HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:40 PM

The 2nd phase is much better, but I agree the final product was awful for the original tower. The design in the renderings was a lot more impressive.

Still, I'd take two 19-story towers that are designed properly at the ground level for downtown Phoenix. Imagine how those would look north or west of the YMCA?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The 2nd phase is much better, but I agree the final product was awful for the original tower. The design in the renderings was a lot more impressive.

Still, I'd take two 19-story towers that are designed properly at the ground level for downtown Phoenix. Imagine how those would look north or west of the YMCA?
Are you sure you want the developer of the Hub downtown? They only do student-oriented housing, and you have voiced strong opinions against that.

Unfortunately, we will not see any projects from that group in Arizona any time soon. They are very much a student-housing only company, and basically go from college town to college town building these types of projects. At the moment they are building one in Oregon and another in Nebraska.

The second phase of University House is actually being done by the company that bought the Hub and re-branded it. They are mostly a company that runs and manages these types of projects, not necessarily builds them. My guess is that they entered that venture because the second phase of the project was already proposed, not sure they would be open to going out there and doing it all on their own. But who knows, if it is successful, we might see them take a stab at downtown.

The group I am interested in seeing more of in downtown is Smithfield. I know that JJ, you have voiced concerns about their project for Central Station; but I believe they got the bid because they were the bid that actually would get built. Seeing their work in Arcadia and having met some of their employees, I can see that they are a company that cares about detail and making good buildings, not just a profit. They could have easily gone the cheap route and built another stick-frame stucco apartment complex, but instead chose to go with something a little more expensive and, in my point of view, classy. Looking at their website, their work in Chicago is pretty cool too. I think they are the only company out there right now that would truly be willing to invest in several high rise projects in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Are you sure you want the developer of the Hub downtown? They only do student-oriented housing, and you have voiced strong opinions against that.

Unfortunately, we will not see any projects from that group in Arizona any time soon. They are very much a student-housing only company, and basically go from college town to college town building these types of projects. At the moment they are building one in Oregon and another in Nebraska.

The second phase of University House is actually being done by the company that bought the Hub and re-branded it. They are mostly a company that runs and manages these types of projects, not necessarily builds them. My guess is that they entered that venture because the second phase of the project was already proposed, not sure they would be open to going out there and doing it all on their own. But who knows, if it is successful, we might see them take a stab at downtown.

The group I am interested in seeing more of in downtown is Smithfield. I know that JJ, you have voiced concerns about their project for Central Station; but I believe they got the bid because they were the bid that actually would get built. Seeing their work in Arcadia and having met some of their employees, I can see that they are a company that cares about detail and making good buildings, not just a profit. They could have easily gone the cheap route and built another stick-frame stucco apartment complex, but instead chose to go with something a little more expensive and, in my point of view, classy. Looking at their website, their work in Chicago is pretty cool too. I think they are the only company out there right now that would truly be willing to invest in several high rise projects in downtown.
I don't have a problem with student housing as a blanket rule, just like I don't think every development needs to have a retail component. But, there's certain streets where I feel retail is important for the long-term success of the street/neighborhood. The same is true with student housing. I have concerns with the amount being built in Tempe compared to the amount of market rate and owner-occupied units. For a city that is bringing in a strong employment base, upscale hotels, and has plans for growing further with a streetcar system, I don't think it makes sense to line streets like College and Apache with residential that goes dead each summer and is filled during the year with bodies that have low disposable income. Vibrancy comes from a mix of uses, and I feel at times that the balance is way too heavily skewed.

Anyway, that said, there is a demand for housing downtown and much of that is coming from the growing student population - as evidenced by Taylor Place, the only student housing downtown, being overbooked for the second year in a row. There are multiple market rate and condo projects on line for Phoenix, so adding dedicated student housing into the mix wouldn't make me concerned. My main concern with anything ASU-related downtown is that it interacts with downtown, and The Hub, for all its design flaws, has had a great impact on the College Ave scene with the way it was designed on the ground level. I would much rather a project like that come downtown than for a 3rd Taylor Place, which will demolish a community asset (the Valley Youth Theatre), and cluster all student housing onto 1 small block when I think downtown would benefit from having them spread out - to promote active street life in more than one area, and to less the effects of having a massive empty area in the summer months.

As for SmithGroup/Central Station, I wish the attention to detail you've seen in their work was evident in their plan for that project. The design is aesthetically pleasing - it's tall, shiny and has curves unlike most of downtown's skyscrapers. I wish I could see final plans before commenting further, but the superblock layout of the design is reminiscent of many of downtown's worse dead zones. The fact that the apartment building itself takes up about 1/4 (maybe even less) of the entire lot, and the rest is dedicated to a parking structure is pretty disappointing. Van Buren is zoned for the most intense retail uses, and I do think the lack of retail within a transit hub is a missed opportunity. I don't know how the commercial space is being integrated, but transit offices and an incubator (I've lost count of the amount of incubators we have in this city) don't promote the most active of streetscapes. I also dislike the orientation of the building which will obstruct some great views from the park, and the fact that they're turning Polk into a private drive (meaning the only permeable ground level will be facing a private drive). Their portfolio isn't bad at all and I'm not against them in general - I worked on a project of theirs at GateWay Community College that was impressive - but I can't get that excited over Central Station.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:50 PM

This may have already been answered, but does anyone know if the Arizona Center for Law will be taller than Taylor Place? I was on Roosevelt last night and wondered if, when completed, it would be visible from the North.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
This may have already been answered, but does anyone know if the Arizona Center for Law will be taller than Taylor Place? I was on Roosevelt last night and wondered if, when completed, it would be visible from the North.
No, it won't taller than Taylor Place. It's 6 stories, and I believe will be nearly identical in height to the Cronkite building.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:58 AM

It drives me crazy that this - https://www.facebook.com/EvansChurch...type=1&theater - is still allowed to happen in spite of Urban Form. What was the point of employing those guidelines BTW if every developer gets to cry their way out of their enforcement?

This site was specifically called out as one where the Biomedical Campus needed to transition and connect with downtown; thus, a mixed use garage was required so at least ground level retail could serve as some form of connectivity between the two. But, of course, they got out of that and are building a monstrous 1-use structure across the street from another 1-use monstrous structure.

There's no point of having campuses downtown if they're built in segregated areas with monster parking garages next to each site so that students and workers can hop in their car at the end of the day and get out of the city. That adds absolutely nothing to the economy or streetscape of downtown.

This should've been built on 7th Street regardless. But, obviously, the thought of how this campus plays into the greater picture of downtown isn't important.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Arizona Center renovation
The Downtown Phoenix campus continues to expand. Sun Devils can now take advantage of an additional 15,000 square feet of classrooms, laboratories and meeting areas located on the second and third floors of the Arizona Center. The School of Letters and Sciences will move from nearby University Center and join the existing retail, dining and office mix at this development, originally built in 1989. (ASU News)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 11:13 PM

New tower crane is going up... I think it is for the larger part 2 of the Cancer Center. I'm not sure of what the building is, but it's that funky copper cladded one.

My info might be all wrong on the building, but a tower crane is going up northwest of 7th St & Polk.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 11:59 PM

Well thats good news. Is the parking garage still suppose to have that cool facade? I know nothing is cool about a parking garage but at least a little design is nice

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
New tower crane is going up... I think it is for the larger part 2 of the Cancer Center. I'm not sure of what the building is, but it's that funky copper cladded one.

My info might be all wrong on the building, but a tower crane is going up northwest of 7th St & Polk.
That's the 10-story Sciences building. Basically, a taller version of the copper building that already exists.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
That's the 10-story Sciences building. Basically, a taller version of the copper building that already exists.
http://uanews.org/story/ua-breaks-gr...hoenix-project

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 7:28 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
It's for the UofA Science Center.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 7:42 PM

I wonder if there was a rush to get that erected before the Super Bowl...cranes in the sky look good for a city in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I wonder if there was a rush to get that erected before the Super Bowl...cranes in the sky look good for a city in my opinion.
Very good point. Really liking all of the work they have done for Superbowl signage and the stages etc that make the empty lots look a little better. I didn't work downtown at the time the last Superbowl was here so I wouldn't really know but I don't remember them having so many activities downtown. Am I correct about this?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelbanger View Post
Very good point. Really liking all of the work they have done for Superbowl signage and the stages etc that make the empty lots look a little better. I didn't work downtown at the time the last Superbowl was here so I wouldn't really know but I don't remember them having so many activities downtown. Am I correct about this?
Would anyone mind trying to get some photos of the signage and everything going on downtown for the Superbowl? This former resident would love to see how it looks!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Would anyone mind trying to get some photos of the signage and everything going on downtown for the Superbowl? This former resident would love to see how it looks!
I might try and make it down there tomorrow to snap some photos...can't believe how long it's been since I've been down there during the day to walk around...I haven't even seen the new Cancer Center yet!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelbanger View Post
You are correct. Phoenix was not the official host of the SuperBowl last time; all of the parties, nightlife, etc. was centered in Glendale and Scottsdale (primarily the latter, IIRC). This time, downtown Phoenix won that honor, hence the construction of "Super Bowl Central" in the immediate core of downtown.

I hope all of the work being put into this has long-lasting impacts. While the economic development hopes the city has might be a longshot (a CEO here for the Bowl liking Phoenix enough to relocate/expand there), there are going to be huge amounts of visitors from the greater metro who have a misconceived perception of what downtown is like, and if they leave with a good impression, it will go a long way toward downtown Phoenix being the true civic center of the region as it should be. There's also been so much grassroots efforts to clean up empty lots and fill them with temporary uses - hopefully, some of the uses can become permanent and the added activity sparks *QUALITY* development.

As for the Sciences Center at the Biomedical Campus, I won't repeat my long rants on how insular the entire campus is, but wouldn't a building like this be perfect for a medically-focused incubator on the ground level, along with a teaching health clinic that benefits the entire downtown? Something like the clinic going in the Sun Merc building would be a much better fit here and actually integrate these fortresses into the greater downtown picture. I cringe for the day when the campus really starts surrounding Evans Churchill. Huge, one-use, dead-at-5 buildings will eventually cover the entire landscape west of 4th. I can't imagine how depressing that scene will be from places like Skyline, the 4th/McKinley housing, etc. None of the 3 schools could leverage a partnership for a ground-level teaching pharmacy? And, don't these folks need to eat? How about health-focused eateries?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
You are correct. Phoenix was not the official host of the SuperBowl last time; all of the parties, nightlife, etc. was centered in Glendale and Scottsdale (primarily the latter, IIRC). This time, downtown Phoenix won that honor, hence the construction of "Super Bowl Central" in the immediate core of downtown.

I hope all of the work being put into this has long-lasting impacts. While the economic development hopes the city has might be a longshot (a CEO here for the Bowl liking Phoenix enough to relocate/expand there), there are going to be huge amounts of visitors from the greater metro who have a misconceived perception of what downtown is like, and if they leave with a good impression, it will go a long way toward downtown Phoenix being the true civic center of the region as it should be. There's also been so much grassroots efforts to clean up empty lots and fill them with temporary uses - hopefully, some of the uses can become permanent and the added activity sparks *QUALITY* development.

As for the Sciences Center at the Biomedical Campus, I won't repeat my long rants on how insular the entire campus is, but wouldn't a building like this be perfect for a medically-focused incubator on the ground level, along with a teaching health clinic that benefits the entire downtown? Something like the clinic going in the Sun Merc building would be a much better fit here and actually integrate these fortresses into the greater downtown picture. I cringe for the day when the campus really starts surrounding Evans Churchill. Huge, one-use, dead-at-5 buildings will eventually cover the entire landscape west of 4th. I can't imagine how depressing that scene will be from places like Skyline, the 4th/McKinley housing, etc. None of the 3 schools could leverage a partnership for a ground-level teaching pharmacy? And, don't these folks need to eat? How about health-focused eateries?

sorry no pics but DT looked great these last 2 weeks-very impressive actually. it felt like a downtown.

hopefully it is a big turn out/great game like in 2008 to make to phx look great.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:50 AM

Quote:
I took a few on tuesday while at work but honestly as of thursday when I was last down there it was even better. I'll snap some on Monday when I am back at work.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Here's some photos from Downtown Phoenix Journal Facebook page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest