of tourists and downtown workers each day.
O'Bryant Square consists of a park and a Smart Park city garage underneath. However, both the park, on the block between Southwest Washington and Stark streets and Ninth and Park avenues, and the garage are closed. The park closed in early March because of the structural issues affecting the garage, which has been closed since September.
Goodman, citing a confidentiality agreement, couldn't discuss any specifics of either the tower or the possibility of relocating downtown's largest pod. Last Thursday, the company, which is looking to develop 11 properties it owns in downtown Portland, presented preliminary plans for a mixed-use structure on the block surrounding by Southwest Alder and Washington streets and Ninth and 10th avenues.
At O'Bryant Square, engineers discovered cracks and leaks, along with concrete damage, from the park above the O'Bryant Square Smart Park during a scheduled repair project. A subsequent examination "found deficiencies in joists, walls, columns and footings that lead officials to believe it would not be safe to allow crowds of people to use the park," the city said in March.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation is handling the repairs.
Mark Ross, communications officer for Portland Parks & Recreation, said any speculation about future uses for rhe site would need to wait until the extent of the structural issues is determined.
"I know people enjoy that space for lunch and other things, but the first thing that has to happen is that PBOT has to fix the underground garage, which is unsafe," Ross said.
The O'Bryant Square block is roughly half the size of the 10th and Alder pod block.Downtown Development Group filed an "early assistance application" for the site at 900 S.W. Washington Street. The permit suggests that the project could one day accommodate offices, residential units and a hotel.
The Goodmans' current application requires the developer and the city to meet ahead of time to discuss land use, transportation issues and other development services needs. The Goodmans have also applied for a consultation with Portland's Design Commission.
The family has said that any development of its empty lots that host food cart pods, popular with foodies visiting Portland, would likely mean pods could be reestablished on other Goodman properties.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:01 AM

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:30 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland