HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:40 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Not a huge fan of those either, but I think I give them at least a partial pass because the associations with the old world feels relatively more present there. Same reason Victoria isn't as bad in my mind. But yeah, ideally I think they could all be better named.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is probably my favourite.
<snip>
A bit of trivia - an interview in 1969 with Joni Mitchell.

How often do you get the business about Saskatoon?

JM: Oh, people ask me about it. I guess people are kind of curious about it, having heard it mentioned in a Bing Crosby movie once.

SW: Which one?

JM: Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Did you ever see that?

SW: No.

JM: Well, you know the story about a Connecticut Yankee goes back in time to the time of King Arthur's Court and everything, and Merlin gets really jealous of him because of all his 20th century magical powers. And so he's about to be hung and he knows though that particular day there's going to be an eclipse of the sun so he's trying one last trick, and he's standing up there and they're about to put the rope around his neck and he's waiting for the eclipse of the sun and he's murmuring all these magical words and he went "Bibbipty Bobbipty Boo, Kalamazoo, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan" and put us on the map!
<end snip>
Source:
http://jonimitchell.com/library/print.cfm?id=2696

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Did you know that:

Campobello Island NB is a Canadian exclave.

It's only year round access is via the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Bridge from Lubec ME. In order to get back into Canada, you have to drive for an hour though Washington County ME.

The island has a very American feel about it. The residents speak with a down east Maine accent. Guards at the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Peace Park on the island (where the FDR cottage is) all wear American park ranger uniforms. The place has a weird "not quite in Canada" feel to it. Campobello feels exotic, it's isolation is compelling and its a beautiful place too. It's one of my favourite places in NB.

There are several American exclaves along the border (like Point Roberts WA), but I'm pretty sure that Campobello is the only Canadian exclave.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Well to be fair it's not an actual logical map in my head, but associations with places. I think for me its partially the character of the mountains, the highly compressed defined ranges in Canada form a gateway to the coast in my mind (being from Alberta). Those ranges get dispersed almost immediately south of the border. So my expectation would be for the rockies to continue along and be more consistent with the Sierra Nevada, which would actually keep Arizona fairly analgous to Sask.

This is also the landscape I would most associate with Arizona so SK doesn't feel like a stretch to me.

There also just the cultural associations and the fact that US has much more of a contiuum, as opposed to Canada being by an area of very sparse population. The idea of Saskatchewan being 'central' and trying to compare it to U.S. midwestern states will never feel right to me. I don't think Canada has anything comparable to the midwest - we have shield instead and that shifts many of my associations.
I agree with you completely, The first time I had ever been in North Eastern Arizona (east of Grand Canyon/north of Meteor Crater) I couldn't help but think of how similar it looked to SouthWestern Saskatchewan. In actual fact, SouthWest corner of Saskatchewan is closer to Arizona than it is to the diagonal opposite corner of the Province. Also SouthWest corner of Saskatchewan you can see Montana's mountains leading up to the Rockies.

Most Canadians can only think of one.. maybe two things geographically of Saskatchewan. That it's flat. There's maybe some Canadians that know that forest & lakes are the Northern half of the Province.
What most Canadians don't realize is that the SouthWest is rolling ranch land with Cypress Hills, the highest elevation east of the Rockies until you get to the Quebec/Labrador border. Saskatchewan has the most northern active sand dunes on Earth as well.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:17 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Did you know that:

Campobello Island NB is a Canadian exclave.

It's only year round access is via the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Bridge from Lubec ME. In order to get back into Canada, you have to drive for an hour though Washington County ME.

The island has a very American feel about it. The residents speak with a down east Maine accent. Guards at the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Peace Park on the island (where the FDR cottage is) all wear American park ranger uniforms. The place has a weird "not quite in Canada" feel to it. Campobello feels exotic, it's isolation is compelling and its a beautiful place too. It's one of my favourite places in NB.

There are several American exclaves along the border (like Point Roberts WA), but I'm pretty sure that Campobello is the only Canadian exclave.
It's an interesting place. There are other exclaves though:

Akwesasne, Que., near Cornwall, an exclave like Point Roberts.

Ontario has a small section of Pine and Curry Island in Lake of the Woods - one of the only places where Ontario borders the U.S. on land.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:32 AM

I’ve been to Akwasasne before. Also a strange place. It doesn’t feel like Canada at all.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I’ve been to Akwasasne before. Also a strange place. It doesn’t feel like Canada at all.
Agreed...no official border crossing, just speed sign in km/h and french appearing on some signs although it doesn't feel like quebec. Ontario licence plates and 613 area code for the area.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 1:28 PM

I didn't see a single Quebec licence plate in Akwesasne. Most were NY plates with the odd Ontario plate. At least that was my experience in the town of Akwesasne, I have not been to the rest of the reserve to the east.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I didn't see a single Quebec licence plate in Akwesasne. Most were NY plates with the odd Ontario plate. At least that was my experience in the town of Akwesasne, I have not been to the rest of the reserve to the east.
Were you in this part?

https://goo.gl/maps/9tY5UsAAnEy

only way in or out is via New York state

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:44 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Here's a local Vancouver thing that would probably confuse a lot of people (even locals). It would be just as correct (or incorrect) to say "go east on Granville Street... " or "go north on Georgia Street... " instead of the more customary directions that presume the downtown streets run north and south. They don't. The street grid on the downtown Vancouver peninsula sits at a 45 degree angle to north/south/east/west. In the summer I've seen the shadows run exactly parallel to the streets at 3:00 PM standard time. Even some professional maps for downtown real estate have the North indicator at the wrong angle.

This is a correct map (from 1946!).

source: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/434667801517968806/
The same effect in Lower Lonsdale (although not quite 45 degrees) means I almost never get direct light through my windows - except for way too early on summer mornings - since my condo faces northeast. Didn't know that when I moved here.

Also I just realized I have never seen a map of the north shore without Hwy 1, interesting.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Were you in this part?

https://goo.gl/maps/9tY5UsAAnEy

only way in or out is via New York state
Yes this part. The rest of the reserve identified as Akwesasne reserve no. 15 to the east (west of Salmon river) is also only accessible from NY state. There is no bridge over the Salmon river.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada